C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon Ceramic Squeak....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Gotham
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just passed 1000 miles this week and noticed a very slight squeak at slow speed pulling into the garage....definitely something I can live with considering how amazing the ceramic brakes are! Hope it stays at slow speed if not I'll be doing a lot more washing !!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:16 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Yep. 100%. My C6 ZR1 pads used to do this either right after I burnished them, or after the first few laps on the race track. My Z06 pads are no different.

Once you cook 'em, it's highly likely they're going to squeal.
So I did the 'Street' burnishing procedure on two sets of pads on my CCMs, along with many track sessions. Never once experienced any major squeaking; in fact I would call it minor at most and when I did a few hard stops as well as keep the brakes clean, what minor squeak had started immediately went away.

So not everyone experiences what you mention.

Bish
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am getting same effect, very slow speed light braking = squeek
firm braking no squeek
Will try some hard stops and update
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM
jerho
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like some do and some do not. I have only 2000 mi on my CC Z 2016. It squeelsls like a pig on slow speed stops. Its embarrassing . Purchased some of that grease to apply but never did. Please post any results if anybody has used it and how to apply
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 PM
The T-man
Pro

update-
several hard stops, squeal went away for about 5 stops then it's back
What about that silicone rubber goo that you can put on the back of the pads, will this solve it?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by The T-man
update-
several hard stops, squeal went away for about 5 stops then it's back
What about that silicone rubber goo that you can put on the back of the pads, will this solve it?
Buy this and place it sparingly on the backing plates:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

I've also had good luck with this stuff in the past on other pads but haven't tried it on the carbon ceramics yet. Brake Quiet
Old 07-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Tort
Racer

Update for anyone curious. As mentioned before, the front brakes were getting unbearable in traffic. I pulled the pads and although there is no metal backing on the pads for the carbon ceramics, I went ahead and applied the Brake Quiet compound (linked above) to the entire back of the pad (light coat) along with the outer edges of the pad. This is overkill but, oh well...doing whatever I can to shut these things up. I did another "unneeded" step and lightly coated the pins and all contact points CRC synthetic caliper grease. After a week of driving through traffic, I can say it's a solid 90% better than it was. There is still a faint squeal at random times in slow traffic but it's a massive improvement from what it was. I only did the front pads though so there is a chance the squeal I'm hearing could be coming from the rear pads. It's only been a week and time will tell if this was just a Band-Aid but, it's absolutely better than it was before doing this. For as simple as a job as it is to pull the pads on these, it's well worth it IMO.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:21 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I had the same problem, with both front and rear pads. Really loud moaning wail, almost identical to air brakes on a semi trailer (there are a few YouTube videos of Mercs, particularly AMG GT's making the same sound). OEM Brembos, fully burnished (50, 60-0 stops within 15 minutes then a cool down drive on the freeway). Sound would go away after a wash, but be back within 25-50 miles. Unfortunately, in city driving, waiting until the last second, then stomping on the grippers doesn't quite work, especially in stop and go traffic on the freeway. So THAT isn't an option.

Couldn't take it any longer and put CarboTechs at all four corners. Quiet as a church mouse ever since.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 07-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 05:29 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Took mine to the dealer last week and complained about the squeak at slow stops. They changed my brakes and rotors under warranty. 6800 miles on them. They don't squeak now but I'm sure they are going to again.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you are not tracking the car the Carbotech 1521 brake pad will solve the noise issue. Low dust quiet 100% non-corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint.

Part numbers:

F: CT1395 $360.00
R: CT1165ZR $258.00

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 07-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:19 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman 357
My 2016 ZO7 has developed a very annoying brake squeak during low speed easy stops. Sometimes the brakes also make a grinding noise just before stopping. Plenty of wear left on the pads. I did a serious wheel and brake dust cleaning with no effect. The car has less than 7k miles. Is this cause for concern...
It's absolutely normal.
PHILLY JOE (03-18-2022)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 PM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
If you are not tracking the car the Carbotech 1521 brake pad will solve the noise issue. Low dust quiet 100% non-corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint.

Part numbers:

F: CT1395 $360.00
R: CT1165ZR $258.00

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Do these pads include the pad wear sensors as equipped on z07 or carbon ceramic brake optioned vehicles.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:04 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TUNERZ
Do these pads include the pad wear sensors as equipped on z07 or carbon ceramic brake optioned vehicles.
No, they don't. If you're careful and they aren't worn or damaged, you can carefully remove and re-use the original sensors. Otherwise, you can buy new sensors online at a few places (there are a couple of threads with the part numbers) for about $35-$40 per wheel. They are sold individually, and there is a different part number for front and rear (but they are not left or right side specific).
Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by TUNERZ
They are notched for the sensor but sensor is not included.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 PM
The T-man
Pro

So why does washing cause the squeal to go away, then it returns?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Tort
Racer

T-man raises a good question. My initial thought would be it washes away brake dust causing them the squeal but these don't create a lot of dust in the first place so....?

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Ceramic Squeak....

Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Tort
T-man raises a good question. My initial thought would be it washes away brake dust causing them the squeal but these don't create a lot of dust in the first place so....?
Again, this isn't a brake dust thing. It's what's going on behind the pad, between the pad backing and the caliper. Washing just gets some water (and likely soap) trapped between the caliper and brake pad, which acts as a poor-man's lubricant until it dries up. Then the squeal returns.

Add brake pad grease. Call it a day.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Tort
Racer

If it was only a matter of the back of the pads, what I did would have taken care of it for good and it didn't. I coated the entire back of the pad with Brake Quiet and every other contact point with brake grease. It helped some but ever day seems to get slightly more "squeally"...

Last edited by Tort; 07-10-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:40 PM
The T-man
Pro

wow...that's disapointing
I was ready to pull my pads and do the Brake Quiet

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Squeak....