C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Xpel installer cut my paint...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Xpel installer cut my paint...

So after a month and 3 attempts to get my xpel install done right, i̶t̶ l̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ g̶o̶o̶d̶ t̶h̶i̶s̶ t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶ O̶n̶l̶y̶ a̶ c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶s̶ o̶f̶ t̶i̶n̶y̶ l̶i̶n̶t̶ h̶e̶r̶e̶ a̶n̶d̶ t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶ g̶o̶o̶d̶.̶ After another forum member sent me pics of their install, mine looks like **** lol. I guess it looked pretty good to me because I've never had xpel done on a car, but I was dead wrong about how it should turn out.

But here's the issue...
I was installing side marker tint and happened to notice this 1" long cut. It's pretty deep on the right half.

I'm going to send them the pic tomorrow but I don't really know what to do. Tired of dealing with this shop but if this worsens, I don't want to have to fix this myself.

Update - just got home from work and looked everything over very closely. Found another cut on passenger side fender

Update Nov 10 -
So I made a PDF (PM me if you'd like to see it) of everything that's happened with my car and the shop since September 14th. It's about 20 pages and full of photos/text messages between me and their salesman Dan. I got an estimate from rick hendrick collision for removing the film and fixing the paint. It came to $1490.

At the end I explained how I haven't blasted them all over social media because my friend Allen referred me to them. The only reason their name came up here is because another member found their logo in my PDR video. I explained how I've had to drive 7 times (10 times if you count my wife following behind to drop me off) to their shop in the last 2 months. Wasted mileage total on the Z06 itself is about 150 miles and it spent about 2.5 weeks of the last 2 months at their shop. I have a brand new car with cuts in the paint on multiple panels. There is a high chance there are cuts in my side skirts that they xpel'ed also. I asked for a full refund of what I paid ($3655) to get this **** fixed and to move on.

I sent that this morning and just now the owner called and said he wants to refund me a total of $2990. $1500 for the xpel/ceramic to the front end, and only AFTER the work is done at hendrick collision, he wants to meet me and give me a check for the other $1490. First, I don't trust them so if I took this deal I'd need it in writing. Second, I don't think he cares that I (and my wife) have wasted 2 months driving back and forth, wasted time driving to meet Dan AT HIS CONVENIENCE(no showed once) to see the issues, and he damaged a brand new car. For all of that he wants it to be a wash after I go through the hassle of fixing it myself.

I told him "Sure, paypal me the $1500. I'll be blasting this all over social media."

Then I came to my senses and e-mailed him to send me a check because I don't trust him and he might file a dispute on paypal.

Last edited by cyi1; 08-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Chalk it up to life brother. Fixing that will cause more harm than good. Leave it be. Could happen next time you park it somewhere. We all have oops marks on and in our cars if you look hard enough you'll find it.

vent here and move on
Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 11-07-2017, 03:21 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Dang...sounds like a nightmare.
That looks like a horrible install. Did they really stop that short on the edges?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

That really sucks, there are many shops that install clear protection, but only a handful that do it correctly, i.e. not cut into the paint/clear coat
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Chalk it up to life brother. Fixing that will cause more harm than good. Leave it be. Could happen next time you park it somewhere. We all have oops marks on and in our cars if you look hard enough you'll find it.

vent here and move on
I know what you're saying but it's frustrating when you pay almost $4k for sloppy work
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Pick your battle's. I would live with it.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyv
Pick your battle's. I would live with it.
I would live with it. FWIW the best installer in Atlanta by far is Derek Johnson at Atlanta Protective Films. He has done several cars for me and does all of the work for Ferrari of Atlanta. Perfectionist and fair in pricing. Keep it in mind for the future.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
I would live with it. FWIW the best installer in Atlanta by far is Derek Johnson at Atlanta Protective Films. He has done several cars for me and does all of the work for Ferrari of Atlanta. Perfectionist and fair in pricing. Keep it in mind for the future.
Absolutely use Derek if possible! His work is top notch!

That seam and edge looks terrible! I still want to know who you are using..... I have a good guess from prior experience.

Edit - never mind - I saw who did it from the Valet video you posted. 100% confirmed my suspicion, I will never take a car to them for film! I had them do a new Grand Cherokee Summit front end twice and it still looked like crap. Trash accumulated under the edges, etc.

This is what I ended up with after the 2nd attempt to replace.

Last edited by fleming23; 11-07-2017 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cyi1 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:47 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fleming23
Absolutely use Derek if possible! His work is top notch!

That seam and edge looks terrible! I still want to know who you are using..... I have a good guess from prior experience.

Edit - never mind - I saw who did it from the Valet video you posted. 100% confirmed my suspicion, I will never take a car to them for film! I had them do a new Grand Cherokee Summit front end twice and it still looked like crap. Trash accumulated under the edges, etc.

This is what I ended up with after the 2nd attempt to replace.

I wish I had taken it to Derek the first time.
But yeah, the shop was Shine Auto Salon and I'm not happy with what I got for what I paid.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

I had Expel put on my 15 Z. It was blowing off of the rockers at 1000 miles. Will never use the stuff again. I will live with the dings in my paint. Nothing worse then paying some ******* to f#^&k up your car.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

horrible install.........
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

If it's only in the clear coat, it's fixable, especially with a light color. Just a tiny bit of clear on a pin to fill the gap, squeegee very carefully so as to not spread it around. Let it dry/cure and tape off the area in question and carefully level it out with 2000 (or higher) grit. Polish as desired.

Or you can do as has been recommended above - leave it alone and live with it, or as I sometimes find myself telling the bosslady who lives here, get over it. That last part doesn't always work...
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
or as I sometimes find myself telling the bosslady who lives here, get over it. That last part doesn't always work...
If I had ever used the three high lighted words in that sequence I wouldn't be here to read this.

Bill
Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

I would think people would ask to see their other work prior or come in when they have one ready to finish due to the cost just not pics. Sorry but those lines look like crap. It seems it's a 50/50 chance at getting a good job.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:31 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
I would think people would ask to see their other work prior or come in when they have one ready to finish due to the cost just not pics. Sorry but those lines look like crap. It seems it's a 50/50 chance at getting a good job.
My very close, childhood friend has spent A LOT of money with them on multiple cars and they all look amazing.
I also looked at their reviews on Yelp/Google Places and they were almost all 5 star.
I didn't think I would have to drive over there and see all their previous work. I don't know if this is true or not, but I recently heard their best xpel installer recently quit and so the result is 3 half-assed attempts on my car.

I understand when people tell me to deal with it, but it wasn't a cheap job that I paid for. I paid for a product from a detail shop that doesn't seem to pay attention to detail.

What makes me even more mad about this cut is that the owner said to me "we NEVER trim. We don't want to put a blade to paint. Especially NEW CAR paint." Yet I have this big cut on my paint.

The first time I picked up the car, I pointed out issues on both fenders and the front bumper. I was told that they would schedule me in and fix the issues. WHY THE HELL did I even get the call that the car was ready when the issues were so obvious.... The 2nd time I was told the "car is ready", it was even worse because they parked it outside to replace the xpel. I've had to ask people to take me to this shop 4-5 times to pick up, drop off, pick up, drop off, pick up.... This last pick up, I didn't want to **** off the wife even more with this film crap so I signed up for Lyft and spent $20 on a ride there.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Does anyone out there have up close pics of an xpel job on their front bumper??? I want to see how the lines are compared to this shop's installation...

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel installer cut my paint...

Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 AM
RobertAshby
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was cut and improperly installed in New Berlin, NJ. Ryan Kates to be specific. Listed as installer by XPEL ! Sad
Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 AM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

This was the shop's 3rd attempt to correct the issues. There was also a 1" long fold/crease in the driver's side tint so they redid the tint on that window. The most annoying **** about this "detail" shop is their lack of attention to detail. The car has solution dried up all on the driver's side door from the tint install. DRIED UP ON THE CQUARTZ...

Last edited by cyi1; 11-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by cyi1
Does anyone out there have up close pics of an xpel job on their front bumper??? I want to see how the lines are compared to this shop's installation...
I can post some close-up pics of mine - can you post a wider shot of what area of the bumper that is so I can take the same pic?

Quick Reply: Xpel installer cut my paint...