C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon Ceramic Squeak....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by The T-man
wow...that's disapointing
I was ready to pull my pads and do the Brake Quiet
It's better than nothing and still worth doing. Just manage expectations...
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Tort
Racer

Update: Brakes are back to screaming as loud as ever. Taking the front OEM pads off and will save them for dedicated track use. Looking at other pad options that will strictly be for street use. Anyone have recommendations beyond Carbontech 1521's? Don't care about dust, just want them to be quiet and not ruin the carbon ceramic rotors.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Are the Carbotech 1521s going to work with your ceramic rotors? They were designed to work with iron rotors not ceramics. The pads for the ceramic brakes are made by Pagid and when you look up pad information on their web site you will see they make pads that designed for ceramic rotors. I wouldn't worry about the squeal. With the windows closed, the AC on and radio on you can't hear them squeal anyways.

Bill
Old 09-16-2018, 03:28 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Tort
Update: Brakes are back to screaming as loud as ever. Taking the front OEM pads off and will save them for dedicated track use. Looking at other pad options that will strictly be for street use. Anyone have recommendations beyond Carbontech 1521's? Don't care about dust, just want them to be quiet and not ruin the carbon ceramic rotors.
1: Do not mix different brands/types of pads front to rear;

2: Have you followed the street burnishing procedure?

3: Have you at least done some high speed stops simultaneously?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:31 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-almost.html
Old 09-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are the Carbotech 1521s going to work with your ceramic rotors? They were designed to work with iron rotors not ceramics. The pads for the ceramic brakes are made by Pagid and when you look up pad information on their web site you will see they make pads that designed for ceramic rotors. I wouldn't worry about the squeal. With the windows closed, the AC on and radio on you can't hear them squeal anyways.

Bill
According to Adam (seller above) there are different versions of the 1521s with the ~$350 pair being safe for the carbon ceramic rotors. It would be nice if there were more options though.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by thebishman

2: Have you followed the street burnishing procedure? (multiple times - only a temp fix)

3: Have you at least done some high speed stops simultaneously? (yes, that is how they were burnished and that procedure is what made these so damn loud in the first place - they were fine until then)
I appreciate the response but the obvious stuff outlined in this thread has already been done, more than once. I drive through an area that you have to "badge-in" to gain access which means every day to/from there is a lot of stop and go traffic as you wait to badge-in. These brakes make me and everyone in line with me deaf and it's definitely not something to just live with. Swapping pads should take care of it....
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 PM
DD4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tort,

Have you tried the Disc Brake Quiet again at all? I've used it on everything for years with good results. Since you said you used a thin coat I may pull the pads this weekend and put a heavier coat on them. When you pulled the pads after the DBQ quit working was there evidence that there was metal to metal contact between the backing pads and the caliper? Every time I've had to go back in and refresh the DBQ material I've found metal on metal wear points. Once I reapplied the DBQ the squeal went away. Not ideal but it worked. I've even had to tweak hardware at times to ensure everything was sorta tight yet slid smoothly.

Last edited by DD4me; 11-13-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by DD4me
Tort,

Have you tried the Disc Brake Quiet again at all? I've used it on everything for years with good results. Since you said you used a thin coat I may pull the pads this weekend and put a heavier coat on them. When you pulled the pads after the DBQ quit working was there evidence that there was metal to metal contact between the backing pads and the caliper? Every time I've had to go back in and refresh the DBQ material I've found metal on metal wear points. Once I reapplied the DBQ the squeal went away. Not ideal but it worked. I've even had to tweak hardware at times to ensure everything was sorta tight yet slid smoothly.
I can't figure out what is causing the screaming on the brakes. No obvious metal on metal bad spots and I don't think a thick coat on the back of the pad would do any good. The thin coat I originally put on the back of the pad was covered with rocks and other crap so I actually removed everything from the back and only put it on the contact points around the outside edge of the pad. Have yet to find a permanent fix outside of new/different pads. (note - pads/rotors haven't been tracked and have under 5K miles on them, so it's not a "worn" issue)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

The high temp ceramic paste I posted about earlier in this thread has solved my squeal 95%. The noise they make now is tolerable, where before it was unacceptable, sounded like a taxi or Metro Bus
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 PM
DD4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been unable to find any definitive information about the nature of the squeal. Is it pad on rotor or is it backing plate on caliper? I've come across some info about beveling the edges of the pad which indicates it might be pad on rotor. I'll pull it down this weekend and take a look.

There's got to be a fix for this....
Old 03-17-2022, 12:24 AM
Chomorro
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Bumping an old thread but I'm ready to trade this car in....... tried brake grease, stop squeal, cleaning the rotors, just last week tried copper high temp stuff on it, burnishing. None of it works, the car is silent first 30 miles of driving then it's bus size squeals at every stop. I have also followed threads of new oem brake pads not correcting it either.

Willing to try this 1521 pads if they actually work. Anyone have updates?
Old 03-17-2022, 11:35 AM
Gotham
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth over the past few years I found that hitting the rotors lightly with my small pressure washer and just water works the best. It's a pain but if I'm careful I can save wiping down the car and do just the wheels. It seems to last for about 50 to 100 miles or until they get dusty or hit dirty water again.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:54 PM
Chomorro
Racer

Originally Posted by Gotham
For what it's worth over the past few years I found that hitting the rotors lightly with my small pressure washer and just water works the best. It's a pain but if I'm careful I can save wiping down the car and do just the wheels. It seems to last for about 50 to 100 miles or until they get dusty or hit dirty water again.
I drive around 30- 50 miles a day sometimes when i get to take it out so i would be washing them every time! I may try these 1521 pads see if they help. Cheaper then a giro conversion at least.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:45 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Same here. After about 50 miles I get a squeal. Blasting a garden hose between the rotor and pad will rid you of it.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:58 AM
Chomorro
Racer

I have now tried all of these so no matter what people say on the forums don't waste your money. Squeal is still there after a long day of driving. It's not a vibration squeal, more like friction squeal.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Squeak....