C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Roll racing A8

Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Default Roll racing A8

What's the trick for getting the A8 into the power band for roll racing?
When I use the paddles to down-shift in auto mode, often the temporary "manual shift mode" doesn't time out soon enough for the transmission to make the next shift automatically, so it hangs on the rev limiter.

I'd rather have the trans in full auto mode after the start of a "race", because that seems to be faster.

Will it work to select "manual" on the console shifter, downshift with the paddles, start the race, and immediately move the console shifter back to Drive? Will that put it back into auto shift mode without any time delay?

Sorry for needing to ask, it's too cold here right now to experiment for myself.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,192 Posts

M7 :-)
The following 5 users liked this post by saleen556:
5abivt (01-10-2018), Parcival (10-30-2018), thrilled (01-13-2018), timmyZ06 (01-10-2018), zhopper05 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 AM
ArcticZ1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
When I use the paddles to down-shift in auto mode, often the temporary "manual shift mode" doesn't time out soon enough for the transmission to make the next shift automatically, so it hangs on the rev limiter.

I'd rather have the trans in full auto mode after the start of a "race", because that seems to be faster.

Will it work to select "manual" on the console shifter, downshift with the paddles, start the race, and immediately move the console shifter back to Drive? Will that put it back into auto shift mode without any time delay?

Sorry for needing to ask, it's too cold here right now to experiment for myself.

This theory has worked for me for a while, as long as you time it correctly. The second I get on the gas (while in the desired gear), I immediately manually move the console shifter back to drive and let the car do it’s thing. Works like a charm
The following 2 users liked this post by ArcticZ1:
tail_lights (01-10-2018), Warp Factor (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
C6z m6
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
C6z m6
Love the manuals, but the auto is fun too. and the A8 Z06 is what I happen to have. Just looking for the best way to get around this one issue.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

put your right foot to the floor, point the car straight.........

Add power/traction if you aren't winning.

Last edited by C7X46; 01-09-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7X46
put your right foot to the floor, point the car straight.........

Add power/traction if you aren't winning.
I'd rather start with the rpms up, than mash the throttle, then fall behind while the transmission goes through a couple of downshifts and brings the rpms up.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:54 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Love the manuals, but the auto is fun too. and the A8 Z06 is what I happen to have. Just looking for the best way to get around this one issue.
Very little do do it being an auto. You have to wait for the computer to react to your input. It seems many just drive in manual mode to avoid AFM anyway.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Very little do do it being an auto. You have to wait for the computer to react to your input. It seems many just drive in manual mode to avoid AFM anyway.
I don't mind driving in manual mode, but indications are that the fastest straight-line acceleration is achieved in auto mode.

That works fine from a standing start, where the computer will already have you in the lowest gear. Putting at 40 mph or so, the computer might have you in 5th, when 2nd or 3rd is where you need to be for maximum acceleration.

Think if the transmission left the line at the dragstrip in 3rd, and then shifted to first. It would cost some serious time.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 AM
C7X46
Instructor

I'd rather start with the rpms up, than mash the throttle, then fall behind while the transmission goes through a couple of downshifts and brings the rpms up.
If it's that close you probably need more power. In my experience I am faster letting the computer manage the shifts. Whatever you gain in the little delay get for downshifts could be made up by adding power, traction, reducing aero, etc. The computer will nail it 100% of the time, figure out what speed the car rolls on best from and suggest that as your starting speed. Your opponent will most likely not though that far ahead
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I think what you are trying to do is get the car in performance algorithm mode.

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4

The key to this is you got to have the car in either sport or track mode. It won't work if the suspension mode is in Tour.

When you are around the speed you want to roll race at, you will almost go the floor and immediately left off. You will see a message come up saying "performance algorithm mode"
At that time, you will have about 10 seconds before it jumps out of that mode. When you are in that mode, you just hit it and the computer will do all the shifting from then on.
So it will downshift to the lowest usable gear, and continue holding that gear at light throttle for about ten seconds if I need it to?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Leave shifter in Auto, paddle down once to activate manual mode overide, paddle down again and hold for lowest possible gear selection.......make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.

Last edited by wagoetzmann; 01-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann
Leave shifter in Auto, paddle down once to activate manual mode overide, paddle down again and hold for lowest possible gear selection.......make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.
THIS!^
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann
.....make the hit and immediately paddle up and hold so it shifts and goes back into auto mode.
If I paddle-up and hold, it will just shift once, rather than immediately shifting again (doing a double-shift)?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Paddle-up (shifts once) and hold (puts system back into auto and it will make the next shift for you). Once you see "D" re-appear in the display (rather than the gear number) you can let go...it take about 2 seconds.

Last edited by wagoetzmann; 01-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

So it will downshift to the lowest usable gear, and continue holding that gear at light throttle for about ten seconds if I need it to?
Yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll racing A8

Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1
This theory has worked for me for a while, as long as you time it correctly. The second I get on the gas (while in the desired gear), I immediately manually move the console shifter back to drive and let the car do it’s thing. Works like a charm
This ^^^

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
C6z m6
Your illusions of grandeur with the C6Z in every one of your posts is entertaining... BTW, I beat a head/cam C6Z from a 45 roll in my C7Z A8 this weekend...I had a car gap on him by 150... By your calculations, he should have RAPED me....

The A8 on the stock tune is very picky about starting and shifting points. The trick is to pull the shifter down into Manual, paddle to the gear you want to start in, as SOON as you nail it, shift it back to Drive and let it shift itself. If you are starting in 2nd, you can not start faster then 45 mph, even though you have plenty of RPMs, the computer/trans will not complete the 2-3 shift before its on the limiter.

The gear spacing for roll racing is awkward. 2nd gear starts are too high for anything over 45 mph.....And 3rd gear starts are WAY too slow for anything under a 75 roll.... You would think with 8 speeds, roll racing gear selection would be easier but..its not the case.

I raced a Paxton supercharged ACR Viper this weekend in Mexico, he wanted to start from 60 mph, which ended up being 55 mph....I was in 3rd and it just KILLED me on the start...he went through 2nd and some of 3rd before I even got through 3rd.... I still tied him at 143 mph though... He was quite surprised....(as was I...LOL)...Notice how long my car was in 3rd...starting at like 3400 rpms...

If we had gone from a 45 roll with me in 2nd, he would have been in trouble.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Similar practice. I slide shifter into M, hold left paddle until it goes to lowest gear. Smash the loud pedal and slide shifter into D before the next shift and let the trans do it's thing.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4

this... And if the rpm's aren't high enough, give a second tromp, it may grab one lower gear.. Has happen to me, may happen for you!!

I love this mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll racing A8