C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

A supercar is a combination of performance, exotic appeal, and exclusive characteristics. The vette only has performance. It is a great sports car but by no means a supercar. Not exclusive enough and not exotic enough in design, construction, and materials.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:48 PM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by moon2605
If the definition of a supercar is solely based on performance then by all means the ZO6 should be in the club. Even at stock levels it would pound on the R8. with the mods on my ZO6 there is no comparison. However I think there is something cool about a V10 mid engine car, AWD. I bought this for my cruiser. As a kid I always wanted a Lambo or a Ferrari . This Audi is the closest to that that fits the budget. I do like the Audi uniqueness. Whether it is due to being unpopular or whatever it is cool to drive a car and not see another just like it. The Audi certainly seems more refined. Lots of Carbon Fiber, exposed engine, etc. The ZO6 is a beast. I will be taking it out later today and it will get my adrenaline pumping for sure. I think it is very hard to do direct comparisons on any of these cars discussed other than performance #s. They all have their strong points and some draw backs. I guess the main thing is when you take your ride to the store do you look back at it as you are walking away. I do on both of these cars every time. If you are not looking back you bough the wrong car. I do wish the Audi R8 would have made this guys supercar list. LOL

Well said, I still look back at my c5 Z, lol!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:56 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
A supercar is a combination of performance, exotic appeal, and exclusive characteristics. The vette only has performance. It is a great sports car but by no means a supercar. Not exclusive enough and not exotic enough in design, construction, and materials.
I disagree, the looks of the Z06 is more exotic then any car on my entry level supercar car list except for the Viper and R8. Sure there are a bunch of Stingrays and Grandsports around that can rob some of that exclusiveness..

If the C7 Z06 just got introduced by itself and starting MSRP was $160k.. it will sell based of the performance and looks.

The following users liked this post:
Panth3r (05-15-2018)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

If the definition of a supercar is solely based on performance then by all means the ZO6 should be in the club. Even at stock levels it would pound on the R8. with the mods on my ZO6 there is no comparison. However I think there is something cool about a V10 mid engine car, AWD. I bought this for my cruiser. As a kid I always wanted a Lambo or a Ferrari . This Audi is the closest to that that fits the budget. I do like the Audi uniqueness. Whether it is due to being unpopular or whatever it is cool to drive a car and not see another just like it. The Audi certainly seems more refined. Lots of Carbon Fiber, exposed engine, etc. The ZO6 is a beast. I will be taking it out later today and it will get my adrenaline pumping for sure. I think it is very hard to do direct comparisons on any of these cars discussed other than performance #s. They all have their strong points and some draw backs. I guess the main thing is when you take your ride to the store do you look back at it as you are walking away. I do on both of these cars every time. If you are not looking back you bough the wrong car. I do wish the Audi R8 would have made this guys supercar list. LOL
Awesome review moon2605! The Audi V10 plus which is around $200k in my opinion can slide into the supercar list. I mean it can run around 10.6 and handles pretty well. The R8 V8 is not though lol But both versions are pretty exclusive and it has more of an exotic appeal than a z06.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:42 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Who GAF what any magazine/automotive writer thinks or defines is a supercar.

Some of you folks are way to concerned about what anyone thinks about your car. Just enjoy it and ignore what the automotive press liberal arts majors think.

The long and short of it is the Z06 is a great performance bargain. Comparing it against cars costing 2 or 3 times as much is a foolish exercise.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by SoCalFinest
I disagree, the looks of the Z06 is more exotic then any car on my entry level supercar car list except for the Viper and R8. Sure there are a bunch of Stingrays and Grandsports around that can rob some of that exclusiveness..

If the C7 Z06 just got introduced by itself and starting MSRP was $160k.. it will sell based of the performance and looks.

All the cars on your "entry supercar" are sports cars with the exception of the V10 R8. Corvettes are just too common and accessible to be considered a supercar. No supercar can be bought for 60k dollars after it is 2 years old.

Some people might then say the ZR1 is a supercar but again it is just a modded corvette with some performance upgrades. Corvettes are outstanding sports cars that punch well above their weight but by no means are supercars.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Yes. Look up some lap times. C7 z06 is a destroyer of supercars. Incredible VIR time set by Jim Mero in a z06.
SoCalFinest (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 PM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

R8 V10 Engine bay. Looks pretty exotic to me. But I am bias. Love this car.
Attached Images  
SoCalFinest (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:33 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 367 Posts

All the cars on your "entry supercar" are sports cars with the exception of the V10 R8. Corvettes are just too common and accessible to be considered a supercar. No supercar can be bought for 60k dollars after it is 2 years old.

Some people might then say the ZR1 is a supercar but again it is just a modded corvette with some performance upgrades. Corvettes are outstanding sports cars that punch well above their weight but by no means are supercars.
So if someone sold you there aventador for 60 grand then that means it's not a super car anymore?I don't know exact definition of super car, it's the price or the performance, if it's the performance then z06 will pass most of those super cars in that list.I think the right word would be exotic, due to price range class.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 367 Posts

Isn't Lamborghini huracan and R8 v10+ same ? I thought they have the same drive train and engine.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I think the OP made a great list although the R8's of a few years ago were not that fast compared to the modern one's. I definitely think the C7 Z06 is a supercar based on performance and looks alone. The problem is most people have different opinions about what a Supercar actually is. Is a car a Supercar based on price and how exclusive it is? I don't think so!
Old 12-17-2017, 04:36 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

A Nissan GTR is also NOT a sports car! It has a back seat.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Guess Porsche has only a hypercar according to the list, no supercar.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
I think the OP made a great list although the R8's of a few years ago were not that fast compared to the modern one's. I definitely think the C7 Z06 is a supercar based on performance and looks alone. The problem is most people have different opinions about what a Supercar actually is. Is a car a Supercar based on price and how exclusive it is? I don't think so!
A supercar is a combination of exclusivity, exotic qualities, and performance. Contrary to what you said, a supercar is not based on performance alone. If it was anyone that modded a fast fox body mustang would have a supercar.

A supercar is the whole package and corvette does not fall into that category.
5.4ever (05-11-2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Guess Porsche has only a hypercar according to the list, no supercar.
Carrera GT and GT2 RS is in the list under Supercars

Yeah the Audi R8 V10 plus is def a super car.. but not the V8
Old 12-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

The Z06 is pretty super to me!

Seriously, I would offer the only reasons the Z06 isn't in the "supercar" category are price and production numbers, i.e. commonality. Had GM built the same car, pricing it at $150k+ and limited numbers to 500-1,000 per year the discussion would be different. No other changes, just the premium price and exclusivity. Will the same discussions surround the upcoming ZR1? Likely but doesn't change my assertion on the Z06.

I am VERY thankful GM opted against this but it doesn't change the astounding performance of the Z06.

Allen
SoCalFinest (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default The C7 is THE Supercar

On a cost/performance scale the C7 is king of the hill.
I appreciate as much the development that has gone into making my 50+ year old dinosaur engine design competitive as I do avante garde designs.

Looks...to each his own, but my Z06 makes me smile every time.

Exclusivity.........??

All I can say about that is that when someone comes up to me and asks me if "Raquel" is a Ferrari, I happily and proudly tell them she is a Corvette. And smile to myself.

I wonder how the Ferrari guys respond when someone comes up and asks them if their ride is a Corvette?
SoCalFinest (12-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:04 PM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
The Z06 is pretty super to me!

Seriously, I would offer the only reasons the Z06 isn't in the "supercar" category are price and production numbers, i.e. commonality. Had GM built the same car, pricing it at $150k+ and limited numbers to 500-1,000 per year the discussion would be different. No other changes, just the premium price and exclusivity. Will the same discussions surround the upcoming ZR1? Likely but doesn't change my assertion on the Z06.

I am VERY thankful GM opted against this but it doesn't change the astounding performance of the Z06.

Allen

I just broke out the ZO6. It has 765 whp. May or may not be a super car but it sure makes me feel like Superman. What a beast. Makes an old fat man happy.

Last edited by moon2605; 12-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

A supercar is a combination of exclusivity, exotic qualities, and performance. Contrary to what you said, a supercar is not based on performance alone. If it was anyone that modded a fast fox body mustang would have a supercar.

A supercar is the whole package and corvette does not fall into that category.

Have to agree. Props to the Z06 for bringing great performance to the $100k and below market. But more than numbers create the supercar.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM
GenozWorld
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though the R8 is a nice looking car, the C7 clearly is a more aggressive. I would choose the C7 over it all day long.

Quick Reply: Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?