C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Low dyno numbers?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:48 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Low dyno numbers?

I just swapped out my C7 stingray for a C7 Z06 last weekend. Took it to the dyno today to get some numbers. Now this is a mustang dyno, so they numbers do run a little lower than a dynojet, but it showed up as 471. Anyone else seen numbers this low? (btw I also took my stock stingray to this shop and it put down 450, which seems way high) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gX...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
I just swapped out my C7 stingray for a C7 Z06 last weekend. Took it to the dyno today to get some numbers. Now this is a mustang dyno, so they numbers do run a little lower than a dynojet, but it showed up as 471. Anyone else seen numbers this low? (btw I also took my stock stingray to this shop and it put down 450, which seems way high) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gX...ature=youtu.be
Too low!
Something is a miss? A8 or M7 ?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Too low!
Something is a miss? A8 or M7 ?
Yeah, I'm just hoping it's not the car. The car is immeasurably more powerful than my stingray was, so I don't think that's the case. It's a manual trans. Do autos still put down less power to the wheels, or have they engineered that out?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM
TurboVic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry too much, just go to a different shop with a dyno jet.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboVic
Don't worry too much, just go to a different shop with a dyno jet.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that as there's one here in town, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen that too. Not that it's a ton of money, but don't really want to waste another 100 bucks if this is a common thing. Also I want to make sure I have an accurate baseline before i throw on mods so that I know exactly what kinds of gains I'm getting
Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

25 bucks will get you into Wednesday night racing at our local track. You can get at least 5 runs depending on when you are eliminated. The trap speed will be an indicator of your horsepower. Do you have a strip nearby?
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
25 bucks will get you into Wednesday night racing at our local track. You can get at least 5 runs depending on when you are eliminated. The trap speed will be an indicator of your horsepower. Do you have a strip nearby?
There's an 8th mile strip around here somewhere, but no quarter mile. I have 0 interest in running an 8th mile as it doesn't tell you much. I remember when I got the really high dyno number on my stingray, people said I should check my 40-100 time. Is there a speed range like that for the Z06? 450 is kind of an odd speed for the Z since that's still 1st gear
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM
TXRR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine dynoed at 500. Turns out the fuel pump was only running at 500psi vs 1900psi. Had to replace the pump then it dynoed at 680 with mods
Old 02-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

how does the car feel when driving?

I have a new 2017 m7z bought day after thanksgiving. And it’s underwhelming to say the least when I get on it in 2nd ,3rd and 4th. I am thinking it’s either break in or something not right from the factory with the tune or boost or something. When we get back from vacation next month I am taking it in to get alignment checked and to run diagnostics on it.

Our c7z’s should dyno 540 to 560. Another guy here with an otherwise stock c7z m7 - think his handle is 3lz06 and he puts down 600 + with just a Halltech CAI and no tune if I recall correctly
Old 02-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRR
Mine dynoed at 500. Turns out the fuel pump was only running at 500psi vs 1900psi. Had to replace the pump then it dynoed at 680 with mods
maybe that explains why I think mine is lacking on performance and gets great gas mileage. When I take it in next month I’ll demand the dealer check the fuel pressure.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

how does the car feel when driving?

I have a new 2017 m7z bought day after thanksgiving. And it’s underwhelming to say the least when I get on it in 2nd ,3rd and 4th. I am thinking it’s either break in or something not right from the factory with the tune or boost or something. When we get back from vacation next month I am taking it in to get alignment checked and to run diagnostics on it.

Our c7z’s should dyno 540 to 560. Another guy here with an otherwise stock c7z m7 - think his handle is 3lz06 and he puts down 600 + with just a Halltech CAI and no tune if I recall correctly
It feels WAY stronger than the stingray. 6th gear pulls harder than 4th in the stingray. I will have the dealership check the fuel pressure and run a diagnostic though!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-23-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 PM
383vett
Race Director

There's an 8th mile strip around here somewhere, but no quarter mile. I have 0 interest in running an 8th mile as it doesn't tell you much. I remember when I got the really high dyno number on my stingray, people said I should check my 40-100 time. Is there a speed range like that for the Z06? 450 is kind of an odd speed for the Z since that's still 1st gear
1/4 mile would be better, but the trap speed of an 1/8 mile run will work. If you are 102-105 you are in the correct range. if you are below that, find another dyno to confirm. Remember, you are not concerned with et but trap speed.
The Rock1 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

If it's not a dynojet brand the actual numbers are basically meaningless and can vary dramatically based on load factors, correction factors, and other things that have nothing to do with actual performance.
BLKTA (02-23-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
If it's not a dynojet brand the actual numbers are basically meaningless and can vary dramatically based on load factors, correction factors, and other things that have nothing to do with actual performance.
Well according to what I've read, Mustang dynos are supposed to be the most accurate (albeit lower) as they provide "real world" scenarios to give you the best possible tuning situation. Now I don't know this first hand, it's just what I've been told. I also don't know jack about running a dyno and I'm given to understand you can change some inputs and have the numbers vary wildly (being mustang or dynojet) and maybe those guys loaded the wrong inputs or something. No idea. One thing I do know is that it feels WAY stronger than 20hp more than my stingray. I don't know for sure that it's at its peak and the folks that have posted about issues themselves makes me want to have a diagnostic run, so I appreciate all that info. I'm dropping it off tuesday to get the android auto update and the new MRC recalibration done anyway. I'll just tell them my dyno numbers were low and I'm worried it isn't putting out its full potential and ask them to run a diag as well.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

" I'll just tell them my dyno numbers were low and I'm worried it isn't putting out its full potential and ask them to run a diag as well. "

Hope your dealer is better then the ones around me, they would say no codes, all's good.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 AM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Well according to what I've read, Mustang dynos are supposed to be the most accurate (albeit lower) as they provide "real world" scenarios to give you the best possible tuning situation. Now I don't know this first hand, it's just what I've been told. I also don't know jack about running a dyno and I'm given to understand you can change some inputs and have the numbers vary wildly (being mustang or dynojet) and maybe those guys loaded the wrong inputs or something. No idea. One thing I do know is that it feels WAY stronger than 20hp more than my stingray. I don't know for sure that it's at its peak and the folks that have posted about issues themselves makes me want to have a diagnostic run, so I appreciate all that info. I'm dropping it off tuesday to get the android auto update and the new MRC recalibration done anyway. I'll just tell them my dyno numbers were low and I'm worried it isn't putting out its full potential and ask them to run a diag as well.
A load dyno like the mustang allows the operator to change the drum weight, load, elevation and even have a dynojet correction which inflates the numbers . The dynojets do not allow the operator to alter the drum weight only the elevation. They do read higher but in my opinion they are the best at measuring the delta for different mods. A general rule is to look at the correction factor number, anything above 1.03 is usually to high imo. I always like to compare the uncorrected and corrected numbers.

Last edited by rflow306; 02-24-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 AM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A dyno is a tool. No one ever won a race on one. Select a dyno, a good operator, and make several runs to establish a baseline. Then modify as you see fit. You will probably need a tune. Using the same dyno and operator rerun and evaluate. When I ran a DynoJet. I usually did a final power check after a tune and a good cool down for bragging rights, running 4 or 5 times back to back to ensure there were no "ringers" either high or low. If you have the money and time, run after each mod and see how each one performs.

Get notified of new replies

To Low dyno numbers?

Old 02-24-2018, 01:07 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

MDs are great for tuning on but awful for actual numbers, marketing, or internet comparisons. I'm just warning you to prevent you wasting more money or aggravation. If you want numbers that resemble what you see others post around here then find yourself a dynojet machine. Or better yet, screw the dyno, and hit the local 1/4 mile track.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:33 PM
383vett
Race Director

Another thing you could do is to bring a buddy with a stock Z06 with you and have him run before or after you in the same conditions. This will give you some reference. Again as mentioned a couple of passes at the strip will tell you all you need to know.
The Rock1 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 01:25 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Just take it to the track! The 1/8 mile is fine, just compare it with others. See post above.^^^ or the one above that.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-25-2018 at 01:28 AM.
The Rock1 (02-27-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low dyno numbers?