C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:26 AM
EricC7
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Nav upgrade

I have a 2015 z51 2LT with nav MyLink and pdr what does the upgrade give you besides the carplay or Android auto? Does the upgrade actually give you the front camera?

Last edited by EricC7; 02-25-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

The main benefits are Carplay + AA, and the user interface is a lot faster and smoother.

Front camera is a totally different system that requires an additional module and replacement of the rear camera.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:44 PM
EricC7
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Guess I'll pass

Yes not worth it to me
Old 02-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
The main benefits are Carplay + AA, and the user interface is a lot faster and smoother.

Front camera is a totally different system that requires an additional module and replacement of the rear camera.
Has anyone tried to install, front cameras on a non camera car? I’m not interested in the PDR, per se, I’m more interested in a parking solution. And I don’t want anything except factory. Nothing like NavTool or anything. If I can’t go factory, like the car play module replacement, I’m not interested in it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Z51VetteFan; 02-25-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
Has anyone tried to install, front cameras on a non camera car? I’m not interested in the PDR, per se, I’m more interested in a parking solution. And I don’t want anything except factory. Nothing like NavTool or anything. If I can’t go factory, like the car play module replacement, I’m not interested in it.

Thanks.
I don't know if anyone has tried it yet. It's on my to-do list. I'm not looking forward to running wires from the front of the car all the way to the trunk.

You need to already have the 2016 HMI upgrade though. There's no way to do the factory camera system with a 14-15 HMI.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Definitely. I have a newer HMI and XM module with CarPlay, I’ve installed.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 AM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 2015 Corvette stingray Converible with 2LT yesterday. I decided to buy it after contacting Infotainment.com and being told I could add Apple Car Play and Navigation to my car. As far as I understand it I only have Navigation when I have OnStar but I will go by the dealer and find out for sure. I don't want to pay $35.00 a month for OnStar for ever. After reading this forum (and trying to follow it) I believe I should probably text Anthony and work with him, correct?
Also, I don't believe I could install this myself and Infotainmenbt gave me the name of a local company that they recommended to do the install. Hopefully they will install the equipment even if I get it from Anthony once I find out if I just have to add Apple Car play or Apple Car Play and Navigation. You guys have been very informative and I'm feeling better about buying the car now that it looks like I can add this. Actually, I love the car anyway but like the possibility of adding this . Just joined the Forum as well and hope I can find this Discussion again and see what you recommend. Thanks in advance for your input.
The following users liked this post:
Profit (05-15-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:16 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, I would strongly advise that you contact Anthony instead. And, yes, I’m sure that company will install it also. Everything you’re installing is OEM equipment, just different mod levels (software versions).
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Default Thank you!!!!

Originally Posted by 2Intense
Yes, I would strongly advise that you contact Anthony instead. And, yes, I’m sure that company will install it also. Everything you’re installing is OEM equipment, just different mod levels (software versions).
Thank hyou so much for that quick answer. I'll try and contact Anthony tomorrow. Thanks again. Jim.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 AM
viperbsd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As 2Intens has stated Anthony should be able to help you out and he is awesome to work with.

Last edited by viperbsd; 03-11-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Heff17
I just bought a 2015 Corvette stingray Converible with 2LT yesterday. I decided to buy it after contacting Infotainment.com and being told I could add Apple Car Play and Navigation to my car. As far as I understand it I only have Navigation when I have OnStar but I will go by the dealer and find out for sure. I don't want to pay $35.00 a month for OnStar for ever. After reading this forum (and trying to follow it) I believe I should probably text Anthony and work with him, correct?
Also, I don't believe I could install this myself and Infotainmenbt gave me the name of a local company that they recommended to do the install. Hopefully they will install the equipment even if I get it from Anthony once I find out if I just have to add Apple Car play or Apple Car Play and Navigation. You guys have been very informative and I'm feeling better about buying the car now that it looks like I can add this. Actually, I love the car anyway but like the possibility of adding this . Just joined the Forum as well and hope I can find this Discussion again and see what you recommend. Thanks in advance for your input.
No need to go to the dealer to ask what you have; if your icon looks like this picture, you do not have factory Nav (you have OnStar Turn-by-Turn navigation that requires an OnStar subscription).

It's your choice, but why get added Nav when you can get Nav from Apple CarPlay using Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze? If you live in an area where you have bad or no cell service, I can see why you also might want the factory Nav. When I upgraded my 2014, I just went with the I05 (vs I06) upgrade and use Apple Maps or Google Maps all the time and it works great. You can save maybe $300-$400 this way if it works for you. Just a thought...
Old 03-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by monicatomokc

No need to go to the dealer to ask what you have; if your icon looks like this picture, you do not have factory Nav (you have OnStar Turn-by-Turn navigation that requires an OnStar subscription).

It's your choice, but why get added Nav when you can get Nav from Apple CarPlay using Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze? If you live in an area where you have bad or no cell service, I can see why you also might want the factory Nav. When I upgraded my 2014, I just went with the I05 (vs I06) upgrade and use Apple Maps or Google Maps all the time and it works great. You can save maybe $300-$400 this way if it works for you. Just a thought...
I doi have the On Star Nav and I think your thought is a great one. I'll send my request to Anthony but think I only need to add the Apple Car Play as it will take care of my Navigation needs. And there is an A+ shop (from Beter Business Bureau) nearby that I will check with about installing as I know it is beyond me. Thank you all!!!!!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Thank you very much. I checked as you said and I have On Star navigation, but, as you said, I don't really need Navagation if I have the Apple Car play. I will check with Anthony and see if he can do that for me. I believe you are right about cost as well, car play by itself without the Navigation was cheaper.. Do I need to order a new radio as well? I think I saw that mentioned a couple of times but most didn't say that. What will I be ordering from Anthony to have installed here so they have everything they need to install and have it work. I'm really happy you all persevered and found solutions o things that disappeared but now they don't. I really like Heads Up Display and no one had any problem with that as far as I coul see (I was concerned because I know there was discussion about the projection being added). As I won't be installing myself I want to check with the shop that was recommended to make sure they can do it so I want to tell them what I will be swithcing in and out. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

I will be sending Anthony a text message but tried to go the website listed in the forum (https://www.gm.navigation.com) but was told Safari could not find the server.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:11 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

I will be sending Anthony a text message but tried to go the website listed in the forum (https://www.gm.navigation.com) but was told Safari could not find the server.
I believe you are missing a "dash" in there. Try this:

https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2...actory-system/

For the I05 setup (No Factory Nav), you get the HMI module, radio tuner, and USB port required for the complete setup.

Good luck!!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Again, thanks. You have been very helpful. Already have a quick reply from Anthony, he asked if I have PDR. I don't think my 2LT has that but I'll check in the morning and get back to Anthony. Glad this Forum exists.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Again, thanks. You have been very helpful. Already have a quick reply from Anthony, he asked if I have PDR. I don't think my 2LT has that but I'll check in the morning and get back to Anthony. Glad this Forum exists.
Glad to help. Yes, this forum is great for advise; it has helped me with a number of questions I had doing various projects, etc.

The way this works is that you need Factory Nav to have the PDR (Performance Data Recorder), so since you don't have "Factory Nav," you won't have a PDR.

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Thanks, Anthony has my VIN and checking what he needs for my build sheet. Based on recommendations here I'm probably going to go with Apple Car Play upgrade only, won't need Navigation with that. For the I05 setup (No Factory Nav), I understand I should get the HMI module, radiotuner, and USBport required for the complete setup. I saw several people talking about the USB plug also has to be replaced. Is that the one in the behind screen storage or do I have to install one in the glove box? Do I need that as well? Do I need the antennae also or was that just for Navigation module? I have contacted a local car audio shop about installing it as I know it is beyond me. As soon as Anthony gets back to me I'll order it and hopefully have it installed quickly. Doing it with Anthony's equipment it sounds like everything else will continue to work well. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

USB socket is for the center console. You don't need the antenna if you're only doing IO5.
Heff17 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Maxballz
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those those who have a 2014 Z51 3LT and have been able to keep the drive modes and rear camera lines - what software version are you using? Would it be recommended that I use a 2016 1LT VIN (no PDR / no front cameras / no NAV) or a 2016 3LT VIN (PDR / front cameras / Nav)? I have all the IO6 parts to keep Nav and will be attempting to program them later this week. Any help would be appreciated.
2Intense (03-20-2019)

Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI