C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Do you regret not having the Z07 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I bought the z06 and added the dsc module, tractive shocks, and full aero. Now I just have to learn to drive it. Lol. I did drive a z07 and the ride is much better on the z06 in my opinion.
What was the total that the DSC and tractive shocks set you back in part costs? Also how does it now compare to the Z07? Both on and off the track?

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hey, got your PM and figured I'd just answer here. I've owned and tracked heavily both a 2015 without Z07 and a 2017 with it. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either.

First I'll say that the carbon ceramics are great on the street and are the only solution that really can go from street to track and back without changing pads. However, they are not up to heavy track use and the pad and rotor replacement is expensive. I pulled them from my Z07 with 33 miles on the car and put the AP Racing kit on. They'll go back on the car when I trade it for the ZR1 in a few months. If you're not really hard on brakes on track and don't track a lot then you'll probably be fine with the CCBs but I wouldn't want a Z07 just because of that, in fact you're better off without on a pure track car.

Now as far as on track performance goes, you can go very fast in either it was only last November that I finally broke my best time with my Z06 in my Z07. You really should buy the DSC controller if you're going to track an FE6 (Z06) car as it helps a lot with body roll and brake dive. Getting the Tractive Shocks makes it even better and you don't give up anything in ride quality. If you want to see what an FE6 car can do on track check out my channel on youtube. Anything in the gray car was the FE6 2015 and the red car is the Z07 (FE7) 2017. Now that I've owned and tracked both I will say that there is an edge to the FE7 in that it better supports the car in high G loads but you really have to know how to push the car to get to where it makes a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Gegf4EtFt-pauJ

As far as ride is concerned I initially bought an FE6 car because all the feedback I heard from the GM folks that had test cars was that the FE7 really beat you up. Someone above already quoted the details on the suspension differences and there's no getting around the fact that the FE7 springs are much stiffer. Stock for stock the FE7 is noticeable stiffer but to my surprise with the DSC controller I find the ride to be just fine and based on my recollection it isn't much worse than the FE6 with DSC. I am also very ride sensitive unlike some folks on this forum that like to brag about how they like a car to ride like Conestoga wagon.

In the end, if you like the car and it's a good deal buy it. Take $1299 of the money you saved and send it to DSC Sport for the controller before you take it to the track.

Thank you that was hugely helpful and very very informing. I will definitely be considering the car and personally I love CCB's and I am not too terribly hard on brakes unless its in a race car. This car would be more for fun, and not necessarily for pushing the limits of how fast I can be in a lap - that's for race cars and track dedicated cars! haha

Thank you again!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
some can hardly tell an ******* from a vagina, so i suspect there would be no difference here. it's a sports car with 650hp, my non z07 suspension is fine.

it's like the competition package in BMW M cars, simply an overrated option that people are willing to pay for, because....
Although I ordered the 2019 Z06/Z07 your comment is funny as **** and so true
The following users liked this post:
trevor90 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:26 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hey, got your PM and figured I'd just answer here. I've owned and tracked heavily both a 2015 without Z07 and a 2017 with it. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either.

First I'll say that the carbon ceramics are great on the street and are the only solution that really can go from street to track and back without changing pads. However, they are not up to heavy track use and the pad and rotor replacement is expensive. I pulled them from my Z07 with 33 miles on the car and put the AP Racing kit on. They'll go back on the car when I trade it for the ZR1 in a few months. If you're not really hard on brakes on track and don't track a lot then you'll probably be fine with the CCBs but I wouldn't want a Z07 just because of that, in fact you're better off without on a pure track car.

Now as far as on track performance goes, you can go very fast in either it was only last November that I finally broke my best time with my Z06 in my Z07. You really should buy the DSC controller if you're going to track an FE6 (Z06) car as it helps a lot with body roll and brake dive. Getting the Tractive Shocks makes it even better and you don't give up anything in ride quality. If you want to see what an FE6 car can do on track check out my channel on youtube. Anything in the gray car was the FE6 2015 and the red car is the Z07 (FE7) 2017. Now that I've owned and tracked both I will say that there is an edge to the FE7 in that it better supports the car in high G loads but you really have to know how to push the car to get to where it makes a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Gegf4EtFt-pauJ

As far as ride is concerned I initially bought an FE6 car because all the feedback I heard from the GM folks that had test cars was that the FE7 really beat you up. Someone above already quoted the details on the suspension differences and there's no getting around the fact that the FE7 springs are much stiffer. Stock for stock the FE7 is noticeable stiffer but to my surprise with the DSC controller I find the ride to be just fine and based on my recollection it isn't much worse than the FE6 with DSC. I am also very ride sensitive unlike some folks on this forum that like to brag about how they like a car to ride like Conestoga wagon.

In the end, if you like the car and it's a good deal buy it. Take $1299 of the money you saved and send it to DSC Sport for the controller before you take it to the track.

After watching your video, I am happy i decided to get the Z07 package. Nice driving and thsnks for the sharing!
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
What was the total that the DSC and tractive shocks set you back in part costs? Also how does it now compare to the Z07? Both on and off the track?

Thanks for the input!
The controller was 1,290.00 and the shocks were 5,400.00. Honestly I've only ridden in a z07 on the street. It's a lot of difference ride quality wise. Poorsha could probably give you a lot better idea as far as a bone stock z07 vs a z06 with the controller and shocks.
I can tell you that it's a big improvement over the car without them. I don't have to worry about tearing up the liner in the wheel well when braking and it hooks up a lot better. Very little wheel spin with the DSC.
If I were you I'd try the controller first That will probably do all you want it to do. If that's not enough go with the shocks as well.
I drive more on the street than I do on the track, or at least I have so far, and for me it's been worth it. If I sell the car I'd put the stock parts back on and sell the DSC stuff separately. Looking at it that way it's not as expensive as it sounds.

Quick Reply: Do you regret not having the Z07 suspension?