C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2019 ZO6 Vert QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:42 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2019 ZO6 Vert QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES

Just brought my car home from the NCM, where I took delivery. It was an awesome experience to say the least including my delivery falling on my Bday. In addition, I was told this was the FIRST 2019 Delivered. I was, however, extremely disappointed in GM's lack of quality control. Bear in mind that my car had 27 miles on it when I arrived for delivery. When I asked why so many miles were on my car, I was told that my car was one of four pulled at random for an additional quality control audit and that it had been driven in town for a total of 27 miles. Ok, I can live with that, but the issues I discovered when taking delivery were astonishing, especially in lieu of the "additional quality control audit". First, the stinger hood had raised areas that were somewhat spiderweb like. It obviously had been installed without proper cleaning of the hood. They did take the car away immediately and replaced the stinger which I appreciated. It was only after they brought the car back that I realized the drivers door was completely out of alignment and the latch was hitting prematurely due to this. In addition, on my taneau cover? right behind the passengers headrest, appears to be an area the size of a 50 cent piece not fully painted, looks like primer. This after the hoopla of the "New Paint Facility". I realize these cars are production cars, but the Irony regarding this car, the "FIRST 2019 delivered, going through an addition "Quality control audit" and delivered like this blows me away. Now I have to deal with a local Chevy dealer, who I did not buy the car through on Monday to adjust the drivers door and paint the area behind my passengers seat as warranty items. Bottom line is These items were clearly visible to anyone critiquing their new Corvette and certainly visible to anyone at GM handling the quality control as these cars come off the line....... That being said, the staff was extremely accommodating and very thorough regarding features/processes etc.

The car is now at a local Chevrolet dealer since Monday 3/12/18. They are having trouble with the clear painting the effected area on the Taneau cover and are sanding and respraying the area again. I doubt they will be able to get perfection and I'll have to deal directly with GM. Has anyone had similar issues? What is the likelihood that GM will replace the entire Taneau, factory painted to match my car, if even possible?? Respond if you have any advice. This **** has put a serious damper on what should have been a wonderful experience......
Attached Images   

Last edited by BDASSZO6; 03-14-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I'm sure GM will see this post and get you satisfaction especially with your early discovery of issues. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

I hope your right. Thanks for your reply.

​​​​Regards
Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I often think that GM lets certain "quality control" issues slip through so that they can be handled by the dealers. When we toured the Bowling Green plant a couple of years ago all our guide talked about was quality control. My car has two fish eyes in the paint on the front bumper by the emblem. Not sure how they missed it in their bright light inspection area because I saw it right away. I've never taken it to the dealer for that issue because I figured they'd screw it up worse.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

I hear you. I was NOT comfortable taking my car to the Dealer, but am striving for perfection with all the $$$ I spent . I will not let this go. If the dealer is unable to satisfy me then I will get GM INVOLVED!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I hope you get it fixed to your expectation.

Maybe the plant lane will get this fixed in later 2019’s as promised with the new paint booths and process
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What did the people at the museum have to say about this? For nearly 1000.00 they should have caught this beforehand.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Likelihood of getting it repainted or a new one painted at the factory, about zero. As to the dealer doing it, I guess it depends on the reputation of the dealer's service/paint and body shop---how good are they? And sometimes, door latch adjustment is a body shop item, too.

But your issue is with the plant and the museum since at least three different staffs (one was to polish and prep the car) went over the car very carefully. The paint issue didn't suddenly happen, but the latch not aligned might have after delivery.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Hope for the best and my patience would not be well. Goodluck
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Show us the paint issue. Pics please.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Zero chance factory takes care of this unless the Ncm delivery works some magic. Sorry your having to deal with this. Not a cool start. I’d take a deep breath and big picture you have a beautiful new car. Stay on the dealer to get it right.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I own a collision shop and suggest that if at all possible try to keep your original cover. If you get a new one it will come in primer. Then we would blend the color into all adjacent panels for color match puposes. Which means disassembling, prepping and painting a large portion of the rear of the car. You have one of the harder color to match and no it does not matter that its new.

I hate to say but will.... sometimes your better off sucking it up and living with a minor issue. My 100k Z06 had the drivers door hitting the windshield pillar when new and wore the paint away. Its still like that now 3 years later.

The door should be an easy re-alignment.

Sorry to hear but i will bet the experience you will get from that beautiful beast will over ride all issues as time moves on.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

That sux on any new car especially our NEW Corvettes. Good luck with the paint matching process .
Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Should have refused delivery. Why accept their failures?
NCM/GM should be embarrassed.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Very disappointing to hear about something like this with all the hoopla about the new painting process on 2018-2019 cars. As difficult as it would have been to do I might have just walked away and not taken delivery. I also would have asked what the hell they were doing driving around town in it for 27 miles when they could have been working to fix all the visible QC issues.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
I hope your right. Thanks for your reply.

​​​​Regards

make sure to keep good records from now through the warranty period
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

American quality has always been pretty lousy. People are not really focused. They talk a good game but where the rubber meets the road (no pun intended) the results are pretty poor.

If it is any consolidation, consider the following. I recently spent time at a Lamborghini dealer on Long Island, NY. You should have seen the garbage. The lower front bumper section, similar to the body panel structure on a C7, differed significantly in color from the bumper piece above it (which them goes to the front of the hood). When you looked at a side viewing of the car the two color differences were dramatic (should be identical). This on $300-500,000 cars.

By the way I have a Torch Red 2016 Z06. Had multiple, noticeable, two inch diameter dull spots on the front bumper. Luckily they sanded/buffed our fine. Car is great for the $, but...

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 ZO6 Vert QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES

Old 03-15-2018, 08:30 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Jeez. OP. So sorry to hear this. Try Mary Barra
Unacceptable. Completely. Although you're not alone. All of us have issues with our beloved Corvettes. Most of them are straight from the line. Either poor prep, alignment, or design flaw.

I am wondering if they fixed this issue yet which has been around since the start of production.

Side fender vents cutting into paint. All C7 Z06 years and colors effected.

Email her. It's probably your best chance at full resolution.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 03-15-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

I also have a 2019. I take delivery of it next week. I pray I am as calm as you are if something is wrong. For me, this was the largest purchase I ever made outside of my house. I will be a crazy man if anything is wrong; especially quality control wise. I understand that things happen, but attention to detail should never be compromised. I am certain GM will make this right. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
I hear you. I was NOT comfortable taking my car to the Dealer, but am striving for perfection with all the $$$ I spent . I will not let this go. If the dealer is unable to satisfy me then I will get GM INVOLVED!
You're doing the right thing, except for striving for perfection. I think that might be a recipe for madness with a new Z.

My car is close. But there's -always- going to be one little thing or another that isn't right. Mine has some overspray I need to have removed, that sort of thing. Mary Barra isn't going to come and clay bar my overspray or fix your vent.

What's my point? You'll be happier if you can enjoy the imperfect car along the way. If you can only enjoy a perfect Z, you're going to be frustrated a lot of the time I imagine!

Last edited by davepl; 03-15-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 ZO6 Vert QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES