C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL
I kind of agree with this, although my point was going to be that anything mass produced cannot be a supercar.

The Z06 is clearly a super car, but it is not a supercar.

The term was coined many moons ago when it generally only applied to Ferrari's and Lamborghini's. I don't even think Porsche's would have been included unless they were some very rare variant like a 930 slant nose turbo.

Supercars were a very, very rare sight, had little to no practical use other than to go fast, were likely hand built, and were obtainable only by the very wealthy.

Today, depending where you live, a Z06 is not a rare sight. It is practical, it is affordable, it is mass produced. It is awesome, but it is not a supercar.
"Supercar" was used to describe the top end exotics. Most Ferrari models weren't supercars (basically it was just the top of the line models like the 512BB, Testarossa, F40). Porsche had no supercars until the 959 and then the GT1, they were just sportscars and/or grand tourers. Lotus never had a supercar, despite the Esprit being quite exotic and certainly a performer. The Ford GT40 and GT do tick the supercar boxes.

A supercar is more than performance.

If we were to listen to marketing departments, every car would be a supercar.

I'd say it's not worth arguing about really. Let those desperate to believe their corvette is a supercar keep believing that.
The following 2 users liked this post by PerKr:
Jus Cruisin (05-17-2018), Z0HS1CK (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hey, who cares what people call their cars?
My wife calls our Z06 "Mr. Sparkles".
Fine by me.
A guy where she works calls his plain-ol' black Pontiac "The Black Stallion". I reckon he was a little embarrassed about that name, the first time my wife pulled up in Mr. Sparkles.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
"Supercar" was used to describe the top end exotics. Most Ferrari models weren't supercars (basically it was just the top of the line models like the 512BB, Testarossa, F40). Porsche had no supercars until the 959 and then the GT1, they were just sportscars and/or grand tourers. Lotus never had a supercar, despite the Esprit being quite exotic and certainly a performer. The Ford GT40 and GT do tick the supercar boxes.

A supercar is more than performance.

If we were to listen to marketing departments, every car would be a supercar.

I'd say it's not worth arguing about really. Let those desperate to believe their corvette is a supercar keep believing that.
Nope. Go back and read reviews and tests of the 2003 to 2007 era Mercedes SL55 AMG's. The word supercar was used to describe that car, which was one of the first of the production cars to break 200mph, which was the barrier needed to move into that term. This was at a time where the car was "chipped: to limit top speeds to 180mph because the tires of the era weren't safe at higher speeds. This info is all over the net and it doesn't only apply to Mercedes, but their supercharged, hand built engine SL55 AMG's were, and are today, absolute rockets. BTW. GM hand builds their supercharged engines just like the AMG's.

All of this "exotic" crap has been manufactured since then by automotive writers, mostly euro trash, who look at Corvettes, or any American made sports car, as somehow being "inferior" to their European counterparts. Hell, to this day the French still think they are the only country that can make wine, even tho America brands dominate sales and global awards.

The LAST thing the European auto press wants is to have to recognize America builds cars that can, and do, run down some of their most their most cherished brands, and do so at half the cost or less.

We're just using the same incredible American innovation and technology we used during WWII so save their asses from themselves. You think these corksniffer's aren't gonna **** when the C8 comes out and really begins to blow their doors off?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

A couple of the "Supercar Experience" things, where you get to drive these cars on a track, include the NISSAN GT-R in their fleets. The Nissan is a supercar, but the Z06 isn't?

Edited: They have the GT-R, not the special-built race-spec car.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-17-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
A couple of the "Supercar Experience" things, where you get to drive these cars on a track, include the NISSAN GT-R NISMO GT3 in their fleets. The Nissan is a supercar, but the Z06 isn't?
Price. Make the z06 entry model start at $160k+ and the Zr1 at $220k+ then a fully loaded one about $30k more than it will be a supercar. Chevy needs to make the quality of the car better and increase the price drastically. That way less people will be able to afford it instead of every old man who wants one the way it is right now and it will increase its appeal. No one complains about the Ford GT not being a supercar. They didnt complain about the first gen Acura NSX as not being a supercar. Thats because all of those cars were very expensive for their times.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
A couple of the "Supercar Experience" things, where you get to drive these cars on a track, include the NISSAN GT-R in their fleets. The Nissan is a supercar, but the Z06 isn't?

Edited: They have the GT-R, not the special-built race-spec car.
that's just marketing, though. a manufacturer doesn't get to decide if their own products are supercars.....we all know that claims and statements made by the company who makes the product carry the least weight. who is going to sell something and say, "look, this isn't that good, honestly, but it's the best we could do."
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Yes mine is I don't know if you think yours is!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 05-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
that's just marketing, though. a manufacturer doesn't get to decide if their own products are supercars.....we all know that claims and statements made by the company who makes the product carry the least weight. who is going to sell something and say, "look, this isn't that good, honestly, but it's the best we could do."

Were getting nowhere with these hard headed people lol.

In the end let them believe it's a supercar. Because that's just for them to wanna believe. When they start mentioning it to people who actually know cars, then they'll get their dose of reality and finally realized their logic and reasoning is f'ed up lol
Tort (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Yes mine is I don't know if you think yours is!
I am with you pal.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Were getting nowhere with these hard headed people lol.

In the end let them believe it's a supercar. Because that's just for them to wanna believe. When they start mentioning it to people who actually know cars, then they'll get their dose of reality and finally realized their logic and reasoning is f'ed up lol

I believe my Timex is in the same fine, luxury watch category as a Patek Philippe since it tells time just as well and has a lot of neat features.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 05-17-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Z0HS1CK (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes it's a Super Car for us non-filthy rich people. It's a Super Car to us average worker bee's. Can't you see the attention you get from just driving it around town.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Yes it's a Super Car for us non-filthy rich people. It's a Super Car to us average worker bee's. Can't you see the attention you get from just driving it around town.
I am on my third C7 / second C7Z and no one even looks twice.....good thing that's not why I bought it. Actually, my friends and coworkers give me more **** than anything else for even owning a Corvette! I guess where I live you have to be secure about the choice of having a Vette in the garage, quite the opposite of "hard to stay humble." More like, "fighting Corvette induced low self esteem."
Z0HS1CK (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:53 PM
JDC PDX
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I would call it an extremely capable sports car. If you'd like to call it a supercar, have at it.

Does it make you smile when you drive it? That's all that matters.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Of course. The car can be anything you want it to be for yourself. If it makes you happy, that's all that matters. You can call it your spaceship if it makes you happy.

But that doesn't mean it fits under the definition of what this topic is about, it's just that simple. But then again we kept calling this simple yet people still have a hard time understanding it. So i guess it's not simple to you guys lol

But hey, if you think it's a supercar, then that's what it is. It's a supercar, a spaceship, your horse with the man in shining armor riding it, all that

Btw, my friend had a foxbody mustang with an LS1. It got looks everywhere we went. It was a pretty nice build, done right. But let's face it, it was a fox body mustang. So a sh*tbox lol.

Which means it was far from a supercar. But it got attention.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

The Grand Tour, Season 2, Episode 7. The first few minutes of "conversation street" go over some "supercars". Worth a watch.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I am on my third C7 / second C7Z and no one even looks twice.....good thing that's not why I bought it. Actually, my friends and coworkers give me more **** than anything else for even owning a Corvette! I guess where I live you have to be secure about the choice of having a Vette in the garage, quite the opposite of "hard to stay humble." More like, "fighting Corvette induced low self esteem."
Actually where i'm from, it's the opposite. I can't drive anywhere, even if it's a quick ride to the gas station, without someone breaking their neck, or hearing a kid as i'm passing by go, "ohhhhh man niceeeeee carrr".

But i think that is what brainwashed a lot of Z owners, is that attention.

They feel special driving it, which it does. It makes you feel good. The attention you get knowing you're driving a very good looking car. The Z is a great looking car. And it performs.

But just that doesn't cement itself in being called a supercar. A lot of cars have looks and performance, that doesn't mean they're supercars.

Because if the Z is a supercar, you can call all the BMW M cars supercars. All the AMG cars supercars. You can call the hellcat a supercar, a GTR a supercar.

And even if you wanna agree and call all those supercars just to help your argument, it still won't work because none of them are in fact, supercars lol.

And neither is the Z
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
What's funny is he could have sold 2 or 3 or however many "corvette supercars" he has and could get himself into a REAL supercar. SOmething with status, that shows class. That shows it's rare, it's expensive, it has high levels of engineering etc.

Not a high volume, plastic panel, creaky roof, overheating, poor auto trans shifting, dime a dozen, carrying a chevy badge SPORTS CAR

But hey, at least it LOOKS like a supercar!!!
hmmmm, like a720s maybe?

but alas..... it's hard to see those above you when you're too busy looking down on those in the "cheap seats" apparently.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
it's hard to see those above you when you're too busy looking down on those in the "cheap seats" apparently.
the irony is those in the cheap seats are the ones that have to look down.
Z0HS1CK (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

So basically with all the sound logic in this thread, all ACTUAL "supercar" owners are complete frickin dumbasses then. Why you ask? Because they spent a **** ton of money on a car that only looks good and gets its foreign *** waxed by a nobody corvette, or a turbo mustang, or some other modded import **** box. Paints a real nice picture of what your deep pockets can get you. A visually appealing car (depending on who's looking of course) car that was built by people that sold you an expensive piece of crap (Ferrari is a prime example), that smart people CHOOSE NOT to buy. "Actual supercar" owners should take comfort in the fact that they were literally robbed blind...provided that you care about getting the most "performance" (which is the base definition of a supercar) for your dollar. If you don't care about getting the highest performance value for your dollar...follow these idiots.

I know first hand, it feels WONDERFUL when you blow the doors off of a $400K Lambo with a $35K mustang. The look on the owners face is great...but the look on their wife's face is priceless.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
So basically with all the sound logic in this thread, all ACTUAL "supercar" owners are complete frickin dumbasses then. Why you ask? Because they spent a **** ton of money on a car that only looks good and gets its foreign *** waxed by a nobody corvette, or a turbo mustang, or some other modded import **** box. Paints a real nice picture of what your deep pockets can get you. A visually appealing car (depending on who's looking of course) car that was built by people that sold you an expensive piece of crap (Ferrari is a prime example), that smart people CHOOSE NOT to buy. "Actual supercar" owners should take comfort in the fact that they were literally robbed blind...provided that you care about getting the most "performance" (which is the base definition of a supercar) for your dollar. If you don't care about getting the highest performance value for your dollar...follow these idiots.

I know first hand, it feels WONDERFUL when you blow the doors off of a $400K Lambo with a $35K mustang. The look on the owners face is great...but the look on their wife's face is priceless.
There you go. My point. Value proposition. "For your dollar."

Howver, if your net worth is 50 million with 25 million in cash there are things you value besides performance metrics on paper and there is a lot more conspicuous consumption in your life than the guy making payments on a Corvette.

Furthermore, you probably own a Corvette, maybe 10 Corvettes, in addition to 35 other various vehicles. How do you judge the "Idiot Level" of that person?

Let's not be so small minded to assume that everyone has to choose one car and live with it. Life is not a survey question or a Top 10 List. The proper owner of a Lambo is not one making $5000 a month payments on it instead of $1000 payments on a Z06. His mortgage is $10k/mo not $1500 and his cars are kept in an offsite warehouse. You don't just substitute an Aventador in place of a Z06 in the two car garage.

What I am saying is, the false comparisons are our own. The guy ripping around in an Aventador is not concerned with one detail about your argument. That's a fantasy, sorry....
Z0HS1CK (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?