C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heading to Spring Mountain on Thursday

Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Heading to Spring Mountain on Thursday

Flying out to Vegas on Thursday for my 2 day Corvette owners school. Can't wait. I have raced jet Skis, Motocross, sport bikes, but never cars. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Have fun, it's a great course and you will learn a lot. The skid pad is exceptional fun!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by salcolkat
Flying out to Vegas on Thursday for my 2 day Corvette owners school. Can't wait. I have raced jet Skis, Motocross, sport bikes, but never cars. Any advice? Thanks.
Loved this class. Amazing experience you don’t want to end. Also amusing to be in a Z06 “trying” to keep up with an instructor in a Stingray who is operating two radios, turning, breaking and shifting all while they've got their eyes glued to the rear view mirror telling you that you were early on your turn in!

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 01-14-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ducst4 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep, been there and done that, and it was way too much fun!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Just regular tie on tennis shoe is good. Do not need driving shoes! Have fun, bring SD card.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM
NWOZO6
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Its a blast, learned lots. Enjoy!!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:53 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, have fun and as mentioned before, make sure you bring a formatted SD card so that you can save your laps - especially when you ride with the instructor!!

Bob
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by R6T7
Yes, have fun and as mentioned before, make sure you bring a formatted SD card so that you can save your laps - especially when you ride with the instructor!!

Bob
forgive my ignorance but what is a formatted SD card and where do i get one?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 PM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure if they are still doing this, but everyone in my class was given an SD card upon check-in over the 4th of July weekend 2017.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by salcolkat
forgive my ignorance but what is a formatted SD card and where do i get one?
Walgreens, but they also had them in the shop at Spring Mountain
Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 PM
VooDooRob
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Former WERA Expert roadracer here. This class was my first 4 wheel venture on a road course last year. Learn the braking points and how to get the car to balance and rotate before tons of throttle. I don't know how much or what level you raced bikes at but there is a big difference to me. Things happen much slower in the car and you need to be smoother vs a bike that you can man handle more. You can make abrupt changes on bikes, cars are not as forgiving. I was plowing the front end for the 1st few sessions because of braking too late and not getting the car set for the turns. It was a great time and by the 2nd day we were turning some really good times and off into a little group of 3 students for some "spirited" driving. One of the instructors Travis Wyman has his Pro bike license and is a great instructor there, seek him out for some pointers.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Stuman45
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

I also have done a ton of road racing on motorcycles. I worked for the California Superbike School as an instructor for 10 years and I'm currently the new racer school instructor for CVMA. I also raced motocross for a while.

As someone that has been an instructor at a performance riding school for a long time, I've seen tons of students go through the school. The most important thing is to Keep an open mind when going into the school. Listen to what the instructors are telling you and try to apply it as best you can on the track, even if it seems counter to what you think you already know

The lines for a car are pretty similar but the way you steer it and use the brakes and throttle are VERY different from what you do on a bike.

At first I wanted to steer the car very quickly and stomp on the gas as soon as I could. I had to slow down my hands and feet to get the most out of the car. Also I wanted to do all my steering at once and had to learn that it is OK to gradually add steering through the turn if that is what the corner wants.

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a blast an learn a ton. It really is a great school.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by Stuman45
^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

I also have done a ton of road racing on motorcycles. I worked for the California Superbike School as an instructor for 10 years and I'm currently the new racer school instructor for CVMA. I also raced motocross for a while.

As someone that has been an instructor at a performance riding school for a long time, I've seen tons of students go through the school. The most important thing is to Keep an open mind when going into the school. Listen to what the instructors are telling you and try to apply it as best you can on the track, even if it seems counter to what you think you already know

The lines for a car are pretty similar but the way you steer it and use the brakes and throttle are VERY different from what you do on a bike.

At first I wanted to steer the car very quickly and stomp on the gas as soon as I could. I had to slow down my hands and feet to get the most out of the car. Also I wanted to do all my steering at once and had to learn that it is OK to gradually add steering through the turn if that is what the corner wants.

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a blast an learn a ton. It really is a great school.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I leave day after tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Let us know what you think when you get back. I will be there in February.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM
zracer196
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Lots of motorcycle road racers here. I also used to race CCS, WERA and also a little AMA (did the Daytona 200 in 2002 when Nicky Hayden won it).

They commented that we motorcycle guys typically do pretty well there

I had a blast too. Good time for sure. Just went in early December.

They really didn’t want you revving the car to the moon, etc. Wanted you to be smooth, etc. Like we know...Slow down to go fast.

Here’s a couple of my laps.

i think I’m going back for next level. Was a lot of fun.

Have a blast!!!

Mark Zaremskas

Get notified of new replies

To Heading to Spring Mountain on Thursday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heading to Spring Mountain on Thursday