C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Difference between stillen AP kit and Essex AP kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:27 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts
Default Difference between stillen AP kit and Essex AP kit?

One says 370mm rotor, the other 372mm rotor.

Also about $1500 difference in price.
​​​​​​

https://www.stillen.com/catalog/product/view/id/87668/s/ap-racing-chevrolet-corvette-radi-cal-front-6-piston-14-5-j-hook-big-brake-kit-black-calipers-apr60200j/category/1194/

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-designed-ap-racing-radi-cal-competition-brake-kit-front-cp9668372mm-c7-corvette
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Appears to use two different calipers

Essex uses the 9668
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...thick_pad.aspx

That Stillen kit uses the 9560 possibly, or similar.
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...ston_area.aspx

If that is the 9560 caliper, it does not use anti-knockback springs which would immediately eliminate it from consideration if I were the buyer. I can only assume you are wanting to change/upgrade for road course work and not just to look cool, otherwise the 9560 caliper would be fine, but then again so too would the OEM brakes.

Last edited by fleming23; 01-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There isn't a lot of information available on the Stillen caliper. From the write ups the Stillen version has painted calipers while the Essex version has anodized calipers. It is a Radical Caliper but it looks different than the Radical Caliper offered by Essex.

What I mean by it looks different is when you look at the top view the Stillen version isn't opened up as much as the Essex version. The Essex kit uses the AP Pro 5000 Series of Radi Cal calipers. https://www.apracing.com/products/ra...0_r_range.aspx

The AP CP9668 caliper used in the Essex kit has a lot more air space around the rear of the caliper cylinders for improved cooling of the brake fluid. The AP CP9668 Caliper is designed to be a racing caliper. It also handles brake pads that are 25 mm thick which is a huge boon from a pad life standpoint. Here is the description on the AP Site:

CP9668 (Essex 372 rotor 25 mm thick pad caliper)
Typical Applications:
- Budget, general competition use.
- Single make race series.

Features:
- Benefits from a radical asymmetric design concept.
- Superior dynamic performance.
- Increased stiffness.
- Forged, two piece aluminium alloy body.
- Radial mount, 180.0mm x 42.0mm centres.
- Suits Ø390.0mm Max or 362.0mm Min x 36.0mm Max / 32.0mm Min thick disc.
- Stainless Steel Pistons.
- High temperature seals.
- 7lb Anti-knockback springs fitted.
- Stainless Steel wear plates.
Part Numbers:
- RH = CP9668-2S7L.
- LH = CP9668-3S7L.

The Essex 372 rotor version will fit inside of 18 inch wheels (at least mine do) so I don't think you need to worry about a 1mm radius difference.

The Stillen web page doesn't indicate which Radical Caliper they offer but I notice the Stillen web page indicates the caliper comes with dust boots and that is a sure indicator the caliper is intended for street applications rather than race applications. The AP CP9668 caliper included in the Essex kit does not have dust boots. It does have antiknockback springs behind the pistons to keep the pads from being knocked back by hub or rotor run out which the Stillen web page doesn't mention one way or the other. Another indicator the Stillen kits are street based is the offering of drilled rotors. Those are for bling only and not available with the Essex kits.

If you are looking to replace a Z06 iron brake setup I don't see any advantage in choosing the Stillen kit. If you are looking to replacing a Z06 ceramic brake setup the Stillen kit can probably provide lower cost consumables. However, it may not hold up as well as the Essex kit which is designed for the track.

The other thing that might be different is the Essex Kits includes rotor hats designed by Essex that have their name on them. The kit is specifically engineered for C7 Race Applications vs street applications.

The Essex kit costs more since they have put more into the engineering of the kit toward race applications, provide some of their own parts and probably have chosen a more expensive AP Caliper than the Stillen Kit uses.

Give Jeff Ritter at Essex a call and ask him to tell you the differences. I know that is not usually a good idea to ask the builder of a product why their product is best but I think he would provide an honest analysis of the differences between the two products.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-29-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (03-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:23 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Isn’t Essex the official importer for AP Racing products in the USA?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There isn't a lot of information available on the Stillen caliper. From the write ups the Stillen version has painted calipers while the Essex version has anodized calipers. It is a Radical Caliper but it looks different than the Radical Caliper offered by Essex.

What I mean by it looks different is when you look at the top view the Stillen version isn't opened up as much as the Essex version. The Essex kit uses the AP Pro 5000 Series of Radi Cal calipers. https://www.apracing.com/products/ra...0_r_range.aspx

The AP CP9668 caliper used in the Essex kit has a lot more air space around the rear of the caliper cylinders for improved cooling of the brake fluid. The AP CP9668 Caliper is designed to be a racing caliper. It also handles brake pads that are 25 mm thick which is a huge boon from a pad life standpoint. Here is the description on the AP Site:

CP9668 (Essex 372 rotor 25 mm thick pad caliper)
Typical Applications:
- Budget, general competition use.
- Single make race series.

Features:
- Benefits from a radical asymmetric design concept.
- Superior dynamic performance.
- Increased stiffness.
- Forged, two piece aluminium alloy body.
- Radial mount, 180.0mm x 42.0mm centres.
- Suits Ø390.0mm Max or 362.0mm Min x 36.0mm Max / 32.0mm Min thick disc.
- Stainless Steel Pistons.
- High temperature seals.
- 7lb Anti-knockback springs fitted.
- Stainless Steel wear plates.
Part Numbers:
- RH = CP9668-2S7L.
- LH = CP9668-3S7L.

The Essex 372 rotor version will fit inside of 18 inch wheels (at least mine do) so I don't think you need to worry about a 1mm radius difference.

The Stillen web page doesn't indicate which Radical Caliper they offer but I notice the Stillen web page indicates the caliper comes with dust boots and that is a sure indicator the caliper is intended for street applications rather than race applications. The AP CP9668 caliper included in the Essex kit does not have dust boots. It does have antiknockback springs behind the pistons to keep the pads from being knocked back by hub or rotor run out which the Stillen web page doesn't mention one way or the other. Another indicator the Stillen kits are street based is the offering of drilled rotors. Those are for bling only and not available with the Essex kits.

If you are looking to replace a Z06 iron brake setup I don't see any advantage in choosing the Stillen kit. If you are looking to replacing a Z06 ceramic brake setup the Stillen kit can probably provide lower cost consumables. However, it may not hold up as well as the Essex kit which is designed for the track.

The other thing that might be different is the Essex Kits includes rotor hats designed by Essex that have their name on them. The kit is specifically engineered for C7 Race Applications vs street applications.

The Essex kit costs more since they have put more into the engineering of the kit toward race applications, provide some of their own parts and probably have chosen a more expensive AP Caliper than the Stillen Kit uses.

Give Jeff Ritter at Essex a call and ask him to tell you the differences. I know that is not usually a good idea to ask the builder of a product why their product is best but I think he would provide an honest analysis of the differences between the two products.

Bill
Thanks Bill, so its basically a street vs race caliper and the much thicker brake pads reduce down time and consumables. Makes sense.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Stillen is the street AP
Essex is the track / race AP

Not sure why AP have two different distributors for street and race products.

I got fooled while back into buying the Stillen set for my previous Z51 (same part for Z06) and had only one street pad choice DS2500 at that time. Stillen had the DS3000 on backorder for months and that was their only performance pad. I thought I had a track setup and didn't understand that Stillen and Essex are two different worlds although both have AP logo. I wouldn't waste a penny on Stillen. Either stick with stock setup or get true performance set from Essex. Essex usually have many different pad options.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5thGear:
JRitt@essex (03-30-2018), thebishman (01-30-2018), TRAKOUT (08-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between stillen AP kit and Essex AP kit?

Quick Reply: Difference between stillen AP kit and Essex AP kit?