C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

BMS filter install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BMS filter install

Received my BMs filter today. Pretty simple install. Took around 20 minutes.
First impression is quicker throttle response. This coupled with my Katech TB and Diablo 93 oct tune have pretty much eliminated the throttle lag.

Now to the technical stuff. After 20 miles i decided to log the car with the diablosport intune I2. I’m not sure what to think of the numbers. Can someone explain what I am seeing? Looks like the MAF sensor mass airflow(g/s) is less with the BMS filter than with the stock filter. Is this correct? I figured i would see a bigger number with the BMS filter.

Also noticed 4 degrees of knock retard in the 6000 rpm range. I did not notice any blinking lights on the dashboard so I’m assuming that’s a good thing. Should i richen up the A/f using the diablo intune to eliminate the knock? Or should I just leave it alone? Please see attached pictures. I will drive it some more tomorrow and complete another log.
Thank you
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 PM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I will ask my buddy who tunes.
The following users liked this post:
RIRENTERC6 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by RIRENTERC6
Received my BMs filter today. Pretty simple install. Took around 20 minutes.
First impression is quicker throttle response. This coupled with my Katech TB and Diablo 93 oct tune have pretty much eliminated the throttle lag.

Now to the technical stuff. After 20 miles i decided to log the car with the diablosport intune I2. I’m not sure what to think of the numbers. Can someone explain what I am seeing? Looks like the MAF sensor mass airflow(g/s) is less with the BMS filter than with the stock filter. Is this correct? I figured i would see a bigger number with the BMS filter.

Also noticed 4 degrees of knock retard in the 6000 rpm range. I did not notice any blinking lights on the dashboard so I’m assuming that’s a good thing. Should i richen up the A/f using the diablo intune to eliminate the knock? Or should I just leave it alone? Please see attached pictures. I will drive it some more tomorrow and complete another log.
Thank you

It’s safe to say this filter is coming off ASAP!! I am not liking all this knocking. Logged the car again tonight. My car seems to not like it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:34 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

The filter or an intake is not likely to increase your knock count, as the boost increase is going to be less than 1psi, but I have no idea how your tuning is setup and your logging interface is difficult to read.

I'd ditch that tune and retune with HP Tuners. If you are knocking across multiple cylinders you probably need less timing advance in those areas. You may also need to rescale your MAF input to match the higher flow intake. If you post an HP Tuners log I can give you tuning pointers based on that data.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 11-19-2017 at 11:39 PM.
NortonCO (12-06-2019)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:39 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
The filter or an intake is not likely to increase your knock count, as teh boost increase is going to be less than 1psi, but I have no idea how your tuning is setup. Your logging interface is difficult to read. I'd ditch that tune and retune with HP Tuners. If you post an HP Tuners log I can give you tuning pointers based on that data.
It’s the diablosport 93 oct tune. It’s a can tune, so I would assume it’s very conservative. I have the log but you need the free diablosport log viewer software. I will post the log if you are interested in viewing it. change the file to .log.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
01751_16.doc (318.5 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by RIRENTERC6; 11-19-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:44 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

I looked at one of their files once and it was fairly awful. Already voided the warranty tuning, why not use HP tuners so its tuned right?

I would guess what you need to fix on that tune file is the MAF scaling. Raise it so your MAF reading is the same with the filter as it was with the stock filter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Terry@BMS:
Harbgrogan (12-07-2019), NortonCO (12-06-2019)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:57 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
I looked at one of their files once and it was fairly awful. Already voided the warranty tuning, why not use HP tuners so its tuned right?

I would guess what you need to fix on that tune file is the MAF scaling. Raise it so your MAF reading is the same with the filter as it was with the stock filter.
I do not have access to HP tuners & I have already invested in the Diablo Tuner. I have returned the car to stock programming. I will drive around tomorrow and log the car again with the BMS filter and the stock tune. I will post that tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I do not have access to HP tuners & I have already invested in the Diablo Tuner. I have returned the car to stock programming. I will drive around tomorrow and log the car again with the BMS filter and the stock tune. I will post that tomorrow.
You can always get a custom remote tune with your Diablo InTune from DiabLew. I'm very happy with his work on my car, and the process is quite easy (and affordable). He goes by 06MonteSS on here.

http://www.diablewtune.com/

Last edited by Kracka; 11-20-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Kracka
You can always get a custom remote tune with your Diablo InTune from DiabLew. I'm very happy with his work on my car, and the process is quite easy (and affordable). He goes by 06MonteSS on here.

I second doing that ... OP.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kracka

I had him tune my TCM last month (which is awesome!!) I sent him the logs last night and he sent me a updated ECU tune this morning. He mentioned scaling the MAF which would add a little more fuel. I’ll run it for a few days and provide the results.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

I had him tune my TCM last month (which is awesome!!) I sent him the logs last night and he sent me a updated ECU tune this morning. He mentioned scaling the MAF which would add a little more fuel. I’ll run it for a few days and provide the results.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Resurrecting and old thread. The reason for the knocking is because the BMS filter causes the MAF to read less air which directly results in a leaner air fuel mixture. The Diablo tune already leans out the Air Fuel so pairing that with the BMS would make it run too lean and will knock. You need to have the MAF calibration changed to bring the Air Fuel back in line. There is enough room in fueling with the stock tune to run just the BMS filter, but not with the Diablo tune.
The following 3 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
Harbgrogan (12-07-2019), RocksZC7 (12-05-2019), WIKKID (12-09-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 PM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What results did you get with the custom Diablo tune & the BMS Filter? I have a 2016 Z06 and experienced the same type of knock retard with both the 91 and 93 octane tunes.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

A couple of years ago when I bought a Diablo tuner from Lew I later found he would not do a remote custom tune on a supercharged car. Has this changed?? Had a problem with the Diablo tuner and when it was returned for repair they wiped my stock tune. Car ran great with the Diablo 93 octane tune, intake, midpipe and ported TB. But when I lost my stock tune and thus my warranty I just went ahead and did a HP Tuners tune.

Last edited by jstewart; 12-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.
NortonCO (12-06-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 01:14 PM
BMS_Z06_FAN
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Resurrecting and old thread. The reason for the knocking is because the BMS filter causes the MAF to read less air which directly results in a leaner air fuel mixture. The Diablo tune already leans out the Air Fuel so pairing that with the BMS would make it run too lean and will knock. You need to have the MAF calibration changed to bring the Air Fuel back in line. There is enough room in fueling with the stock tune to run just the BMS filter, but not with the Diablo tune.
The higher knock count could also just mean you're making more power now and would benefit from higher octane. I'm not familiar with the Diablo tune though but when doing any tuning the tuner will take in to account whether or not you have an intake. The BMS drop in filter is so good it's equivalent to an aftermarket intake as far as tuning goes.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS_Z06_FAN
The higher knock count could also just mean you're making more power now and would benefit from higher octane. I'm not familiar with the Diablo tune though but when doing any tuning the tuner will take in to account whether or not you have an intake. The BMS drop in filter is so good it's equivalent to an aftermarket intake as far as tuning goes.
The higher knock possibility is due to the air fuel leaning out and the spark value increasing since the BMS causes the ECU to read less airmass. Since the Diablo tune already leans the Air Fuel ratio the BMS makes it too lean and it is far more prone to knock. This isn't up for debate. It is a fact.
Harbgrogan (12-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To BMS filter install

Quick Reply: BMS filter install