C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Electric exhaust cut outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Electric exhaust cut outs

I found an old thread on this, with not a lot of information.
Has anyone done this like they do on the show “Bitchin’ Rides”
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm interested in learning more as well.
Where is the best place to install the cutouts? Just before the mufflers?
Is there an unused fuse one can use to draw electric current?
Is there a way to route the controller into the cabin without making drilling any holes into the car?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Lots for sale on Ebay. Look under exhaust system electric cutout. Also easy find on net, Youtube, for installation. Numerous car vendors, Jegs, Cultrag (maybe-etc.). Most exhaust shops probably would do it for not a whole lot.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Kindigit said to install after O2 sensors and before mufflers. They sell their units.
Any affect on warranty?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Interested to hear thoughts on if it voids warranty
Old 02-23-2018, 09:07 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No one has done this?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
No one has done this?
a couple of guys on the c4 with their lt5 zr1’s and the c6 and 5 forums. You might see a c7z on YouTube with the cut outs.
Kindig uses qtp- quick time performance.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-23-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I did it a dozen years ago on my C6z, dumped just before the rear cradle. Cool factor because of sound, minimal HP gains. (4hp at the 585rwhp N/A level)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just looking for sound. No hp gain
Old 02-25-2018, 11:42 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

a couple of guys on the c4 with their lt5 zr1’s and the c6 and 5 forums. You might see a c7z on YouTube with the cut outs.
Kindig uses qtp- quick time performance.
Don't know if this will help much in the world of C7s, but I am one of the guys who did this on my '95 C4 ZR-1. Pretty extensive postings on the ZR-1 Net Registry forum, but here are a couple of pix. Several in our group did cutouts and most did them where the spare tire carrier would normally have been, where the pipes curve outward towards the mufflers. I wanted to keep my spare so I located the cutouts directly in front of the rear mufflers. In the ZR-1 exhaust systems the mufflers are the biggest bottleneck and can cost about 20-25 hp. I used cutouts from Quick Time Performance and bought them through Summit. I discarded the large toggle switch they included and fashioned my own. Used a rocker switch hidden under the carpet on the passenger side of the console. Details on the ZR-1 forum, and there are several threads here in the C4/ZR-1 forum like this one:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-bypass.html. Search for cutouts.

I decided to do this finally after years of loud exhaust systems I wanted to have the ability to have a quiet system or a loud one with better performance, not one all the time. I dumped the (excellent) Corsa system I had used on both ZR-1s for years and went to a stock '95 exhaust (which has a high-flow resonator and the cutouts in front of the stock mufflers. Stock quiet when closed and able to set off car alarms and scare pets and small children when wide open. (I had headers and no cats). I normally ran about 1/3 open for a nice rumble around town. Of course the ZR-1 had a much simpler exhaust system than the C7, but I hope that helps a little. --Bob
Attached Images     

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 02-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I found these two videos with cutouts on the C7. At least these offer ideas as to where to install the cutouts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqz_1q_HRt0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVB4h00i8A
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Don't know if this will help much in the world of C7s, but I am one of the guys who did this on my '95 C4 ZR-1. Pretty extensive postings on the ZR-1 Net Registry forum, but here are a couple of pix. Several in our group did cutouts and most did them where the spare tire carrier would normally have been, where the pipes curve outward towards the mufflers. I wanted to keep my spare so I located the cutouts directly in front of the rear mufflers. In the ZR-1 exhaust systems the mufflers are the biggest bottleneck and can cost about 20-25 hp. I used cutouts from Quick Time Performance and bought them through Summit. I discarded the large toggle switch they included and fashioned my own. Used a rocker switch hidden under the carpet on the passenger side of the console. Details on the ZR-1 forum, and there are several threads here in the C4/ZR-1 forum like this one:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-bypass.html. Search for cutouts.

I decided to do this finally after years of loud exhaust systems I wanted to have the ability to have a quiet system or a loud one with better performance, not one all the time. I dumped the (excellent) Corsa system I had used on both ZR-1s for years and went to a stock '95 exhaust (which has a high-flow resonator and the cutouts in front of the stock mufflers. Stock quiet when closed and able to set off car alarms and scare pets and small children when wide open. (I had headers and no cats). I normally ran about 1/3 open for a nice rumble around town. Of course the ZR-1 had a much simpler exhaust system than the C7, but I hope that helps a little. --Bob
zr1bob- that’s a nice exhaust setup and awesome lt5 zr-1 you have !

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-25-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Not really sure what the point of doing cutouts is when you can change the volume through the touch screen. Seems like a total waste of money. I have offroad pipes and an x-pipe. Pop it in stealth and I'm quiet as stock, put it in track and the gates of hell open wide.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Electric cutout is the most fun mod I've ever done to any car.

I always do it now to my new turbo projects.

Basically I use a stock-ish quiet "turbo muffler" on the car, really makes it quiet like stock after a turbo. So you can start the car in neighborhood, avoid attention.

Then whenever you want, full blast open donwnpipe. Turbine whistle. Reduced backpressure. And a bunch of people trying to figure out what the F@(#* that was.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Electric cutout is the most fun mod I've ever done to any car.

I always do it now to my new turbo projects.

Basically I use a stock-ish quiet "turbo muffler" on the car, really makes it quiet like stock after a turbo. So you can start the car in neighborhood, avoid attention.

Then whenever you want, full blast open donwnpipe. Turbine whistle. Reduced backpressure. And a bunch of people trying to figure out what the F@(#* that was.
you should install those cutouts before the turbo and sound even cooler.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have them on my C7Z; over 10k miles. Pretty much drive everywhere with them open. Also have the Corsa x-pipe. Will get some pics tonight.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (03-07-2019)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Kindigit said to install after O2 sensors and before mufflers. They sell their units.
Any affect on warranty?
I watched a local shop build a MUCH nicer setup than what people like Kindigit usually do but I don't think we'd have room under our cars.

What he did locally was to install the cutout in front of the muffler, but behind the O2 sensor, then route the dump's output around the muffler and back into the tailpipe. On the one pickup I saw (which of course is a lot different for packaging from a Z) the straight pipe was the staight path and the muffler'd path was the "bypass", so it can be done both ways.

So, when bypassed, you're not dumping you're getting straight pipes, which sounds nicer. And I guess that's pretty similar to what our mufflers already do internally.

But I thought it was a cool setup with no ground dumps!

Last edited by davepl; 02-27-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric exhaust cut outs

Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I
And I guess that's pretty similar to what our mufflers already do internally.
That's what I thought too. Looking at cutaway views of our stock mufflers, they're pretty much straight though with very little sound deadening when the flaps are open. I suppose one could get a rawer and louder sound if the cutouts were closer to the engine.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
That's what I thought too. Looking at cutaway views of our stock mufflers, they're pretty much straight though with very little sound deadening when the flaps are open. I suppose one could get a rawer and louder sound if the cutouts were closer to the engine.
For all intents and purposes, cutouts on the C7 are a waste of money.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you have the NPP system the C7 Z06 comes stock with cutouts. Go into the settings menu and program the exhaust into Track Mode the outlet valves stay open all the time. Straight pipes by touching a screen and it is all stock. Don't even have to futz around pulling a fuse.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Satanspawn (02-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Electric exhaust cut outs