C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Nurburgring update

Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 PM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Just looked at the video misha posted, the car seems to teleport on any straight, so power is there, brake for sure looks to be there, downforce etc. Things just needs to work out with time, noise, traffic etc.

For me what made me much faster on the ring was the first time I did sportauto perfection training, we worked on sectioning the track, doing the same section over and over and over and over, also walking out on the track and seeing what was on camber and off camber and that the ideal raceline wasnt really the ideal line, but dependant on angle and how it was built. Also some places was possible to much faster than I ever thought, and opposite in some places, I was close to the edge where I shouldnt be. For most tracks I could just do normal laps and work on sections but for the ring it was very different. Track opening times and traffic used to be very different, I would rent a bed at a little old ladies house, and just drive every day, all day for 2-3 weeks during summer vacation, there was not enough cars to even fill up the closest parking. Doing 20-30 in a day wasnt an issue.

For me simulators never does the ring any justice, the quirks on the track makes it much harder to simulate, you get the what goes where after what blind turn, but doesnt let you feel it. so Meeeehhhh for thoose on the ring, on tracks like spa-francorchamps, gp strecke etc they are more usefull. Next year will be my 20'th year of driving on the nürburgring and I keep learning new things, (also they keep makeing it flatter).

Hope to see more corvettes at the ring next year, if someone has some nice dates and going over from the US, let me know and I will try to make it, I have a nice 1600km drive to get there, but still shorter than most of you guys . Also if you have some cool track events in the US let me know, I got a ton of frequent flyer miles I have to use! might as well use for fun.

Keep at it Lou, you will get there

Last edited by andersnor; 10-30-2018 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LG Motorsports (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:57 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigface1
That's going to put Ferrari's red panties in a knot. lol
Ferrari never cared about any track other than their own test track though, did they? Pretty smart move on their behalf really. Porsche might have been worried, but then they just did a 6:40 with a car modified by Manthey Racing (still road legal though. No details on what they did yet but suspension and aero have been mentioned)
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Is this the type of crap manufacturers go through when they want to go for a lap record? If so then I can relate to why GM backed off with C7's.
LG Motorsports (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Is this the type of crap manufacturers go through when they want to go for a lap record? If so then I can relate to why GM backed off with C7's.
The manufacturers actually rent the track for private sessions. This is why you do not see them passing cars in the videos where record-setting laps occur. They also understand the rules and regulations prior to shipping cars half way around the world.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:56 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

MOre I think of it, more I tend to think (and agree) with those who said, forget the "Ring---go set track records all over the US.

There's at least one great one in TX now, at least a couple/three in CA, 1 or so in VA, 1 in WI, OH, NY, GA, etc.

Look, it's pretty darned hard here, too, with respect to noise (they cancelled the Cadillac GP after 1 time in Wash. DC due to neighbors and noise). But at least there are real tracks with realistic noise meters, and it's not trying to get things thru Customs of another country!!!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:29 PM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll see many manufacturers of parts or vehicles who cares about the ring will have their own branch at Nurburgring so they can drive it as often as they need to without having to export across the Atlantic.

They usually pool the ring to themselves between april and Oct. Google "nurburgring industry-pool days"

Some examples of manufacturers that has facility right at the ring:
  • GM (Yes they are there!)
  • Hyundai
  • BMW
  • Jaguar
  • Aston Martin
  • Bilstein
  • Ohlins
  • Ford
  • Nissan
  • etc...
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Most tire companies working with these others as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Axelrod
The manufacturers actually rent the track for private sessions. This is why you do not see them passing cars in the videos where record-setting laps occur. They also understand the rules and regulations prior to shipping cars half way around the world.
We understood the rules before we shipped the car. We tested it exactly as they said they measured the sound and we brought more mufflers just in case.

the reality is that they do not to the 45 Degree 3 meters away test. NOT once did they do that because we were well under that noise limit.

they say that they test at track side and must be 130db or under. We tested a 120 mph drive by at just a few feet away and we were well under the 130 as well. S

then when we got there nothing was the same. and Nothing measured the anywhere near where we measured. IN ADDITION. not even a Stock C7 muffler set up can pass nor can a stock set up with 2 extra mufflers. ALSO changing the stock muffler out for a really good racing muffler got us the closest but in the end

we had to add a set of high flow cats to the rear tail pipes to just add that little bit extra. And we passed but really killed the hp.

I never got to run anything but practice laps and only a total of 4 laps on the full track. the rest of my miles on track were during tourist days with hundreds of cars on track AND each day we were running during Tourist days, we got thrown off 10 different days. for the entire day. Only to come back the next day with some new

muffler set up..

Nothing is ever a total waste. We plan on going back at some point and rent the entire track for some "Corvette track day" and set aside at least 1 hour for a real hard lap.

LG
The following 3 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
4turbos (11-10-2018), NSFW (11-08-2018), NTMD8R (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like a real conspiracy of sound ****'s.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 AM
LG Motorsports

Just a note: While I was there a new Corvette ZR1 was also there................ It got thrown off for being too loud and it was totally stock.

So it wasn't just my car it was all C7 Supercharged cars. Maybe we will have to do a twin turbo version to take over there. :-)

LG
Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 893 Likes on 537 Posts

:
Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Just a note: While I was there a new Corvette ZR1 was also there................ It got thrown off for being too loud and it was totally stock.

So it wasn't just my car it was all C7 Supercharged cars. Maybe we will have to do a twin turbo version to take over there. :-)

LG
Great effort Lou. You’re living the dream, not just sitting behind the keyboard.
Thanks for the amazing story.
Here’s to many more

Dave

Last edited by fatsport; 11-11-2018 at 10:03 AM.
LG Motorsports (11-11-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Well, that was disappointing results. It looks like a stock Viper ACR with a roll cage is a lot faster than the LG car. I thought the gap would be closer

Last edited by VRYALT3R3D; 12-03-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:01 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
Well, that was disappointing results. It looks like a stock Viper ACR with a roll cage is a lot faster than the LG car. I thought the gap would be closer
First read all the posts before you make negative comment without knowledge.

Yes we we did known the 95 dB limit and the way they measured it, and we were well under it but they would only use the on track sound meters that were right on the guardrails. We had more mufflers and extra cats than any Corvette ever had at the ring and we were still 1 DB over the sound limit. But on the last day there we were allowed to get 4 practice laps with traffic but on our last lap, we were cut short when they closed the track 15 min early.

in addition, their website says 135 dB limit but we were “suspended” for 132 and even 131 dB. - on;y on the first day were we at the 135 dB limit and each day after, we were well below it but still thrown off.
LG

As for your viper comment, they rented the full track for multiple days, at $60,000 per day. They actually got practice plus they never had to practice with traffic. Which is why my video lap was just a practice lap with traffic, just 2 cars but still traffic and I know that lap left, a ton left on the table. And even with that, it was still a mid 7 minute lap.
I am totally confident that we had a sub 7 minute lap in the car if we were not shut down so many times for just a couple of DB.

I suggest that YOU build your own car and give it a try, it’s easy

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 12-04-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Harbgrogan (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Small correction Lou - Private Viper Ring Attempt only was able to get in two timed laps due to weather.. different parts of the track were always wet.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
Small correction Lou - Private Viper Ring Attempt only was able to get in two timed laps due to weather.. different parts of the track were always wet.
We also had weather and fog. on our last day there, it was foggy and the shaded parts of the track were wet until after 2pm which is when we went out on 3 reconnaissance laps to make sure the track was dry.
THEN the single timed lap attempt was cut short and the track was shut down.

We never got to rent the track exclusively AND we did not have a German Driver so we were given the shaft every time.

Incorrect: they had plenty of laps with their two drivers of choice, then when they only got a 7:03 and Farnbacher had to leave to race somewhere else, they got 2 other drivers and rented a new day.

WHEN that failed then they got a Ring expert to run the 7:01 but for sure they had been on track alone for days before. They broke parts and eventually had to sideline one car.

THAT is more than "Just two laps".

hey, I only had 4 full laps WITH TRAFFIC and one was cut short. all were practice laps with ZERO timed record attempts.

I now have over 200 laps in BMWs but each day on track I was Suspended after just a lap or two.

Plus their rules show 135 DB and we were under that but still got thrown off.

I have been explaining what actually happened to us. I don't really care what the Viper did with their $200,000 effort. Maybe you could go on the Viper Forum and comiserate

The Viper team spent over $200,000 and that was not just for 2 laps. But hey what do I know.

LG

I bet the viper didn't have to pass a Nissan and a BMW.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 12-04-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Harbgrogan (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM
LG Motorsports

from the viper video They made 2 trips over to the Nurburgring. 4 different drivers and after 3 DAYS of attempts. that sounds like more than just 2 laps doesn't it?

Harbgrogan (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

from the viper video They made 2 trips over to the Nurburgring. 4 different drivers and after 3 DAYS of attempts. that sounds like more than just 2 laps doesn't it?

quit justifying yourself man. You’re just going to drive yourselves crazy

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring update

Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 AM
LG Motorsports

I am already Crazy

Here is my question guys, Why do I find myself constantly defending our effort. NOT once did we get on track with no other cars on track. of the 12 days there, 9 of them were "tourist Days" which means there were 2-300 cars on track or waiting in line to be on track. We did what we could to set the car up under those conditions.

We were told that we would have "Private time" on track when we won the so called "tuner Challenge" but we never got a single lap without traffic. AND the Car took longer to get there so I spent 2 full track days driving a rented BMW which is much different than our Corvette. THEN when the C7 finally arrived, we spent the remaining days installing more and more mufflers to try to get below their DB threshold, which I believe we did but they are still mad about WW2 I guess.

I will probably go back but not without having private days to run the car.

LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 12-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:55 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

We were told that we would have "Private time" on track when we won the so called "tuner Challenge" but we never got a single lap without traffic. AND the Car took longer to get there so I spent 2 full track days driving a rented BMW which is much different than our Corvette. THEN when the C7 finally arrived, we spent the remaining days installing more and more mufflers to try to get below their DB threshold, which I believe we did but they are still mad about WW2 I guess.
I will probably go back but not without having private days to run the car.

LG
Did Rob make it clear that you would be getting private track time at the Nurburgring or that you would just have your car shipped there and you can drive it there? That part was never clear to me.

Even though it restricts the power, why didn't you just run the stock exhaust and headers and never have any sound issues?

Do you really think the people who run the track hate Americans? Because I get that vibe from your post. When I went there, they were incredibly friendly.

Last edited by VRYALT3R3D; 12-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
Did Rob make it clear that you would be getting private track time at the Nurburgring or that you would just have your car shipped there and you can drive it there? That part was never clear to me.

Even though it restricts the power, why didn't you just run the stock exhaust and headers and never have any sound issues?

Do you really think the people who run the track hate Americans? Because I get that vibe from your post. When I went there, they were incredibly friendly.
yes Rob led us to believe that there would be some private laps. I don’t need tourist laps

we we did install a complete stock exhaust system and still was 2 dB over the limit. Also on two different days stock Corvettes were thrown off for exceeding the noise limit.
What were you driving? Probably not a c7 zo6.
One time they threw me off for having an aluminum wicker bill on my wing. Said it was a safety hazard. So we had to find a plastic angle piece in order to run the next day. But it didn’t matter they threw us soft for noise. You had to be there.
Ja vol Herr kommandant !!!

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 12-04-2018 at 03:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
Harbgrogan (12-04-2018), trooper (12-04-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nurburgring update