C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 PM
FASTLOW1
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My tires are shipping from Tire Rack today. I cannot say enough about Luke's excellent customer service. If your on the fence about where to buy your tires do not hesitate to call Luke.
The following 2 users liked this post by FASTLOW1:
Luke@tirerack (09-19-2018), Ron_Attleboro_MA (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:43 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
Hey Bob, I am willing to answer any and all questions put to me but, I would never "be all over people like a cheap suit" that's simply not my style. While your position and post comes across as quite negative and somewhat derogatory to Chevrolet, Michelin and me I'm not sure when, where or how I offended you and I offer my apologies if I did. I guess my 18+years on Corvette forum answering questions doesn't count for much in the eyes of some. I actually look at the wheel and tire forum a lot more than the individual model forums so, I must have missed your thread. On to the question at hand, both the 285-/30-19 and 335/25-20 Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires are now in stock in some of our warehouses and shipping to the people who have already order them. The other warehouses will be getting them shortly and for those who have orders shipping from those warehouses should be seeing shipping notices shortly.
Luke,

I respectfully disagree with your allegations.

Last spring, you regularly responded to threads posts on several of the lists on this forum, not just the wheel and tire forum, soooo after posting several messages requesting a response from you, and receiving no response, I answered another member of the forum, who responded to my message. That member basically agreed with my premise of your failing to respond to requests for updates. (The only messages that I saw from you, provided no anticipated release dates, but merely said to call you and place an order.) Based on the fact that my experience and that of others having not receiving responses, I made a comment which, admittedly, was not flattering to you, but what were we to think, given your copius responses of last spring and a dearth of them in the fall? By not receiving anticipated release dates from you, in addition to getting conflicting information from Michelin Customer Service, (not some receptionist as was stated elsewhere on the forum), we had to assume that we were being ignored or that you had no information to provide.

In any case, my tires arrived today at the Chevy dealer, whose Tire Department Manager, called me immediately upon his having been informed last week of the availability of the A/S 3+'s, going so far as to order a set for me without even having spoken with me!

So, case closed.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 09-15-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

and whats the best price for these?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukester
and whats the best price for these?
Ukster,

I bought mine from my local Chevrolet dealer and $1,404.54 for them including shipping, which is $13.86 over Tire Rack's advertised price, as shown below.

Shipping Quote
Shipping Cost to ZIP/Postal Code 59xxx (change ZIP/Postal Code) for:
Qty.
Size and Description
Item Total
335/25ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP (W- or Y-Speed Rated) Run Flat, 6-Rib Tread Design
$748.54

Distribution Center
Inventory Status
Est. Delivery Date
Shipping Cost
McCarran, NV
In Stock
Thu, 09/20
FREE
Shipping Cost to ZIP/Postal Code 59xxx (change ZIP/Postal Code) for:
Qty.
Size and Description
Item Total
285/30ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP (W- or Y-Speed Rated) Run Flat, 5-Rib Tread Design
$642.14

Distribution Center
Inventory Status
Est. Delivery Date
Shipping Cost
Denver, CO
09/20/18
Tue, 09/25
FREE
Includes Free Road Hazard Protection ($107.72 value. Two-year coverage.)

Set of 4: $1,390.68

No confusion either. He called me this past Monday to let me know that the tires were now available and that he'd already ordered a set for me, without even calling to confirm! The dealer will install them next Tuesday, which the earliest that I could get there. Now, that's service!

To me, it's a distinct advantage to purchase the tires directly from the dealer who'll install them. In that way, should there be an issue, no finger-pointing will ensue. Paying a little more to avoid a hassle is worth the extra money to me. In this case the higher price that I paid is a mere pittance . . . $13.86.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 09-15-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added substantiating information
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (09-15-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,008 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Got my set for our GS from Tire Rack and they arrived yesterday. $1383.70 delivered..... They get installed tomorrow at a nearby Chevy Dealer who has a Hunter Eng'r touchless machine and Hunter Road Force balancer.

I'll get the car aligned too, although I'm not sure it really needs it as my stock Michelin PSS tires show NO wear at 7500 miles and the car steers perfectly straight.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Smiling

Originally Posted by Strake

Stake, she is smiling but she looks tired! Ha ha
Strake (09-25-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 AM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine arrived on Wednesday....now just waiting on the car to put them on! TPW week is just about 2.5 weeks away! Starting to feel real.....
Old 09-21-2018, 01:23 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Had planned to wait till next year to replace my MPSS with AS/3+, still have about 2mm left to the wear bars. This week I picked up a nail in a rear tire. No big deal - but turns out to be in the same tire I had patched in the first month of ownership. They won't patch the same tire twice here. So I plugged it myself while I wait for the AS/3+ to arrive at Discount Tire next week (rears are shipping from Georgia I think). $1,363 out the door - pretty happy with that.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Let us know what you think about them after driving with them. I plan to have a set installed in late October or early November before the cold weather sets in. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MontanaBob
TUNERZ,

My A/S 3+'s arrived at the Chevy dealer today. I'll have them installed next Tuesday. I'll measure the tread depth on fronts and rears at that time and post them.

Montana Bob
That would be outstanding information as it is not listed on the racks site and no information at all on Michelin's site.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Actually, the tread depth IS shown on Michelin's website.....

It shows that for the Pilot A/S 3+ the front and rear both have 10/32" tread depth. Compared to the Pilot Super Sport Front at 7.4 / 32" and the rear is: 7.8 / 32"

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...ort-a-s-3-plus

I got our new A/S 3+ installed and an alignment done last Thursday....... nice so far. I feel they are more quiet.

Richard

Last edited by Strake; 09-25-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Actually, the tread depth IS shown on Michelin's website.....

It shows that for the Pilot A/S 3+ the front and rear both have 10/32" tread depth. Compared to the Pilot Super Sport Front at 7.4 / 32" and the rear is: 7.8 / 32"

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...ort-a-s-3-plus

I got our new A/S 3+ installed and an alignment done last Thursday....... nice so far. I feel they are more quiet.

Richard
You are right and I was half wrong, I searched a 335/25/20 tire size and the AS3 didn't appear in that search.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

I found the info last week as I too was curious about the difference in a new set of Pilot A/S 3+ compared to Pilot Super Sport's.

ALSO, I wanted to know what the new tread depth was on a new set of PSS as I was listing my original tires for sale, and wanted to know how 6/32" ( my existing tires) compared to a new set.

My existing set of MPSS sold here on this forum in a day !!!!! They are on their way to their new home in FL.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

I found the info last week as I too was curious about the difference in a new set of Pilot A/S 3+ compared to Pilot Super Sport's.

ALSO, I wanted to know what the new tread depth was on a new set of PSS as I was listing my original tires for sale, and wanted to know how 6/32" ( my existing tires) compared to a new set.

My existing set of MPSS sold here on this forum in a day !!!!! They are on their way to their new home in FL.
Do you notice any difference in characteristics between the tires? Road handling, steering response, etc...
Old 09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Well, I've only put about 200 miles on them since getting them mounted and the alignment. In those few rides, I can't really tell any difference in handling, steering response, etc. As stated earlier, especially with these country roads around here that get the " oil and chip" treatment....... the tires seem more quiet, and less sticky as they don't pick up every single loose pebble to pummel the underside of the car.

I'd take the car out in the RAIN we've got here for 3 days and give you a report of driving in the rain, BUT...... I just did a detailed job of washing and cleaning the car on Saturday and it's nice to see it spotless for a few days LOL !!!!
Tunerz Store (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Still waiting feedback on someone who has installed the AS3+ to replace PSS OEM Tires on a C7 Z06.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
Its a shame the Pilot Sport 4 S don't come in our size . I just put a full set on the Shelby , they seem like a really good tire .
I read that one or more 4S tires literally came apart on a track, don't recall what car they were on. Michelin may be working on a stronger version of the 4S for the C7 Z06 so they can replace the SS with the 4S as they have done with the other tire sizes.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7X46
Still waiting feedback on someone who has installed the AS3+ to replace PSS OEM Tires on a C7 Z06.
C7X46,

Okay, I promised that after I had my A/S 3+s installed, I would provide my impression. I had them installed a week ago but have only driven it a mere 50 miles, so I was waiting to log some more before providing my impression. That may be a while, so I offer this preliminary impression.

Noise level: Maybe 10 to 15 percent quieter but still rather loud.
Dry handling: Massive difference but please take into account the fact that I've only driven the car 50 miles, so the "nubbies" are still present. My guess would be that cornering capability is reduced by 30 to 40 percent but I have to assume that will improve somewhat but will never be even close to the MPSSs.
Wet handling: I have no idea, as I have yet to drive in the rain. That said, comparing the tread of the two tires, wet traction has to be improved dramatically.
Steering response: Dramatically slower than the MPSSs . . . but they should be given that the tread compounds are drastically different. The A/S 3+s appear to have a "standard street tire" compound with the tread depth, (10/32" on fronts and rears), being nearly 30 percent deeper. My guess is that the sidewalls of the A/S 3+s are much more compliant than the MPSSs. All of that would increase the flexibility of the tire.
Braking: Don't know yet as I have yet to drive the car "in anger" with the A/S 3+s. My guess is that braking distance will increase considerably.

One should not expect the A/S 3+s to be a track tire. I bought them to extend my driving season, and I have no doubt that they'll do that, if for no other reason that they can be driven at freezing temperatures which should absolutely not be done with the MPSSs. Ya can't have it all, folks!

Most importantly, yes, were I to do it again, I would buy these tires as they increase my driving season by 70 to 80 percent and that's why I bought this car!

I'll update this when I've put on five hundred or so miles.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 09-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MontanaBob:
C7X46 (09-26-2018), Kyflyer (09-25-2018), Ron_Attleboro_MA (10-16-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:32 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Well, I've only put about 200 miles on them since getting them mounted and the alignment. In those few rides, I can't really tell any difference in handling, steering response, etc. As stated earlier, especially with these country roads around here that get the " oil and chip" treatment....... the tires seem more quiet, and less sticky as they don't pick up every single loose pebble to pummel the underside of the car.

I'd take the car out in the RAIN we've got here for 3 days and give you a report of driving in the rain, BUT...... I just did a detailed job of washing and cleaning the car on Saturday and it's nice to see it spotless for a few days LOL !!!!
how do these tires handle in cooler temps hard acceleration. Is it Less spinning and more bite then the mpss?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:47 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Need it to get below 40 degrees to get a decent response. Had the car out yesterday for another 200 miles and today, but it's a beautiful 73 degrees, and no rain. Thank God !!!

I'm sure I can report back soon enough ...

Last edited by Strake; 09-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates