Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 02-03-2019, 01:41 PM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ha!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Z51VetteFan
CF Senior Member

It was my understanding that replacing the USB port also charges the phone at a 2.0amp versus 1.0amps, like the older USB port. Itís a simple swap out. So, thatís the first thing I did. Iím happy with the infotainment.com as I have a 1LT, I donít have all of the preinstalled mumbo jumbo electronics. Now I have Nav and Apple Car Play, with guidance lines in the camera. Pretty happy for that.

Last edited by Z51VetteFan; 02-03-2019 at 02:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Z51VetteFan For This Useful Post:
2Intense (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Deepdiver
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2Intense View Post
Good question, Iím not sure. Mine was a 2015 Z51 3LT With factory NAV as well. When I installed the units he sent me with the upgraded software, other than it appearing to run faster from my screen touch and the addition of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto projection app, everything looked and worked exactly the same as it did from the factory. My drive modes and everything function and have the same menu options that they did the day I bought the car.

Since your item already shipped I guess it doesnít make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. Heís not extremely familiar with the Corvette yet b since your item already shipped I guess it doesnít make any sense to text Anthony, but you might want to just text him that question and see what he says. Heís not extremely familiar with the Corvette features yet so you would have to explain to him what those acronyms are for. The one thing I do know is that if you install it and something is quirky or doesnít work the way you want it to, all you have to do is text him and he will ship you replacements to swap out after he figures out what the issue is. Thatís the nice part, he will get it working the way you want it. My suspicion is whatever shows up this week is going to work for you.
So, how much would you charge us local SoCal guys to do the install?
Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 PM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You canít afford me. That said once you get your kit youíre welcome to swing by the house and I will help you install it for nothing.

Last edited by 2Intense; 02-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Deepdiver
CF Senior Member

You canít afford me. That said once you get your kit youíre welcome to swing by the house and I will help you install it for nothing.
That's awesome. What city are you in?
Old 02-03-2019, 03:19 PM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thousand Oaks
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Deepdiver
CF Senior Member

With this module, after you connect the cable to your phone, do you lose text capability through your phone screen (does it block the phone out)?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Deepdiver View Post
With this module, after you connect the cable to your phone, do you lose text capability through your phone screen (does it block the phone out)?
nope, you retain full functionality of the phone. If you get a text message a notification pops up on your head unit screen and you touch the notification and CarPlay reads your message to you and asked you if you would like to respond. You can respond by saying yes and she will ask you what to respond with and you can tell her, or you can say no and she wonít respond. As new messages arrive she Will interrupt the music or whatever youíre listening to and let you know you have a new message and once again give you the option of listening to that message or not. At any point in time you can pick up your phone and read the message and respond to the message through the phone. Likewise, every other function on your phone remains fully functionable. In any of the navigation apps like Waze or Google maps, the main map will show on the screen of the head unit along with your next Maneuver, etc. etc. and your phone screen will display each turn by turn so you can scroll through your phone and see what your upcoming maneuvers will be yet look at the screen on the head unit to get your overall map view.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Deepdiver
CF Senior Member

(I have a 2LT w/ Nav/PDR) Does waze also show up in your center screen? Does it give you turn notifications on the Heads up Display?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan View Post
It was my understanding that replacing the USB port also charges the phone at a 2.0amp versus 1.0amps, like the older USB port. Itís a simple swap out. So, thatís the first thing I did. Iím happy with the infotainment.com as I have a 1LT, I donít have all of the preinstalled mumbo jumbo electronics. Now I have Nav and Apple Car Play, with guidance lines in the camera. Pretty happy for that.
That's correct. The older units charge at a lower current, and can't keep up with newer phones. It's most than just a 'dumb' socket. It's actually an independently powered USB hub.

I can't comment on whether it's absolutely necessary for Carplay or not. I'm not an Apple guy. Android Auto worked fine with my original 2014 USB/SD card slot, but the charging rate was abysmal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff V. For This Useful Post:
2Intense (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Fogboundturtle
CF Senior Member

I think I will buy the HMI and ACM modules. Now I need to find someone in Vancouver to install it for me. That's going to be a challenge.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Flame Red
CF Senior Member

(I have a 2LT w/ Nav/PDR) Does waze also show up in your center screen?
Yes

(I have a 2LT w/ Nav/PDR) Does it give you turn notifications on the Heads up Display?
To my knowledge no OEM has Waze display info on the HUD. I am not sure if this will be a future thing or not.

I heard that google is working on supporting AA via BT - so no more USB cable. But that would require a future BT specification that is being worked. So new phones, new hardware in the car, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame Red For This Useful Post:
2Intense (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I keep my center screen set up for my fuel readings so I never see the Waze guidence on the center screen.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flame Red View Post
Yes

To my knowledge no OEM has Waze display info on the HUD. I am not sure if this will be a future thing or not.

I heard that google is working on supporting AA via BT - so no more USB cable. But that would require a future BT specification that is being worked. So new phones, new hardware in the car, etc.
You sure it was Bluetooth? I thought it was wifi due to the bandwidth requirements.

It probably won't matter to us anyway. The new and refreshed 2019+ cars combined the HMI and ACM into one module. Even if they do add wireless connectivity, it's unlikely we'll be able to retrofit those systems. We got lucky enough being able to install the 2016 stuff.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:23 AM
2Intense
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by viperbsd View Post
My 2014 Z51 2LT Vert has the MRC & NPP, but it has no Nav. Looks like I will be installing a new HCMI, ACM, USB and GPS Antenna. Going to be fun for sure,

One thing I forgot to ask Anthony was since I have a 2014 Z51 with MRC & NPP will my drive modes for the exhaust, as well as the MRC look the same since I will now have the updated ACM ? I ask as I believe in 2015 they added some additional functions to the drive modes for the exhaust.

I received a tracking # from Anthony yesterday and everything will be here on Wednesday, but unfortunately I will most likely have to wait until the weekend to install it all.
Any update? Did you install yours yet?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:37 AM
viperbsd
CF Member

Any update? Did you install yours yet?
The shipment was delayed due to weather and I just received it this afternoon. I hope to get started on the install tomorrow and will report back.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:22 PM
EricC7

Default Antenna gps & pdr

Originally Posted by viperbsd View Post
The shipment was delayed due to weather and I just received it this afternoon. I hope to get started on the install tomorrow and will report back.
I'm having trouble with my GPS not working Red X issue. I can get a new GPS antenna for $30 online. Will this fix the problem and will it work with my HMI 2.0 GPS and PDR
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
viperbsd
CF Member

Originally Posted by EricC7 View Post
I'm having trouble with my GPS not working Red X issue. I can get a new GPS antenna for $30 online. Will this fix the problem and will it work with my HMI 2.0 GPS and PDR
Where did you place the GPS antenna ? On mine I was getting an occasional red x when I first started the car so I moved the GPS antenna to the spot under the dash speaker. A bit more work, but no more red X.

I followed the instructions in the below video (GPS install starts at 1 minute mark) and it was pretty straightforward.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM
EricC7

Default Redx

I haven't gotten it back from the shop yet. Second time they're redoing their work they did the first time to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I'm going to buy a new GPS antenna and put it in the left speaker compartment. Looks like a real pain in the *** to install.

Last edited by EricC7; 02-15-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 PM
ssidekickbp
CF Senior Member

I just wanted to start off by saying thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I had Anthony program my kit as well and my 2015 3LT Z51 is working flawlessly!

I now have car play, can still use my PDR and the system is faster then before. There is NO reason at all why GM could not offer this for existing customers, other then them wanting to sell you a new car rather then this type of upgrade.

In any case, it feels great to know it can be done and works.
Attached Images    

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 02-24-2019 at 07:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssidekickbp For This Useful Post:
stevestig (02-27-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: