C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8

Booked my Corvette owners course for May 7 & 8. Crazy excited to be going! Anyone else going on these dates?
They freaked me out a bit with the $10,000 deductible on the Z06 we take on the track. When I asked if I could buy insurance to bring the deductible down they said no. Does everyone just hope for the best?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:55 PM
BuLion
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizz
Booked my Corvette owners course for May 7 & 8. Crazy excited to be going! Anyone else going on these dates?
They freaked me out a bit with the $10,000 deductible on the Z06 we take on the track. When I asked if I could buy insurance to bring the deductible down they said no. Does everyone just hope for the best?

You won't have a problem. I went Friday and Saturday this last week...absolute blast, totally hooked and would/will go back for Level 1/2.
The following users liked this post:
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

As long as you listen to the instructors and do what they tell you to do, you won't have a problem.
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Hrlyrdr22
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree with above comments. Its a blast, just listen to the instructors and you'll be fine. They let you run in track PTM Sport 1. The car wont let you get to out of control with this set-up. Enjoy!
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

I’ll be there the 7th and 8th as well
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm almost positive they allowed someone to buy their deductible down when I was there last year. It was either $200 or $400 to buy the deductible down to $2000. I wouldn't sweat it too much though, they were pretty safety conscious and separated the drivers into groups based on performance on the first day. I think we only had one person spin out over the two days. Take your spouse, they let them ride along in the instructors car and I even got my wife a couple hot laps with one of the instructors....now she's bugging me to go and participate as a driver.

Last edited by smurfmacaw; 03-01-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Hrlyrdr22
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfmacaw
I'm almost positive they allowed someone to buy their deductible down when I was there last year. It was either $200 or $400 to buy the deductible down to $2000. I wouldn't sweat it too much though, they were pretty safety conscious and separated the drivers into groups based on performance on the first day. I think we only had one person spin out over the two days. Take your spouse, they let them ride along in the instructors car and I even got my wife a couple hot laps with one of the instructors....now she's bugging me to go and participate as a driver.
Not for a Z06 or grand sport. Only Z51 I believe.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Pizz
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry M
I’ll be there the 7th and 8th as well
excellent. See you there!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Pizz
Racer

Thanks. I am bringing my wife. Good to hear she can ride along.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 PM
mickey3
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 10k?

Congrats! Freaked me out too. Just consider it as a possible expense, if that is a financial deal breaker, then do not attend. I think it is good business for the school to put some of our "skin" in the game, no telling what we would do at a zero deductible I determined in advance that I would be careful and drive within my limits. I tried to hit the apexes and drive the proper line knowing that would produce a fast lap. My instructor told me managment requires them to drive at 9 tenths or less on the ride along lap. Not sure if they actually follow that policy. Have fun.
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

It freaked me out at first too, but makes sense. After having gone a year ago tomorrow it is an amazing experience...and you’d have to be driving like a complete *** hat to do that kind of damage. We had a classsmate go off the course at speed and they were VERY worried. After an inspection, no damage was charged as she was following instructor direction and did as she was told when she went off (and didn’t make matters worse). Go and have a blast.
Pizz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:54 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

You'll be fine, just don't get into the mindset you want to be the fastest guy there. Just listen and learn, great bunch of staff out there. I've been 2 times and getting ready to book #3, and I've only seen 1 guy go off and he didn't hurt the car. Lots of runoff area, not a lot to hit but if a car does go off, lots of gravel in the wheels so they will pull the car and check it before sending it out again. Enjoy!!
Pizz (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

I think they only let you buy extra insurance if you are driving a Stingray. For Z06's you are on your own. Not unlike any other track day, except you are only risking $10K instead of your whole car (unless you buy track insurance).

I have done a ton of track days and not had a problem. I went back to Spring Mountain for Level 2, which is much more open lapping than COS, and.....no problem. As previously posted, just don't try to be the fastest guy there. Stay within your limits (don't worry about the car's limits....you will never get there), listen to the instructors, and have yourself some fun.

In conversations with them, as I recall the number of actual damage claims that they have is almost.....zero.
Pizz (03-02-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:30 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Probably very few serious accidents for owners school? wonder how many serious ones they had, but sounds like it's pretty safe and good school.
Pizz (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Instructor told us most run offs generally just require an alignment fee, unless driver is hopeless.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

isn't run offs normal, once awhile you will run it off the track.

what do they charge for alignment fee
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Was $150

Get notified of new replies

To Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8

Old 03-04-2018, 07:31 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
isn't run offs normal, once awhile you will run it off the track.

what do they charge for alignment fee
runoffs are normal if you're a moron and don't listen to what the instructors tell you to do.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:28 AM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

All the track time is lead follow. They keep the first day relatively sedate so you can learn the course. After the first day they separate you into groups based on their assessment of how well you drive the course so the faster, more experienced students can go faster as a group and not leave less advanced drivers in the dust (where they might get crazy and run off the track). The instructors are pretty good and will challenge you on the second day. Usually two laps behind the instructor then rotate. I don't think anyone ran off the track when they were behind the instructor car, it was when they were tail end charlie and turned in early on one of the faster turns.
Pizz (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

All the track time is lead follow. They keep the first day relatively sedate so you can learn the course. After the first day they separate you into groups based on their assessment of how well you drive the course so the faster, more experienced students can go faster as a group and not leave less advanced drivers in the dust (where they might get crazy and run off the track). The instructors are pretty good and will challenge you on the second day. Usually two laps behind the instructor then rotate. I don't think anyone ran off the track when they were behind the instructor car, it was when they were tail end charlie and turned in early on one of the faster turns.
The real eye opener is the instructor ride along. While they are supposedly supposed to not get crazy (you don't wear a helmet even) it was WAY faster than I had driven and very instructive.......they intentionally wait for the ride along to keep you sane while learning the course. I had no idea just how sticky the car was on corners and the whole idea of throttle steering was an eyeopener for me....Subsequent laps were more "spirited" and fun. The instructors are willing to push you to the edge of your ability when you are behind them so you'll get to drive to your ability. I get another GM sponsorship for buying the Callaway SC757 so I guess my wife gets that one.....Gotta find a couple grand more to drive too lol.

Quick Reply: Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8