C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway

Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway in a 2016 c7z that i bought new this past June. Car only has 3380 miles on it. I was in regular automatic mode, not messing with paddles. Temps are cool in south florida tonight, into the 50s id say. Accelerating WOT and the car went into limp mode... reduced engine power. I shut it off, and turned it back on, and still in limp mode. I drove home 8 miles. The car has zero mods. All factory. Car was in Touring mode setting. Ill take it to the dealership on monday. Engine and coolant temps seemed normal. I did not check the trans temps. I had the PDR going when it happened thank god. First time its happened. I also recorded the dash with video on my cell phone, after it was already in limp mode.

This may be my second c7z that is lemon lawed. I have a feeling that the mechanics won't be able to find the problem. I have a feeling the problem will replicate in the future. Im curious to see what they say on monday.

As another side note, this car's HUD never worked from the factory. The unit is completely bad, doesnt light up at all. I hesitated to have my dash torn apart to replace it, and just lived with it off until another problem arises.

GM really needs to step up their game. The c5 and c6z's were great cars.

Last edited by irun4cops; 12-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Stop by Harbor Freight and buy a $60 scanner and read the code(s). I carry one in the back compartment of my 16Z after my car threw a code at the strip and have used it a couple of times.
The following users liked this post:
irun4cops (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

sad. no good, GM.
irun4cops (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:57 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

im just going to leave it alone until i take it into the dealership on monday. Its 2 miles away, ill let them tell me the codes.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by irun4cops
Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway in a 2016 c7z that i bought new this past June. Car only has 3380 miles on it. I was in regular automatic mode, not messing with paddles. Temps are cool in south florida tonight, into the 50s id say. Accelerating WOT and the car went into limp mode... reduced engine power. I shut it off, and turned it back on, and still in limp mode. I drove home 8 miles. The car has zero mods. All factory. Car was in Touring mode setting. Ill take it to the dealership on monday. Engine and coolant temps seemed normal. I did not check the trans temps. I had the PDR going when it happened thank god. First time its happened. I also recorded the dash with video on my cell phone, after it was already in limp mode.

This may be my second c7z that is lemon lawed. I have a feeling that the mechanics won't be able to find the problem. I have a feeling the problem will replicate in the future. Im curious to see what they say on monday.

As another side note, this car's HUD never worked from the factory. The unit is completely bad, doesnt light up at all. I hesitated to have my dash torn apart to replace it, and just lived with it off until another problem arises.

GM really needs to step up their game. The c5 and c6z's were great cars.
What indicated the car was in Limp Mode? Did you have a DIC message or was it seat of the pants feel?

Bill
irun4cops (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

it said it across the dash.

Dealership says I burnt up the high pressure side fuel pump at 3380 miles. These cars are not made to keep up with my driving abilities apparently. Engine ran lean. I verified with the dealership that if the engine blows down the pike, they will cover it in full under warranty. They said yes. They are replacing the high side fuel pump... and then i will probably burn out the next one too, even faster than this one, because the first half of this cars life i wasn't very hard on it.

I apparently broke the record for fastest person to blow that pump on a new vette. Less than 6 months and under 3500 miles.

Like i said, ill blow the next one soon enough... probably the engine soon too.

Im going to rub in GM's faces that they don't build these cars as well as they should. My lingenfelter car i had to reinvent the fuel system. This one I'm leaving alone since its under warranty and they can see everything in the computer.

They could see how fast i was going, and got a good laugh. I had the PDR recording, but i did not need to supply it to them for them to cover it under warranty.

I plan to have it recording anytime i get on it hard.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

i dont do anything out of the ordinary with manual shifting or anything... car is an automatic and i leave it in automatic. Once in a while i put it into track mode... most of the time i just leave it in touring.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:49 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

odds of them installing the new HP fuel pump perfectly correct, are slim to none... so it will probably go bad faster than this first one did.

I understand the complexity of these pumps and the clearances being proper... i don't think they do yet.

Lemon law another one...

And think about how lazy you have to be on the assembly line to not make sure the HUD works on a car? Its your job to check it... you choose not to or you choose not to care and just shrug it off that the dealer can fix it later.

Ive seen evidence time and time again that the people who build these are idiots compared to the people who build the C5's.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Sounds like you bought the wrong brand of car. If you are so unhappy, maybe it's time to try something else.
irun4cops (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

we own 17 car dealerships. I don't need your petty criticisms suggesting i buy another brand of car... i have them all.

i will criticize car companies for having their reliability go backwards.... if and when it does.

If you don't like it.. go read a thread that aligns with your hoped reality of "brand loyalty"
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

and no, our dealerships are not the ones working on this car... it is a third party, as we don't own any in the state of florida.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

im loyal to cars that serve me well, and i will criticize those that don't.

Its a shame i cant modify the car because I already knew the odds of it having problems that i would need the warranty to cover...

Meanwhile, my 1000hp c6 lingenfelter car where i rebuilt the fuel system, i could run that car in excess of 200 mph and accelerate at WOT (traction pending) night after night.

The engineers cheap out, and these cars should have turbos not superchargers.

Chevy is dropping the ball.

I hope they get things right with the c8 engines and fuel systems.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by irun4cops
it said it across the dash.

Dealership says I burnt up the high pressure side fuel pump at 3380 miles. These cars are not made to keep up with my driving abilities apparently. Engine ran lean. I verified with the dealership that if the engine blows down the pike, they will cover it in full under warranty. They said yes. They are replacing the high side fuel pump... and then i will probably burn out the next one too, even faster than this one, because the first half of this cars life i wasn't very hard on it.

I apparently broke the record for fastest person to blow that pump on a new vette. Less than 6 months and under 3500 miles.

Like i said, ill blow the next one soon enough... probably the engine soon too.

Im going to rub in GM's faces that they don't build these cars as well as they should. My lingenfelter car i had to reinvent the fuel system. This one I'm leaving alone since its under warranty and they can see everything in the computer.

They could see how fast i was going, and got a good laugh. I had the PDR recording, but i did not need to supply it to them for them to cover it under warranty.

I plan to have it recording anytime i get on it hard.
I and a lot of others have made plenty of wide open throttle runs to the rev limiter in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears for several days in a row with our Z06s without burning up the pump. I have hours of video showing those runs through the gears. This is the first time I have heard of somebody having a problem with the high pressure pump so I suspect your case is a rarity and not a general problem with the car. I also seriously doubt you are anywhere near a hard user of the car if all you were doing were some wot pulls on the highway. You just don't have the space or the time available to do many before somebody comes to stop you.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
DebRedZR1 (12-12-2017), irun4cops (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

if youre trying to coax me into bragging about how long, and where, i keep theses cars at sustained WOT... you win. Im full of ****. Move along please.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

... meanwhile porsches don't fail... nor do my vettes with fuel systems i create.

But thats BS too probably.

instead... i just won the lottery of having the fastest failing fuel pump in any c7 vette ever built thus far.

I should go play the lottery next.

Goodbye bill.

Last edited by irun4cops; 12-11-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

i wouldn't be so arrogant with you bill... but your posts always wreak of it.

instead of gathering facts... you resort so quickly to "me vs you" mentality... ALWAYS.

And it makes me want to vomit. You have no clue who I am... STILL.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:10 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Definitely an isolated case of mechanical pump failure. I'm sure you'll be fine after they replace it. Sometimes, parts fail, regardless of what you are doing with the car. I seriously doubt you are driving it hard enough to "burn the pump out"... A bad pump is a bad pump...Plain and simple.

They'll get you going.

FWIW, I only have 5k miles on my car, but I floor it at least twice every time I drive it.... Its been to 160+ more times then I can count... Never had an issue.

Last edited by ajrothm; 12-11-2017 at 06:10 PM.
irun4cops (12-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway

Old 12-11-2017, 06:13 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

when you finally do find out who i am... i encourage you to try to dispute an interesting fact about myself...

while i have put close to 200,000 miles on vettes over the years...

you will find no record of me ever receiving a ticket.

That means I'm either like... CIA or something where i can make it all go away...

or it means... i don't get tickets at all.

Or a combination of the 2 might be the 3rd option.

One day, if i ever step into the public spotlight... i encourage you to request a drivers license record audit...

And ill be happy to give every state dmv from new york to kansas to florida to texas... the permission to publish my driving records.

until then... just tell your ego I'm not real... that way you can sleep well at night
Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

you guys didnt even gather... what my last c7z was lemon law'd for

this is why i pick on you guys... you don't gather facts... you just get high and mighty... with the wrong guy.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:17 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

irun4cops (12-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power, after full throttle while driving on highway