C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Life can change in an instant - Be Safe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 AM
RE/MAX 1
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Life can change in an instant - Be Safe

Fellow Enthusiasts,

I am the proud owner of a 2016 Z06 C7R, Yellow coupe with M7. While I will admit to it being mostly a garage queen, but it's my garage queen, as it has only 1900 miles on the odometer. As a real estate broker, (I'm 56) I try to take it out as much as possible to enjoy this incredible machine. This is my first Corvette, as I was always one of those Porsche snobs, but I fell in love with the body style, color and lines. Once I drove this Z06, there was no turning back. This is, by any measurable stick, the most fun and enjoyment I have ever had in a vehicle. It has performed flawlessly, with not one problem. I smile every time I look at it and sneak peeks any chance I get. I feel blessed to have the means to own it.

On Thursday, February 15th, I was driving my Escalade from an appointment and a car turned into me while I was driving 45 MPH. I hit the vehicle head on. As I lost consciousness, I thought I was dying. I was rushed to the hospital and they went to work on me. My truck saved my life. Long story short, I have a fractured sternum, many bumps, bruises, cuts and lucky to be alive.

I am home resting and recuperating. It's difficult to move and breathe, but I'm here with eveything intact. My wife and I have been discussing how things change quickly and she has requested I sell my beloved Z06. I never thought I would consider such a thing, but I am now leaning towards following though. I'm heartbroken over it. I don't get sentimental and I am not that type of guy, but over the last few days, my mind replays the accident and I break down, most likely related to PTSD.

I believe it's going to be awhile before I would get comfortable again driving a new Escalade, let alone my Vette. It's a waste for it to sit in the garage and not be used. I was hoping for feedback on anyone else that has been through an experience like this. I don't want to make any knee jerk decisions but at the same time, this accident could not have been avoided, the other driver was cited for failing to heed the right of way and it's one of those things that nothing could have changed, except for fate.

On the flip side, I have no idea what fair market value is on the car. I'm thinking in the 80's, but also, looking for feedback. Here's a few pictures to give you an idea of what I just experienced.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Brad
Attached Images    
Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Wow.

Glad you are alive.

I try to treat each day as a gift and a blessing, but incidents like yours really emphasize that.

Here's hoping you have a healthy and speedy recovery.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Prayers for a speedy recovery. You need to do what's best for you. In my case of Life can change in an instant my Vette was what got me through and I make sure to enjoy as much as possible. Never know what tomorrow will bring. Stay safe
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Hope you have good recovery. Maybe heal a bit before making a decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by sammyv:
Aerovette (02-19-2018), chasboland (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I haven't been through anything like that, so no color to add, but glad you're going to recover! I'd wait a few months to see if anything changes - no reason to make a quick decision and sell the car, only to regret it later...
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Glad to hear that you survived. Why not wait for a bit on deciding whether or not you sell your Z06?

You've just been through a hugely traumatic experience (both mental and physical) ... my thought: give yourself a chance to regroup physically and work things out mentally. The car isn't going anywhere, and any loss of value (if that's a concern) will be trivial over the time that you need now to get things healed up.

Good luck and God speed in your recovery.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyv
Hope you have good recovery. Maybe heal a bit before making a decision.
I've learned that it's best not to make any abrupt decisions right after something like this happens. Give it a little time and thought before doing anything. I guess it goes without saying but also be glad you were in the Escalade when the accident occurred. It could have been much worse for you. Glad you're going to be okay.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

Scary story and I’m glad you are here to tell it and hope for a speedy recovery. I agree with the others that you should give it some time. Obviously your wife is the most important thing in your life so her opinion matters most. The older I get though,the more I appreciate the things in my life that bring me joy. My corvette brings me joy. I don’t drive mine much and only do 2-3 track weekends a year, but I walk by it every morning on my way to work and smile. Life is about living, don’t let someone else’s bad decision take joy from you. Good luck with your decision. If you decide to sell and regret it, there will be another low mile yellow for sale somewhere.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,565 Likes on 859 Posts

There is that old saying about getting back on the horse....

As others have said don't rush, heal first, life is short and there are always dangers lurking out there. People can locked themselves in their homes and never leave but what fun would that be.

Rest, heal and be thankful it wasn't worse then it was. Then do what feels right inside nobody's opinion matters here only yours.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My story might help you or confuse you, so here is the short version. I always wanted a corvette but I kept procrastinating and saying maybe next year. My companies Fire truck rolled over and my life changed in a second. I was knocked out, concussion, fractured C2, T12, L5, separation of shoulder, labrum tear, ect. It took me almost 7 years of therapy, surgeries, phyciatrists, doctors, ect to get my life back on track.

Fast forward here I am today with a 2017 racing yellow Z06. You only live once and I was done living in the past and asking myself every night why me. I bought her brand new, did the museum delivery and she is my garage queen. Seeing her brings me happiness, driving her brings me even more happiness. We can't control what our future holds and this car makes me happy and brings joy to my life. Don't make any quick decisions and wait till you heal mentally and physically before you decide what to do. Good luck with whatever path you take, it won't be easy but it will get better and seeing your baby will bring smiles and something to look forward to once you heal.

Last edited by Diesel88; 02-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by RE/MAX 1

On Thursday, February 15th, I was driving my Escalade from an appointment and a car turned into me while I was driving 45 MPH. I hit the vehicle head on. As I lost consciousness, I thought I was dying. I was rushed to the hospital and they went to work on me. My truck saved my life.

Brad
Brad, wishing you a speedy recovery. Thank god you were in the big suv. What kind of vehicle pulled out in front of you and how is that driver doing ?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:10 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to hear this unfortunate news. I pray that you recover soon. As for the Vette, you should keep it. The vette had nothing to do with the accident. Sometimes life just tosses you a curve ball. You are lucky to be alive and intact. I am 42 and I have been a Cop in one of the most violent cities in America. I fine very little in life that makes me happy anymore. I ordered a 2019 Z06/Z07 with the Callaway SC757 package. I should have it back from Callaway mid March. This will be my first Vette. I never drove one or even rode in one. I hope this brings me joy. Life is fragile! So why I am still hear and able, I will let the good times roll. Whatever you decide to do, be happy with that decision.....
Old 02-19-2018, 12:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Wow! Glad you are recovering.

I also suggest waiting until after you have had time for your emotions to heal as well.

It looks like your Escalade did it's job giving up it's life in the accident, however once you feel comfortable behind the wheel again, then make the decision on your vehicles.

I can't imagine what it would be like experiencing that kind of accident, however I agree that with all the in-cabin distractions now available, more than ever we need to be extra careful driving our low-profile cars.

Life can change in an instance and there by the grace of God walk I.
The following users liked this post:
Vette E Boop (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

In spite of all that damage and your injuries, that passenger compartment appears fairly uncompromised. Knowing that, and that the Corvette is subject to the same safety requirements, should allow you a bit of comfort in getting back behind the wheel.

Ultimately, I think you would miss the Corvette far more than the Escalade.

Stew on your choice for a while. Life is too short to not have a fun vehicle that allows some escape from the stresses.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Brad,

I have been thru situations similar to yours and can relate to your concerns.
FWIW, I recommend you NOT make any major decisions regarding your "Queen" or ANYTHING, for that matter just yet.
Right now your body needs to heal...concentrate on that.
You've taken a beating in more ways than one, and your emotions are naturally running higher than normal.
The car can wait; no harm in letting it rest in the garage while you rest.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Hope for a quick recovery.
However, how many accident have you had? How many more do you expect?
Most people die in a plane crash, including my parents, my brother walked away from 4.
He still flies!!
Hang on to that vette. I've wrecked a vette, pretty safe car too.

Get notified of new replies

To Life can change in an instant - Be Safe

Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
Glad to hear that you survived. Why not wait for a bit on deciding whether or not you sell your Z06?

You've just been through a hugely traumatic experience (both mental and physical) ... my thought: give yourself a chance to regroup physically and work things out mentally. The car isn't going anywhere, and any loss of value (if that's a concern) will be trivial over the time that you need now to get things healed up.

Good luck and God speed in your recovery.
I agree. Wait a little while before making the decision. Although not as violent of a wreck as yours I was involved in one when I was a teenager. It wasn't my fault since the person behind didn't know I was stopping for something in the road but they hit us hard. This was before seat belts were installed in cars and a little girl in the car that had hit us flew from the back seat and was jammed under the dash next to the heater box. When I saw her there I thought I had killed her. Luckily, she was OK after she woke up.

This was in the country and an ambulance was at least an hour away after we found a phone to make a call so we took the mother and girl to the hospital in our car. After that my father made me drive the car home. I was still shaking and didn't want to drive but he said when you fall off the horse you have to get right back on it or you will be too afraid to ride after that. So I drove home and I think that was one of the best things he ever made me do.

With your injuries you can't hop back on the horse right away but you should do so as soon as possible. Wait until then before making any decisions.

Bill
Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I learned how quickly life can change when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2014, which prompted me to sell my C5 and order a Z06. I wouldn't rush into selling your car. My C5 was a garage queen and I typically put 800-1000 miles on it a year. I've learned that every day is a precious gift and having a Corvette to drive when I choose is a part of that. It's good for my soul and it puts a smile on my face.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My $0.02

Let me start by saying that I am glad to read you are doing OK!

While I havent had a traumatic car accident, I have had several life experiences that have registered fairly high on trauma scale. My advice would be to not make any major decisions for the next 90 days. All life experience falls into a spectrum between "Emotional" and "Logical". Being emotional about a logical situation creates confusion just as being logical about an emotional situation creates confusion. Giving yourself some time to process will help determine where this situation solidifies and ultimately resides on this spectrum.

In the end, you may find the Corvette creates happiness in your life. Its also possible the opposite is true. I would never fault someone for getting rid of things they no longer get enjoyment from.

Take it one day at a time and I hope you feel better soon!

Quick Reply: Life can change in an instant - Be Safe