C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 AM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Best tires?

Well looking for some ideas on what other members have replaced there tires and if they have a better ride and traction with a new set of tires. Looks like we are limited on brands.

Thanks for the advise
Mark
Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 AM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I just took a gamble on these. Figured I give them a try for a winter setup.
I like the fact that they only weigh 28 pounds compared to say the Nitto 345's which are 38 Pounds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-X-New-Lex...JaIFqY&vxp=mtr

http://www.lexanitires.com/tire/lx-twenty

Also, every review I have found has been excellent.

Last edited by geterdone; 12-30-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:27 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by geterdone
I just took a gamble on these. Figured I give them a try for a winter setup.
I like the fact that they only weigh 28 pounds compared to say the Nitto 345's which are 38 Pounds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-X-New-Lex...JaIFqY&vxp=mtr

http://www.lexanitires.com/tire/lx-twenty

Also, every review I have found has been excellent.
What size are you running on the front? Get fronts off ebay as well?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I'm a broken record on this. Michelin Pilot Supersports, 295/30/19 F, 325/25/20 R. Don't let the 325 rear size fool you, it's actually wider than either of the 335 variants (SC2 or PS2). Grip is plenty good, much better in the cold than either of the stock options. Best way to buy is using the Discount Tire Direct sales/rebates when available and you'll net these down to ~$1,050 a set. I always keep a set in inventory. Luck if I get 10K out of the fronts.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cvp33
I'm a broken record on this. Michelin Pilot Supersports, 295/30/19 F, 325/25/20 R. Don't let the 325 rear size fool you, it's actually wider than either of the 335 variants (SC2 or PS2). Grip is plenty good, much better in the cold than either of the stock options. Best way to buy is using the Discount Tire Direct sales/rebates when available and you'll net these down to ~$1,050 a set. I always keep a set in inventory. Luck if I get 10K out of the fronts.
IMHO, **** tires on the C7Z unless performance is not your main criteria. I bought a set and in less than a week returned them. Just terrible as they significantly compromised the excellent chassis.

NOT starting a tire war just letting you know I wouldn't run them if they were free. Been there, done that. FWIW, I fully realize if you just use your car for cruising around town or mild Sunday drives they are fine.

My question in the post above was in reference to an all season tire which a friend is wanting for winter and performance is not a concern. Not having any luck finding an all season tire which will fit the OEM 19/20 wheels. I know some are runningthe 305 Michelin on a 12" wheel but I just feel it's stretched too far. Pics I've seen look like the wheel extends well past the tire.

To answer the OP's question there is no better tire for the car than the OEM Michelin's if you want max performance. A trult remarkable tire. They are NOT junk like the old run flats...

Last edited by rikhek; 12-30-2017 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
IMHO, **** tires on the C7Z unless performance is not your main criteria. I bought a set and in less than a week returned them. Just terrible as they significantly compromised the excellent chassis.

NOT starting a tire war just letting you know I wouldn't run them if they were free. Been there, done that. FWIW, I fully realize if you just use your car for cruising around town or mild Sunday drives they are fine.

My question in the post above was in reference to an all season tire which a friend is wanting for winter and performance is not a concern. Not having any luck finding an all season tire which will fit the OEM 19/20 wheels. I know some are runningthe 305 Michelin on a 12" wheel but I just feel it's stretched too far. Pics I've seen look like the wheel extends well past the tire.

To answer the OP's question there is no better tire for the car than the OEM Michelin's if you want max performance. A trult remarkable tire. They are NOT junk like the old run flats...

Your a little hard on the SS non runflats but they are not the tire the MPSS is. The stock MPSS is spec'd by GM for the Corvette they are the best for a reason. .
Old 12-30-2017, 02:08 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I keep wondering when you post this if you just got a bad set of MPSS. I had the PS2’s and frankly wasn’t that impressed. I did manage a 2:10 on them at VIR. For me the MPSS were every bit the equal of the PS2’s and actually better than the PS2’s under 50*. There are actually 2 types of 295/30’s you can buy as well. I avoid the Mercedes spec fronts as they feel like a mismatch in sidewall design which make the Z feel twitchy. I also have the DSC and their track alignment which definitely makes a difference. I’m sure the SC2’s are better but I’m not tracking with stockers anymore.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 PM
geterdone
Racer

What size are you running on the front? Get fronts off ebay as well?
I've got an extra set of Wheels so I'm just going to mount the back's first before I get the fronts to double check that I like them or the way they look; then I'll decide if it's a go.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
geterdone
Racer

You actually know or have heard or seen people who have actually tried a 305 Tire in the back on a 12" Wheel.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:50 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

For daily use, I install Conti ExtremeContacts -- better ride quality, great in rain, and not bad when snowfall isn't extreme. In the northeast, roads are in such horrible condition that my stock SS are just too harsh. However, use the SS for track days. Contis certainly not as crisp as the Michelins, but for around town and trips, it doesn't matter.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fpfaeth
For daily use, I install Conti ExtremeContacts -- better ride quality, great in rain, and not bad when snowfall isn't extreme. In the northeast, roads are in such horrible condition that my stock SS are just too harsh. However, use the SS for track days. Contis certainly not as crisp as the Michelins, but for around town and trips, it doesn't matter.
What size Conti's?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

You actually know or have heard or seen people who have actually tried a 305 Tire in the back on a 12" Wheel.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...led-today.html
Old 12-30-2017, 08:24 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

I've got an extra set of Wheels so I'm just going to mount the back's first before I get the fronts to double check that I like them or the way they look; then I'll decide if it's a go.
OK, so if you do decide to run the LEXAN in the front what size will you go with and where will you buy? I don't see a 19" that would be acceptable in their online catalog. But they also don't show the 345 in the catalog either...

Last edited by rikhek; 12-30-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:36 AM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

What size Conti's?
285/30 and 335/25. Since they are not run-flats, I keep a sealant kit (bought the same one I have in my CTS-V) in the rear compartment below the carpeting.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 PM
geterdone
Racer

OK, so if you do decide to run the LEXAN in the front what size will you go with and where will you buy? I don't see a 19" that would be acceptable in their online catalog. But they also don't show the 345 in the catalog either...
http://www.lexanitires.com/media/doc...-lx-twenty.pdf

Above is a link that shows all their tire sizes and also the specs. Also, the front tire thing is kinda of a dilemma, it does show however that they make a 275/30 in 19's. The 275 should work, difference is minimal with the width only having a .4" decrease and the diameter only being .2" smaller.

Based on the spec sheet do believe that the 345 and 275's are going to or already are discontinued, based on the sku/article number that is slightly different in session and since it doesn't show all the specs. I could be wrong and it may be that they are new sizes on a second release; just would have to call and see.

Here is a link showing differences in size between the 285 and 275.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r19-275-30r19

Last edited by geterdone; 12-31-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Fix Error
Old 01-01-2018, 02:13 AM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fpfaeth
So they are holding up below freezing fine? That is my big concern with the SS tires. Snow isn't a big concern here but the mornings will be below freezing for the next couple months.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 AM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

after reading all the replies I am more confused than ever. I guess I will go with what came on the car as original equipment which I hate with little to no traction below 50 degrees and the 4x4 feeling when turning hard going slow.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cvp33
I went with same setup

Get notified of new replies

To Best tires?

Quick Reply: Best tires?