C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I did the programming myself since I have an MDI.

I don't count the cost of the MDI since I can use that for future troubleshooting and projects.
What is an "MDI"? Could you post a picture of it or is it some kind of software loaded on a computer?

Is this what is used to program the VIN into the HMI and/or Radio Receiver to work properly in the car??

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

It's the tool GM dealers use to program and diagnose cars.

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro...ral-motors-mdi

The software runs on a laptop, and the tool is sort of like a translator that lets the laptop talk to the car. I bought mine used on eBay, and I paid AC Delco for a subscription to the software.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home
The following users liked this post:
monicatomokc (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
It's the tool GM dealers use to program and diagnose cars.

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro...ral-motors-mdi

The software runs on a laptop, and the tool is sort of like a translator that lets the laptop talk to the car. I bought mine used on eBay, and I paid AC Delco for a subscription to the software.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home
Thanks. Always wondered how they did that!!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Pckrfan795
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that if you replaced every module with a 2016 variant that the car would be no different than a 2016 z51/z06. The 2016 + added new options when decoupling the drive modes and I am pretty sure that it is just an algorithm. I think that we are close, maybe one more module away. What would control the powertrain / exhaust? ECM maybe?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by socratesis
I updated the HMI and Radio in my 2014 z51 3lt. Until I read about losing settings for driving mode I hadn’t realized it was gone. My install worked great, BUT, my steering wheel controls won’t activate Siri or hang up the phone on CarPlay. Everything else works as it should. I was told that the 2014 cluster is incompatible with CarPlay and have considered changing it. I’ve had CarPlay in my last 3 cars, it’s important to me. I hope this helped in some way...
Originally Posted by socratesis
Mine is now the I06 and I no longer have the settings for the drive mode. I actually believe they updated the gague cluster, based on what I was told regarding my steering wheel controls working for everything besides the phone controls specific to CarPlay. The distributor said that other 14’s and 15’s (I think) have had that problem and he said the cluster is incompatible.
Have you, by chance, tried Android with the I06 and steering controls? Will it answer/hang-up calls and activate Google Now (Siri equiv)?

Aside:
Has anyone with a '15 Z51 tried the I06 upgrade with Android and can add some details: loss of Drive Mode screen, texting on cluster, etc
Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pckrfan795
I think that we are close, maybe one more module away. What would control the powertrain / exhaust? ECM maybe?
The variable exhaust is controlled by the chassis control module in the trunk. I did a little more digging, and found out the chassis module talks to the eLSD. I'm not going to risk screwing that up over some gimmicky menu.

Power steering has its own control module built into the rack. That's definitely not worth replacing. It's possible it gets its configuration orders from the chassis module though.

If the HMI wasn't so locked down, it'd be possible to patch the software to fix the problem. But you can't load altered software on it. It uses cryptographic signatures and there's probably no way around that.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 03-05-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 PM
socratesis
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff V., That’s a great question on how the cluster is related to the HMI... that I can’t answer. I am giving you information that the tech guy at infotech gave me. He said that they had run against this with others... I am just taking his word. Based on what he said, the cluster has control or a connection with the phone controls on the steering wheel. I am not sure at all if it is connected with the drive mode settings, I can just say that I had the I06 and I still do not have them.

Last edited by socratesis; 03-06-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Sorry about that. I was getting the drive mode and the Car Play controls mixed up in my head. That's what I get for posting in a hurry. With that said, I'm still not sure it's the cluster. The Cadillac guys seem to have the same problem.

When I first installed my new HMI, my steering controls didn't work at all. Kinda freaked me out for a few minutes. After I programmed the HMI to match my car, my steering controls started working again. I haven't tested them with Android Auto yet.

Are we sure they're even supposed to work for CarPlay/AA stuff?

Last edited by Jeff V.; 03-06-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
socratesis
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only say that they are in every car i’ve Had with CarPlay... my16 Cadillac vsport worked the exact same except you could activate Siri and deactivate her (and hang up the call) from the steering wheel. This is a very important function if CarPlay gets hung up while your on your phone, in which case you’re fishing for your black screened phone while driving to hang up the call... I use my Apple Watch as a backup to hang up the phone and make a call... hey Siri is more responsive from it. There is definitely a chance that yours could work. The infotech guy said that this was a problem specific to 14’s, but as far as I know, they still don’t mention this on their site...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I'll play with it some more in the next few days. I did look up the wiring diagrams, and the right side steering controls do route through the cluster. For some reason the cruise controls on the left go all the way to the body control module. Engineers make the weirdest decisions.

Anyway, the steering wheel info controls and HUD both route through the cluster on a LIN (linear interconnect network) bus. The cluster then talks to the HMI and a few other things on the high speed MOST (media oriented systems transport) bus. If the cluster isn't set up to translate those messages between buses when the car is in AA or Carplay mode, that could explain it.

This would be so easy to fix if the software wasn't so locked down.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

I want to install the IO6 module into my 2015 Corvette. I have Navigation and PDR already and just want to add Apple Car Play. I have access to an MDI tool and am curious if I could just install the IO6 and use the MDI to match it to my VIN. Then everything should work fine from what I understand. Has anyone tried this yet? I feel like the $1399 price tag from vendors for the pre programmed I06 is a huge ripoff.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

You need a radio module as well. But otherwise, that's exactly what I did. I bought a used IO5 HMI, a used radio, and an SPS subscription for a 2016 VIN. $210 between those three things. I would have gone IO6, but I didn't want to spend too much money on something I wasn't 100% sure I could make work.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Pckrfan795
Instructor

Where did you find them so cheap? The HMI alone on ebay is running 500+
Old 03-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

It doesn't have to be a 'Corvette' HMI or radio. As a matter of fact, there is no 2016 Corvette radio that has the U2M HD option. My HMI is out of a Camaro and my radio is out of a Silverado. A lot of this stuff works across more than one GM model. Finding detailed part number interchange info is nearly impossible. But from what I was able to piece together, the Corvette shares electrical parts with the loaded Chevrolets (Camaro, Impala, full size trucks) and the Cadillacs. There's probably some Buick and GMC interchange in there too, but again, accurate part interchange info is very difficult to come across.

GM had an approved retrofit for some early 2016 ATS-Vs. I know the HMI they call for in the bulletin was for sure used in the 2016 Corvette. The ATS sedan offered a 10 speaker Bose system too, so I figured that was as good a starting point as any.

I used the IO5 and U2M parts. IO6 and U2K were also called out in the Cadillac upgrade bulletin. These are used on many other GM vehicles, so don't get hung up on it being a "Corvette" or "ATS" part.

IO5 HMI: 23415901 (replaced by 84089007)
IO6 HMI: 23415899 (replaced by 84089011)
U2M Radio: 23402903 (possibly replaced by 84293226)
U2K Radio: 23402905 (possibly replaced by 84293228)

Keep in mind if you do not currently have navigation, and you're adding an IO6 module, you'll need a GPS antenna. Those are available cheaply.

Also, if your car does not currently have HD Radio, you won't gain it by installing the U2M radio. You'd also need the antennas in the back of the car and I have no idea what it would take to add those.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Installed the 106

I have a 2016 LSI and purchased the 106 module from Infortainment.Everything works perfectly except incoming calls.By accident I found out if I press the select button before I press the speak button,I can receive incoming calls.BUT some people call me and I can press the talk button and the phone will connect w/o pressing the select button. I called some of the people directly from my home and now I realize its not the car.Its the phone.Some phones are not compatible with the system used in the newer Vettes. Newer phones seem to connect while older phones won't connect at all. Calling out is no problem. I haven't had an out going call that didn't connect just incoming calls won't connect.My main objection is it takes a long time for the incoming calls to connect and the phone will go to the answer machine.My car takes real long time to connect and many times the car times out and the phone is answered by my answer machine. Rod

I just realized That installing the 106 module,I lost the different screens .If I replace thr 105 module will that bring back the speedometers? I don't want to yank the 106 module out of the car if it won't do the replacing the speedometers.This is the 3 different displays.Rod

I replaced the I05 module back into my car,it looks like I lost the other 2 screens permanently.I am really sorry I purchased the I06 module.I lost more then I gained

Last edited by ROD BROWN; 03-30-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Need advice
Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

I just called and spoke with one of the companies that offers the pre-programmed modules and was given some rather interesting information.

2014-2015 Corvettes cannot upgrade to the IO6 (v2.5) modules for Apple Car Play as they will lose the Drive Mode functionality and PDR. The reason is that in 2016, Corvette changed the mappings for drive mode in 2016. They also said Corvette made a lot of changes through the years and it is only recommended to keep the HMI's matching to the years they belong to. Therefore they can only guarantee everything works if you keep the same year HMI and then they can add Navigation.

But if you want to upgrade a 2014-2015 to the IO6(which would need to be the 2016 version) and add Apple Car Play you will have to deal with losing Drive Mode and PDR.

None of this is worth it to me for Apple Car Play and I already have Navigation. At least now I know I can spend my $$ on something else.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I just called and spoke with one of the companies that offers the pre-programmed modules and was given some rather interesting information.

2014-2015 Corvettes cannot upgrade to the IO6 (v2.5) modules for Apple Car Play as they will lose the Drive Mode functionality and PDR. The reason is that in 2016, Corvette changed the mappings for drive mode in 2016. They also said Corvette made a lot of changes through the years and it is only recommended to keep the HMI's matching to the years they belong to. Therefore they can only guarantee everything works if you keep the same year HMI and then they can add Navigation.

But if you want to upgrade a 2014-2015 to the IO6(which would need to be the 2016 version) and add Apple Car Play you will have to deal with losing Drive Mode and PDR.

None of this is worth it to me for Apple Car Play and I already have Navigation. At least now I know I can spend my $$ on something else.
I made the switch (i.e., 2016 v2.5 I05 HMI {didn't want factory Nav}, Radio Receiver and USB Port) to my 2014, non-Z51 to get Apple CarPlay. Since PDR wasn't available for the 2014, nothing to lose for the 2014 owners.

So I just went to see what I might have lost regarding "Drive Mode" and everything worked fine per my 2014 owners manual, cycling through the 3 different displays. I hadn't been in the owners manual for quite a while, so I also, in the process, changed from viewing "oil temp" on the right side of the DIC to view the battery status. I checked all the various "Drive Mode" options controlled from the center console and what should also appear in the DIC displays and they all seemed to operate as advertised. So maybe with the I06 HMI module that has the extra PDR/NAV "stuff" needed, might be where the issues stem from(??).

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 03-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Pckrfan795
Instructor

The issue is with Z51/Z06 cars
Old 03-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
I made the switch (i.e., 2016 v2.5 I05 HMI {didn't want factory Nav}, Radio Receiver and USB Port) to my 2014, non-Z51 to get Apple CarPlay. Since PDR wasn't available for the 2014, nothing to lose for the 2014 owners.

So I just went to see what I might have lost regarding "Drive Mode" and everything worked fine per my 2014 owners manual, cycling through the 3 different displays. I hadn't been in the owners manual for quite a while, so I also, in the process, changed from viewing "oil temp" on the right side of the DIC to view the battery status. I checked all the various "Drive Mode" options controlled from the center console and what should also appear in the DIC displays and they all seemed to operate as advertised. So maybe with the I06 HMI module that has the extra PDR/NAV "stuff" needed, might be where the issues stem from(??).
From my understanding the issue is going from IO5 to IO6. I already have an IO5(standard in 2015 and later 2014 models) and wanted to go to IO6(2016 and up) for apple car play. V2.0 is an IO5 and v2.5 is an IO6 so I think you might mean you went to a v2.5 IO6? I thought only the v2.5 IO6 could run apple play? That is specifically what the vendor told me today when I spoke to them.

Originally Posted by Pckrfan795
The issue is with Z51/Z06 cars
This would make sense of what was posted above. Since he is a non Z51 perhaps the mapping is not an issue. The Z51 not only maps sound management and steering, but also Mag Ride if equipped and the eLSD.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
From my understanding the issue is going from IO5 to IO6. I already have an IO5(standard in 2015 and later 2014 models) and wanted to go to IO6(2016 and up) for apple car play. V2.0 is an IO5 and v2.5 is an IO6 so I think you might mean you went to a v2.5 IO6? I thought only the v2.5 IO6 could run apple play? That is specifically what the vendor told me today when I spoke to them.

This would make sense of what was posted above. Since he is a non Z51 perhaps the mapping is not an issue. The Z51 not only maps sound management and steering, but also Mag Ride if equipped and the eLSD.
Actually, RPO codes I05 and I06 started with MY2015 (MY2014 RPO code was "RAO" for no-NAV and "UY4" for with-NAV) The HMI module that I pulled out under the "RAO" RPO code was v2.0. The MY2016 I05 HMI module I replaced it with has v2.5 on it, even though it does not have factory NAV. MY2015 started the I05 and I06 RPO codes which signify without Nav (I05) and with Nav (I06). The I06 not only gives you Nav, it also gives you the PDR capability that was not an option in 2014. So, technically, I went from "RAO" to a 2016 "I05" system to get Apple CarPlay; which by-the-way, has been working fine now. My primary purpose for doing this was to get the maps (Nav) which meets by needs just fine. The other phone and text capabilities are just an added benefit, along with the "I Heart Radio" capability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI