C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I have no idea what effect it'll have to program IO6 hardware with IO5 calibrations. It might be fine, or it might brick the module.

I recently switched my car over from a 2016 IO5 to an IO6 module with the matched programming. I lost my camera lines, as expected, but everything else seems to be working fine. I just moved the PDR icon and a few others I'm not using off to the 2nd page.

As far as I can tell, drive mode customization is permanently broken on 2014s. We've got a different selection of modes compared to 15 onward. The 2016 HMI is looking for certain data bus messages, and the 2014 PCM (and CCM?) aren't able to provide those, so the HMI disables the menu. The drive mode **** still works fine. You just can't override the defaults using the HMI menu.
The following users liked this post:
2Intense (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxballz
For those those who have a 2014 Z51 3LT and have been able to keep the drive modes and rear camera lines - what software version are you using? Would it be recommended that I use a 2016 1LT VIN (no PDR / no front cameras / no NAV) or a 2016 3LT VIN (PDR / front cameras / Nav)? I have all the IO6 parts to keep Nav and will be attempting to program them later this week. Any help would be appreciated.
Call or text Anthony at 919-995-9523 (MVI) and ask him. He'll tell you. If he's the one giving you that info then I would bet it's correct.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 AM
viperbsd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For those those who have a 2014 Z51 3LT and have been able to keep the drive modes and rear camera lines - what software version are you using? Would it be recommended that I use a 2016 1LT VIN (no PDR / no front cameras / no NAV) or a 2016 3LT VIN (PDR / front cameras / Nav)? I have all the IO6 parts to keep Nav and will be attempting to program them later this week. Any help would be appreciated.
I have both modules from Anthony for my 2014 Z51 2LT Vert which added Navi and Apple CarPlay. Everything works great except for the driver mode under settings. All my driving modes work as they should via the center console dial and I use the "mild to wild" for my exhaust setting so the missing driver mode under settings does not matter to me.

This issue only affects the 2014 MY with Z51 and Anthony is still working on a programming fix. Anthony is a stand up guy and I love having factory Navigation and Apple CarPlay in my 2014.

Just reach out to Anthony 919-995-9523 and he can answer your questions

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
2Intense (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM
2Intense
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

what he said...
Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Ed Hudson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the HMI upgrade yesterday. Taking it out today to re-cal the GPS and confirm there's no conflicts so far. Needing the trim removal data for the I/O 6 IPhone/Android module swap. More to come.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM
Maxballz
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

Update - I installed the 2016+ HMI, XM radio, and USB a few days ago in my 2014 Z51 3LT. Today I stopped into my see my brother at his dealership to have the modules programed. He's been a mechanic for 20+ years and a GM tech for about 10 of those years dealing specifically with electrical and computer related issues, and this was the first time that he's ever attempted to swap / reprogram used modules. GM has said that used modules from a donor car can not be reprograms to be used on a different vehicle.... which obviously is untrue and an attempt to sell parts.

It was a bit of a learning process for both of us. We used SPS with an MDI to program the XM radio first with a 2016 C7 Z51 3LT VIN to match my options as close as possible which was manually entered. This video shows pretty much exactly the process.

This caused the "Theft Locked" screen to appear on the screen since the HMI was in theft mode. We kept trying to reprogram the HMI which wasn't excepting my VIN for some reason. I messaged Jeff V. who suggested reprogramming the radio again, which was the exact problem! We then went back and programed the XM Radio again with the manually entered 2016 VIN and all of a sudden the "Theft Locked" screen disappeared and the 2016+ display was present. So it looks like the proper programing order is HMI then XM radio.

Programing accepted

Carplay up and running

And of course I lost my reverse lines. Which I knew would happen, and don't really car about.

All and all messing around and trying to figure things out took about 2 hours. Now that we know how to do it, this would probably take less than 5 minutes to program the modules to work. I didn't run any further updates because everything was working as expected. Total cost of the project was about $550CND for the parts and a bottle of whiskey for my brother. Big thanks to Jeff V. for steering us in the right direction and everyone else who contributed to this very informitive thread!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM
e4life82
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info! I had been trying to reprogram my VIN into this used HMI I had for awhile and never would’ve thought the Radio Module was the key to doing it, thanks it worked like a charm. However unfortunately it’s getting shipped off to Anthony to get the CarPlay treatment. Hey do you have a part number for the USB module btw?

Hey Guys,

Update - I installed the 2016+ HMI, XM radio, and USB a few days ago in my 2014 Z51 3LT. Today I stopped into my see my brother at his dealership to have the modules programed. He's been a mechanic for 20+ years and a GM tech for about 10 of those years dealing specifically with electrical and computer related issues, and this was the first time that he's ever attempted to swap / reprogram used modules. GM has said that used modules from a donor car can not be reprograms to be used on a different vehicle.... which obviously is untrue and an attempt to sell parts.

It was a bit of a learning process for both of us. We used SPS with an MDI to program the XM radio first with a 2016 C7 Z51 3LT VIN to match my options as close as possible which was manually entered. This video shows pretty much exactly the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7SXXPIC9U

This caused the "Theft Locked" screen to appear on the screen since the HMI was in theft mode. We kept trying to reprogram the HMI which wasn't excepting my VIN for some reason. I messaged Jeff V. who suggested reprogramming the radio again, which was the exact problem! We then went back and programed the XM Radio again with the manually entered 2016 VIN and all of a sudden the "Theft Locked" screen disappeared and the 2016+ display was present. So it looks like the proper programing order is HMI then XM radio.

Programing accepted

Carplay up and running

And of course I lost my reverse lines. Which I knew would happen, and don't really car about.

All and all messing around and trying to figure things out took about 2 hours. Now that we know how to do it, this would probably take less than 5 minutes to program the modules to work. I didn't run any further updates because everything was working as expected. Total cost of the project was about $550CND for the parts and a bottle of whiskey for my brother. Big thanks to Jeff V. for steering us in the right direction and everyone else who contributed to this very informitive thread!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Maxballz
Cruising

Originally Posted by e4life82
Good info! I had been trying to reprogram my VIN into this used HMI I had for awhile and never would’ve thought the Radio Module was the key to doing it, thanks it worked like a charm. However unfortunately it’s getting shipped off to Anthony to get the CarPlay treatment. Hey do you have a part number for the USB module btw?
Yeah, the part number I used for the USB is 13509942.

After a day of driving around I noticed my radio reception was terrible with the new radio receiver. So last night I swapped back my original 14 radio module which has not been reprogrammed with 16 software. Surprisingly it works perfectly with the new HMI and functions exactly the same as the 16, with the exception that I have HD radio again and FM works perfectly just as before. That would lead me to conclude that the radio module DOES NOT need to be upgraded on the 14's running IO6. I don't know if that's the case with IO5.

I am though still missing drive select and back up camera lines which are both not options in the menu which would be controlled by the HMI.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 AM
viperbsd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After a day of driving around I noticed my radio reception was terrible with the new radio receiver. So last night I swapped back my original 14 radio module which has not been reprogrammed with 16 software. Surprisingly it works perfectly with the new HMI and functions exactly the same as the 16, with the exception that I have HD radio again and FM works perfectly just as before. That would lead me to conclude that the radio module DOES NOT need to be upgraded on the 14's running IO6. I don't know if that's the case with IO5.

I am though still missing drive select and back up camera lines which are both not options in the menu which would be controlled by the HMI.
You guys should work with Anthony as I replaced my 2014 radio module as well as the HMI module with the updated ones from Anthony and I now have factory Navigation as well as Apple CarPlay. I did retain my HD radio and my FM reception is working as it did before the module swaps.

I did not lose my backup camera lines, but I did lose the driver mode under settings, but as I mentioned in my earlier post the fact that I lost the driver mode under settings does not effect me as I am able to change driving modes via the center console dial and I can change my exhaust mode via the "mild to wild" mod.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Have you tried any of the Android/Apple functions yet? I've heard, but not confirmed, that's where the difference in radio modules is. The smartphone integration supposedly doesn't work right on the older radios.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Maxballz
Cruising

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Have you tried any of the Android/Apple functions yet? I've heard, but not confirmed, that's where the difference in radio modules is. The smartphone integration supposedly doesn't work right on the older radios.
Just tried it out. So everything to do with playing music works as normal through the steering wheel controls. Carplay works as normal too with all the apps functioning as they did before. The problem comes from Siri, it will recognize my voice but can’t exicute comands and control anything. I wonder if I was to flash the 16 software to the 14 module if that would work. I may try that just out of curiosity.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

That's interesting. It's weird that it half works. I'd expect it to be all or nothing.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:48 PM
stevestig
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also ordered from Anthony @ MVI https://www.gm-navigation.com/. I have a 2015 Z06 with NAV/PDR and wanted CarPlay. Anthony was very responsive to texts, shipped as soon as the parts were in. I installed today, and everything works great, as expected. The head unit responds faster, still has working PDR and NAV, and Waze thru CarPlay on my iPhone worked great!

Thanks to all who had suggestions and pioneered along the way. A few notes on my install that may help someone:

- It took me about 90 minutes total, doing it by myself and taking lots of time.
- I disconnected the battery to do the install.
- The only trim I removed was on both the drivers side and passengers side door jam. It made pulling back the carpet (passenger side) and visibility in general better.
- Once you remove the 2 nuts and one bolt holding the silver panel in place in the passengers footwell, you do not need to remove the 4 black smaller bolts that attach one module to the silver panel, they will all lay forward out of the way together.
- Mine didn't have any tape to stop rattles like others described... go figure.
- When I got the tabs pushed in on my USB plug and got it to start coming forward, it literally broke apart into 3 pieces. The black shell, the electronics inside, and the white molex connector in the back. After a moment of OMG, I was able to fish the white plastic connector, with the car wiring attached thru the hole in the console without disassembling it all. It was simple to unclip the wires, and plug it into the new one. It works great!

Last edited by stevestig; 03-31-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:20 PM
e4life82
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevestig
I also ordered from Anthony @ MVI https://www.gm-navigation.com/. I have a 2015 Z06 with NAV/PDR and wanted CarPlay. Anthony was very responsive to texts, shipped as soon as the parts were in. I installed today, and everything works great, as expected. The head unit responds faster, still has working PDR and NAV, and Waze thru CarPlay on my iPhone worked great!

Thanks to all who had suggestions and pioneered along the way. A few notes on my install that may help someone:

- It took me about 90 minutes total, doing it by myself and taking lots of time.
- The only trim I removed was on both the drivers side and passengers side door jam. It made pulling back the carpet (passenger side) and visibility in general better.
- Once you remove the 2 nuts and one bolt holding the silver panel in place in the passengers footwell, you do not need to remove the 4 black smaller bolts that attach one module to the silver panel, they will all lay forward out of the way together.
- When I got the tabs pushed in on my USB plug and got it to start coming forward, it literally broke apart into 3 pieces. The black shell, the electronics inside, and the white molex connector in the back. After a moment of OMG, I was able to fish the white plastic connector, with the car wiring attached thru the hole in the console without disassembling it all. It was simple to unclip the wires, and plug it into the new one. It works great!

I thought 2016 and up C7s had CarPlay, you get an early production car?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:54 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

@stevestig , did your Z06 retain touch screen control of drive/exhaust modes with the update? I see a note saying Z51 cars in 14-15 lose this, but wasn't sure if Z06 retains it. I'm looking to do this update for our 2015 Z06.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by scorp508
@stevestig , did your Z06 retain touch screen control of drive/exhaust modes with the update? I see a note saying Z51 cars in 14-15 lose this, but wasn't sure if Z06 retains it. I'm looking to do this update for our 2015 Z06.
Thanks in advance.
I think with this device you don't lose any controls, at least on the 2015.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM
e4life82
Advanced

Originally Posted by scorp508

Thanks in advance.
I got the service done and everything worked like it always did just faster and with CarPlay. Also if you provide your own HMI it knocks off almost 800 bucks off the service!

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

You had to replace your USB plug? Where did you find that?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 PM
Heff17
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anthony sent a USB plug with my order.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:26 AM
e4life82
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
You had to replace your USB plug? Where did you find that?
Got the part number for it and got mine off eBay for 20 bucks

Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI