C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video of Tony Mamo ported throttle body install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the input Tony. So with your off the shelf ported throttle body for the Z06 LT4, no tune is needed and it shouldn’t throw codes matched up with the GM performance CAI (dealer installed) and Borla x-pipe correct? Simple plug and play?
Plug and play....best low buck mod on the planet for this particular vehicle because not only is it a legit airflow upgrade (15% more air available to your supercharger), it cures a problem inherent in the poorly executed GM design

I offer a 30 day return policy with this mod because you would have to be crazy to want to return it.....LOL

Try it and I look forward to your feedback

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-30-2019 at 07:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 AM
JBond214
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

MSG - for me the throttle body and GM CAI together have not thrown a code on the stock tune. I think Tony has said before that two mods (intake and throttle body or throttle body and x pipe) generally won't throw a code on the stock tune. But that when you get up to three (where you will be) some people may start to throw codes on the stock tune.

My suggestion: get the throttle body, install it (4 10 mm bolts, takes 10 mins), drive around for just shy of 30 days and see how it works for you. If no issues great. If you get codes, return it.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Thanks for the input Tony. So with your off the shelf ported throttle body for the Z06 LT4, no tune is needed and it shouldn’t throw codes matched up with the GM performance CAI (dealer installed) and Borla x-pipe correct? Simple plug and play?
You should be good. I have his TB with BMS filter and Borla X-pipe with no issues on stock tune.
MSG C5 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Plug and play....best low buck mod on the planet for this particular vehicle because not only is it a legit airflow upgrade (15% more air available to your supercharger), it cures a problem inherent in the poorly executed GM design

I offer a 30 day return policy with this mod because you would have to be crazy to want to return it.....LOL

Try it and I look forward to your feedback

-Tony
Originally Posted by JBond214
MSG - for me the throttle body and GM CAI together have not thrown a code on the stock tune. I think Tony has said before that two mods (intake and throttle body or throttle body and x pipe) generally won't throw a code on the stock tune. But that when you get up to three (where you will be) some people may start to throw codes on the stock tune.

My suggestion: get the throttle body, install it (4 10 mm bolts, takes 10 mins), drive around for just shy of 30 days and see how it works for you. If no issues great. If you get codes, return it.
Originally Posted by saleen556

You should be good. I have his TB with BMS filter and Borla X-pipe with no issues on stock tune.

Thanks. I ordered on Monday so I will provide some “3-mod” feedback after it’s installed. I’m not sure if my dealer already performed a tune with my GM performance CAI that was installed during PDI as there was conflicting information out of GM whether a tune was required. I installed the x-pipe one month later.

Last edited by MSG C5; 01-30-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:07 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I ordered on Monday so I will provide some “3-mod” feedback after it’s installed. I’m not sure if my dealer already performed a tune with my GM performance CAI that was installed during PDI as there was conflicting information out of GM whether a tune was required. I installed the x-pipe one month later.
I don’t believe they do a tune for their CAI. You’ll be good.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

That's correct....the LT1 and LT4 are the same TB's (same GM part number) but I do take a different approach in the way I port them.

One of my LT4 ported TB's on an LT1 is very likely to throw a code so unless a customer is tuning I send him the LT1 specific version I have on the shelf.

The LT5 (ZR1 unit) is a larger 95 mm TB....much nicer piece in stock trim and alot nicer ported but it has a different bolt pattern (adapters are available) and requires a tune which eliminates alot of the guys looking (most looking for plug and play upgrades)

And yes.....the OEM LT1/LT4 TB is the epitome of a GM bean counter decision....cheap, on the GM parts shelf and was already being installed in light trucks GM decided to run with it in a performance application. Honestly its shaped so poorly even in a truck application it was a crime that TB made it past whoever in GM could veto a really poorly designed part.....LOL

Thankfully the fix is reasonably priced and easy to install but it is sad that GM gave that TB the green light

I plan to post some really good pics of a stock TB soon in a new thread I have been considering starting. If I think of it I will post a few in this thread also for the guys that have never seen one up close and personal

-Tony
Hi Tony, I have a 2015 Z51 C7 with the LT1 & Auto (A8) Trans. If I install your off the shelf throttle body for the LT1 what can I expect? I'm just rying to figure out the significance of the difference I should get with the A8 vs. a manual trans. I had always assumed the ported throttle bodies provided more benefit to those operating the Manual. Appreciate your feedback.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 2Intense
Hi Tony, I have a 2015 Z51 C7 with the LT1 & Auto (A8) Trans. If I install your off the shelf throttle body for the LT1 what can I expect? I'm just rying to figure out the significance of the difference I should get with the A8 vs. a manual trans. I had always assumed the ported throttle bodies provided more benefit to those operating the Manual. Appreciate your feedback.
I have posted at great length about all the many benefits of this mod (as have many of my customers.....Google is your friend here....literally hundreds of reviews)

The abridged version....more throttle response.....a reduction or complete removal of the dead zone in the lower throttle positions (particularly useful in manual trans cars negotiating clutch and throttle input from a dead stop)....much better tip in throttle in the higher gears....a 15% increase in available flow to the engine (about a 150 CFM gain).....more power and more torque.....in the LT4 application 12-15 RWTQ and RWHP is about the norm.....the blower loves the added airflow directly in front of it.

Also important to note that you not get that huge benefit of a real gain in available airflow with any of the electronic throttle controllers.....this is a legit performance mod like better heads or a better manifold that actually increases the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the engine. If you had the opportunity to test it on an engine dyno you would see that along with the sexier power and torque curve

I offer a 30 day performance guarantee.....if you don't feel it was worth every penny return it to me for a full refund of the part.

At this price point (and scenario I offer) it just doesnt get any better

Hope this helps.....Google if you want to read the satisfied results of my other customers etc. so you don't just have to take my word for it

Regards,
Tony

PS....Auto versus manual.....all the same perks and gains apply....the TB performs and does everything the same....the engine could care less what transmission is bolted behind it.

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-07-2019 at 05:43 AM.
2Intense (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:21 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Thanks Tony. I placed an order yesterday.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

I worked in Marketing most of my adult life, and as recently as the last decade worked primarily in the automotive aftermarket. So when I buy ANYTHING automotive related, I do my research. And I do my research HARD.

Let me preface by saying that the ONE thing that has bugged me since I purchased the C7 Grand Sport 6 months ago was the weird on and off throttle response. Now, I'm sure if I've never bought anything remotely sporty, I probably wouldn't have ever noticed it. Unfortunately my OTHER car is a feisty little naturally aspirated inline 6 with 6 individual electronically controlled throttle bodies. If you've never driven a high-revving, naturally aspirated engine with individual throttle bodies, you would and could probably go about your merry life driving whatever the manufacturers considered "acceptable" throttle response.

Unfortunately I also have a 3 liter turbocharged diesel as my "other" other car.

Due to the high compression on the diesel, and the relative small size of the cylinders, the 3 liter turbo diesel has what I've considered one of the worst throttle responses ever. You mash, and the car takes about 2 seconds and then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose and it unleashes 420 ft*lbs of torque to the rear wheels. I've gotten sideways at multiple on and off-ramps at the most unexpected times due to the odd way that the turbo diesel delivers power.

The C7 with the LT1...It's different.

On the turbo diesel, the throttle responds to your input IMMEDIATELY. The engine releases power depending on the amount of turbo build-up. So when you drive sedately, the first 1,800RPM or so it's pretty lethargic, but the pedal responds quickly to your request for power. It's just that power takes a while to build. But when it's UNLEASHED, there's gobs and gobs of it. On the naturally aspirated inline 6 with the individual throttle body, the power is immediate and linear, and the pedal response is TELEPATHIC. You think about needing more throttle, and it responds instantaneously any time, any where. Any RPM, any gear, any throttle position, any slight movement or tip-in of the throttle, the engine responds instantaneously. It is by far the best throttle response I've ever had the pleasure to drive in my lifetime. It is amazing.

The LT1 has always bothered me because it slots somewhere in the middle. It's character in power delivery is extremely linear, as the power builds up through the rev range. It's got the insane torque like the diesel, but it's delivered when you want it, not when the turbo deems enough boost has been generated.

BUT. The LT1 on the Grand Sport also has this weird DEAD ZONE at the first 20-25% of throttle travel that drove me insane. On the track it's fantastic. In fact, so fantastic it's a good 7-8 seconds per lap faster on a ~3 mile course compared to the naturally aspirated, individual throttled inline 6 I love so much. But driving it away from the track? I'm so used to spending the majority of my time on the first 20-25% of the throttle that it felt more like the turbo, in that nothing happens in that first section of the throttle, then you push past a certain point, then the car realizes you WANT to go fast and then decide to open up the throttle.

So back to the original part of the post. It's been 6 months since I bought the car new. And I've been searching and searching since the very first day I picked up the car for a reasonable solution. I'm not going to go into detail as to why I decided on a mechanical solution instead of a software/electrical solution, but I will tell you all again, I DO MY RESEARCH. And in this 6 months of research, one name keeps popping up.

Tony Mamo.

At first I thought this is just marketing done well. Because I know marketing. I do. But the more I look into it, the more I realize that can't be. Even the best marketing efforts, you will almost NEVER ever hear universal praise. My 20+ years of work in marketing tells me so. You dig hard enough, long enough, you can and will always find some negative feedback, it's just simply human nature.

Unless you have a truly outstanding product to market. Something that covers what I consider the golden triangle: Quality. Engineering. And result. You exceed expectations on all three fronts, and you won't have anyone complaining. Throw in reasonable price and you'd have your unicorn, were I to borrow a term from the tech industry (whom I've also worked for extensively).

So why am I saying all this? After 6 months of research I finally pulled the trigger. I had to see for myself WHY Tony Mamo's product is getting virtually universal praise across multiple platforms. Plus I've been looking for ways to address the lack of any real throttle response on the part of the throttle I use the most 90% of the time. So I took the plunge. I ordered a Mamo ported LT1 Throttle Body directly from the Mamo Motorsports website on Friday. Got an email back from the man himself within a few hours. And opened up the box in the mail within 2 days. As soon as it stopped raining here in Southern California, I took the 20 minutes necessary to remove the stock throttle body, cleaned up the contact area on the manifold, blue loctite'd the 4 bolts and torqued to 88 in•lbs and installed the new ported throttle body from Tony (hence my OTHER thread about the loose hose clamp). Took it out for a short 20 minute drive once the weather cleared up and the road dried up. Finally the first 25% of pedal travel actually does SOMETHING. It was one of the more frustrating part of the ownership experience, switching back and forth between my BMW Z4 M Coupe and the C7 Grand Sport, the fact that the throttle pedal almost feels numb and then the car all of a sudden comes alive when you push past what I called the "dead zone."

I'll be honest. Nothing will ever come close to the throttle response on the Z4 M. High revving. Naturally aspirated. 6 electronically controlled, individual throttle body. With the ported throttle body, there is still SOME delay, but the part of the throttle you spend most of your time in, that first 20-25% of throttle travel, there's far more usability. It used to be, there's absolutely no change in small movement of the right foot. It was odd to control the acceleration, when a small space opened up on the right to pass, you don't want to fully commit to the throttle because, well, you don't have to, and you tip in another 5%, and the car does NOTHING...Then you give it another 10% throttle, and the car takes off like a bat out of hell and the guy in the Prius lane-blocking you give you the dirty look like you're some douche trying to race him (yes I've gotten that look a few times). That odd sensation was never there when I drive the BMW, because any tiny movement of the foot is rewarded with immediate RPM. Now? With the 20 minutes on surface streets and on the freeway, I can already tell that NORMAL street driving is far more enjoyable, that little space that opened up for me to pass on the right? I can take advantage immediately without going "wait for it....wait for it...baaap ROOOOOARRR" like the boy-racer I secretly wished I am. I can finally pass people like a normal driver, that the range of the throttle pedal travel that I use most on non-track driving CAN actually do something.

Will this be the end of me searching for a better throttle response? Probably not. I'm cursed to forever compare any performance car's throttle to my BMW Z4 M Coupe. Does this get me SATISFIED with how the C7 Grand Sport's throttle behave for now? That's a big yes. Does it explain why Tony Mamo gets virtually universal praise anywhere you look? Definitely. Quality, engineering, and result. Covered all three.
McFly (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Nice write up (send the check Tony!) jk.

Funny thing about Z4's, they are fun cars to ride and every car I have owned I still compare to my first Z4....

In Chronological order, my last few cars....
2005 Z4M
2006 C6 Corvette
2008 Jaguar XJR
2015 Camaro SS (Installed Magnuson VTS2300 Supercharger)
2014 Z4 sDrive 35is (Dinan Stg 2)
2015 Audi S5 Convertible (ECU/TCU/Pulley - stage 3)
2015 C7 Corvette Z51 (Current)

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-07-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo...
The following 2 users liked this post by 2Intense:
Bob Beaudette (11-16-2020), C7 Z06 M7 (04-09-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The HACK
I worked in Marketing most of my adult life, and as recently as the last decade worked primarily in the automotive aftermarket. So when I buy ANYTHING automotive related, I do my research. And I do my research HARD.

Let me preface by saying that the ONE thing that has bugged me since I purchased the C7 Grand Sport 6 months ago was the weird on and off throttle response. Now, I'm sure if I've never bought anything remotely sporty, I probably wouldn't have ever noticed it. Unfortunately my OTHER car is a feisty little naturally aspirated inline 6 with 6 individual electronically controlled throttle bodies. If you've never driven a high-revving, naturally aspirated engine with individual throttle bodies, you would and could probably go about your merry life driving whatever the manufacturers considered "acceptable" throttle response.

Unfortunately I also have a 3 liter turbocharged diesel as my "other" other car.

Due to the high compression on the diesel, and the relative small size of the cylinders, the 3 liter turbo diesel has what I've considered one of the worst throttle responses ever. You mash, and the car takes about 2 seconds and then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose and it unleashes 420 ft*lbs of torque to the rear wheels. I've gotten sideways at multiple on and off-ramps at the most unexpected times due to the odd way that the turbo diesel delivers power.

The C7 with the LT1...It's different.

On the turbo diesel, the throttle responds to your input IMMEDIATELY. The engine releases power depending on the amount of turbo build-up. So when you drive sedately, the first 1,800RPM or so it's pretty lethargic, but the pedal responds quickly to your request for power. It's just that power takes a while to build. But when it's UNLEASHED, there's gobs and gobs of it. On the naturally aspirated inline 6 with the individual throttle body, the power is immediate and linear, and the pedal response is TELEPATHIC. You think about needing more throttle, and it responds instantaneously any time, any where. Any RPM, any gear, any throttle position, any slight movement or tip-in of the throttle, the engine responds instantaneously. It is by far the best throttle response I've ever had the pleasure to drive in my lifetime. It is amazing.

The LT1 has always bothered me because it slots somewhere in the middle. It's character in power delivery is extremely linear, as the power builds up through the rev range. It's got the insane torque like the diesel, but it's delivered when you want it, not when the turbo deems enough boost has been generated.

BUT. The LT1 on the Grand Sport also has this weird DEAD ZONE at the first 20-25% of throttle travel that drove me insane. On the track it's fantastic. In fact, so fantastic it's a good 7-8 seconds per lap faster on a ~3 mile course compared to the naturally aspirated, individual throttled inline 6 I love so much. But driving it away from the track? I'm so used to spending the majority of my time on the first 20-25% of the throttle that it felt more like the turbo, in that nothing happens in that first section of the throttle, then you push past a certain point, then the car realizes you WANT to go fast and then decide to open up the throttle.

So back to the original part of the post. It's been 6 months since I bought the car new. And I've been searching and searching since the very first day I picked up the car for a reasonable solution. I'm not going to go into detail as to why I decided on a mechanical solution instead of a software/electrical solution, but I will tell you all again, I DO MY RESEARCH. And in this 6 months of research, one name keeps popping up.

Tony Mamo.

At first I thought this is just marketing done well. Because I know marketing. I do. But the more I look into it, the more I realize that can't be. Even the best marketing efforts, you will almost NEVER ever hear universal praise. My 20+ years of work in marketing tells me so. You dig hard enough, long enough, you can and will always find some negative feedback, it's just simply human nature.

Unless you have a truly outstanding product to market. Something that covers what I consider the golden triangle: Quality. Engineering. And result. You exceed expectations on all three fronts, and you won't have anyone complaining. Throw in reasonable price and you'd have your unicorn, were I to borrow a term from the tech industry (whom I've also worked for extensively).

So why am I saying all this? After 6 months of research I finally pulled the trigger. I had to see for myself WHY Tony Mamo's product is getting virtually universal praise across multiple platforms. Plus I've been looking for ways to address the lack of any real throttle response on the part of the throttle I use the most 90% of the time. So I took the plunge. I ordered a Mamo ported LT1 Throttle Body directly from the Mamo Motorsports website on Friday. Got an email back from the man himself within a few hours. And opened up the box in the mail within 2 days. As soon as it stopped raining here in Southern California, I took the 20 minutes necessary to remove the stock throttle body, cleaned up the contact area on the manifold, blue loctite'd the 4 bolts and torqued to 88 in•lbs and installed the new ported throttle body from Tony (hence my OTHER thread about the loose hose clamp). Took it out for a short 20 minute drive once the weather cleared up and the road dried up. Finally the first 25% of pedal travel actually does SOMETHING. It was one of the more frustrating part of the ownership experience, switching back and forth between my BMW Z4 M Coupe and the C7 Grand Sport, the fact that the throttle pedal almost feels numb and then the car all of a sudden comes alive when you push past what I called the "dead zone."

I'll be honest. Nothing will ever come close to the throttle response on the Z4 M. High revving. Naturally aspirated. 6 electronically controlled, individual throttle body. With the ported throttle body, there is still SOME delay, but the part of the throttle you spend most of your time in, that first 20-25% of throttle travel, there's far more usability. It used to be, there's absolutely no change in small movement of the right foot. It was odd to control the acceleration, when a small space opened up on the right to pass, you don't want to fully commit to the throttle because, well, you don't have to, and you tip in another 5%, and the car does NOTHING...Then you give it another 10% throttle, and the car takes off like a bat out of hell and the guy in the Prius lane-blocking you give you the dirty look like you're some douche trying to race him (yes I've gotten that look a few times). That odd sensation was never there when I drive the BMW, because any tiny movement of the foot is rewarded with immediate RPM. Now? With the 20 minutes on surface streets and on the freeway, I can already tell that NORMAL street driving is far more enjoyable, that little space that opened up for me to pass on the right? I can take advantage immediately without going "wait for it....wait for it...baaap ROOOOOARRR" like the boy-racer I secretly wished I am. I can finally pass people like a normal driver, that the range of the throttle pedal travel that I use most on non-track driving CAN actually do something.

Will this be the end of me searching for a better throttle response? Probably not. I'm cursed to forever compare any performance car's throttle to my BMW Z4 M Coupe. Does this get me SATISFIED with how the C7 Grand Sport's throttle behave for now? That's a big yes. Does it explain why Tony Mamo gets virtually universal praise anywhere you look? Definitely. Quality, engineering, and result. Covered all three.
If you’re not completely satisfied with the TB put in a BMS filter. Made my throttle response even better. It’s a great combo.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

If you’re not completely satisfied with the TB put in a BMS filter. Made my throttle response even better. It’s a great combo.
That's certainly on my mind, although I want to wait until I have the car on track at Laguna Seca before I make any more decisions. I'd like to "benchmark" any modifications on track to see what the actual results are like before moving on to the next.

Like I said, I'm not one to ***** nilli-ly throw money at a problem. I like to research.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The HACK
That's certainly on my mind, although I want to wait until I have the car on track at Laguna Seca before I make any more decisions. I'd like to "benchmark" any modifications on track to see what the actual results are like before moving on to the next.

Like I said, I'm not one to ***** nilli-ly throw money at a problem. I like to research.
Makes perfect sense. Not gaining in HP with the TB. The BMS is good for a few. If you haven’t done an off road Xpipe you owe it to yourself. It does add a bit of power and is considerably lighter. Plus it makes the car roar.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:33 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 2Intense
Nice write up (send the check Tony!) jk.
The check is in the mail!!

Leave it to a guy with a screen name "The HACK" to write one of the most comprehensive reviews of my TB (and the overall situation in general) concerning the not so optimized throttle response that plague these LT1/LT4 combinations in factory trim

Luckily the fix or the improvements that can be made are relatively inexpensive and extremely easy to install. Honestly you really have to be thankful about that because these cars as a whole offer alot for the money. GM is producing world class sports cars of late.....but every now and then the bean counters still get their say in things and muck things up some....LOL

Mr. HACK......LOL.....a big thank you for the effort and time invested in that post. I think that it is more than worth its own thread so more people have the opportunity to read it. There is alot of good information I think most people can relate to and make it easier to understand in some regards.

Catch you guys later

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....A BMS filter or any other quality replacement filter that allows more air to flow is very helpful in reducing the overly rich safe tune from the factory helping both the AFR and the ability for the blower to process/convert more air into horsepower. It is a very good compliment to the better airflow characteristics and additional flow of my modified TB and I highly recommend both. BUT.....it is better installed in stages IMO to give the computer some additional time to adjust if you want to have the best chance of not getting a code thrown. Most guys throw in both at the same time and that will work 90% of the time but if your more patient and really trying to avoid getting a code thrown, installing these mods in stages is a better approach to the install (I'm talking about driving the car a few weeks with one and then add the other....not waiting months).
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
2Intense (02-08-2019), Vegas1500 (03-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

The check is in the mail!!

Leave it to a guy with a screen name "The HACK" to write one of the most comprehensive reviews of my TB (and the overall situation in general) concerning the not so optimized throttle response that plague these LT1/LT4 combinations in factory trim

Luckily the fix or the improvements that can be made are relatively inexpensive and extremely easy to install. Honestly you really have to be thankful about that because these cars as a whole offer alot for the money. GM is producing world class sports cars of late.....but every now and then the bean counters still get their say in things and muck things up some....LOL

Mr. HACK......LOL.....a big thank you for the effort and time invested in that post. I think that it is more than worth its own thread so more people have the opportunity to read it. There is alot of good information I think most people can relate to and make it easier to understand in some regards.

Catch you guys later

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....A BMS filter or any other quality replacement filter that allows more air to flow is very helpful in reducing the overly rich safe tune from the factory helping both the AFR and the ability for the blower to process/convert more air into horsepower. It is a very good compliment to the better airflow characteristics and additional flow of my modified TB and I highly recommend both. BUT.....it is better installed in stages IMO to give the computer some additional time to adjust if you want to have the best chance of not getting a code thrown. Most guys throw in both at the same time and that will work 90% of the time but if your more patient and really trying to avoid getting a code thrown, installing these mods in stages is a better approach to the install (I'm talking about driving the car a few weeks with one and then add the other....not waiting months).
That's good to know as I'm following the staged mod approach. I had the GM "Jake" Performance CAI installed at PDI/delivery and then added the Borla X-pipe about one-month later. I just received your Ported Throttle Body and plan to install it early next week. However, I'm going to run the car this weekend one last time with the OEM unit so I have a nice back-to-back comparison.
2Intense (02-08-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Update - I installed the Tony Mamo throttle body yesterday and took the car for a short drive last evening. I did notice that it seems the neutral (stopped) to 1st shift was a little smoother and I felt the difference in the throttle feel. I hope to get more seat time tomorrow leading into the weekend and plan to run it up through the higher gears to get a better feel for the new airflow and throttle response.

Funny story after installing the throttle body as a neighbor was walking his dog past my driveway right when I started the car. I keep it in Sport mode and perhaps due to the engine work I had just performed, the exhaust seemed to bark louder at start up than usual. Looking in my rear view mirror I saw both my neighbor and his dog jump after I started the car.

Anyway, I did notice after the first start up that the idle seemed a little rough. There were no check engine or other warning lights, so I'm assuming this was just the car sensors getting used to the new air flow. It seemed to have worked it's way out as the idle was good when I returned after my short drive.

Nothing really to add that already hasn't been communicated, however reiterating an earlier tip that it's easier to disconnect the wiring harness after you remove the OEM throttle body. Once it's removed, simply turn it over to disconnect the wiring harness locking tab and then re-connect the wiring harness first before installing the Tony Mamo TB.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Agree 100%. Installed mine 2 days ago. Although my C7 is the A8 trans, there is a noticeable smoother transition between gears when accelerating from a dead stop. Very happy with it so far.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Props to Tony Mamo. I bought one of his ported stock Z06 TB's last summer for my 2016 Z07 auto. I plain didn't like the on-off/off-on throttle transition of the stock setup. Story short problem solved with better throttle response. Later last year I bought one of Tony's 95mm ported TB's but didn't install it until last month. Reason for not installing it was after looking at some testing done here on otherwise stock Z06's there was not much more HP to be had although it provided better throttle response like the smaller 87mm ported TB. I believed this was because the SC snout needed to be port matched to the bigger TB so I waited until I Had this and other mods done at Weapon X before it was installed. Same great results as the smaller Mamo ported TB and the larger ported Mamo TB compliments the other mods done at Weapon X. Great job Tony, very satisfied customer here.

Last edited by jstewart; 02-13-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:11 AM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. I did this and a BMS filter and any jerkiness is basically gone.
This.

I bought the TM ported throttle body like over a year ago and it helped with throttle response very little on my M7 Z06, will admit kinda disappointing. Just last month, I finally bought and installed the BMS performance filter replacement. It was way easier changing the TB out then that stinkin air filter, wow. But anyway, the throttle response has be way better, way way better. Whether it is just the filter alone or the combination of the ported TB and performance air filter, I don't know. No codes thrown yet. Any hesitation now is ever so minor, it is super nice to have the throttle response the way it should have come from the factory. If the TB port really adds 15 HP or the BMS filter adds 30 HP, not to sure of that either --- my main focus was getting rid of that annoying initial throttle hesitation and now it is pretty much good now - yippieeeeeee!!!

Quick Reply: Video of Tony Mamo ported throttle body install