C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Anthony modules arrived today. I'll install them tomorrow and post results. But comparing the HMI that infotainment.com supplied to Anthony's showed a different part number, both from the same model year - 2015. But the radio model from infotainment.com was out of a 2018 while the one Anthony supplied was out of a 2014. Just interesting. Wish I new more about this stuff. Jeff V. is the forum expert.

Modules from infotainment.com - no PDR

Anthony's Modules

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-01-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

right... mine was too. The newer radio is what caused me to lose my PDR, and rear back-up gridlines. Interested to see how yours works out. Good Luck.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Well I have to give Anthony tremendous credit! He sure knows his stuff. I just installed the radio and HMI that he provided and replaced the ones from infotainment.com. EVERYTHING works!
  • PDR - fully functional!!!
  • Android Auto
  • Pandora
  • XM
  • Rear view camera guidelines & menu
  • Mode Selector Works (Touring, Sport, Track, etc)
  • Traffic
  • Nav
  • HD FM Radio
  • Engine Sound Management menu and options present
I don't know how he did it but he is good!

A couple of notes that might be helpful. If you previously purchased the AA/Carplay from another vendor, he will give you a good credit for your old modules. If you ask him, he will put the latest maps on the Nav for a VERY reasonable cost (less the usual map update from GM). He says you can update Nav maps later the usual way, where as with infotainment.com they told me that I needed to send the HMI back to them to have the map loaded.

I also noted that the PDR seems to record voice like it originally did. GM disabled that feature with a software update.

One other item I noticed. Now I cannot tell if this is because I just a few days ago got the Android PIE update on my cell phone or if this was caused by the new HMI/Radio modules. When I start the car with the phone plugged in, I get the Nanny warning that AA can be a distraction and you are going to die and don't sue GM or Google. It used to be that this Nanny warning would dismiss itself after a few seconds. Now it seems to stay until I actually press the Dismiss button.

The voice recognition on Anthony's unit is excellent, just like it was on the infotainment.com unit. But the original stock one that came with the car could not understand ANYTHING I ever said - EVER!!! Anthony's unit seems to be as responsive as the infotainment.com unit - no lag like with the original. Boot time seems to be as good as the infotainment.com unit, which was much quicker than the original unit.

I noticed that the ability to connect the car to a wifi hotspot like I had with the infotainment.com unit is gone. But it was of no use since the GM App Store did not work with the infotainment.com unit and there was no Pandora. Anthony, just like Infotainment.com said that GM/Onstar does not have a record of any 2014/15 cars with this feature so they block it and there is no way they are going to change that for any customer. So nothing lost!

So I would say if you have been holding off on this upgrade, spend the $ and TEXT Anthony 919-995-9523 and make your car act like the newer vettes without having to buy an new vette just to get a software update!

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-03-2019 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flame Red:
2Intense (02-02-2019), Freerider969 (09-08-2021)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Great update.

You have to feel whole again...lol. It was such a relief to deal with somone who was actually doing the programming themselves and a huge relief to have all of my features ap and running again.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:45 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Just ordered mine from Anthony!

Any advice or tips on the install? I'm basically replacing one module on the drivers side and one on the passenger, correct?

Appreciate everyone on this thread going the extra mile to get this done and done right!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Just ordered mine from Anthony!

Any advice or tips on the install? I'm basically replacing one module on the drivers side and one on the passenger, correct?

Appreciate everyone on this thread going the extra mile to get this done and done right!
There are videos out there on how to replace the HMI on the driver side however there are not any good ones on how to replace the radio brain or ACM on the passenger side. I tried to provide a pretty good idea if you pick up this video at the 7:37 mark:

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-02-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
I'm basically replacing one module on the drivers side and one on the passenger, correct?
If you're replacing a previous infotainment.com system, yes. You will sawp the HMI (driver's side) and ACM (passenger side).

However, if you are updating an existing OEM system and not replacing a previous infotainment.com system, you will also need to do step 1) or 2) below as well as applicable:

1) If you Do have factory Nav, in addition to the HMI and ACM boes, you will need to replace the USB hub located in the center console. The one in 2014-2015 cars do not support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work.

ACM, HMI & USB Hub

2) If you Do Not have factory Nav, in addition to swapping the HMI and ACM boxes and replacing the USB hub noted in 1) above, you will also need to install a GPS antenna and cable.

ACM, HMI, USB Hub, GPS Antenna with Cable

(Instead of the GPS antenna and the cable above that infotainment offers I think Anthony offers a GM antenna that goes under dash pad instead of running splitter cable across the dash to OnStar module)

Here is a diagram of the location of the HMI on the Drivers side:

HMI Location (Approx 10 mins to Remove)

Here is the location of the ACM on the Passenger side:

Note the metal plate/bracket that must be removed after pulling back the floor carpet to access. I was able to remove the fasteners and push it to the left and off to the side without removing the box and harness attached. Then the ACM is behind a second plastic bracket where it is "snapped" into place. You'll need to disconnect the connections and wrestle it around to the left of the platic bracket to get it out.

You can refer to the video in my previous post for an overview of the HMI and ACM replacement (@ 7:37 mark of video) and here is a reasonably good video on the replacement of the HMI and USB Hub and the install of the GPS Antenna and cable. (don't buy their kit though, it's the one everyone had issues with).

Good Luck!

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-02-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo...
The following users liked this post:
JSenek (05-30-2020)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2Intense
If you're replacing a previous infotainment.com system, yes. You will sawp the HMI (driver's side) and ACM (passenger side).

However, if you are updating an existing OEM system and not replacing a previous infotainment.com system, you will also need to do step 1) or 2) below as well as applicable:

1) If you Do have factory Nav, in addition to the HMI and ACM boes, you will need to replace the USB hub located in the center console. The one in 2014-2015 cars do not support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work.

ACM, HMI & USB Hub

2) If you Do Not have factory Nav, in addition to swapping the HMI and ACM boxes and replacing the USB hub noted in 1) above, you will also need to install a GPS antenna and cable.

ACM, HMI, USB Hub, GPS Antenna with Cable

(Instead of the GPS antenna and the cable above that infotainment offers I think Anthony offers a GM antenna that goes under dash pad instead of running splitter cable across the dash to OnStar module)

Here is a diagram of the location of the HMI on the Drivers side:

HMI Location (Approx 10 mins to Remove)

Here is the location of the ACM on the Passenger side:

Note the metal plate/bracket that must be removed after pulling back the floor carpet to access. I was able to remove the fasteners and push it to the left and off to the side without removing the box and harness attached. Then the ACM is behind a second plastic bracket where it is "snapped" into place. You'll need to disconnect the connections and wrestle it around to the left of the platic bracket to get it out.

You can refer to the video in my previous post for an overview of the HMI and ACM replacement (@ 7:37 mark of video) and here is a reasonably good video on the replacement of the HMI and USB Hub and the install of the GPS Antenna and cable. (don't buy their kit though, it's the one everyone had issues with).

Good Luck!
Thank you. My car is a 3LT Z51 with NAV. This is the first time I'm going to be swapping the system.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 PM
2Intense
Instructor

OK, that’s the same thing I have. You will get the HMI, the ACM, and the USB hub. Just a note about the USB hub, you can look at the new one and see where the clips are on each side so as to facilitate removing the old one. You’ll notice when you pull the old one out there’s not a whole hell of a lot of slack there with the connector so you have to squeeze your fingers in there to disconnect it. But once it’s disconnected it’s easy to connect the new one and just snap it into place. ( 2 to 3 minute job)

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-02-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 PM
viperbsd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2014 Z51 2LT Vert has the MRC & NPP, but it has no Nav. Looks like I will be installing a new HCMI, ACM, USB and GPS Antenna. Going to be fun for sure,

One thing I forgot to ask Anthony was since I have a 2014 Z51 with MRC & NPP will my drive modes for the exhaust, as well as the MRC look the same since I will now have the updated ACM ? I ask as I believe in 2015 they added some additional functions to the drive modes for the exhaust.

I received a tracking # from Anthony yesterday and everything will be here on Wednesday, but unfortunately I will most likely have to wait until the weekend to install it all.
2Intense (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Good question, I’m not sure. Mine was a 2015 Z51 3LT With factory NAV as well. When I installed the units he sent me with the upgraded software, other than it appearing to run faster from my screen touch and the addition of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto projection app, everything looked and worked exactly the same as it did from the factory. My drive modes and everything function and have the same menu options that they did the day I bought the car.

Since your item already shipped I guess it doesn’t make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. He’s not extremely familiar with the Corvette yet b since your item already shipped I guess it doesn’t make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. He’s not extremely familiar with the Corvette features yet so you would have to explain to him what those acronyms are for. The one thing I do know is that if you install it and something is quirky or doesn’t work the way you want it to, all you have to do is text him and he will ship you replacements to swap out after he figures out what the issue is. That’s the nice part, he will get it working the way you want it. My suspicion is whatever shows up this week is going to work for you.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:05 PM
viperbsd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question, I’m not sure. Mine was a 2015 Z51 3LT With factory NAV as well. When I installed the units he sent me with the upgraded software, other than it appearing to run faster from my screen touch and the addition of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto projection app, everything looked and worked exactly the same as it did from the factory. My drive modes and everything function and have the same menu options that they did the day I bought the car.

Since your item already shipped I guess it doesn’t make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. He’s not extremely familiar with the Corvette yet b since your item already shipped I guess it doesn’t make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. He’s not extremely familiar with the Corvette features yet so you would have to explain to him what those acronyms are for. The one thing I do know is that if you install it and something is quirky or doesn’t work the way you want it to, all you have to do is text him and he will ship you replacements to swap out after he figures out what the issue is. That’s the nice part, he will get it working the way you want it. My suspicion is whatever shows up this week is going to work for you.
I am quite sure that everything will work and most likely better than it did with my old setup. He spent a lot of time on my program as I am the first 2014 Corvette that he has done and he wanted to make sure that everything was just right. He kept texting me saying he was sorry it was taking longer than normal, but that he just wanted to be sure it was right. I replied to him each time stating to take his time, as I was not in a hurry.
2Intense (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:40 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

OK, that’s the same thing I have. You will get the HMI, the ACM, and the USB hub. Just a note about the USB hub, you can look at the new one and see where the clips are on each side so as to facilitate removing the old one. You’ll notice when you pull the old one out there’s not a whole hell of a lot of slack there with the connector so you have to squeeze your fingers in there to disconnect it. But once it’s disconnected it’s easy to connect the new one and just snap it into place. ( 2 to 3 minute job)
Awesome, thank you. I also just watched your video on it all. Appreciate it.
2Intense (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Where do you get the new USB plugs? And isn't one USB plug the same as the next?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Where do you get the new USB plugs? And isn't one USB plug the same as the next?
They're OEM 2016-2019 USB hubs and they came with my upgrade kit but I suspect you can walk into any GM dealer and buy them.
In order for Apple CarPlay to work in a pre-2016 C7, in addition to the HMI and ACM swap, the pre-2016 C7's need to have the USB hub replaced with post 2016 one. I'm not sure why, maybe the speed difference between 2.0 and 3.0USB? If you order a kit from MVI (Anthony) or even that infotainment site, they send you one as part of the kit. But, it's an OEM part for 2016+ C7's.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:01 AM
e4life82
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Here’s a dirty little secret...you technically don’t need the USB ports, all you have to do is plug your phone into the USB port behind the screen and CarPlay/AA will work
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Originally Posted by e4life82

Here’s a dirty little secret...you technically don’t need the USB ports, all you have to do is plug your phone into the USB port behind the screen and CarPlay/AA will work
Yeah but if they come with the kit anyway it doesn’t really matter. I sure as heck don’t want to keep my phone in that stowage space behind the radio. I’d spend the $20-$30 for one anyway if they didn’t already come with it.

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Regarding the USB plug in the center console. My car was a '15 3LT Stingray FWIW, and I kept the stock USB port and Android Auto worked just fine. Not sure why some need it replaced and other not?

@2Intense I am going to contact Anthony regarding the Nanny warning screen that appears on vehicle on startup. It does not automatically disappear even if the phone is not present like the one I had that came from infotainment.com did! This warning comes up every time the car starts, even if the start up screen is NOT AA/Carplay. The infotainment.com one only showed this nanny crap breifly when you started AA and the phone was plugged int. It is the most annoying thing ever. My old one this splash screen would appear and then disappear after a few seconds. Do you have to push the continue button or does yours disappear by itself?

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-03-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM
2Intense
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Regarding the USB plug in the center console. My car was a '15 3LT Stingray FWIW, and I kept the stock USB port and Android Auto worked just fine. Not sure why some need it replaced and other not?

@2Intense I am going to contact Anthony regarding the Nanny warning screen that appears on vehicle on startup. It does not automatically disappear even if the phone is not present like the one I had that came from infotainment.com did! This warning comes up every time the car starts, even if the start up screen is NOT AA/Carplay. The infotainment.com one only showed this nanny crap breifly when you started AA and the phone was plugged int. It is the most annoying thing ever. My old one this splash screen would appear and then disappear after a few seconds. Do you have to push the continue button or does yours disappear by itself?

Mine disappears and regarding the USB port, I was told it was necessary for Apple CarPlay not android auto but was provided with the kids so the vehicle could do either.

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-03-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Do'oh - I totally forgot that I had an ancient Iphone plugged into the cubby that I used as an IPod. Anthony said this was an Apple message. I unplugged the ancient Iphone and this message went away! Ah, perfection!

Freerider969 (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI