C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2018 Z06 500 mile tachometer change with flashing check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 PM
Tray333
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2018 Z06 500 mile tachometer change with flashing check engine light.

So last night I finally got past the 500 mile rpm restrictions and took a video of what happens to tachometer display as it passes 500. Man that was the hardest 500 miles I have ever done haveing to stay below 4500 in a hot rod that was asking for more. As I did this I did not notice the check engine light flashing until I reviewed the video, I must have came on exactly at the same time I was trying to drive and hold camera up to the dash. Anyways, I was concerned and took it to dealer to get the 500 mike oil change today and reported my findings to the service manager. He said that it was interesting and had never heard of the check engine flashing while the 500 mile tach change, and he said that it should not be flashing. He said he would have them pull the codes and look into it. This was the first time I had even seen this light since I drove it off the lot, and I am sure I would have noticed it. Anyways, after the oil change and the service manage gave me my z06 fob, he said that they found a misfire code on #3 and # 8 cylinder at 1900 rpm, but they had no explanation of why, and the light was not flashing now. So they said for me to monitor it and immediately bring it back to them if it happens again. I drove it for a few hours today with normal and hard throttle and it never came on nor did the Z06 hesitate at all. Man this is a fast car!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVIS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd check plugs and wires. Any chance the air filter got wet?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 AM
Tray333
Instructor

I checked the plug wires on the driver side and they seem to be secure and tight, but I could not get my big fat hands close enough to the passenger side, because of the battery. Man, there is a lot of stuff in this engine bay. Perhaps this would be a task for the service department. As far as the water in air filter, can not see how because I never had it in rain yet or even washed it. I did read that some had discovered that oil had found its way into air filter on from break in period, due to the Mobil one mixing with the silicon oil rings occurring during high rpms. Well, it is possible, for I was not perfect keeping it under 4500. However, I did not inspect the air filter yet, to see if that is culprit.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

FYI there is no battery under the hood.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Tray333
I checked the plug wires on the driver side and they seem to be secure and tight, but I could not get my big fat hands close enough to the passenger side, because of the battery. Man, there is a lot of stuff in this engine bay. Perhaps this would be a task for the service department. As far as the water in air filter, can not see how because I never had it in rain yet or even washed it. I did read that some had discovered that oil had found its way into air filter on from break in period, due to the Mobil one mixing with the silicon oil rings occurring during high rpms. Well, it is possible, for I was not perfect keeping it under 4500. However, I did not inspect the air filter yet, to see if that is culprit.
First read this I thought Yea, they moved the battery to easier location, but then googled '18 OM & no, it's still in hatch floor. Might have been fuse box. Lot's to learn about these highly technical cars. PS: DAMN, sammyv beat me to it!

Last edited by madrob2020; 01-14-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Tray333
Instructor

Well, I guess I get to wear the corvette dunce hat. Pretty foolish of me to assume that black box with the electrical symbol on the cover as the battery. Glad you corrected me before I really needed to know where the battery is located when it does not start one day.. I indeed have a lot to learn about this amazing car. Drove again today without seeing flashing engine light, perhaps it fixed itself.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Z06 500 mile tachometer change with flashing check engine light.

Quick Reply: 2018 Z06 500 mile tachometer change with flashing check engine light.