Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Measure Ride Height?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM
bierry

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How To Measure Ride Height?

Per the service manual, recommended ride height for a Z06 (FE6 & FE7) are:
F: 27.5" from floor to wheel well opening lip
R: 29.3" from floor to wheel well opening lip

My Z07 heights are:
F: ~27.5" from floor to wheel well slats; ~28.25" to actual wheel well opening lip
R: 28 9/16" to wheel well opening lip

For the front, is the svc manual referencing the slats (in which case my heights seem good @ ~27.5"), or the fenders themselves (then would need to lower by ~.75")?

For the rear, should I be increasing the height to meet the recommended 29.3"?

Thanks!

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Left

Rear Right
The following users liked this post:
RocksZC7 (05-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 3,584 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Did you follow the Service Manual procedure to set the car up for the measurement before measuring? That could change your measurements. Make sure the car has been set up properly for the measurement to be sure you get the proper reading. Your measurements are close enough to the stock numbers (including tolerance) that you should ensure the car is setup properly before making changes. Myself I would be tempted to say close enough since it is sometimes difficult to tweak things that small. I also suggest you make sure the suspension is well settled before measuring. Take the car for a mile or two drive over some bumps and then set it up and measure.

I believe you should measure to the top of the wheel arch as it says in the manual. I don't count the spat as being part of the wheel arch. If you notice the Stingray and Z51 are measured without a spat. I really believe they want a consistent measurement point between models.

Also there is a tolerance on those measurements of plus or minus .39 inches. It would probably be easier to measure if you had a metric tape measure since the front measurement is 699 mm plus or minus 10 mm and the rear measurement is 743 mm plus of minus 10 mm.

The Z06 is specified to ride higher than the Stingray or Z51 and it has more rake. The front difference between the Stingray and the Z06 is 7 mm and the rear difference is 11 mm.

Bill
Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM
bierry

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
Did you follow the Service Manual procedure to set the car up for the measurement before measuring? That could change your measurements. Make sure the car has been set up properly for the measurement to be sure you get the proper reading. Your measurements are close enough to the stock numbers (including tolerance) that you should ensure the car is setup properly before making changes. Myself I would be tempted to say close enough since it is sometimes difficult to tweak things that small. I also suggest you make sure the suspension is well settled before measuring. Take the car for a mile or two drive over some bumps and then set it up and measure.

I believe you should measure to the top of the wheel arch as it says in the manual. I don't count the spat as being part of the wheel arch. If you notice the Stingray and Z51 are measured without a spat. I really believe they want a consistent measurement point between models.

Also there is a tolerance on those measurements of plus or minus .39 inches. It would probably be easier to measure if you had a metric tape measure since the front measurement is 699 mm plus or minus 10 mm and the rear measurement is 743 mm plus of minus 10 mm.

The Z06 is specified to ride higher than the Stingray or Z51 and it has more rake. The front difference between the Stingray and the Z06 is 7 mm and the rear difference is 11 mm.

Bill
Bill,

Thanks for your response. It was from one of your posts where I obtained the svc manual measurements - so thanks for that as well! Yes, I followed the svc manual steps including a full tank, tires @ 30psi, push bumpers down (hard as I could) 3 times then measure, lift 3 times (hard as I could) then measure, front then rear, and measured several times.

Will get a metric tape / stick and measure again for easier readability, and what you said about the fenders, not the spats, as the reference makes sense. I just wanted to ensure the recommended heights before taking it in for an alignment to the DSC road/track specs.

BTW I'm also Bill, with a black Z07, in the NYC area. What are the chances!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 455 Likes on 361 Posts

I've run into this thread (and a few others like this,or this) during my search for what the OEM heights for Z06/Z07 cars are. It looks like pretty much everyone have the cars set very close to yours from factory.

My estimated stock heights ('19 Z06/Z07 M7) are:
27.3" FL, 27.5" FR
28.25" RL, 28.75" RR
(Full tank; I have a slight grade on my garage surface)

Regarding my rear height difference from side to side, as @Higgs Boson well stated (here), it makes sense for the driver side to sit a little bit lower to increase weight on the other side, so I'm not bothered too much.

What bothers me is:
  1. All OEM Z07 cars seem to be coming out of factory with heights fairly consistent, yet these heights "in consensus" do not fit well with the numbers asked for in the service manual. I am not sure which one would make more sense to follow.
  2. The P measurement seems to be right at target when measured from spats for everyone who's reported their stock heights. Some of them did not mention how they took the measurements, but everyone seems to use the spats. There's no mention of spats in manual, but I have a feeling that it is meant to be measured from spats, since they are considered part of the fender line. Besides, numbers would be way off for all these users who've reported, if the measurement was to be taken from the body colored fender line.

Anyhow, I don't care for the looks, and just want to make sure the car is set at its optimal height. As such, I'm leaning towards not touching it at all, but it makes me wonder: Is my rake correct? I measured the rake from the bottom of the car (by the side skirts, but not used the skirts), and there's ~.75" height difference from rear to front. It was about same on my Z51, too, even though the P and R targets are quite different.

Last edited by X25; 05-15-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Measure Ride Height?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: