C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Corvette ZO6/ZO7 frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Victorzo6
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Corvette ZO6/ZO7 frame

Hello, i am currently in the process if rebuilding salvaged corvette zo6. the vehicle has a small crack in one of the welds of the frame all the way in the front near the radiators, and im going to end up having it re welded. The welder states that he needs to know what the frame is made of, however i am not sure if the frame is all aluminum or if its aluminum with something else. if anyone has any information that would be of great help
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Victorzo6
Hello, i am currently in the process if rebuilding salvaged corvette zo6. the vehicle has a small crack in one of the welds of the frame all the way in the front near the radiators, and im going to end up having it re welded. The welder states that he needs to know what the frame is made of, however i am not sure if the frame is all aluminum or if its aluminum with something else. if anyone has any information that would be of great help
Maybe these will help, Start at 6:00 for this one
Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

If it's repairable GM will have a procedure to repair it. That's where I'd look to figure it out.

This might help as well

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-welding.html

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 01-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Here's a pretty good picture of the fame where it transitions from the hydro formed sections to the cast pieces of the frame.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Resonator
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

The welder states that he needs to know what the frame is made of, however i am not sure if the frame is all aluminum or if its aluminum with something else. if anyone has any information that would be of great help
While highly pure aluminum does exist, any aluminum used in machinery and structures will be aluminum alloy, which contains other elements, added in specific quantities in order to result in a metal with the desired properties for the application. Your welder is correct that he needs to know what aluminum alloy he is welding in order to do it properly. (Some aluminum alloys are almost impossible to weld. However, as the Corvette frame comes welded together in the first place, clearly it is possible to weld.)

According to the thread linked to earlier in this thread, a pulsed MIG welder and 5554 welding wire are required according to the GM repair manual. But a welder is going to want more information than just that.

I would try and get access to the repair manual to get the most thorough information on the proper welding procedure. Structural welds need to be taken seriously. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette ZO6/ZO7 frame

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette ZO6/ZO7 frame