C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Installing ZR1 wing on a C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
It makes sense but it’s probably a very small small improvement. I’d have a lot more confidence if I didn’t get oversteer entering 50-60mph corners at Sebring. The car is super planted in the high speed sweepers but loves to swing the rear out in the slower corners.
That sounds more like a setup issue.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Frankly, the current stage 3 wicker provides a pretty decent amount of downforce - just look and the impact to the rear suspension with speed. They showed the data in the original lightning lap issue. It just does it with more drag than a wing.

Someone should tee up an Ask Tadge to describe the aero properties of the C7 ZR1 relative to the C7 Z06. By the time it gets picked the car will be announced.
The issue is that this barndoor flap exacts a huge drag toll. A wing generates the same DF at 1/4 to 1/6 the drag penalty. There was an enormous amount of research done on this in the 70s.

And there is the adjustability factor.

I'm in with rikhek if the installation is feasible for a reasonable price.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmit
not for me, as far as i'm concerned the ironing board option should include a fart can as well!!!!!!
As long as you're stealing your Mom's ironing board, couldn't you fashion a fart can out of her old percolator-style coffee maker as well?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
The issue is that this barndoor flap exacts a huge drag toll. A wing generates the same DF at 1/4 to 1/6 the drag penalty. There was an enormous amount of research done on this in the 70s.

And there is the adjustability factor.

I'm in with rikhek if the installation is feasible for a reasonable price.
I get it and I'm with you. My point was that saying the ZR1 wing adds 500 lbs of pressure on the back of the car over the Z06 is wrong. It's whatever the delta is between the two and as you stated with a lot less drag.
The following users liked this post:
TTRotary (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Kaged
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Data and charts for this wing?

Dane,
DO you have any data on how this wing? Interested in how it interacts with the C7 body aerodynamics. Looking for information such as the amount of downforce/drag at various angles of attack.
TIA,
Bill
Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
This is the best pic I have of ours. It's not on the car at the moment. We went through the bumper and mounted it to the frame.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaged
Dane,
DO you have any data on how this wing? Interested in how it interacts with the C7 body aerodynamics. Looking for information such as the amount of downforce/drag at various angles of attack.
TIA,
Bill
If that is the LG GT2 World Challenge wing, (it looks like it)
I had it on my 2015 Z(red mirrors, the other one is my 2017)its not bad at all. Good downforce, and adjustable angle. You need to add/increase the front splitter on the car to equalize, if you would like to know more just PM me

Hemi Dave (12-04-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by jvp
This seems potentially fraught with folly. The reason I say that is: aero balance. If that wing does, indeed produce the epic amounts of downforce we expect it to, the front end of the ZR1 (including its extra 140lbs) will be just as important: balance at speed. Otherwise you're probably going to run into a very light steering wheel and that oh-so-unsettling push on track.

Approach this one with care. Don't approach it like the aftermarket, as they generally don't have the aero knowledge nor testing facilities to verify and validate.

Well said. jvp, do you know if the adjustable will will need to be manually adjusted or will it be electronic?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Well said. jvp, do you know if the adjustable will will need to be manually adjusted or will it be electronic?
Come on Steve, it's a Corvette. I guarantee it will be manual as is the current wicker bill.

The only way/reason it would ever be electronic is if it was part of an active aero system.

Rick
Old 11-12-2017, 11:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports
Im sure there will be many options soon. I’ll be making the full front, or at least the front bumper.

As far as the wing, been long time planned and I finally got around to doing the chassis mount. Planing on 1/2 the price of the current very expensive wing mentioned above.
If you male the front bumper look like this not tjat hideous hack job GM did, you'll be Rich (er) lol

not this

Too angular and protruding.

the yellow car? A design like that is what any MCE should look like imo. I would install that on my car. I don't like the actual ZR1 bumper corners.

the wing is a great show piece for the 99% of future ZR owners lol
Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
If you male the front bumper look like this not tjat hideous hack job GM did, you'll be Rich (er) lol

not this

Too angular and protruding.

the yellow car? A design like that is what any MCE should look like imo. I would install that on my car. I don't like the actual ZR1 bumper corners.

the wing is a great show piece for the 99% of future ZR owners lol
The bumper is meant to be functional, not to look great in a Starbucks parking lot...
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaged
Dane,
TIA,
Bill
It is the GT2 wing. I don't have any numbers on the wing for the C7. I'll check with Lou.
Kaged (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
The bumper is meant to be functional, not to look great in a Starbucks parking lot...
Yeah looking to do closer to the render but with the top part to be one smoother line like the Z06 upper opening.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

What about the holes were to original ZO6 wing was attached to the car???
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default What will the 2019 ZO6 look like ??

Ok, so on 11/20 the 2019 order guide will be released. Will the 19 Z change or adopt anything from the ZR1 ???? Or will it be exactly the same as the 18 Z ???

Guesses welcome I'd like to see some cooling improvements, I.e. the ZR1s front grill. I'd also like to be able to get the small ZR1 wing.

Any chance GM will incorporate anything new on the ZO6?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Any chance GM will incorporate anything new on the ZO6?
0 chance. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Frankenstein would be proud.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

It would concern me to screw with the fantastic balance of the Z07 as it is. With that said I'll wait till Rick or Sean adds a wing and splitter and copy them....

It appears not to be very hard to mock up a set of braces from the bumper reinforcement up to the wing brackets on the C7. I bet many companies will be selling wing kits more then ever now with the ZR1 released. Hope they complete the package with a properly tested splitter.

2018 will be interesting to say the least!

Get notified of new replies

To Installing ZR1 wing on a C7Z

Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a great pic but the only one I could find right now...

GSpeed rear wing mounts with the Dual Element wing designed by Simon McBeath coupled with the extreme front splitter from Gspeed that I helped to develop with them. Probably going to look at adding some diffuser sections to the front splitter and work on some different side skirts.

The beauty of the GSpeed wing mounts is that it mounts/dismounts in under 5 minutes and does not cut up the rear cover. You only have to drill holes in the lower cover which is easily replaceable, inexpensive and already painted carbon flash. No color matching necessary.

Rick, I met you the other day at Hallett. If you want to see/drive the wing/splitter combo just let me know.

Last edited by fmcokc; 11-15-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a great pic but the only one I could find right now...

GSpeed rear wing mounts with the Dual Element wing designed by Simon McBeath coupled with the extreme front splitter from Gspeed that I helped to develop with them. Probably going to look at adding some diffuser sections to the front splitter and work on some different side skirts.

The beauty of the GSpeed wing mounts is that it mounts/dismounts in under 5 minutes and does not cut up the rear cover. You only have to drill holes in the lower cover which is easily replaceable, inexpensive and already painted carbon flash. No color matching necessary.

found some other pics:

see how it mounts

front splitter

Hemi Dave (12-04-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

fmcokc,

Thanks for posting and the offer. I'll hit you up to have a look see when I make a decision. Do you have any before and after lap times to determine benefits?

Rick

Quick Reply: Installing ZR1 wing on a C7Z