C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Xpel installer cut my paint...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Connman
I can post some close-up pics of mine - can you post a wider shot of what area of the bumper that is so I can take the same pic?
Hey, I can tonight because I'm at work right now. But it's the lower half of the front bumper right above the lip. The carbon fiber in the photo is my stage 3 carbon fiber front lip.

The lines are pretty wavy, uneven, jagged across the whole front bumper on that very bottom line
Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cyi1
My very close, childhood friend has spent A LOT of money with them on multiple cars and they all look amazing.
I also looked at their reviews on Yelp/Google Places and they were almost all 5 star.
I didn't think I would have to drive over there and see all their previous work. I don't know if this is true or not, but I recently heard their best xpel installer recently quit and so the result is 3 half-assed attempts on my car.

I understand when people tell me to deal with it, but it wasn't a cheap job that I paid for. I paid for a product from a detail shop that doesn't seem to pay attention to detail.

What makes me even more mad about this cut is that the owner said to me "we NEVER trim. We don't want to put a blade to paint. Especially NEW CAR paint." Yet I have this big cut on my paint.

The first time I picked up the car, I pointed out issues on both fenders and the front bumper. I was told that they would schedule me in and fix the issues. WHY THE HELL did I even get the call that the car was ready when the issues were so obvious.... The 2nd time I was told the "car is ready", it was even worse because they parked it outside to replace the xpel. I've had to ask people to take me to this shop 4-5 times to pick up, drop off, pick up, drop off, pick up.... This last pick up, I didn't want to **** off the wife even more with this film crap so I signed up for Lyft and spent $20 on a ride there.
Probably the best $20 ever spent.

I could have my car Xpel for free and I passed.
I did have them put a little wrap on it though.
I bought the material. Little over $400.
And they too parked it out front, got some exposure.

Last edited by jaden61; 11-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

IDK I am a jack of all trades.......... put Xpel on 2 cars myself in select areas following some you tube videos. Even I know not to cut the film on the car!!!! That is crazy!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:24 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

My tenant use this tape when applicable.
http://www.langeman.com/edge-cutting.../about-wrapcut

Last edited by jaden61; 11-07-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:57 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Forum member sent me pics of his xpel job in the same area. It's literally night and day difference... Mine looks like amateur hour.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Takoyaki
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that. That is so crappy. I got the pre-cut 3M Pro series on Amazon for $290 and did the front end by myself. I'm more than happy with it. Looks like I did better than some crappy pro.

I used the bulk to do the lower end on the side of the car up to rear fender and it looks okay from a yard away. Trimming was the hardest part and the razor blade was not good enough but at least, I didn't cut the paint.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Forum member sent me pics of his xpel job in the same area. It's literally night and day difference... Mine looks like amateur hour.
Well I was gonna post a pic, but the one you posted looks EXACTLY like mine. perfectly cut lines, all the way to the edge.
... If they've re-done it already, clearly they just don't know what they're doing.
Are you sure it's Xpel? I'd contact Xpel with pics and the name of the installer.

I believe Xpel is a sponsor and posts here...? Maybe PM them and see if they can do anything for you. I'm certain they don't want their product represented in this manner.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I can't believe you're still dealing with this BS....... I hope you wrote reviews on all major listing sites to warn others.

Did Xpel not step up to help you out? Offer to have the work done somewhere else? No way would I have let them try 3 times seeing the work on try number one and two.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Red Devil
I can't believe you're still dealing with this BS....... I hope you wrote reviews on all major listing sites to warn others.

Did Xpel not step up to help you out? Offer to have the work done somewhere else? No way would I have let them try 3 times seeing the work on try number one and two.
My schedule has been really bad lately and I'm working 70 hr weeks and I only have Mondays off.

Xpel told me to let Shine Auto Salon try again or get a refund and take it somewhere else. I spoke to Derek at Atlanta Protective Films and he told me they were booked for the next month. Both of these shops are an hour away from me.

In order for Derek's shop to do the install, I'd have to find a way to drop it off at Shine Auto Salon to remove the film, then find a ride to pick up the car and take it back home, then find a ride to help me drop off the car with Derek whenever could fit me into the schedule, etc.

Dan at Shine Auto Salon told me they wanted to get it right and make me happy. They even offered to flatbed the car to their shop because of my busy schedule. Last Tuesday (October 31st), they had my car picked up and I got the call to pick up on Monday. When I went to pick up the car, Dan wasn't there. I noticed immediately that the passenger side fender was not replaced and there was the same lint. Top half of front bumper looked much improved as did the passenger fender. They replaced the driver's side tint because of a crease and left the solution to dry all over the door that had been ceramic coated.

All day I waited for Dan to ask how I felt about the work. Not a single call or text. I was actually going to just live with the bits of lint and the ugly edges on the bottom half of the bumper, but then I saw the deep cut in the paint. I posted the cut here and asked others to show me their installs. After seeing a proper install, it's hard for me to just live with my car especially for the amount of money I paid.

It's time for a refund to take it somewhere else. I don't even want the ceramic coat after Derek fixes the film... I don't want to take my car back to Shine Auto Salon ever again...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Brand new car. What a nightmare.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
Brand new car. What a nightmare.
Literally brand new delivered to their doorstep with 8 miles on it to g̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶e̶ be butchered
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

What side of town are you on? I have a 24' inTech enclosed trailer and can maybe help you get the car to Derek if you want and can work our schedules out (not sure your availability or if you would even trust a relative stranger taking your car). I know you don't know me but I have trailered my C7 Z06 all over the country safely for track events. In fact, my car went straight from the Museum in Bowling Green to Derek with not a single mile put on by me to have the entire car wrapped as I didn't want any damage done. Obviously you still have to deal with Shine and I have no desire to get in the middle of that. Just an offer, feel free to message me if you'd like.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fleming23
What side of town are you on? I have a 24' inTech enclosed trailer and can maybe help you get the car to Derek if you want and can work our schedules out (not sure your availability or if you would even trust a relative stranger taking your car). I know you don't know me but I have trailered my C7 Z06 all over the country safely for track events. In fact, my car went straight from the Museum in Bowling Green to Derek with not a single mile put on by me to have the entire car wrapped as I didn't want any damage done. Obviously you still have to deal with Shine and I have no desire to get in the middle of that. Just an offer, feel free to message me if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer. I'm in lawrenceville so that's why it's been hell taking the car to shine. Takes 55min-1hr on McGinnis ferry in the morning. Had to do the trip 5 times now. My wife isn't too happy about following me there to bring me back lol. I'll see what happens with shine but I'll keep your offer in the back of my mind. Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
What side of town are you on? I have a 24' inTech enclosed trailer and can maybe help you get the car to Derek if you want and can work our schedules out (not sure your availability or if you would even trust a relative stranger taking your car). I know you don't know me but I have trailered my C7 Z06 all over the country safely for track events. In fa

ct, my car went straight from the Museum in Bowling Green to Derek with not a single mile put on by me to have the entire car wrapped as I didn't want any damage done. Obviously you still have to deal with Shine and I have no desire to get in the middle of that. Just an offer, feel free to message me if you'd like.
This forum never seizes to amaze me, what an offer!

Car guys are the best!
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (01-19-2018)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Just got home from work and did a thorough walk around. Found another long cut on the passenger fender. It actually extends under the new film. It was probably cut on attempt #2.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Holy hell... now it's multiple razor scratches? I'd be livid.
Why on earth would they be trimming so much off the edges??? It's all pre-cut! ...unless they're just eyeballing it off a bulk roll to save them money.
I'd be raising hell for a full refund, and if not, I'd be filing in small claims court. No excuse for that.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

You should demand that they repair your vehicle and refund your money. Personally, I would just get an estimated cost to repair (razor cuts) your vehicle from a preferred body shop. Then I would request that Dan and Company pay for the removal of the film plus the repair cost for body work. I would not allow his company to touch my car anymore. Then share your story, via other outlets, with others to let them know the type of work that Shine Auto Salon does. GL and hopefully everything works out for you

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel installer cut my paint...

Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 01Defense
You should demand that they repair your vehicle and refund your money. Personally, I would just get an estimated cost to repair (razor cuts) your vehicle from a preferred body shop. Then I would request that Dan and Company pay for the removal of the film plus the repair cost for body work. I would not allow his company to touch my car anymore. Then share your story, via other outlets, with others to let them know the type of work that Shine Auto Salon does. GL and hopefully everything works out for you
This sounds like my only choice. Who knows what other cuts there are along the edges of this most recenly installed film
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

This sounds like my only choice. Who knows what other cuts there are along the edges of this most recenly installed film
If you used a credit card I would file a complaint with them. They can reverse the charges. Not sure how much removing Xpel and fixing paint will cost.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Edwardz
If you used a credit card I would file a complaint with them. They can reverse the charges. Not sure how much removing Xpel and fixing paint will cost.
I did use one of my cards that's really good about customer service. I paid 80% on card and paid $655 in cash. I'm fine if I don't get the cash back. The tint job is acceptable. Everything else wasn't.

I was going to go to Rick Hendrick Chevy's body shop and get an estimate to remove the film and fix the 2 cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more from this most recent xpel install. I want to send that estimate + get a refund for the front end xpel/ceramic coating.

Look at this dried up solution all over my ceramic coating I paid them for. This is how my car has been at every pickup. It's never been cleaned when they're done and tell me to pick the car up. The 2nd time I picked the car up, there was dried up solution all over the engine bay area and around the plastic where the windshield wipers are.

For a detail shop, their attention to detail is awful.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cyi1; 11-08-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Xpel installer cut my paint...