C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Need advice on applying coating yo new wheels snd reducing brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:15 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default Need advice on applying coating yo new wheels snd reducing brake dust

Have a new set of HRE's, in polished/dark clear finish, coming to my Arctic White '16 Z06 (w/o Z07) from Santa this year.

i am seeking recomendations on a ceramic (or other protective) coating to apply before mounting them to the car.

i am also considering a change in break pads to reduce rhe amount of brake dust. Any recomendations on the type/brand of brake pads use (without requiring a change in brake rotors)? What kind of performance/durability changrs should I expect?

Thanks,

Last edited by RACE U; 12-06-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Have a new set of HRE's, in polished/dark clear finish, coming to my Arctic White '16 Z06 (w/o Z07) from Santa this year.

i am seeking recomendations on a ceramic (or other protective) coating to apply before mounting them to the car.

i am also considering a change in break pads to reduce rhe amount of brake dust. Any recomendations on the type/brand of brake pads use (without requiring a change in brake rotors)? What kind of performance/durability changrs should I expect?

Thanks,
Get yourself some POWERSTOP pads for your Corvette Z06 I have them and they stop great and no dust! No Corvette tax either only 135-140 for all four corners! I just use car wax on my wheels they stay pretty nice with the powerstops. Without they dustup real bad real quick!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-06-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 AM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, POWERSTOP pads....now the car get dirty before the wheels.......
Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Pinnacle Diamond Wheel Coating and Powerstop pads....
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality aftermarket brake pad I recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad 100% made in the USA. A low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested I will be happy to help you out or you can order online here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out for your 5% discount.

ZO6/GS part numbers.
F: CT1405
R: CT1718

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 12-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM
testpros
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Another vote for Powerstop here. Best mod I did.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 AM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks,
First, congratulations on your set of HRE Wheels!

I too have been searching long and hard for the best ceramic or quartz coatings for wheels because obviously we have some interest in finding the best for our own wheels. Luckily one of our dealers happens to be one of the most world renown detailing shops around who happens to make their own video series as well so you can see what these products do and how well they perform.

For coatings, I personally have ordered the Kamikaze Stance Rim Coat, I'll be using it once my wheels are completed to test this out - http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamik...-coat-pro-kit/

Esoteric also has options from Gyeon, which is great because I almost exclusively use all Gyeon products (very good brand, I really suggest looking into them). Here's their ceramic coating - http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-rim-pro-kit/

So those two products are awesome of course, but the one that you're going to use more than anything else are wheel cleaners. Very important that you use PH neutral wheel cleaners because acidic compounds in wheel cleaners can harm the finish. I use Gyeon Iron which works by dissolving metallic sediment and breaking down iron particles which makes it easier to clean the wheel. This is a fantastic wheel cleaner, I'll never use anything else again because of how well it works.

Also yes, changing brake pads will help out, but it looks like you've got quite a bit of posts from other members for suggestions so I'll leave that to them.

Last edited by HRE_Jurrian; 12-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Thanks so much for the recommendations!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks so much for the recommendations!
My pleasure
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looks like I'll be ordering the Stance rim kit

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on applying coating yo new wheels snd reducing brake dust

Quick Reply: Need advice on applying coating yo new wheels snd reducing brake dust