C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Window Tinting above limit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMZ07
Today's tints are so much better than the tint of 30 years ago. I agree with you. The stuff from back then you could not see out of. The new tint reflects light very well without giving up the ability to see out. Ceramic tint is also an advantage. My front glass is tinted legally but is great on sunny days and I see out at night with no problem. My front sides are 2 shades darker than legal and the back glass is very dark. The combination gives the side window a darker appearance than what they really are. I would not have something I can't see out of.
I understand that, but VLT is still VLT. If it's allowing 5% of light to pass, it's still too dark for most situations except bright daylight.

My wife's SUV is 5% on the sides and back, and 35% ceramic film (which looks dark) but is legal. And will tint the windshield, maybe. It's legal for me, as I have a waiver.

Anyways, it's the ones who have 5% on side front roll-downs and 35% on the windshield I would worry about. And if ever hit by a car which is deeply tinted, believe me, that's something to be considered.

Last edited by *89x2*; 02-25-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

It will be a cold day in hell when someone dictates to me what I can put on my car windows.
I have one year of college philosophy taken 20 years ago, and here's what I remember:

- Assuming Tinting like that is idiotic
- It's your right to be an idiot, right up until:
...it negatively affects other people's rights to life, liberty, or property

If you were driving that way alone, I'd cheer you on. But you're not.

Since you might crash into me or my loved ones, yes, I will not only tell you what you can put on your car, I will also pay millions in taxes that, in part, fund a local constabulary that drive around making sure you're in compliance.

This used to be a nation of laws. Before my time, I guess.

Last edited by davepl; 02-25-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 PM
TOMZ07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever man

Last edited by TOMZ07; 02-25-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 PM
TOMZ07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad that you got to utilize your college philosophy

Last edited by TOMZ07; 02-25-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think not! I think ghetto when I see it on any car. It is bad choice around here. You would have a fix it ticket at best!
Wow, trigger much? I have never heard of tint as being called ghetto. Chrome wheels, yeah, but tint? I think you're still remembering pre-2000 window tint that turns purple. We're talking about high-end ceramic window film. Not some crap some teenager picks up at the local car parts store. These films have been shown to decrease UV (the cancer stuff) and IR (the heat). Even on the windshield, a good 80 or 90 film is going to help in keeping that interior cool and protected. You might not need it in Oregon, but in both the southeast, south and southwest, those cars need some interior protection.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Glad that you got to utilize your college philosophy
And you your third grade composition. It's been a big day for both of us, now let's get some rest.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Firemedic301
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

35% all the way around. Nothing on the front windshield.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I have one year of college philosophy taken 20 years ago, and here's what I remember:

- Assuming Tinting like that is idiotic
- It's your right to be an idiot, right up until:
...it negatively affects other people's rights to life, liberty, or property

If you were driving that way alone, I'd cheer you on. But you're not.

Since you might crash into me or my loved ones, yes, I will not only tell you what you can put on your car, I will also pay millions in taxes that, in part, fund a local constabulary that drive around making sure you're in compliance.

This used to be a nation of laws. Before my time, I guess.
Ya tinted windows cause sooo many crashes.. I could spend days feeding you items that could cause you to crash or be crashed into.. Should we start with the A's.. Asteroids, Aardvarks, Apples, Aliens, Anacondas, alligators, Annoying people, Aunt June, Airplanes, Artificial sweeteners..... Well you get the point....

But what about your windows reflecting sunlight and blinding me.. Should I not have the right to protect my life from your insensitive disregard of driving at angles that are dangerous to every one????

Quick Reply: Window Tinting above limit question