C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Roll racing A8

Old 01-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

From this thread I have gathered that a C7Z will get outrun by a full bolt-on C6Z? I keep going back and forth about a C6Z or C7Z and I do not want to grab a C7Z with stage 1 aero and get drug by a C6Z with bolt-on's. I would of course want the A8, as I want to try out one of these newfangled fast shifting automatic transmissions.

Also, I am sure the auto has a sport mode to select a gear and then bump it into drive as you redline that gear.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I think Mr Gizmo's butt dyno is used to the power band of the C6Z, which is basically dead til 4k then takes off nicely, then really rips from 6-7k..... That is its power band.... Where as a C7Z makes power instantly, and does start to flatten out about 6k..... The real story though, it that's a "feeling".... a perception. Just like a KX65 2 stroke dirtbike has a NASTY power band, that doesn't mean its faster then a KX450 4 stroke.... feel and perception are two different things then reality sometimes.

Show me ANYTHING that PROVES a stock C6Z is faster then a C7Z in any category besides top speed..... (We all know a C6Z is a 198 mph car and a C7Z is a 195 mph car)..

I do like C6Zs, they are great bang for the buck and they are NASTY when modded, especially on highway rolls....... But a stock 450 rwhp C6Z is not going to beat a 550 rwhp C7Z with competent drivers....Its not happening. They may "feel" completely different getting the job done, but that doesn't make it faster.

As I posted a few posts back, I just raced a head/cam C6Z two weekends ago in my CAI A8 car and I had 2 cars on him at 150 mph.... On paper, he SHOULD have beat me....but he couldn't make up the jump I had on a 40 mph hit....then every time he let off to shift, he lost ground....he never really started to gain on me at all, even passed 140 mph...... That's the reality, not "feeling"...

Mr Gizmo reminds me of my Dad's mentality, "everything is faster with 4.10 gears and a 4 spd"...... When in reality, a 3.55 and a 3 spd auto is faster most of the time. Seat of pants feel < reality.

It sucks he is disappointed in his purchase of the C7Z, and he will be crying to us in every one of his posts until he sells it.
This is probably a correct assessment . The power band of the c6z and the better manners of the c7z is my reality that makes the seat of pants of the c7z seem a bit flat-zero to 150 as reported by car and driver shows a c6z to be about a second quicker. .Considering the 60 foot jump the c7z has the c6z has something very special going on to make up that deficit.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-17-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 844 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
This is probably a correct assessment . The power band of the c6z and the better manners of the c7z is my reality that makes the seat of pants of the c7z seem a bit flat-zero to 150 as reported by car and driver shows a c6z to be about a second quicker. .Considering the 60 foot jump the c7z has the c6z has something very special going on to make up that deficit.
In the real world it does not.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 781 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I'll keep em both! My C6Z is sweet, but my C7Z is bad ***!

Enough said

Jmills
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
From this thread I have gathered that a C7Z will get outrun by a full bolt-on C6Z? I keep going back and forth about a C6Z or C7Z and I do not want to grab a C7Z with stage 1 aero and get drug by a C6Z with bolt-on's. I would of course want the A8, as I want to try out one of these newfangled fast shifting automatic transmissions.

Also, I am sure the auto has a sport mode to select a gear and then bump it into drive as you redline that gear.
What is the point when you can just add a Halltech intake and the C7 Z06
runs with the ZR1 let alone a C6 Z06 with bolt-on's. No worries about getting drug ! Had all of those cars and several of each of the Z06's. The C7 Z06 is a better car than either of the C6's Your holding yourself back for silliness! IMO!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 PM
davbrucas
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This ^^^

Your illusions of grandeur with the C6Z in every one of your posts is entertaining... BTW, I beat a head/cam C6Z from a 45 roll in my C7Z A8 this weekend...I had a car gap on him by 150... By your calculations, he should have RAPED me....

The A8 on the stock tune is very picky about starting and shifting points. The trick is to pull the shifter down into Manual, paddle to the gear you want to start in, as SOON as you nail it, shift it back to Drive and let it shift itself. If you are starting in 2nd, you can not start faster then 45 mph, even though you have plenty of RPMs, the computer/trans will not complete the 2-3 shift before its on the limiter.

The gear spacing for roll racing is awkward. 2nd gear starts are too high for anything over 45 mph.....And 3rd gear starts are WAY too slow for anything under a 75 roll.... You would think with 8 speeds, roll racing gear selection would be easier but..its not the case.

I raced a Paxton supercharged ACR Viper this weekend in Mexico, he wanted to start from 60 mph, which ended up being 55 mph....I was in 3rd and it just KILLED me on the start...he went through 2nd and some of 3rd before I even got through 3rd.... I still tied him at 143 mph though... He was quite surprised....(as was I...LOL)...Notice how long my car was in 3rd...starting at like 3400 rpms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggHg9vTKw4A

If we had gone from a 45 roll with me in 2nd, he would have been in trouble.

Houston is a quite a ways from Mexico.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:16 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggHg9vTKw4A

If we had gone from a 45 roll with me in 2nd, he would have been in trouble.
Originally Posted by davbrucas
Houston is a quite a ways from Mexico.
I like how you get from 57mph (23 second mark) to 143mph (32 second mark) in 9 seconds.
I mean from Mexico to Houston in 9 seconds.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4
I think what you are trying to do is get the car in performance algorithm mode.

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
This is what I do.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
This is what I do.
Will it really hold for ten seconds? To me, it has seemed closer to three seconds.
That would be, "alligator one, alligator two, alligator three", for the people in Florida.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Owners manual says 4 seconds
Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

It's simple.

go to manual mode.

select gear you want to start in

then got WOT

as soon as you do, CLICK the gear selector BACK to "D" it will then upshift like it was in auto mode the entire time.

And no.. there is no speed a C6Z will run down a C7Z Espeically with an A8.. speaking from experience.

ps. The less aero add ons you have only makes the gap larger when running other vehicles but even stage III C7Z is faster than any stock C6Z.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-27-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
It's simple.

go to manual mode.

select gear you want to start in

then got WOT

as soon as you do, CLICK the gear selector BACK to "D" it will then upshift like it was in auto mode the entire time.

And no.. there is no speed a C6Z will run down a C7Z Espeically with an A8.. speaking from experience.

ps. The less aero add ons you have only makes the gap larger when running other vehicles but even stage III C7Z is faster than any stock C6Z.
I hope your right because I own a c7z—- but don’t think you are stock c7z versus stock c6z.

see these threads.. Let’s get blade09z06 to chime in. He ran his buddy driving a C7z a8 —- to 100 the c7z a8 had the c6z by 2 cars then c7z got reeled In by 150. And walked on big time on the big end.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ock-c7z06.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vs-c6-z06.html

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-27-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:12 PM
davbrucas
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope your right because I own a c7z—- but don’t think you are stock c7z versus stock c6z.

see these threads.. Let’s get blade09z06 to chime in. He ran his buddy driving a C7z a8 —- to 100 the c7z a8 had the c6z by 2 cars then c7z got reeled In by 150. And walked on big time on the big end.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ock-c7z06.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vs-c6-z06.html
I’m not doubting the results in those threads as it may have happened but I got different results. I raced my friend’s C6z in my C7z when my car was stock. He had a catback only.
We did 2 runs from 60-160 and I put about 1.5 car lengths to 110 and he crept back to within a few feet of my rear bumper at 160. He may have passed me by 180 but who races to 180?
My car is a stage I.

I have TVS2300, cam, intake, full exhaust, pulley, meth and tune now and he won’t even race me. 😂
Old 10-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I just got out of break in and have been playing with manual mode. Why wouldn't it be faster to just manually shift the whole time? It seem to me that as long as the revs are high enough as soon as I hit the up shift paddle it shifts.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Don't try to manually shift for acceleration unless using the manual mode to JUST select a starting gear then put the selector back to drive once you go wot. The car is slower in manual. You cannot beat the computer on upshift selection.

I've done it. I can drive. The fastest way to run from a roll in the A8 is what I listed above.

and no gizmo... the C6Z is not a close contender to the C7Z stock for stock unless you get into the ridiculous above 150 area where the downforce ot the C7Z Hurts it. Not even close.

and cai vs cai cara the C7Z walks the c6Z beyond that. Take my word on it. The stock intake holds this car back like you couldn't believe. More so than any car I've ever driven owned or seen.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:10 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Don't try to manually shift for acceleration unless using the manual mode to JUST select a starting gear then put the selector back to drive once you go wot. The car is slower in manual. You cannot beat the computer on upshift selection.

I've done it. I can drive. The fastest way to run from a roll in the A8 is what I listed above.

and no gizmo... the C6Z is not a close contender to the C7Z stock for stock unless you get into the ridiculous above 150 area where the downforce ot the C7Z Hurts it. Not even close.

and cai vs cai cara the C7Z walks the c6Z beyond that. Take my word on it. The stock intake holds this car back like you couldn't believe. More so than any car I've ever driven owned or seen.
16/C7Z is right the lt4 in the Z06 in best engine yet. when you add the 2300!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:22 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
16/C7Z is right the lt4 in the Z06 in best engine yet. when you add the 2300!
The lt4 is the best engine for a c7z06 for sure. It would also work well for the full size chevy /gmc pick up truck line as an option for snow birds wanting an alternative to diesel for towing their big campers. Slap a 2300 on that and chugging up big hills in high gear at 2300 rpm is a piece of cake.

a good portion of the c7z ownership are oldsters— I bet an entrepreneur could make some money making a trailer hitch for the c7z. Then the question - is an a8 or m7 better in the z06 for towing a 5th wheel. Well you have both! That entrepreneur can sell 2 trailer hitches to you! The c7z best corvette ever to tow your 5th wheel around a track .

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-31-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll racing A8

Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The lt4 is the best engine for a c7z06 for sure. It would also work well for the full size chevy /gmc pick up truck line as an option for snow birds wanting an alternative to diesel for towing their big campers. Slap a 2300 on that and chugging up big hills in high gear at 2300 rpm is a piece of cake.

a good portion of the c7z ownership are oldsters— I bet an entrepreneur could make some money making a trailer hitch for the c7z. Then the question - is an a8 or m7 better in the z06 for towing a 5th wheel. Well you have both! That entrepreneur can sell 2 trailer hitches to you! The c7z best corvette ever to tow your 5th wheel around a track .
Nope. N/a, turbo or diesel work much better for that. Why do you suppose you see supercharges in cars like the Z06, ZR1, Dodge Demon, Dodge Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, but very few in trucks?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

As an owner of a full size pickup with the LT1, which is the LT4 less the supercharger and some beefed up internals, this is a great motor just as it is. Same motor in my wife's Camaro vert. Love that motor there as well.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZGASSER

How many people on the forum or this post for instance went to buy their car with the deciding factor being which transmission would help with roll racing only? I was never asked what type of racing I would be involved with at any time when I bought my Z.
As far as roll racing goes, thinking you are “clear” on the highway because there is no traffic is stupid thinking. Here in AZ, there are all sorts of creatures dashing across the highway. I bet anyone hitting a coyote at 100+ is going to have a very bad day. I am no angel with doing stupid things in the past on the highway. One thing to ruin your day with an accident, it is another to end someone else’s.
Don't think that the track is safe from animals crossing either. I was doing a track day at Watkins Glen a few years back and a deer run out well in front of me. I had plenty of time to react but if he crossed a second later it would have been ugly. But hitting a deer at the track is way better than hitting a guard rail.....that blue paint tells the claims adjuster to just deny the claim and move along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll racing A8