C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Winter Tires Mounted

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 AM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Winter Tires Mounted

Colder temps are coming in Tulsa tonight. Got my winter wheels & tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) mounted on the car yesterday.

Before:

After:

Last edited by RobWilson; 10-27-2017 at 10:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RobWilson:
corvette72778 (11-13-2017), JerriVette (11-13-2017), Kyflyer (11-14-2017), PLRX (11-16-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 PM
brianinvegas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they run flat or non run flat?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Non-runflat

Originally Posted by brianinvegas
Are they run flat or non run flat?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
brianinvegas
Instructor

Darn. I like the security of run flats for trips through the desert outside of Vegas. Are you carrying fix a flat, or something like that, just in case you get a flat?
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (11-13-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

How do the Alpin PA4 tires ride compared to the Michelin Super Sport runflats? I'm assuming you were running those tires before changing to the Alpins?

How is the noise level? Any other comparisons?

Thanks,

Bob
Kyflyer (11-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:02 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I need to get me a set of them.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I will probably buy a repair kit before making any road trips. I used to carry one in my C5 (came standard in the C5 Z06). I drove my C5 for 10 years without runflats.

Originally Posted by brianinvegas
Darn. I like the security of run flats for trips through the desert outside of Vegas. Are you carrying fix a flat, or something like that, just in case you get a flat?

Last edited by RobWilson; 10-29-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:59 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I was running the Super Sport runflats that came on the car. Will report back with some comparison information after I've driven a few miles with these tires.

Originally Posted by R6T7
How do the Alpin PA4 tires ride compared to the Michelin Super Sport runflats? I'm assuming you were running those tires before changing to the Alpins?

How is the noise level? Any other comparisons?

Thanks,

Bob
Kyflyer (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

The car looks WAY better with the stock chromes.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jus cruisin
the car looks way better with the stock chromes.
not
Old 10-31-2017, 09:18 AM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You can't post a picture with chrome wheels on this forum without the chrome lovers and chrome haters chiming in.

Personally, I prefer the look of the blade wheels that came on the car, as part of the Spice Red package. However, I do like the look of the chrome Z06 wheels on there as well.

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
not
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Blazeman
Intermediate

What size are they? I’m in Colorado, what choices are there for the colder climate?I now have the original cup 2s on my 2016 Z06. I’m getting the vibe not to drive them ln the colder weather.

Last edited by Blazeman; 11-01-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Stock Z06 sizes 285/30/19 and 335/25/20. As far as I know, this is the only cold weather tire available in the stock Z06/GS sizes. Others are running the Pirelli Winter Sottzeros in narrower widths.

Originally Posted by Blazeman
What size are they? I’m in Colorado, what choices are there for the colder climate?I now have the original cup 2s on my 2016 Z06. I’m getting the vibe not to drive them ln the colder weather.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 AM
corvette72778
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Got my Alpin PA4s installed after the temp dropped for the first time to the mid 20s this weekend. So glad to get the summer tires off so I don't have to worry about driving in the rain or the tires cracking in the cold. SO GLAD! After doing research, it seems that the tires can possibly crack in the mid teens or lower.

It was an interesting install. These guys in a rush to install my tires and close the shop had 2 jacks on one side. No problem. But as they had one wheel off one side still, the guy let one of the jacks down and moved the jack to the other side to jack it off the ground and took the tire off that side. So i had basically 1 wheel on the ground and a jack on each side. When the guy was putting a wheel back on, the car was wobbling on the jacks!!! I was nervous to say the least. I should of said not to jack the other side off the ground BEFORE he did that. I told him after the car was wobbling. I didn't know though. Close call!

All the tires fit in my car for the road trip home. I'll be posting the cup 2 tires for sale eventually. I believe a pair was new in August when it was traded into the dealership before I bought it.
Attached Images      

Last edited by corvette72778; 11-13-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Nice change up look season to season with the different wheels.

Car looks awesome both ways.

Good to see you're using the vehicle all year round.,,

Stunning color scheme too.

Wow!
RobWilson (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice tires, I need to do the same.
Where you a little concerned about the carbon ceramic brake rotors?? I would definitely use the rotor protectors that came with the car when removing or installing the wheels. Those CCR's are not cheep!!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by l2vette
Nice tires, I need to do the same.
Where you a little concerned about the carbon ceramic brake rotors?? I would definitely use the rotor protectors that came with the car when removing or installing the wheels. Those CCR's are not cheep!!
This car came with rotor protectors? There is a bunch of stuff in the cubby hole in the hatch. Didn't even know about protectors. I was just worried about the wheels. Didn't even consider the brakes. The biggest issue installing these tires is nobody has the right equipment and if they try to install the tires with the wrong equipment I guess the wheels can get scratched or something. I think the arm has something different at the end of it. The dealership told me theirs is metal but the one at the shop I had the tires installed the arm was white at the end making me think it had something to protect the wheels. Maybe it was plastic, rubber or something.

I remember when I worked at the Dodge Dealership as a service writer. A Viper came in and I asked the manager if we should take any precautions with it like keep it inside over night or anything. He said its just a car with 4 wheels like all the others. lol

I really didn't even think about the possibility of any damage to the CCR though. Although I would not of had the corvette on jacks with no wheels like they had and the car wobbling, they were pros and did a good job.

I had the tires delivered to Firestone from Tire Rack because they had a good rating. Tire Rack gives you tire places to choose from to have them delivered. When they were delivered Firestone told me up front, they didn't have the machine and they couldn't install them because of how wide the tires were and because of the low profile. I then went across the street to the Chevy dealership. Surprisingly, they couldn't install them either!! The Chevy dealership outsources the tire work to a specialty wheel shop down the road. They had closed already. So, went to this wheel and tire shop in the hood! ha ha ha I saw dozens of wheels on the wall including some 24" wheels so I figured this place was legit. The guy said he had a 30k machine too. It wasn't cheap though to switch from my summer cup 2s to the Alpins! $240 after negotiating down from about $300! What option do I have when nobody can do it. I feel I got ripped.

How much did anybody else pay to get winter tires put on their Z06?

Last edited by corvette72778; 11-13-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Z06NJ (11-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Tires Mounted

Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Be very careful with the rotors. If you chip a rotor, it will have to be replaced and that tire install fee you paid will seem cheap, comparitively.

As far as cost to mount the tires. I bought my rears from Tire Rack and my fronts from Discount Tire. Discount Tire mounted all four tires. They charged me $62 to mount the 2 rear tires. The fronts were free (included in the tire price).

Originally Posted by corvette72778
This car came with rotor protectors? There is a bunch of stuff in the cubby hole in the hatch. Didn't even know about protectors. I was just worried about the wheels. Didn't even consider the brakes. The biggest issue installing these tires is nobody has the right equipment and if they try to install the tires with the wrong equipment I guess the wheels can get scratched or something. I think the arm has something different at the end of it. The dealership told me theirs is metal but the one at the shop I had the tires installed the arm was white at the end making me think it had something to protect the wheels. Maybe it was plastic, rubber or something.

I remember when I worked at the Dodge Dealership as a service writer. I asked the manager if we should take any precautions with it like keep it inside over night or anything. He said its just a car with 4 wheels like all the others. lol I really didn't even think about the possibility of any damage to the CCR though. Although I would not of had the corvette on jacks with no wheels like they had and the car wobbling, they were pros and did a good job.

I had the tires delivered to Firestone from Tire Rack because they had a good rating. Tire Rack gives you tire places to choose from to have them delivered. When they were delivered Firestone told me up front, they didn't have the machine and they couldn't install them because of how wide the tires were and because of the low profile. I then went across the street to the Chevy dealership. Surprisingly, they couldn't install them either!! The Chevy dealership outsources the tire work to a specialty wheel shop down the road. They had closed already. So, went to this wheel and tire shop in the hood! ha ha ha I saw tons of wheels on the wall including some 24" wheels. The guy said he had a 30k machine too. It wasn't cheap though! $240 after negotiating down from about $300! What option do I have when nobody can do it. I feel I got ripped.

How much did anybody else pay to get winter tires put on their Z06?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette72778
This car came with rotor protectors? There is a bunch of stuff in the cubby hole in the hatch. Didn't even know about protectors.
When I took delivery of my Z07, all the CCR Protectors were in the back cubby.
corvette72778 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RobWilson
Be very careful with the rotors. If you chip a rotor, it will have to be replaced and that tire install fee you paid will seem cheap, comparitively.

As far as cost to mount the tires. I bought my rears from Tire Rack and my fronts from Discount Tire. Discount Tire mounted all four tires. They charged me $62 to mount the 2 rear tires. The fronts were free (included in the tire price).
That is about right to install those tires. It’s worth the extra money for someone who can do a good job. In my experience places that don’t change more haven’t done it before so they don’t know it’s more work. You really dodged a bullet not using the rotor protection. If you don’t have them a new set can be purchased for about $25.
corvette72778 (11-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Mounted