C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Flex fuel conversion requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
No, you can't. The C7 ECM keeps a record of every time a change or flash is made.

Higgs, when you put some gasoline in, and then some E-85 (or the reverse order), how long does it take the two to mix evenly? Presumably, whatever goes in first will go into the driver side tank (where the engine supply fuel pump is) until that side is full, and then the rest goes into the passenger side tank. The "jet pump" in the passenger side tank, which is always pushing fuel to the driver side tank will eventually mix the two pretty evenly, but how long does this take, and might the proportions be pretty far off right after a fillup?
it seems like after leaving a pump and making it about a mile the mixture has stabilized on the scanner for the rest of the tank.

I don't know how long it takes for the two sides of the tank to equalize though. Here is a link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...gas-tanks.html

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 02-23-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel

Wait... are you saying there are 2 fuel tanks? Are we driving big rigs here?? Naw, but seriously, that's a thing??? How does that even work?
Yes, there are two tanks. The left tank has the main fuel pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The right tank has a small pump which is constantly pumping into the left tank. This creates an excess in the left tank, which overflows back into the right tank through another connecting tube.

This system has the left tank staying completely full and overflowing until the right tank runs out of fuel.

When your fuel gauge is at the halfway mark, your left tank is full and the right tank is empty.

When your fuel gauge is at the quarter mark, your left tank is half-full and your right tank is empty.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (01-10-2020)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, you can't. The C7 ECM keeps a record of every time a change or flash is made.

Higgs, when you put some gasoline in, and then some E-85 (or the reverse order), how long does it take the two to mix evenly? Presumably, whatever goes in first will go into the driver side tank (where the engine supply fuel pump is) until that side is full, and then the rest goes into the passenger side tank. The "jet pump" in the passenger side tank, which is always pushing fuel to the driver side tank will eventually mix the two pretty evenly, but how long does this take, and might the proportions be pretty far off right after a fillup?
I have an E% gauge that reads from the flex fuel sensor. The mixture % starts to change pretty quickly when you add the opposite fuel that is currently in the tank and according to my gauge stabilizes after 7 to 15 minutes of driving. The flex fuel sensor reads E% of incoming fuel to the High-pressure pump so the ECM ethanol content adjustment is seamless if tuned correctly.
Harbgrogan (01-10-2020)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rflow306
I have an E% gauge that reads from the flex fuel sensor. The mixture % starts to change pretty quickly when you add the opposite fuel that is currently in the tank and according to my gauge stabilizes after 7 to 15 minutes of driving. The flex fuel sensor reads E% of incoming fuel to the High-pressure pump so the ECM ethanol content adjustment is seamless if tuned correctly.
Understood.
What I was partly wondering was whether prior to the fuel mixing completely, the E85 proportion might be so high that high-throttle operation would exceed the capacity of the fuel pumps.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Understood.
What I was partly wondering was whether prior to the fuel mixing completely, the E85 proportion might be so high that high-throttle operation would exceed the capacity of the fuel pumps.
the fuel pump's capacity does not depend on the flex fuel sensor reading.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
the fuel pump's capacity does not depend on the flex fuel sensor reading.
Right, but the volume of fuel required is higher with straight E-85, and can exceed the capacity of the pumps, so I was imagining a scenario where prior to being mixed with the gasoline to get E-40, the fuel pump might be drawing nearly straight E-85, and not be able to supply adequate fuel.

I think rflow answered my question, that the gasoline and the E-85 seem to be sufficiently mixed in about 7-15 minutes of driving.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Right, but the volume of fuel required is higher with straight E-85, and can exceed the capacity of the pumps, so I was imagining a scenario where prior to being mixed with the gasoline to get E-40, the fuel pump might be drawing nearly straight E-85, and not be able to supply adequate fuel.

I think rflow answered my question, that the gasoline and the E-85 seem to be sufficiently mixed in about 7-15 minutes of driving.
maybe if you leave gas stations like a bat out of hell, lol.

as I mentioned, mine has usually stabilized at about a mile of driving (but there is some stoplight driving going on in there.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
maybe if you leave gas stations like a bat out of hell, lol.
You don't?
I was actually thinking of something more like filling up at a racetrack, and how much time it might take to get the two fuels adequately mixed before making a full power pass.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

You don't?
I was actually thinking of something more like filling up at a racetrack, and how much time it might take to get the two fuels adequately mixed before making a full power pass.
that makes sense, my track doesn't have anything but race gas, no pump or ethanol. I really don't even like to go anymore, they don't even prep it. they have "No Prep" races so they can get away with it and pretend like they are capitalizing on Street Outlaws. they took it from a great track to a terrible track, which I am sure is what happens to most of them, unfortunately.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Viking0728
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-problems.html

I ordered a DSX Auxiliary Fuel Pump, I haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping this will be enough to solve my WOT issues.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Does the DSX pump feed an auxiliary injector or what is it doing
Old 02-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Viking0728
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Does the DSX pump feed an auxiliary injector or what is it doing
https://dsxtuning.com/collections/au...-2014-corvette

It supplements the Low Side Fuel Pump to sustain fuel delivery.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Well that works for me. I'm getting it dynoed in the morning for a baseline, so I'll go ahead and order a flexfuel hit and CAI and then do a dyno tune and post the results so people know the difference.
Hi, did you get a chance to evaluate the 'base' solution with just the flexfuel kit + CAI without a tune vs the same + tune? I am very interested to get your feedback? Thanks
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastmikefree
Hi, did you get a chance to evaluate the 'base' solution with just the flexfuel kit + CAI without a tune vs the same + tune? I am very interested to get your feedback? Thanks
Well I still haven't installed the flexfuel kit (it's been a long fiasco) but I did do the baseline dyno on a mustang dyno and the numbers were retarded. I got a higher number on my stingray (which I'm pretty sure is wrong as well), so I've disregarded that shop. The flexfuel kit isn't going to change performance by itself, just allows you to run e85. Need the tune to make it work. The shop that's going to do the tune for me will do a baseline dyno, so once I can finally get that done, I'll post the #s. I just got it out of the shop after it spent 6 months in there, and i was going to get the tune about a week ago, but had to cancel my appt. Hopefully will be able to get it done within the next month.
Fastmikefree (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you very much for the prompt reply! Appreciated.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:40 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

keep us updated.

I wanna run E85 on my Z with a stock engine. From what I've found, I just need the kit and a tune. The tune enables the flex fuel capability via the flex fuel sensor...

am I missing something?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel;1596646031 I've been doing research and I'm coming across some info saying you need bigger injectors and a beefier fuel pump due to the fact that you have to use a lot more ethanol than gas to get the same efficiency.[/b

You will need to boost the capacity of the low side fuel system if you want to run much E-85. Running full E-85 is going to require major changes to the fuel system. This is the reason for using a meth injection system, as advised by Billy, to supplement the fuel system. Meth is a high octane ethanol fuel which will extend the capacity of the stock injectors because it is injected into the intake system separately. The DSX flex fuel sensor system will automatically compensate for the % E-85 you are running. I would not recommend running E-85 unless you are willing to upgrade the low side fuel system.

In my case on my 2016 A8 running a single nozzle meth injection with a low side fuel pump upgrade & stock injectors I am able to safely run 50% E-85 with 93 pump. The HP improvement for using the 50% E-85 is 40 RWHP.

Having said that, I've also seen info where things like the DSX bolt on flexfuel conversion kit will allow the ECM to adjust as needed and makes it sound like no additional upgrades (aside from a tune) is required. If not, how much extra power do you get with just a tune? I'm planning on adding a CAI and probably a lower pulley as well, but I'm more focused on what the flexfuel conversion can do and what it requires right now. Any info would be appreciated!

A tune, low side pump upgrade at a minimum if you want to too get a decent HP & TQ return . With just a tune and the DSX I am not sure how much E-85 you can run and what to expect in gains safely because for sure you are going to run out of low side capacity before you run a significant % of E-85. One other thing you are going to need is a gauge readout for the ethanol % you are running so you do not exceed the safe % established when the car is tuned. One of the competent tuners on the forum like Billy can probably answer what to expect with just a DSX and a tune.

Last edited by jstewart; 05-09-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flex fuel conversion requirements

Old 05-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart
A tune, low side pump upgrade at a minimum if you want to too get a decent HP & TQ return . With just a tune and the DSX I am not sure how much E-85 you can run and what to expect in gains safely. One other thing you are going to need is a gauge readout for the ethanol % you are running so you do not exceed the safe % established when the car is tuned. One of the competent tuners on the forum like Billy can probably answer what to expect with just a DSX and a tune.
The way the tune has been broken down for me is as follows:
E85 requires 2 tunes. 93 Octane tune first, followed by removing fuel and adding E85 (multiple changes required to get ethanol content to 75 - 80% blend concentration), followed by E85 tune. After that, they then have to set up the flex fuel blend parameters so that the you can run any concentration of ethanol content from e10 - e80 and verify safe fueling and ignition parameters.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The way the tune has been broken down for me is as follows:
E85 requires 2 tunes. 93 Octane tune first, followed by removing fuel and adding E85 (multiple changes required to get ethanol content to 75 - 80% blend concentration), followed by E85 tune. After that, they then have to set up the flex fuel blend parameters so that the you can run any concentration of ethanol content from e10 - e80 and verify safe fueling and ignition parameters.
I am not a tuning guru. What I stated is based on tuning done on my car by Weapon X after they modified it for E-85 & meth injection. This is best left to the experts like Higgs. The 50% E-85 cut off Weapon X gave me as a cutoff point was based on a conservative safe tune based on my stock injectors. If I had added a second meth nozzle we could have increased the E-85 % further.

Last edited by jstewart; 05-07-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead - but has there been any progress made?

I am kicking around either running meth with full bolt ons or going the flex fuel route. Not sure what is easier. Seems like a lot of gray area here.

Quick Reply: Flex fuel conversion requirements