C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Low dyno numbers?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 PM
ZR1-ab
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think the mph in the 1/4 mile tell the story for these cars. I see many doing 140+ mph in the 1/4. which would give them 800 hp or so. See there mods and it not = that many hp.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by shopteacher
A dyno is a tool. No one ever won a race on one. Select a dyno, a good operator, and make several runs to establish a baseline. Then modify as you see fit. You will probably need a tune. Using the same dyno and operator rerun and evaluate. When I ran a DynoJet. I usually did a final power check after a tune and a good cool down for bragging rights, running 4 or 5 times back to back to ensure there were no "ringers" either high or low. If you have the money and time, run after each mod and see how each one performs.
That's part of what I'm worried about. I'm not totally sure these guys know what they're doing since they dynoed my stingray way too high and my Z06 way too low, but my mustang just about right. At least if they were consistently high or low, I might be ok with it, but they're not consistent and consistency is what matters when you're looking to see what kind of gains you're making from your mods.

Originally Posted by 383vett
Another thing you could do is to bring a buddy with a stock Z06 with you and have him run before or after you in the same conditions. This will give you some reference. Again as mentioned a couple of passes at the strip will tell you all you need to know.
Unfortunately I neither have a local strip nor a buddy with a Z06. Hell I don't even have a buddy with a stingray. Closest thing is a coworker with a focus RS and a former coworker (whom I never see) with a GTR. I think what I probably need to do is just bite the bullet and go to the dynojet here in town just to get peace of mind. I'll post my results once I get them. I appreciate everyone's input. Lot of good ideas! Would definitely help if I had a local drag strip!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They said they'd check the fuel pressure, so we'll see what they say. I'll probably bite the bullet and take it to the track too. The nearest quarter mile track is 2 hours away, but meh. Do tracks still have the helmet requirement if you're under 12 seconds and roll cage if you're under 10 seconds? I haven't been to a drag strip since like 2000 when I was 18 and had a 240sx that was running 15s and I thought I was fast. I looked on their website and it didn't say anything about safety requirements.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They said they'd check the fuel pressure, so we'll see what they say. I'll probably bite the bullet and take it to the track too. The nearest quarter mile track is 2 hours away, but meh. Do tracks still have the helmet requirement if you're under 12 seconds and roll cage if you're under 10 seconds? I haven't been to a drag strip since like 2000 when I was 18 and had a 240sx that was running 15s and I thought I was fast. I looked on their website and it didn't say anything about safety requirements.
Not sure what the dealership is going to do checking the fuel pressure. If you had low pressure during a wot run, the motor would instantly go into limp mode to protect itself and throw a code (experience speaking here). You will need a helmet and a jacket.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I'm gonna say all have a helmet requirement, past that it varies by strip. Some require a flame suit below 10 seconds.

The car does have a built in 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer and if you have a PDR it can also do it there. All you need is a nice empty road in Mexico.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

There's an 8th mile strip around here somewhere, but no quarter mile. I have 0 interest in running an 8th mile as it doesn't tell you much.
Not so. The MPH will give you a VERY accurate HP picture, more accurate than the roller dynos will. And yes you will need a helmet and that helmet must be SNELL rated in the last couple of years (ie: your buddies dirt bike helmet from the garage won't help).

Now if you totally hazed the tires and failed to hook it up at all it'd throw it off, but not much.

Here's a calculator. You need the accurate scale weight with you and fuel at the track though, so if the track doesn't have a scale, not that helpful.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/hpcalculatoreigth.php

Last edited by davepl; 02-27-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1-ab
I don't think the mph in the 1/4 mile tell the story for these cars. I see many doing 140+ mph in the 1/4. which would give them 800 hp or so. See there mods and it not = that many hp.
Just compare with similarly modified cars. For example mine does around 132mph (on average) at around 620whp on a dynojet.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:29 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I just swapped out my C7 stingray for a C7 Z06 last weekend. Took it to the dyno today to get some numbers. Now this is a mustang dyno, so they numbers do run a little lower than a dynojet, but it showed up as 471. Anyone else seen numbers this low? (btw I also took my stock stingray to this shop and it put down 450, which seems way high) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gX...ature=youtu.be
I don't know what the numbers should be but when i was at Callaway last summer getting my 757 package done the engineer said that they have seen variations on there engine dyno of up to 40HP from stock ZO6 to stock ZO6.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I'm gonna say all have a helmet requirement, past that it varies by strip. Some require a flame suit below 10 seconds.

The car does have a built in 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer and if you have a PDR it can also do it there. All you need is a nice empty road in Mexico.
I haven't noticed a 1/4 mile timer. I've seen the 0-60 timer (the start and stop times are fully adjustable. could be 40-150 if you wanted). Where's the 1/4 mile timer? And seriously??? A fire suit??? I doubt I'll ever break into the 9s as I won't ever be running slicks, but still!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 PM
ZR1-ab
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default dyno hp vs mph hp

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
Just compare with similarly modified cars. For example mine does around 132mph (on average) at around 620whp on a dynojet.
This should be around 665 hp based on MPH. Depends on total weight of car at time of run.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Well the dealership did check the fuel pressure and said it was fine. The service advisor said they also did a diagnostic and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Given that and how I feel it performs compared to my stingray, I think the problem is with the guys running the mustang dyno. I'm still going to take it to the track within the next couple of weekends both for peace of mind and to get a baseline before I start putting mods on it (I've already ordered a halltech CAI and a flex fuel conversion). Here's something that concerns me though, out of the ihra safety rules http://www.ihra.com/images/2017/IHRA_2017_Rulebook.pdf

10.00 to 11.49 1/4 mile
6.50 to 7.49 1/8 mile
In addition to the following rules, also see IHRA Summit Sportsman Safety and General
Rules.

DRIVELINE: 1 Drive shaft loop mandatory on all entries.

FIRE EXTINGUISHERS: Properly secured fire extinguisher is required on all closed body
cars.
FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH: SFI 6.1. Flywheel shield, mandatory and clutch, pressure plate
and flywheel meeting SFI 1.1
FLEX PLATE: SFI 29.1 mandatory if vehicle exceeds 135 mph.

HELMET: SN, SA, M or K-2005 or newer mandatory.
MASTER CUTOFF: See General Regulations.
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Minimum, SFI 3.2A-5 jacket on open bodied entries.
Minimum 3.2A-1 jacket on closed body entries. Arm restraints are required on all open
bodied cars. Minimum SFI 3.3-1 gloves on open bodied entries.
ROLL CAGE/ROLL BAR: Roll cage is mandatory if entry has an altered floor or firewall,
or if vehicle exceeds 135 mph. Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running
10.00 to 11.49 ¼ mile or 6.50 to 7.35 1/8 mile, in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49
¼ mile or 7.00 to 8.25 1/8 mile and in all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00
seconds and slower ¼ mile or 7.50 1/8 mile.

So I need a driveshaft loop, a helmet, a fire extinguisher, a jacket, a "master cutoff" switch (which under the general rules elaborates that it has to have the word "off" clearly visible, which my "start" button does not) and an effin ROLL CAGE??? Is that all correct, or is there some exemption for stock cars in fine print somewhere??
Old 02-28-2018, 07:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by shopteacher
A dyno is a tool. No one ever won a race on one. Select a dyno, a good operator, and make several runs to establish a baseline. Then modify as you see fit. You will probably need a tune. Using the same dyno and operator rerun and evaluate. When I ran a DynoJet. I usually did a final power check after a tune and a good cool down for bragging rights, running 4 or 5 times back to back to ensure there were no "ringers" either high or low. If you have the money and time, run after each mod and see how each one performs.
I'm not sure the OP is talking about getting a tune because if he does, it could affect his warranty. It sounds like he's trying to find out if his car is down on power via taking it for a dyno check.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Well the dealership did check the fuel pressure and said it was fine. The service advisor said they also did a diagnostic and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Given that and how I feel it performs compared to my stingray, I think the problem is with the guys running the mustang dyno. I'm still going to take it to the track within the next couple of weekends both for peace of mind and to get a baseline before I start putting mods on it (I've already ordered a halltech CAI and a flex fuel conversion). Here's something that concerns me though, out of the ihra safety rules http://www.ihra.com/images/2017/IHRA_2017_Rulebook.pdf

10.00 to 11.49 1/4 mile
6.50 to 7.49 1/8 mile
In addition to the following rules, also see IHRA Summit Sportsman Safety and General
Rules.

DRIVELINE: 1 Drive shaft loop mandatory on all entries.

FIRE EXTINGUISHERS: Properly secured fire extinguisher is required on all closed body
cars.
FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH: SFI 6.1. Flywheel shield, mandatory and clutch, pressure plate
and flywheel meeting SFI 1.1
FLEX PLATE: SFI 29.1 mandatory if vehicle exceeds 135 mph.

HELMET: SN, SA, M or K-2005 or newer mandatory.
MASTER CUTOFF: See General Regulations.
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Minimum, SFI 3.2A-5 jacket on open bodied entries.
Minimum 3.2A-1 jacket on closed body entries. Arm restraints are required on all open
bodied cars. Minimum SFI 3.3-1 gloves on open bodied entries.
ROLL CAGE/ROLL BAR: Roll cage is mandatory if entry has an altered floor or firewall,
or if vehicle exceeds 135 mph. Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running
10.00 to 11.49 ¼ mile or 6.50 to 7.35 1/8 mile, in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49
¼ mile or 7.00 to 8.25 1/8 mile and in all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00
seconds and slower ¼ mile or 7.50 1/8 mile.

So I need a driveshaft loop, a helmet, a fire extinguisher, a jacket, a "master cutoff" switch (which under the general rules elaborates that it has to have the word "off" clearly visible, which my "start" button does not) and an effin ROLL CAGE??? Is that all correct, or is there some exemption for stock cars in fine print somewhere??
I would just take a valid helmet and pants if they ask you how fast the car is just tell them 11.50. Even if the car runs high 10's you will most likely go unnoticed.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by rflow306
I would just take a valid helmet and pants if they ask you how fast the car is just tell them 11.50. Even if the car runs high 10's you will most likely go unnoticed.
Ehhhhhh. Maybe if it was just right down the street, but at a close to 5 hour round trip, I wouldn't want to get kicked out after just 1 pass. Guess I can call and see how strict they are
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default You can go down to 10.00/135mph if 'stock' with approved helmet.

My understanding is that some of the newer OEM cars i.e. Hellcat, C7/Z06, etc. (according to the new rules) are allowed to run down to 10.00 and up to 135 MPH in the 1/4 if "Stock". I should know because I have been to different MD tracks (Capitol, Cecil, MIR) a number of times with my 10 second C7/Z06 coupe.

I fill out the form and where you enter your 'expected' ET I write 11/10 in that spot, if asked by the tech inspector (by the way some are lenient with the car inspection. Example: Drag Radials may be considered oem/street tires & not pay attention to whatever CAI you may have installed, some inspectors don't ever ask you to open the hood on these 'new' cars) However l say I really don't know what it's going to run which is a true statement i.e. anywhere from 11's down to 10.00

However you will need that approved helmet, long pants, shoes and "maybe" (not sure because I always have one) an approved fire jacket but from my readings here most likely not.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-28-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
My understanding is that some of the newer OEM cars i.e. Hellcat, C7/Z06, etc. (according to the new rules) are allowed to run down to 10.00 and up to 135 MPH in the 1/4 if "Stock". I should know because I have been to different MD tracks (Capitol, Cecil, MIR) a number of times with my 10 second C7/Z06.

I fill out the form and where you enter your 'expected' ET I write 11/10 in that spot, it asked by the tech inspector (by the way some are lenient with the car inspection. Example: Drag Radials may be considered oem/street tires & not pay attention to whatever CAI you may have installed, some inspectors don't ever ask you to open the hood on these 'new' cars) l say I really don't know what it's going to run which is a true statement i.e. anywhere from 11's down to 10.00

However you will need that approved helmet, long pants, shoes and "maybe" (not sure because I always have one) an approved fire jacket but from my readings here most likely not.

You don't happen to know where this rule is? I'm not seeing it in the official rules, but it's stupid long so I could be missing it. I've called the track 3 times today and just keep getting voicemail. I'm guessing they don't have "office hours" as it were. Probably no one is there unless it's a track day, I'm guessing

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-28-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

You don't happen to know where this rule is? I'm not seeing it in the official rules, but it's stupid long so I could be missing it. I've called the track 3 times today and just keep getting voicemail. I'm guessing they don't have "office hours" as it were. Probably no one is there unless it's a track day, I'm guessing
I don't have a rule book. There was something on here about these OEM high performance car rules and I have talked with track personal about this too in the last few years. That's one reason I went with the 2015 Z06 instead of supercharging my 2010 GrandSport, if I would of done the GS I would of needed a roll bar below 11.50 by the rule book I believe. I know in the past after talking with track personal about this and maybe they having to call the tower I have not had any problems. You will see a lot of new 10 second cars at the track on test and tune sessions with a number of them on drag radials.

Maybe try search, Goggle, etc.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-28-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Low dyno numbers?

Old 02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Maybe try search, Goggle, etc.
With all the razzing people get for asking questions on forums, you can bet your sweet *** I EXHAUSTED google searching before I asked on here. I even called (and emailed) the track I'd be going to several times and just got voicemail.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Equipment required will pretty much depend on the track, the event, and whether the track and event are sanctioned by a group like the IHRA.

Sometimes I've been able to race with little more than an ancient worn-out helmet, and other times I've been required to wear a fire suit.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 PM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

My understanding is that some of the newer OEM cars i.e. Hellcat, C7/Z06, etc. (according to the new rules) are allowed to run down to 10.00 and up to 135 MPH in the 1/4 if "Stock". I should know because I have been to different MD tracks (Capitol, Cecil, MIR) a number of times with my 10 second C7/Z06 coupe.

I fill out the form and where you enter your 'expected' ET I write 11/10 in that spot, if asked by the tech inspector (by the way some are lenient with the car inspection. Example: Drag Radials may be considered oem/street tires & not pay attention to whatever CAI you may have installed, some inspectors don't ever ask you to open the hood on these 'new' cars) However l say I really don't know what it's going to run which is a true statement i.e. anywhere from 11's down to 10.00

The no front splitter crew no wonder its fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low dyno numbers?