C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

FYI - Lost a fellow racer yesterday..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I've grabbed the wheel lots of times and frankly sometimes it's the only way to get a student to understand what you are asking them to do. There just may not be a good visual indicator of when to turn or perhaps they are struggling with how much or how fast to turn the wheel.

Usually it goes like this - "this next corner I'm going to help you a bit on the wheel, don't let go of the wheel". For a lot of students this really helps and I've never had a student complain when it is approached in this manner.
Abruptly effectively taking control of the car in a moment which is what was implied is very different than what you are explaining.

Last edited by 93Polo; 02-15-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNeed
Due to be released on Monday, still in allot of pain, but alive.
Thanks for the update. As tragic as this event was, it could have been worse.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Rearranging liability responsibilities after the fact is not an effective answer. The tragedy still happens, and anyone expecting consistent justice from the courts is not familiar enough with the system. There should never be a tree or berm in a runoff area. Frankly, that just shows contempt for participant safety. Too bad the Society of Automotive Engineers can't develop ASE standards. Even absent that, a hay bale is only $3. Progressively positioning hay bales and/or a catch fence and the instructor could have walked away. Hopefully these shattered lives count for something in this arena.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My sympathy to the family of the driver.

Glad to hear that the instructor is out of the hospital. I wonder how his medical bill are being handled......

Jim
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Very very sad. Unfortunately we lost 2 racers in one weekend a few years ago at Hallett. One on track with a heart attack/then crash and another in the paddock. The track incident was a very close friend and I'm still not completely over it...never will be.

My condolences to the family and best wishes to the brave instructor who it sounds like may have saved the lives of others.

Steve
Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
My sympathy to the family of the driver.

Glad to hear that the instructor is out of the hospital. I wonder how his medical bill are being handled......

Jim
The DE was a Saturday/Sunday event. After the incident, Sunday was cancelled for obvious reasons. We got an email a couple days later offering a 147 dollar refund for the cancelled day, or send it to a gofundme account for the instructor. I believe everybody is sending the money to the instructor and family.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (02-24-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:24 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Horrible to hear. Always a risk but never fun when things like this happen.

Found an article about the crash.

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...rack-day-crash

RIP and hope the instructor pulls through.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:12 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Wondering if in addition to the tech sheets we need for our cars, we need tech sheets for our health. I’ve seen some pretty old guys with some outrageously fast cars. Even a minor health issue could be very dangerous. I’m 60 and I can foresee the day when my eyes and reactions will get to the point I shouldn’t be on track. You need a medical certificate to fly a plane. If medical issues are really causing fatal accidents, maybe it’s worth considering.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 AM
apex26
Racer

Default be careful

Originally Posted by maj75
Wondering if in addition to the tech sheets we need for our cars, we need tech sheets for our health. I’ve seen some pretty old guys with some outrageously fast cars. Even a minor health issue could be very dangerous. I’m 60 and I can foresee the day when my eyes and reactions will get to the point I shouldn’t be on track. You need a medical certificate to fly a plane. If medical issues are really causing fatal accidents, maybe it’s worth considering.
Be careful what you wish for. The theory may be fine, but strangers behind a desk making random decisions is scary. My observation is that guys who look in terrible shape, and you just know they are on multiple meds, are not wearing the medical wristband that NASA requires they wear. Age really isn't on point. Carroll Shelby was swallowing heart pills in the cockpit as a young man and Paul Newman was winning fiercely competitive races at about age 80. I'm 65, but my MD says my reflexes are still "hyper" fast, and I routinely run 10 miles or more. Groups can tighten up some slack and mitigate these risks without forcing physical exams, etc.
Bink (02-26-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

As a physician, i have to say the idea of medical clearance for track events is a bit ridiculous. Good luck telling someone that they can't participate because they had an MI a few years ago and haven't seen their cardiologist lately. An HPDE can induce some physical exertion but i doubt a heart rate goes above 105-110bpm on track for any of the drivers. I know mine doesn't based on Apple Watch health data. We don't get clearances for people to run a 5k, swim in a community pool, or get a membership to LA Fitness. All of those can be more strenuous. The instructor was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd venture to guess inexperienced and over zealous students have killed more bystanders at track events than medical conditions.

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
Even with planes you can get a basic med cert if you have a drivers license and you can get your doctor to sign off. This is kind of like flying in that you have to decide if you're healthy enough to fly before each flight.
It's going to be tough with something like this because you could be fine on Friday and have a mi on Saturday.
I had a girlfriend years ago that lost her dad during a stress test. The doc's thought he was fine and they were giving him a physical.
Stuff happens...
Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

WTH kind of race track has a berm in a run-off area?? Let alone one substantial enough to launch a vehicle. Unbelievable
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM
apex26
Racer

Originally Posted by Olden Slowe
WTH kind of race track has a berm in a run-off area?? Let alone one substantial enough to launch a vehicle. Unbelievable
BINGO! Senna would be alive today if tracks listened to safety concerns. And, the good MD hits the nail on the head--your chances of getting hurt from a medical event are dwarfed by other risks, for instance the kid driving a crap box boosted to the moon (always with stock brakes), and desperate to create a youtube passing any corvette.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
Be careful what you wish for. The theory may be fine, but strangers behind a desk making random decisions is scary. My observation is that guys who look in terrible shape, and you just know they are on multiple meds, are not wearing the medical wristband that NASA requires they wear. Age really isn't on point. Carroll Shelby was swallowing heart pills in the cockpit as a young man and Paul Newman was winning fiercely competitive races at about age 80. I'm 65, but my MD says my reflexes are still "hyper" fast, and I routinely run 10 miles or more. Groups can tighten up some slack and mitigate these risks without forcing physical exams, etc.
I haven’t run into any Carrol Shelby or Paul Newmans at the HPDEs I attend. Pointing out the exceptions is no reason to reject the idea. Great, YOU go to your doctor and YOU know you have hyper fast reflexes. Awesome! But I’m willing to bet there are plenty of guys who haven’t been to an eye doctor or regular doctor for years. Given the lethal speeds of the cars that show up in the green group, I wouldn’t be an instructor. Not for a lifetime of free track days. I really see a huge change in the last five years in the types of cars that beginners are showing up at the track with. Just seems a little funny that more attention is payed to the condition of the car than the condition of the “nut” behind the wheel.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A couple of comments about things mentioned in this thread. First, instructor taking the wheel. When I took my instructor training back in 2007 this was on the almost Verbotten List. The reason, you could have two people fighting for control of the wheel and neither having any control. It wasn't ruled out in all conditions but communication has to be clear between both parties with the instructor saying what they are going to do and the student agreeing they can do it. Even then it was suggested to do so with some trepidation. In the 11 years since I took instructor training I have only taken the wheel twice to do as Poor Sha indicated teach somebody the line and that was at a much slower pace than running at .7. Other than that I have talked to students about the line and then taken them for a ride in my car at a slower pace to talk to them while showing them the line and telling them why I am doing something. This always seems to work better with women than men.

Medical conditions do happen on track. I know there was a PCA event about 15 years ago at the Glen where a student had some sort of medical condition going down hill into T6, hit the outside tire wall and rebounded into the inside guardrail. If the driver wasn't dead before impact he would have been killed on impact due to an improperly installed harness system that let the shoulder harnesses come off his body after the first hit. Luckily, he was running solo so nobody else was injured.

Mechanical failures are more likely than medical conditions no matter how well cars may or may not be prepped. Brake lines suddenly pull loose under heavy braking taking you from max braking to none. Gets exciting when the student yells into the microphone "NO BRAKES" at 135 mph 350 ft from a 90 degree turn.

The most likely thing to happen is the student screws up. As instructors we can coach somebody to get up to some pretty fast speeds especially when they realize the car can corner two or three times faster than they thought it could. However, we can't teach them the proper car control for when something happens to change the situation. That takes experience and the only way to get that is through lots of seat time. Sometimes the instructor can prevent this because they see the student setting up a potential failure point. However, students also make sudden decisions in the middle of events when the instructor is thinking "OK, they have this down and are doing fine." That is when the student suddenly takes their foot off the brake when they shouldn't or suddenly turns the steering wheel when they shouldn't or worse suddenly chickens out in the middle of a turn and lifts off throttle when they shouldn't. Those are the fun ones when you take a wild ride through the grass and hopefully don't hit anything. You are always just one brain fart away from disaster.

Bill
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is some info on Patrick the instructor injured in the accident.

https://www.gofundme.com/patrickwilsonsrecoveryfund
The following 4 users liked this post by ncstingray:
badhabit_wb (02-19-2018), cvp33 (02-20-2018), PeteC7 (02-20-2018), sunsalem (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I would bet less than 1% of any off road incidents at RRR occur in turn 1, the berm is 100 yards off the track, if you go off track there, you gently turn right and do the rodeo thing parallel to turn 2 or past if needed. ABS or not no one is stopping a 150 mph car in GA sand. If the guy was passed out and I was in the instructor seat at 150 mph (which is common there), I too would try to turn the car right. People being instructed are driving, but the instructor is in charge, no time for egos and there is no time for discussions about braking or turn in points. Pull that crap with me and we are going to the pit lane and getting it sorted out, if that doesn't work, I find the chief instructor, tell him/her what I experienced and swap students. I've instructed for 20 years in more clubs I can list, some clubs are real loose and others pretty strict. PCA IMO is more on the strict side and demand in class instruction etc where others just turn people loose and encourage instructors to sign people off as solo ASAP. I've had students that if I never said brake, they wouldn't, I've had others so slow my wife would wax them leaving a Target parking lot. Some students are passive (don't want to be there, spouse girl/boy friend) and others that want to see their fast mph for the weekend. I stopped instructing for a few years after a student I had that had been told to never shift in the middle of turn 9 at RRR, but the last lap of the last day, he decides to shift and before my lips could move, he went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th and we wrote off a new boxster on the pit straight. I had a bad concussion and tore some bone off my neck/spine. I feel terrible for everyone involved in this. It impacts your families life/outlook, track workers, event organizers, any one in attendance. When I started HPDE 200HP was a typical starter car, miatas, civic si, now anyone can show up with 800HP and no experience. I will only instruct those that are already solo, proven and are looking to shave time off laps. My wife absolutely hates me instructing, not worth getting a pass on registration and a free lunch/tee shirt. I enjoy doing the classroom training and running an event. HPDE is a terrible gateway drug to racing and that is where it gets crazy. To get a race license you do have to get a DR to sign off on a physical, HPDE nada, Race cars are inspected, maintained between events, HPDE you hope they torqued the wheels.
TopSpeedNeed (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by apex26
Very, very sad. And, scary for a father thinking of his son instructing. A primary takeaway is that there are numerous fairly inexpensive ways to slow a car safely that flies off the track, but they are simply a low priority. Likely track owners will discover that sand traps, hay bales and catch fences are cheaper than wrongful death lawsuits. After all, cars go off! They say all great racetracks have consequences, but dying shouldn't be one of them.
This is very sad and hopefully rare as well. I have seen too many over the years.

you are right there are many ways to control a run away car but one that is full throttle with no attempt to use the brakes is rare.

Having said that, In a Trans Am race at Long Beach St. course on the back straight, I hit the tire wall head on with no brakes at about 125 miles an hour. The tire wall was five rows deep and with that many tires to cushion the the impact - the car ended up with only body damage but no frame damage and I was the driver and walked away.

I have 2 reasons for concern. I am building a new 3.2 mile track on land behind our new LG Motorsports facility just north of Dallas. I have raced long enough to see no less than 4 racers lose their life at races I was at. It is not a good feeling.
We all think we are bullet proof.

I don’t like gravel traps and sand traps because I have seen too many cars flip when they were otherwise just skid into a tire wall.

I plan on thick tire walls where a car could lose its brakes at high speed.

A dirt burm is not good because They are built wider at the bottom and even with tires in front of them A high speed crash can still end up with the car catapulted and act as a launching ramp.

I plan on limiting the top speed of a “supercar” to 150 with run off areas banked up to aid slowing the car in a skid-spin.

We are lucky the instructor will recover in time.

God Speed to the driver

Lou Gigliotti

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 02-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.
RobWilson (02-24-2018)

Quick Reply: FYI - Lost a fellow racer yesterday..