C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:38 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Love these discussions
I just try to stay out of the fray and enjoy the show
Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

So if the Z06 it’s a super car what’s the ZR1 a hyper car?
The following users liked this post:
XpatVetteLover (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I sure can't find your definition anywhere.

I have found a number like this.....

term supercar was coined to describe extremely expensive, extremely beautiful and extremely fast cars. But the proper use of this term is often subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. There is no clear definition of what characteristics a car must have to be a supercar. What constitutes a supercar is often a matter of opinion. Also, the use of the term is heavily dependent on the era - a car that is considered to be a supercar at one time may lose its superiority in the future.

It is also important to know that the term supercar refers to factory-built, usually unmodified, street-legal cars. Heavily modified and potentially street - illegal vehicles do not fall into the supercar category. Supercars are not muscle cars or tuned up sports cars. And there is no such thing as a cut price supercar.

A supercar is a car that combines speed, handling, unique design and represents the pinnacle of the automaker's art. Supercar is the car equivalent of a supermodel or a race horse. There are, off course, some basic criteria for measuring whether a car should be considered a supercar or not. Things to consider: design, acceleration, top speed, handling, power-to-weight ratio, style, rarity, price - all of these has to be super in a supercar.

Want an example? Here is a prime example of a supercar - The Bugatti Veyron.

The Bugatti Veyron is currently (2007) the most expensive (around $1.5 million) and fastest fully street legal car in the world. The Guinness Book of World Records included Bugatti Veyron under the heading - Fastest Production Car. With 1001 horsepower this supercar champion features all the most recent automotive advancements and is able to achieve a top speed of 253 mph (407km/h). This is faster than any production car ever made, it's actually faster than Formula 1 cars. Supercars are not just fast, they are blazingly fast.

Other supercars include: Koenigsegg CCX, Pagani Zonda, McLaren F1, Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, Enzo Ferrari, Lamborghini Murcielago and so on.

On the fun side, if you ever doubt whether a car is a supercar or not, consider this: A car might be a supercar if - you have a wallpaper or a poster of it, it's worth more than your house, you drool when you see one, it can break the speed limit in 1st gear, you will probably never own one, but if you do, you would never give the keys to the valet.

The term first became used that I am aware of in the early 2000's when the first of the street legal, production "supercars" became available. The Mercedes SL55 AMG, Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari were the top of the list. The SL55 was "chipped" to limit the top speed to about 185 because the street tires weren't safely capable of speeds beyond that.

Since they the term has been bastardized by manufacturers and everybody else to include/exclude all different types of cars.

It was a benchmark to break, now it's nothing special, but when the phrase was coined, a 200mph production street car was a huge deal.

There is a program on documentary on Netflix about Koenigsgg where I believe they talk about the 200mph barrier and the term super car.

A hyper car is an entirely different animal.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
The first benchmark I remember for a Hypercar was price. They were the first of the extremely limited edition, handbuilt rockets that broke the 1 million dollar per price tag.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Well I'm sure learning something new. I mistakenly thought the a car became a supercar based on performance and the subjective non-performance qualifiers (brand, production numbers, cost) were applied to the term "exotic". It's kinda sad that a car that could be the fastest car in the world but if it cost under 150K it is not a supercar.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by a striper
Well I'm sure learning something new. I mistakenly thought the a car became a supercar based on performance and the subjective non-performance qualifiers (brand, production numbers, cost) were applied to the term "exotic". It's kinda sad that a car that could be the fastest car in the world but if it cost under 150K it is not a supercar.
A 200MPH American made supercar for under $150K (todays dollars) is a monster statement in the automotive performance world. This is why the Nurburgring numbers are so important. It would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the vette can run with the big dogs costing far more.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

I sure can't find your definition anywhere.

I have found a number like this.....

term supercar was coined to describe extremely expensive, extremely beautiful and extremely fast cars. But the proper use of this term is often subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. There is no clear definition of what characteristics a car must have to be a supercar. What constitutes a supercar is often a matter of opinion. Also, the use of the term is heavily dependent on the era - a car that is considered to be a supercar at one time may lose its superiority in the future.

It is also important to know that the term supercar refers to factory-built, usually unmodified, street-legal cars. Heavily modified and potentially street - illegal vehicles do not fall into the supercar category. Supercars are not muscle cars or tuned up sports cars. And there is no such thing as a cut price supercar.

A supercar is a car that combines speed, handling, unique design and represents the pinnacle of the automaker's art. Supercar is the car equivalent of a supermodel or a race horse. There are, off course, some basic criteria for measuring whether a car should be considered a supercar or not. Things to consider: design, acceleration, top speed, handling, power-to-weight ratio, style, rarity, price - all of these has to be super in a supercar.

Want an example? Here is a prime example of a supercar - The Bugatti Veyron.

The Bugatti Veyron is currently (2007) the most expensive (around $1.5 million) and fastest fully street legal car in the world. The Guinness Book of World Records included Bugatti Veyron under the heading - Fastest Production Car. With 1001 horsepower this supercar champion features all the most recent automotive advancements and is able to achieve a top speed of 253 mph (407km/h). This is faster than any production car ever made, it's actually faster than Formula 1 cars. Supercars are not just fast, they are blazingly fast.

Other supercars include: Koenigsegg CCX, Pagani Zonda, McLaren F1, Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, Enzo Ferrari, Lamborghini Murcielago and so on.

On the fun side, if you ever doubt whether a car is a supercar or not, consider this: A car might be a supercar if - you have a wallpaper or a poster of it, it's worth more than your house, you drool when you see one, it can break the speed limit in 1st gear, you will probably never own one, but if you do, you would never give the keys to the valet.

Exactly lol.

Corvette owners might be some of the most insecure group i met lol.

Cool guys, always friendly at meets, always wave. But damn talk about insecure about their car.

I can accept the fact that my Z isn't a supercar, get over it already guys

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 04-21-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added quote
The following users liked this post:
Jus Cruisin (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:38 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Good question.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The Dodge Viper was considered America's only true Supercar. But since they stopped making it and this new ZR1 is now available, the ZR1 takes the title today as America's Supercar.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It's just NOT a supercar.
Is too!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

For the Z06 to be a supercar, it would need to cost twice as much and be slower on a track like the NSX and most Porsches. I still love my 3LZ purchased new for $74K. Absolutely no complaints.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:43 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Your own little poster fits you perfect how ironic!
You could stand to learn a little and read up!
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...es-comparison/
The C6 Z06 was very close to the 2006 ford Gt at less than half price. C7 Z06 is certainly a supercar if the GT is!
Hey Ding Dong, my post wasn't even in reference to the FGT vs Z06.

But if you go back about ten years you'll see I agree with you on it as I owned both at the same time. You can either use the search function or smoke another joint and click your heels three times.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by cvp33
For the Z06 to be a supercar, it would need to cost twice as much and be slower on a track like the NSX and most Porsches. I still love my 3LZ purchased new for $74K. Absolutely no complaints.
Honestly, the NSX of the 90s is more of a supercar of those days than a C7Z now in today's world.

Because how much did the NSX cost back then? 90k? That was a lot for a honda. Not to mention it had a mid engine. And it was rare. It was a true performance car back in the day. Still is not although underpowered.

I think people need to re-evaluate what makes a car a sports car, a supercar, exotic, hyper car etc.

I highly suggest someone take a ride in a new porsche 911 or something along those lines. You'll go back into the corvette and be like, "yeah i can see how cheap a GM product is compared to the euro stuff".
Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Honestly, the NSX of the 90s is more of a supercar of those days than a C7Z now in today's world.

Because how much did the NSX cost back then? 90k? That was a lot for a honda. Not to mention it had a mid engine. And it was rare. It was a true performance car back in the day. Still is not although underpowered.

I think people need to re-evaluate what makes a car a sports car, a supercar, exotic, hyper car etc.

I highly suggest someone take a ride in a new porsche 911 or something along those lines. You'll go back into the corvette and be like, "yeah i can see how cheap a GM product is compared to the euro stuff".
I have a 911 as well. Actually i had two. Traded one in for Z06. I wouldn’t call a 911 a supercar even though a Turbo S, Gt3 etc could smoke a lot of supercars. Btw if you haven’t owned a Porsche they don’t have such a thing as trim levels. Everything in interior amenities is ala carte. Prices really add up when checking boxes😬 I believe the 911 is the German Corvette and I love both of them.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

The 911 GT2RS is every bit a super car. If you're a porsche fan you'd know why. And i'm not only talking about price.

People are being misled that because the Z has 650hp and "LOOKS" like a supercar, then it is. But that's not how it works. There's more to it than power and looks. And if you wanna get really technical, some people still don't like the way the C7 looks.

I agree that the Z outperforms some supercars and looks like a supercar. We can all agree to that.

But that's not the sole definition of it, and that's why the C7Z can't be categorized under it.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The 911 GT2RS is every bit a super car. If you're a porsche fan you'd know why. And i'm not only talking about price.

People are being misled that because the Z has 650hp and "LOOKS" like a supercar, then it is. But that's not how it works. There's more to it than power and looks. And if you wanna get really technical, some people still don't like the way the C7 looks.

I agree that the Z outperforms some supercars and looks like a supercar. We can all agree to that.

But that's not the sole definition of it, and that's why the C7Z can't be categorized under it.
The GT2RS has a supercar price as well. It will also increase in value.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Like i said, it's not only about price.

But if you wanna, then a starting price of 80k, there's no way a Z can be a supercar LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Those that have bought the european exotics can't allow themselves to believe an $80k American 8 cylinder can be a supercar.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Like i said, it's not only about price.

But if you wanna, then a starting price of 80k, there's no way a Z can be a supercar LOL
I never said the Z06 was a supercar. I said a 911 wasn’t a supercar in my opinion. And yes we all have our opinions.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

For the price, it's a super car. Many people who can't afford its competitors, can afford a Z06. But no car like this is inexpensive to maintain. if the Z06 competitors don't bankrupt you on purchase, they will on maintenance.
Buy the stick, avoid the auto.

Quick Reply: Is the Z06 a legit Supercar?