Roll racing A8 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll racing A8

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 AM
  #1  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default Roll racing A8

What's the trick for getting the A8 into the power band for roll racing?
When I use the paddles to down-shift in auto mode, often the temporary "manual shift mode" doesn't time out soon enough for the transmission to make the next shift automatically, so it hangs on the rev limiter.

I'd rather have the trans in full auto mode after the start of a "race", because that seems to be faster.

Will it work to select "manual" on the console shifter, downshift with the paddles, start the race, and immediately move the console shifter back to Drive? Will that put it back into auto shift mode without any time delay?

Sorry for needing to ask, it's too cold here right now to experiment for myself.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 AM
  #2  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 999
Thanked 226 Times in 152 Posts
Default

M7 :-)
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saleen556 For This Useful Post:
5abivt (01-10-2018), thrilled (01-13-2018), timmyZ06 (01-10-2018), zhopper05 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 AM
  #3  
ArcticZ1
Junior Member
 
ArcticZ1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 26
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
What's the trick for getting the A8 into the power band for roll racing?
When I use the paddles to down-shift in auto mode, often the temporary "manual shift mode" doesn't time out soon enough for the transmission to make the next shift automatically, so it hangs on the rev limiter.

I'd rather have the trans in full auto mode after the start of a "race", because that seems to be faster.

Will it work to select "manual" on the console shifter, downshift with the paddles, start the race, and immediately move the console shifter back to Drive? Will that put it back into auto shift mode without any time delay?

Sorry for needing to ask, it's too cold here right now to experiment for myself.

This theory has worked for me for a while, as long as you time it correctly. The second I get on the gas (while in the desired gear), I immediately manually move the console shifter back to drive and let the car do itís thing. Works like a charm
ArcticZ1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArcticZ1 For This Useful Post:
tail_lights (01-10-2018), Warp Factor (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM
  #4  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,051
Thanked 152 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
M7 :-)
C6z m6
Mr. Gizmo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM
  #5  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
M7 :-)
Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
C6z m6
Love the manuals, but the auto is fun too. and the A8 Z06 is what I happen to have. Just looking for the best way to get around this one issue.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 AM
  #6  
C7X46
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 76
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

put your right foot to the floor, point the car straight.........

Add power/traction if you aren't winning.

Last edited by C7X46; 01-09-2018 at 07:39 AM.
C7X46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM
  #7  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C7X46 View Post
put your right foot to the floor, point the car straight.........

Add power/traction if you aren't winning.
I'd rather start with the rpms up, than mash the throttle, then fall behind while the transmission goes through a couple of downshifts and brings the rpms up.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:54 AM
  #8  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 999
Thanked 226 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
Love the manuals, but the auto is fun too. and the A8 Z06 is what I happen to have. Just looking for the best way to get around this one issue.
Very little do do it being an auto. You have to wait for the computer to react to your input. It seems many just drive in manual mode to avoid AFM anyway.
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 AM
  #9  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Very little do do it being an auto. You have to wait for the computer to react to your input. It seems many just drive in manual mode to avoid AFM anyway.
I don't mind driving in manual mode, but indications are that the fastest straight-line acceleration is achieved in auto mode.

That works fine from a standing start, where the computer will already have you in the lowest gear. Putting at 40 mph or so, the computer might have you in 5th, when 2nd or 3rd is where you need to be for maximum acceleration.

Think if the transmission left the line at the dragstrip in 3rd, and then shifted to first. It would cost some serious time.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 AM
  #10  
C7X46
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 76
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
I'd rather start with the rpms up, than mash the throttle, then fall behind while the transmission goes through a couple of downshifts and brings the rpms up.
If it's that close you probably need more power. In my experience I am faster letting the computer manage the shifts. Whatever you gain in the little delay get for downshifts could be made up by adding power, traction, reducing aero, etc. The computer will nail it 100% of the time, figure out what speed the car rolls on best from and suggest that as your starting speed. Your opponent will most likely not though that far ahead
C7X46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM
  #11  
SharkbyteLT4
CF Senior Member
 
SharkbyteLT4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: raleigh, nc
Posts: 5,479
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I think what you are trying to do is get the car in performance algorithm mode.

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
SharkbyteLT4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM
  #12  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4 View Post
I think what you are trying to do is get the car in performance algorithm mode.

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
So it will downshift to the lowest usable gear, and continue holding that gear at light throttle for about ten seconds if I need it to?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
  #13  
wagoetzmann
CF Senior Member
 
wagoetzmann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 265
Thanked 56 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Leave shifter in Auto, paddle down once to activate manual mode overide, paddle down again and hold for lowest possible gear selection.......make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.

Last edited by wagoetzmann; 01-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
wagoetzmann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM
  #14  
C7X46
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Posts: 76
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann View Post
Leave shifter in Auto, paddle down once to activate manual mode overide, paddle down again and hold for lowest possible gear selection.......make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.
THIS!^
C7X46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM
  #15  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4,122
Thanked 257 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann View Post
.....make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.
If I paddle-up and hold, it will just shift once, rather than immediately shifting again (doing a double-shift)?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Warp Factor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
  #16  
wagoetzmann
CF Senior Member
 
wagoetzmann's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 265
Thanked 56 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Paddle-up (shifts once) and hold (puts system back into auto and it will make the next shift for you). Once you see "D" re-appear in the display (rather than the gear number) you can let go...it take about 2 seconds.

Last edited by wagoetzmann; 01-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.
wagoetzmann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
  #17  
Wulverine
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,717
Thanked 67 Times in 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
So it will downshift to the lowest usable gear, and continue holding that gear at light throttle for about ten seconds if I need it to?
Yes.
Wulverine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM
  #18  
ajrothm
CF Senior Member
 
ajrothm's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: League City Tx
Posts: 8,923
Thanked 539 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1 View Post
This theory has worked for me for a while, as long as you time it correctly. The second I get on the gas (while in the desired gear), I immediately manually move the console shifter back to drive and let the car do itís thing. Works like a charm
This ^^^

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
C6z m6
Your illusions of grandeur with the C6Z in every one of your posts is entertaining... BTW, I beat a head/cam C6Z from a 45 roll in my C7Z A8 this weekend...I had a car gap on him by 150... By your calculations, he should have RAPED me....

Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
What's the trick for getting the A8 into the power band for roll racing?
When I use the paddles to down-shift in auto mode, often the temporary "manual shift mode" doesn't time out soon enough for the transmission to make the next shift automatically, so it hangs on the rev limiter.

I'd rather have the trans in full auto mode after the start of a "race", because that seems to be faster.

Will it work to select "manual" on the console shifter, downshift with the paddles, start the race, and immediately move the console shifter back to Drive? Will that put it back into auto shift mode without any time delay?

Sorry for needing to ask, it's too cold here right now to experiment for myself.

The A8 on the stock tune is very picky about starting and shifting points. The trick is to pull the shifter down into Manual, paddle to the gear you want to start in, as SOON as you nail it, shift it back to Drive and let it shift itself. If you are starting in 2nd, you can not start faster then 45 mph, even though you have plenty of RPMs, the computer/trans will not complete the 2-3 shift before its on the limiter.

The gear spacing for roll racing is awkward. 2nd gear starts are too high for anything over 45 mph.....And 3rd gear starts are WAY too slow for anything under a 75 roll.... You would think with 8 speeds, roll racing gear selection would be easier but..its not the case.


I raced a Paxton supercharged ACR Viper this weekend in Mexico, he wanted to start from 60 mph, which ended up being 55 mph....I was in 3rd and it just KILLED me on the start...he went through 2nd and some of 3rd before I even got through 3rd.... I still tied him at 143 mph though... He was quite surprised....(as was I...LOL)...Notice how long my car was in 3rd...starting at like 3400 rpms...


If we had gone from a 45 roll with me in 2nd, he would have been in trouble.
ajrothm is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajrothm For This Useful Post:
tail_lights (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM
  #19  
blackbirdws6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Piscataway New Jersey
Posts: 183
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Similar practice. I slide shifter into M, hold left paddle until it goes to lowest gear. Smash the loud pedal and slide shifter into D before the next shift and let the trans do it's thing.
blackbirdws6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackbirdws6 For This Useful Post:
tail_lights (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 PM
  #20  
jaden61
CF Senior Member
 
jaden61's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Posts: 2,073
Thanked 293 Times in 213 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4 View Post
I think what you are trying to do is get the car in performance algorithm mode.

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
Originally Posted by Warp Factor View Post
So it will downshift to the lowest usable gear, and continue holding that gear at light throttle for about ten seconds if I need it to?
this... And if the rpm's aren't high enough, give a second tromp, it may grab one lower gear.. Has happen to me, may happen for you!!

I love this mode.
jaden61 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll racing A8


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: