C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ncstingray
It really is hard to believe the manufacturers put the Sport Cup 2 tires on cars that an unsuspecting consumer can buy and drive. I would think it would be a huge liability for them for possible litigation. Its not like your car salesman is going to say anything negative about the tires and lose the sale.
Ahhh yes kids here it is again. We are the nation to NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY but to always blame someone/something else, and Don’t forget to throw down the attorney/lawsuit card!
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Ahhh yes kids here it is again. We are the nation to NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY but to always blame someone/something else, and Don’t forget to throw down the attorney/lawsuit card!
I'm sure there is some discussion and paperwork that clearly states the car is a performance car with summer only tires.

GM and most other manufacturers tell you not even to roll the car around in temps less than 40 degrees F. If I'm not mistaken, there is a long history of these tires cracking along the sidewall, even on new cars on the lot.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,311 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Yes
that's crazy this is the guys car. 500 miles and toast. That shop is HUGE and no insurance

My biggest shop was 10k and change. I had over a million in insurance and felt that wasn't enough sometimes. I can't believe this guy was building new Corvettes for people without a dime of insurance...lunacy.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 AM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Tires are a freakin' death trap, My car would be in a different porch probably if it wasn't for the fact that I have owned multiple 500hp plus cars. Just ordered new tires today to get rid of the stupid *** cup 2 tires.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I can't believe this guy was building new Corvettes for people without a dime of insurance...lunacy.
I think that many businesses weigh the benefit of having insurance over the cost. Personally, I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Originally Posted by geterdone
Tires are a freakin' death trap, My car would be in a different porch probably if it wasn't for the fact that I have owned multiple 500hp plus cars. Just ordered new tires today to get rid of the stupid *** cup 2 tires.
What amazes me is that we (myself included) think nothing of buying a car with 650 horsepower and then complain when we crash because we exceed our driving capabilities. I've also owned several high horsepower cars over the years, but I've come to the realization that my reflexes aren't what they used to be when I was younger. Once you lose respect for the capabilities of anything dangerous, you're in trouble.
The following users liked this post:
ONENATION (01-17-2018)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by geterdone
They are the best street tires I've ever used, as long as used as designed. If you used the same logic the z06 is a stupid car and the zr1 will be even more stupid. Put the blame where it belongs. On the loose nut behind the wheel.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ncstingray
You guys are taking my comment out of context. How many people know what Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires are? Anybody with a decent credit score and a job can drive away in a Z06. Don't you think there should be some instruction and forewarnings about the capability of the tires or lack of in cold and wet weather. Just sayin....
People who have experience with fast cars Always look at the tires. I immediately noticed drag radials or near slicks on all four corners when I was looking at the c7z. Then of course I touched the rubber to see how soft it was. It’s a safety thing for gear heads, tires & brakes.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

A lot of you are forgetting that it wasn't the owner that crashed the car. To me the tires are completely secondary to the real problem
Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Yup. Fran and his shop really did a number on that car and its owner.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I'm sure there is some discussion and paperwork that clearly states the car is a performance car with summer only tires.

GM and most other manufacturers tell you not even to roll the car around in temps less than 40 degrees F. If I'm not mistaken, there is a long history of these tires cracking along the sidewall, even on new cars on the lot.
I’m not positive on the accident location (DE or WV) which obviously gets cold this time of year. But from what I read on the yellowbullet, it stated there that the car was wrecked back in May 2017.

Maybe rain on the road though the crash photos show that it’s sunny but I would think that certainly very low temperature would not of been a factor.

Just saying.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ1957
I’m not positive on the accident location (DE or WV) which obviously gets cold this time of year. But from what I read on the yellowbullet, it stated there that the car was wrecked back in May 2017.

Maybe rain on the road though the crash photos show that it’s sunny but I would think that certainly very low temperature would not of been a factor.

Just saying.
That and the owner wasn't driving the car, the shop was......
Old 01-17-2018, 11:54 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The person who drove the car KNEW it had bald tires on it when he took it out. Period. It's call stupidity.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:17 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The person who drove the car KNEW it had bald tires on it when he took it out. Period. It's call stupidity.

MPS Cup 2 ZP tires that came OEM on the C7Z with Z07 option.

And the car/tires did not have a lot of miles (supposedly less than 1000 miles).
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Has there been any update with this? It really seems like this shop messed up but there are always 2 sides to every story.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The biggest problem people have is thinking that receiving a government issued driver's license means they know how to drive. None of the training received, booklets written on the rules or the driving test ever provide information on how to drive and test the driver to see if they know how to drive. Being able to stop at a stop sign, make a K turn or park (if they even test that any more) really prepares an individual to drive through an ever changing environment of car behavior, weather changes, other drivers, pedestrians and even less training in what to do when sudden changes occur.

Bill
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Damn, he's lucky to make it out alive. I think we all have done stupid things behind the wheel, but that right there is a self correcting error I hope I never have to experience.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I agree Bill. Throw an abundance of horsepower into the mixture and anything can happen. It's not the car, or tires, or horsepower. He just ran out of talent.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 01-18-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jswatek
It happens to Viper drivers too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsMXDxXlvmY

Stupid people getting what they deserve... JUSTICE!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:25 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The biggest problem people have is thinking that receiving a government issued driver's license means they know how to drive.
I would disagree in the sense that I don't think it's brand new drivers with their freshly minted license that are the problem. It's the guys 18-22 that have been driving a few years, think they've mastered it. The frontal cortex isn't baked yet so they have no risk perception.

Low skill + high confidence + no judgement == Bad
Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BWFitz
Do you seriously believe Z06 buyers are 'unsuspecting customers'?
I am not sure they are unsuspecting but I certainly have met a few who did not know very much about the cars. When I was out at Spring Mountain we had a group of about 12 drivers. When going over the cars in the classroom, I was astounded to discover that 10 of the 12 did not know how to check the oil on the Z06s. I am admittedly a bit old school, but I suppose this is indicative of how things have changed over time. They depend on the dealer and the warning lights. Similarly, few knew the location of the charging port in the back, and probably half the guys with automatics had never even tried the paddle shifters. So no surprise that a driver would be unfamiliar with the cars capabilities and perhaps the laws of physics. In retrospect, it is a good thing that they were at the school to learn about the cars' limits and capabilities there rather than out on the street back home.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 01-19-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Epic wreck, "racecar driver" from Pa in Dec on the bald Cup2's? Now ya did it!