C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 Z06 Purchase Advice / Tracking an A8 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 PM
miss peel
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2017 Z auto and running at NCM in 90 degree temp -- no problems with the car over heating. I do have the cats and oil lines wrapped. I run 18 front and 19 rear on Hoosier.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Buy what you truly want

To me this is a fun car purchase. Although it is a good value it is not cheap. I would not compromise on something that significant. I was looking for a "deal" on a leftover and my wife was questioning if a Corvette is what I really wanted.
I have driven one stripped stingray a while back (and was not impressed). Her logic and it is sound is that you should really make sure that is what you want. I have a business trip to Las Vegas in a couple weeks and I am trying to get a private lesson at Spring Hill.
It will be more of a lesson/test drive. My thought is that it will be worth the $ to make sure I know what I am getting into. If Chevy had a good dual clutch I would go that way but I am not in love with a torque converter automatic. I believe it is the same trans design as my CT6 Caddy and if that is true I am less in love with it.

Check Car Gurus.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

As others stated, if you want to track the car, buy the manual. There are plenty on A8s out there doing road courses just fine but many variables play into it. If you WANT a manual AND intend to track it don't leave a room for a "GOT YA" moment. I've love my A8 but I will also never push my car on a road course. On the streets and at the drag strip its excellent. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I also fell in love with an A8 that was on the lot. I had serious second thoughts on getting the A8 but I also do not like the M7 as I found myself hunting for the right gear. After the two day course at Spring Mountain, I am now confident that I made the right choice.They run the A8s all day long in the Nevada heat and they say they never have any problems. I certainly had no issue at all but it was pretty cool out this past weekend there.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
I also fell in love with an A8 that was on the lot. I had serious second thoughts on getting the A8 but I also do not like the M7 as I found myself hunting for the right gear. After the two day course at Spring Mountain, I am now confident that I made the right choice.They run the A8s all day long in the Nevada heat and they say they never have any problems. I certainly had no issue at all but it was pretty cool out this past weekend there.
They may run them ‘all day long’, but only for a couple of laps at a time before slowing way down to switch the lead/follow cars, and only ever at about 6/10-7/10 speed.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The problem with A8 is not high revs (even though it contributes), but rather the fact that the secondary radiator is dedicated to keep the transmission cool, which it does fine, but this means that it no longer helps with coolant/oil temps. Keeping at low revs will sure help, but it's more like an insult to the owners. I'd rather add a secondary coolant radiator like M7 cars come with, perhaps by the sides where ZR1/ZL1 has coolers. If you can't, and insist on track use, just sell the car since it will never work as intended at the track : ) Wrapping the cats, oil heat exchanger, or exhaust will not help, since there's no fast heat transfer to the engine from any one of those locations. It's just a feel good mod, sorry!
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 AM
MrClean21
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob531
Hello,i am Very new to all of this and trying to find the correct area to ask a question. Is the A8 problem for the Stingray only or the Z06 as well. Thanks
All A8 transmissions. It is inherent in the tranny regardless of the model, even non corvettes with the same transmission.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I know the cooling has been improved for the 2017 model - is this engine as bad at going into limp mode as it seems to read,
well, enough owners believe the 2017 fix, didn't, so they filed a 4th class action lawsuit:

More Z06 owners have brought a fourth class-action lawsuit against General Motors over this issue, complete with claims that a 2017 redesign didn’t fix the problem.
Fourth Lawsuit filed February 2018

The A8 has a separate lawsuit. Lawyers who work on percentage of judgement seldom file frivolous lawsuits.

GM hit with Class Action Lawsuit over A8

The last manual corvette i owned was the C6 Z06. I did not like the shifter insisting i go from 1st to 4th for gas savings. So i had to fight that first cause i wanted to go 1 to 3. I do not know if the C7 tremec m7 does the same thing. Also, the two Tremec shifters in my two C6 Z06's were as different as night and day. Both in cars purchased new, one Tremec was notchy and shifted like a truck transmission (where they pulled it from), the other was as much a joy to use (except for the 1-4 shift) as a Porsche 997 manual, which i had to compare with at the same time.

I prefer the A8 on the C7 because of my usable street range experience with the c6 Z06; the car ran at 1750 rpm at 77 mph in sixth gear, and idled at 750 rpm, so the total usable range for legal street driving was only 1000 rpm. 1st, 3rd, 5th was the usual shift for road use. 3rd was good from 35mph to 105mph. 6th only if i went interstate. Torque on the non-S/C C7 6.2 is only 10 lb/ft less than the 7 liter c6 Z06; so you can also drive it without having to play row your boat to obtain speed.

I am one of the users of the A8 that are using the RANGE Automatic Fuel Management disabler. I believe the engine change from V8 to V4 operating mode is at the root of the A8 problem. I also hope keeping the V8 in V8 mode all the time will minimize the failure of the AFM valve lifters.

This thread shows the running changes made on what is the last FE Z06, the 2019 models:

Changes for 2019

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-21-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Z06 Purchase Advice / Tracking an A8 Tranny