C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:40 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
Had planned to wait till next year to replace my MPSS with AS/3+, still have about 2mm left to the wear bars. This week I picked up a nail in a rear tire. No big deal - but turns out to be in the same tire I had patched in the first month of ownership. They won't patch the same tire twice here. So I plugged it myself while I wait for the AS/3+ to arrive at Discount Tire next week (rears are shipping from Georgia I think). $1,363 out the door - pretty happy with that.
Had the A/S3+ put on yesterday. Drove a good distance on a dry day, mid 60's freeway - tires are noticeably quieter. Drove today just a short distance, low 50's raining steadily - huge improvement in traction, braking and stability under those conditions. Even getting on the throttle a little from a start - did not get any wheel spin. I expect some performance loss Vs MPSS in warm dry weather - but I'd say these tires are a great tradeoff if you want to frequently drive below 50 def F and if you have wet roads on a regular basis.
The following 3 users liked this post by gbmidyear66:
bvettevo (10-16-2018), Kyflyer (09-30-2018), Ron_Attleboro_MA (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Follow up

Originally Posted by MontanaBob
C7X46,

Okay, I promised that after I had my A/S 3+s installed, I would provide my impression. I had them installed a week ago but have only driven it a mere 50 miles, so I was waiting to log some more before providing my impression. That may be a while, so I offer this preliminary impression.

Noise level: Maybe 10 to 15 percent quieter but still rather loud.
Dry handling: Massive difference but please take into account the fact that I've only driven the car 50 miles, so the "nubbies" are still present. My guess would be that cornering capability is reduced by 30 to 40 percent but I have to assume that will improve somewhat but will never be even close to the MPSSs.
Wet handling: I have no idea, as I have yet to drive in the rain. That said, comparing the tread of the two tires, wet traction has to be improved dramatically.
Steering response: Dramatically slower than the MPSSs . . . but they should be given that the tread compounds are drastically different. The A/S 3+s appear to have a "standard street tire" compound with the tread depth, (10/32" on fronts and rears), being nearly 30 percent deeper. My guess is that the sidewalls of the A/S 3+s are much more compliant than the MPSSs. All of that would increase the flexibility of the tire.
Braking: Don't know yet as I have yet to drive the car "in anger" with the A/S 3+s. My guess is that braking distance will increase considerably.

One should not expect the A/S 3+s to be a track tire. I bought them to extend my driving season, and I have no doubt that they'll do that, if for no other reason that they can be driven at freezing temperatures which should absolutely not be done with the MPSSs. Ya can't have it all, folks!

Most importantly, yes, were I to do it again, I would buy these tires as they increase my driving season by 70 to 80 percent and that's why I bought this car!

I'll update this when I've put on five hundred or so miles.

Montana Bob
Bob,

Have you logged enough additional miles since this post to provide additional information regarding these tires? I may wait it out until next fall as it is turning cold here now and I only have 8K on these tires and I should be able to get another summer driving season with them.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:29 PM
bvettevo
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the AS3 about two weeks ago and logged about 400 miles so far. I live in Colorado so I was looking for a tire that could hold up in temp below 60. I can say that the transaction is night and day difference from the cup tires. Inside the car it is quiet as can be as well. I am a huge fan of the AS3 already.
The following users liked this post:
Kyflyer (10-16-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed the AS3+ last week on a second set of OEM wheels and feel the only compromise is steering input. The AS3 require more steering input however, I am comparing them to PSS with 10K miles on them so a large portion of that change could be attributed to tread squirm of the new tires. When you first install them they will feel disappointing for the first 250 miles but then really start to come to life, possibly the mold release compound scrubbing off the tires. The increased steering input could most likely be dialed out with a more aggressive front alignment setting and will most certainly improve with wear, I wish I could compare them to new PSS for a more accurate comparison. The AS3 hooks power from a start better than PSS at or below 70F and I can only imagine that advantage is more pronounced as temps drop. I bought these to increase driving season of the car and feel they will do that no problem. The PSS were downright dangerous in temps below 60F and break loose violently when they go, and yes, I have corrected the camber and alignment on my car. I want to stress to those on the fence that review from the initial install of these tires should be taken lightly as they dramatically improve with a few hundred miles on them. I'll do a mountain drive this weekend in 40-50F temps and report back next week, so far I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by C7X46
I installed the AS3+ last week on a second set of OEM wheels and feel the only compromise is steering input. The AS3 require more steering input however, I am comparing them to PSS with 10K miles on them so a large portion of that change could be attributed to tread squirm of the new tires. When you first install them they will feel disappointing for the first 250 miles but then really start to come to life, possibly the mold release compound scrubbing off the tires. The increased steering input could most likely be dialed out with a more aggressive front alignment setting and will most certainly improve with wear, I wish I could compare them to new PSS for a more accurate comparison. The AS3 hooks power from a start better than PSS at or below 70F and I can only imagine that advantage is more pronounced as temps drop. I bought these to increase driving season of the car and feel they will do that no problem. The PSS were downright dangerous in temps below 60F and break loose violently when they go, and yes, I have corrected the camber and alignment on my car. I want to stress to those on the fence that review from the initial install of these tires should be taken lightly as they dramatically improve with a few hundred miles on them. I'll do a mountain drive this weekend in 40-50F temps and report back next week, so far I am very pleased with my purchase.
Can you comment on the compliance, (ride comfort, etc) of the AS3 versus the PSS ZP?

TIA
Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Can you comment on the compliance, (ride comfort, etc) of the AS3 versus the PSS ZP?

TIA
Comfort in terms of road noise is greatly improved, ride quality over bumps and overall harness vs PSS little to no change.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7X46:
Kyflyer (10-19-2018), thebishman (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Had mine installed yesterday. Obviously very new but it is rainy and in the 50-60's. I can tell you this....you can actually put more power to the ground without puckering each time.

We'll see how they handle in the dry and I get some miles on them to let them settle in.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 10-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

These tires are incredible. I can actually put the hammer down in the cold now. Rain performance is night and day better than the OEM non-cup tires as well. I will not buy another set of OEM tires due to the middle tread block issue anyway, but I hope I can get away with running these new all seasons year round for street tires.
The following users liked this post:
Kyflyer (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:11 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Michelin wen site they only guarantee 15 miles if you cannot rotate all four like my C7 is 18 on the front 19 rear 15,000 is it can maybe adjusting tow help

30,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty

These MICHELIN® tires carry a 30,000 mile limited warranty in addition to the standard materials and workmanship warranty for treadwear or mileage.

Download PDF Version of Warranty

* Mileage Warranty Exceptions
Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.
ZP (Zero Pressure) tires - The maximum mileage warranty for ZP tires is 30,000 miles.

Last edited by fjm1947; 10-19-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

If I actually got 15,000 miles out of them I would be ecstatic.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C7X46
Comfort in terms of road noise is greatly improved, ride quality over bumps and overall harness vs PSS little to no change.
I completely agree. No real difference in noise levels on a decent asphalt road, but major difference Vs PSS ZP on a concrete freeway, the drone on the concrete is much reduced.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

Do you track your's? I've got 12k on the original Pilot Super Sport I'm sure I can get 15k out of them, I would like more.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Well then we must be driving differently. Even the MPSS I did not track only lasted about 8k miles. How much tread depth do you have left at 12k miles? Mind taking a pic of the rears so I can see how your inner tread block looks? Maybe they actually hold up if you are really easy on the tires.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:06 PM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Well then we must be driving differently. Even the MPSS I did not track only lasted about 8k miles. How much tread depth do you have left at 12k miles? Mind taking a pic of the rears so I can see how your inner tread block looks? Maybe they actually hold up if you are really easy on the tires.
Have you done an alignment check on them? I've read quite a few people getting well over 10k on the MPSS tires if they weren't hard on them. If you're getting lots of inner tire wear, it's very possible the very wide range of factory alignments could have been off and at times it's seemed that the plant is putting a fairly aggressive and more track oriented alignment on many of them. Quite a few people that didn't get it checked early on have complained about tires being worn out around 8k...down into the cords even. I'm curious as I'm waiting on mine now! Hopefully longer than 8k and I definitely plan on having the DSC street/occasional HPDE alignment settings put on the car, which I'm told give you pretty good life on the tires.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

I'm trying to upload tire picture I seem to be doing something wrong
Old 10-20-2018, 04:24 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

I can't seem to load on here, but I put it in my album picture here https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/10260228
Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Just replaced my MPSS's with 11k on them. Had 4/32 left in the fronts and 3/32 (to the wear bars) in the rears. Love the AS3+'s...

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

That's my next tire
Old 10-20-2018, 07:41 PM
fjm1947
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RedBaroness
Have you done an alignment check on them? I've read quite a few people getting well over 10k on the MPSS tires if they weren't hard on them. If you're getting lots of inner tire wear, it's very possible the very wide range of factory alignments could have been off and at times it's seemed that the plant is putting a fairly aggressive and more track oriented alignment on many of them. Quite a few people that didn't get it checked early on have complained about tires being worn out around 8k...down into the cords even. I'm curious as I'm waiting on mine now! Hopefully longer than 8k and I definitely plan on having the DSC street/occasional HPDE alignment settings put on the car, which I'm told give you pretty good life on the tires.

What is " DSC street/occasional HPDE alignment settings" I'd like to know what that's all about.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the AS-3. Just a note, The AS-3 comes in various versions based on whether its a 98Y or a 94Y. The one you want is the AS-3 with 94Y performance.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates