C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best performance mods that don't need tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 AM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Best performance mods that don't need tuning

what are the best performance mods which don't require tuning for 2016 M7 ? I do roll racing sometimes and very rarely go to the drag strip.

I thought about the following:

- Borla x-pipe (does it cause bad exhaust smell?)
- Tony Mamo portrd throttle body
- shot throw shifter

what is you opinion? Any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Taz Golf
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Add a Halltech intake to the list! I also added an Akrapovic Full Exhaust which added HP as well as dropping Lbs. No tune required with these mods.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-25-2017 at 09:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taz Golf:
DebRedZR1 (12-25-2017), Marv2006 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Afe intake

corsa x pipe with extreme back half

close the hood and enjoy the car!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

IMHO you're missing the number one mod for performance improvement. The DSC Sport mag shock controller allows you to use the power the car comes with from the factory. It's really makes no sense to add more power when you can't use what you already have as you can't get it to the ground.

FWIW, this is not just my opinion. Literally HUNDREDS of forum members who've bought the controller agree. I've never seen an aftermarket mod receive such acclaim, just amazing response and confirmation of the device from purchasers.

Do a Z06 forum Title SEARCH on "DSC" and see for yourself what the masses have to say...
The following users liked this post:
fmcokc (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 10:20 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWEST Z
what are the best performance mods which don't require tuning for 2016 M7 ? I do roll racing sometimes and very rarely go to the drag strip.

- shot throw shifter

Halltech intake is the biggest bang you can do on a Z06! For an m7 Halltech plus Mamo and DSC controller equal a fast car!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

On the original posters 3 modifications other than the short throw shifter I'd say Save your money. Drive more...maybe take a drivers course ..

I always liked changing the air intake for a few extra ponies.

I always thought Jim Hall made great products.

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-25-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
On the original posters 3 modifications other than the short throw shifter I'd say Save your money. Drive more...maybe take a drivers course ..

I always liked changing the air intake for a few extra ponies.

I always thought Jim Hall made great products.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:07 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Spring Mountain, Mamo ported throttle body and the Borla catless x-pipe. That's all I did and I'm completely satisfied.
The reality is, these cars, even in stock form, exceed most driver's ability to drive them anywhere near it's limit.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
sonicss33 (03-06-2020), Z06NJ (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 01:55 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

For the CAI i have seen different opinions where some people prefer the AFE over halltech. Also, is it confirmed that runing is not required? It will not throw codes?

For x pipe i am leaning toward borla over corsa, as I understood from reading in the forum that i can lose power when installing corsa x pipe (it has a larger diameter than stock and borla) because the corsa x pipe is not matching with the stock catback pipes diameter.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:01 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Originally Posted by capevettes
Spring Mountain, Mamo ported throttle body and the Borla catless x-pipe. That's all I did and I'm completely satisfied.
The reality is, these cars, even in stock form, exceed most driver's ability to drive them anywhere near it's limit.
where did you buy the Mamo ported throttle body? Do you have a link?

Do you feel a noticeable difference after installing the ported TB?
Old 12-25-2017, 04:05 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I just did BMS drop-in filter, Tony Mamo TB, and MGW short shifter. Huge difference from stock. Drives a lot better now.

PM Tony Mamo or email him through his website. He responds to emails faster. He will send an invoice for the amount and I believe it's about a 3 week wait.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

where did you buy the Mamo ported throttle body? Do you have a link?

Do you feel a noticeable difference after installing the ported TB?
I bought it directly from Tony Mammo. He is a forum sponsor. I have an M7. Throttle feels more linear and responsive. Pulls nice through mid range and higher RPM's with the additional air flow. The Borla catless helps it exhale and it wails at higher revs.

Last edited by capevettes; 12-25-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Forged wheels!!! Drop 28-32 lbs of unsprung weight, look better more robust and no tuning required. 30lbs of unsprung weight is like 50hp plus, in "regained" performance. Then, ported TB, AFe cai and Borla xpipe. And when need the absolut 100%, boostane and will extracting most of the untuned power!!!

Last edited by timmyZ06; 12-25-2017 at 07:53 PM.
pkincy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

- shot throw shifter

Without a doubt the single biggest update for the late model C7 is DSCsport chassis controller and proper setup.
all of the C7 models have more than ample performance more than most all pro race car series allow.
Its all about putting down the power and having a chassis that is easy to find the limit with no ills including comfort. DSC is the true nirvana.
My Z06 stock was more than a handful and you could not put down power or trust the car it was diabolical in the wet.
DSC has the Active answer allowing a fantastic ride and puts down power like a mad man. huge benefits in lap time as well as ride 60 foot for the drag racers is the biggest benefit.
DSC controller along with a chassis setting that is online at dscsport.com
dont be afraid to go aggressive on the setup tire wear and comfort are so good it all goes together.
All of the performance values are possible due to the incredible underlying tub from GM all of the components are top notch and the chassis is extremely rigid.
Next big upgrade is the Tractive shocks and simply reflash the tuned file and drive . more comfort and performance.
Merry Christmas Happy holidays

Last edited by DSC Sport; 12-26-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2017, 08:43 AM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Without a doubt the single biggest update for the late model C7 is DSCsport chassis controller and proper setup.
all of the C7 models have more than ample performance more than most all pro race car series allow.
Its all about putting down the power and having a chassis that is easy to find the limit with no ills including comfort. DSC is the true nirvana.
My Z06 stock was more than a handful and you could not put down power or trust the car it was diabolical in the wet.
DSC has the Active answer allowing a fantastic ride and puts down power like a mad man. huge benefits in lap time as well as ride 60 foot for the drag racers is the biggest benefit.
DSC controller along with a chassis setting that is online at dscsport.com
dont be afraid to go aggressive on the setup tire wear and comfort are so good it all goes together.
All of the performance values are possible due to the incredible underlying tub from GM all of the components are top notch and the chassis is extremely rigid.
Next big upgrade is the Tractive shocks and simply reflash the tuned file and drive . more comfort and performance.
Merry Christmas Happy holidays
thanks for the information. I heard nice complements about the DSC controller.

can you please elaborate more how the DSC controller can improve my 60 foot in the drag race?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Forged wheels!!! Drop 28-32 lbs of unsprung weight, look better more robust and no tuning required. 30lbs of unsprung weight is like 50hp plus, in "regained" performance. Then, ported TB, AFe cai and Borla xpipe. And when need the absolut 100%, boostane and will extracting most of the untuned power!!!
I had the forged wheels I bought from you they were maybe 2 pounds lighter at most if it was that much compared to the cups. I weighted them.
The Finspeeds Got them on and took 1 in to get straightened. The only bent wheel I have ever found on my own on a Corvette were talking 30-40 wheels!
$Bill (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM
thewb
Supporting Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Akrapovic Exhaust +19 hp // + 19 ft-lb // - 25.5 lbs

HRE R101 Lightweights - 19"x10.5" at 18 lbs each // 19"x12" at 19.4 lbs each

No tuning required, massive performance gains...

Get notified of new replies

To Best performance mods that don't need tuning

Old 12-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Dennisbreheny
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attack Blue Nano Filter vs Green OEM

All-

A long time reader here but just created a username. I posted this on the new user section as well. I have a '16 A8 Z06. As with many on here, I am always looking for ways to upgrade. I have seen mentions of the Attack Blue Nano filter, along with the Green OEM as a quick and affordable modest upgrade. I am no car expert and do not pretend to be. Can some people share their opinions of which one is preferred? How difficult is installation? Most importantly, do those who have one of them notice a difference?

Thank you all so much in advance! Some awesome posters on here.

Best,
Dennis
Old 12-27-2017, 07:43 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dennisbreheny
All-

A long time reader here but just created a username. I posted this on the new user section as well. I have a '16 A8 Z06. As with many on here, I am always looking for ways to upgrade. I have seen mentions of the Attack Blue Nano filter, along with the Green OEM as a quick and affordable modest upgrade. I am no car expert and do not pretend to be. Can some people share their opinions of which one is preferred? How difficult is installation? Most importantly, do those who have one of them notice a difference?

Best,
Dennis
Vs BMS The other choice and best flow of the 3
but is a dry non cleanable. But at around a 100.00 is a good choice.

I have the green in my 2017 A8. A new BMS sitting here. But am selling both and doing another Halltech like I have on my 2015.
So if you want the green and BMS for 200.00 shipped. Send me a PM!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dennisbreheny
All-

Best,
Dennis
After a LOT of research, I went with BMS filter and Tony Mamo ported throttle body. The car drives completely different than it did stock.
Installing both takes about 30 minutes.

http://www.burgertuning.com/corvette...ke_filter.html

Quick Reply: Best performance mods that don't need tuning