C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Horsepower numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Higgs has a pretty solid track record of providing useful and accurate information. You, not so much.
Just sour grapes from you since you lost every single discussion about the reason the A8 has quicker 60ft then the M7!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Just sour grapes from you since you lost every single discussion about the reason the A8 has quicker 60ft then the M7!
that's why no one likes you. he "lost" the discussions? this is not a competition, we are here to help each other and you get mad when you consistently get called out for providing bad information.

if you read the pdf you posted, it says "most" dynos cannot recreate load, meaning dynojets, just like I posted originally. go back and read it. I will say it again, manuals and dynojets it is more important to be in 4th.

you still haven't proved your point.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:32 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
No it won't. Prove me wrong, big guy. I've got my claim staked above, I won't backtrack, now's your shot.

Bust out the ninth grade physics text and 'splain why it matters what gear you're in. It doesn't (beyond the computer measuring stuff I mentioned).

I say that dyno'ing in 4th or 5th or 6th is all about the same, except for friction differences. One of us is TOTALLY wrong.
It does matter, and you are wrong. 1:1 is the best choice for a manual transmission because the twisting force doesn't have to go through different gears to get from the front of the transmission to the drive shaft. Any time you have to change the flow through gears you lose energy due to friction. That's why transmissions and rear ends get hot. Lost energy.

Last edited by 6Speeder; 02-28-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:45 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
It does matter, and you are wrong. 1:1 is the best choice for a manual transmission because the twisting force doesn't have to go through different gears to get from the front of the transmission to the drive shaft. Any time you have to change the flow through gears you lose energy due to friction. That's why transmissions and rear ends get hot. Lost energy.
You might be picturing 1:1 as direct drive on the input shaft with no other gears involved, but it's usually not. I don't think it CAN be in any system where you need a reverse idler, it HAS to be decoupled. But I'm not a transmission guy. The number of gears involved (especially on the 8L90E or really anything with a planetary) isn't always obvious, and it certainly isn't 1 in fourth gear.

This is true of the M7 as well, though I would admit that if the input shaft simply couples to the output shaft with a collar, for example, that's the lowest friction case even though lots of other gears are still idling in there. I'll ignore that you're raising friction while I said "except for friction" for now. :-)

Nonetheless, that's nothing to do with what the other guy is claiming, which is that the gear multiplication matters.

Check out this video:

Last edited by davepl; 02-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:13 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Horse power numbers

question if you go 1:1 in forth in manual and fifth in auto, since they have different rear gears would they still make the same horse? And I like the vette comradery here, how everyone gets along
Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

What mph on the dyno in 6th gear with A8 ?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
that's why no one likes you. he "lost" the discussions? this is not a competition, we are here to help each other and you get mad when you consistently get called out for providing bad information.

if you read the pdf you posted, it says "most" dynos cannot recreate load, meaning dynojets, just like I posted originally. go back and read it. I will say it again, manuals and dynojets it is more important to be in 4th.

you still haven't proved your point.
So your trying to say I have no friends? HAHA! So you lost the argument. You cannot post one single thing to support what your saying so you turn to trying knock others nice try but.
I have lots friends check my PM box sometime. I proved my point it is YOU that failed to prove a single thing! I can post a lot more links to dyno operation but some people cannot and will never admit when they are wrong no shortage of those people your one of them.

I call tell you KNOW your argument is WEAK and you failed to prove a thing because now you have turned to derogatory statements about others. Then your "it's old information line" holds no water either. I posted two links that back up what I said AS correct.

Try again!
Dyno's have been the same for a long time.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 PM
MMM15ZO6
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I got your raggedy man DANGLING! Flail away! You posts are a fail to prove or a show a single fact .More bunk than anything!
Here you go again, being a complete AZZHOLE. All you typical want to do is banter with forum member. I could care less how many cars you have.... If you are not arguing wit us, your bragging about your stable. Grow up and get a life pal.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

There are some people in this world that I am glad to not have as a next door neighbor.
The following 2 users liked this post by breakskeet:
BuLion (03-01-2018), MMM15ZO6 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnpars
[left]question if you go 1:1 in forth in manual and fifth in auto, since they have different rear gears would they still make the same horse?
The difference in rear end ratios should make very little difference in horsepower, if the software on the dyno is calibrated correctly.

The chassis dyno is calculating horsepower from a combination of rear wheel speed and rear wheel torque. Change the rear end ratio to raise the wheel speed, and the wheel torque will go down. Change the rear end ratio to increase wheel torque, and the speed will go down. The horsepower calculated from these two contributing factors will remain about the same.

There are some minor caveats, like rolling resistance increasing with wheel speed, or too much wheel torque exceeding the traction between the tires and the rollers.

This is slightly different from using different transmission ratios. If the transmission has a 1:1 ratio in which the power goes straight through without traveling through any countershafts or gearsets (and not all transmissions do), this is likely to produce lower frictional losses than using another gear.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

So your trying to say I have no friends? HAHA! So you lost the argument. You cannot post one single thing to support what your saying so you turn to trying knock others nice try but.
I have lots friends check my PM box sometime. I proved my point it is YOU that failed to prove a single thing! I can post a lot more links to dyno operation but some people cannot and will never admit when they are wrong no shortage of those people your one of them.

I call tell you KNOW your argument is WEAK and you failed to prove a thing because now you have turned to derogatory statements about others. Then your "it's old information line" holds no water either. I posted two links that back up what I said AS correct.

Try again!
Dyno's have been the same for a long time.
whatever you need to feel good about yourself.
MMM15ZO6 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sadly, you have so little comprehension and situational awareness that you really have no clue whether someone has "won or lost".

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-01-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

One of the main reasons to run on a DynoJet in a nearly 1:1 transmission ratio is the way the dyno works. It uses a sampling method that converts many individual sampling points into a usable linear graph. If you run in a lower gear, your sampling points are too close together and therefore don't accurately represent what took place. Too high of a transmission gear creates excessive speed of the dyno drum (weighs 5000 lbs or more) which gives no increase in accuracy with an increase in mechanical risk. YouTube "Dyno Tire Failures."
Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I think the smoke in Oregon is getting thicker as time goes on. Our forum buddy is one example why the stuff shouldn't be legalized. What it does long term to brain cells is obvious and sad. There is no connect.
MMM15ZO6 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:33 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MMM15ZO6
Here you go again, being a complete AZZHOLE. All you typical want to do is banter with forum member. I could care less how many cars you have.... If you are not arguing wit us, your bragging about your stable. Grow up and get a life pal.
Hey maybe who called names would be the proper guy to be putting your family names on. The conversation went south at that point.
You fail to notice I stay civil till the names start and then they keep going on with no facts.
There is pages of Dyno operation and all say use 1-1

I provide some links but you can buy some books but they eat the covers.
At least 7 of my cars and previous cars have been on dyno's both Dyno jet and Mustang. I do know they need to be in 4th gear or 1-1 on the A8
I think you figure out which one to use to the most close to 1-1 on Auto's
I was calling out Bogus info like some one spewing "you can use any gear doesn't matter which Is pure BS. Then then they called me names! maybe you better look again! When that's not arguing that is enlightening!

Try being friendly you sound mad!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-03-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:45 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 383vett
I think the smoke in Oregon is getting thicker as time goes on. Our forum buddy is one example why the stuff shouldn't be legalized. What it does long term to brain cells is obvious and sad. There is no connect.
I was right on all points and was called names that's what they resort to
When your cupboard full of knowledge is empty.
That is no connect my friend!
California Cliff diving by the locals
Attached Images  

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-03-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:00 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Hey old Buddy glad you chimed in! Thanks for the correct points! Least you know what is correct and what is not with out the politics affecting your answers.

Get notified of new replies

To Horsepower numbers

Old 03-03-2018, 01:20 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Sadly, you have so little comprehension and situational awareness that you really have no clue whether someone has "won or lost".
Thanks I needed that!
Coming from you that means a lot!
Lets see how did that go? The A8 has a quicker 60ft which leads to the faster 1/4 mile because it shifts faster than the M7 which doesn't shift during the 0-60? I think that was it! Or was it the standard your a lousy driver story and some coming from a A8 would and could do better?
Not sure which one it was though? Since the answer only made sense to you!
Since it cannot be because of the 30 percent lower 1st gear over all ratio! 7.89 vs 10.99
Which is 30 percent more TQ to the rear wheel! That's where you want your max push!
Old 03-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks I needed that!
Coming from you that means a lot!
Lets see how did that go? The A8 has a quicker 60ft which leads to the faster 1/4 mile because it shifts faster than the M7 which doesn't shift during the 0-60? I think that was it! Or was it the standard your a lousy driver story and some coming from a A8 would and could do better?
See, you're as confused now as you were then.
(Or maybe more so.)

Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

1:1, 4th gear...you all got it wrong, the only dyno that matters and is the best measure is the butt dyno!

Quick Reply: Horsepower numbers