C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front Quarter Panels-What are they made of?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Front Quarter Panels-What are they made of?

Hey guys and dolls as the title says I need to know if they are really carbon fiber or are they some other composite material. Here's why, yesterday while installing carbon fiber side vents on the passenger side of the car I pushed the fender out to far from the body to facilitate installing the hardware which holds the vents to the body.

While trying to install bolts up at the top I heard a cracking sound. I didn't pay any attention to the noise but after buttoning up the fender I noticed the crack on the outboard edge of the fender. Very visible and very sickening.

So I need to find a body shop that will or can repair the crack using the right materials and then blend the paint to match. I don't know how they would repair carbon fiber (possible use of resin's) but I'm sure they wouldn't or shouldn't use Bondo to repair this small crack.

Do you know for sure what they are made of and how to repair a small crack in this material.

Oh yeah, if you buy and install Anderson Composite side vents you have to remove just about all the bolts that hold the fender on to the body to install the hardware provided by Anderson safely. Beautiful visible carbon fiber but mounting hardware needs to be improved. These are not factory parts with a carbon overlay. But that's another story.

Thanks for your help
Bill

Last edited by Leo the Lion; 03-15-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

FRP - Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

(e) zach@katechengines.com
The following users liked this post:
Leo the Lion (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo the Lion
Hey guys and dolls as the title says I need to know if they are really carbon fiber or are they some other composite material. Here's why, yesterday while installing carbon fiber side vents on the passenger side of the car I pushed the fender out to far from the body to facilitate installing the hardware which holds the vents to the body.

While trying to install bolts up at the top I heard a cracking sound. I didn't pay any attention to the noise but after buttoning up the fender I noticed the crack on the outboard edge of the fender. Very visible and very sickening.

So I need to find a body shop that will or can repair the crack using the right materials and then blend the paint to match. I don't know how they would repair carbon fiber (possible use of resin's) but I'm sure they wouldn't or shouldn't use Bondo to repair this small crack.

Do you know for sure what they are made of and how to repair a small crack in this material.

Oh yeah, if you buy and install Anderson Composite side vents you have to remove just about all the bolts that hold the fender on to the body to install the hardware provided by Anderson safely. Beautiful visible carbon fiber but mounting hardware needs to be improved. These are not factory parts with a carbon overlay. But that's another story.

Thanks for your help
Bill
That stinks... If it’s a 2016+, a lighter material was used: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/...anel-material/
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I bounced my 2015 C7Z off a tire wall and cracked a front fender. A local body shop repaired and painted it no problem. Granted they do specialize in Corvettes with a name like "Stingray's".
Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
FRP - Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic
i thought it was styrofoam
Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by sTz
That stinks... If it’s a 2016+, a lighter material was used: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/...anel-material/
Yes sir 2016 it is. Thanks for the link , interesting info.

Bill
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I bounced my 2015 C7Z off a tire wall and cracked a front fender. A local body shop repaired and painted it no problem. Granted they do specialize in Corvettes with a name like "Stingray's".
I wish that body shop was in Florida Poor-sha, I'd drive anywhere in the state to have this repaired perfectly. I've got a Gm master mechanic who is the corvette mechanic for thirty years referring me to a local body shop qualified to do this repair.

Bill
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

They’re made of this stuff:

Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

YIKES!

Man, that would make me drink for a month straight...
Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
They’re made of this stuff:

You certainly see the fiber glass fibers in these photo's. I still need to take my car to a body shop and get an estimate for repairs.
This accident would have made me sick for days then I probably would get it repaired and then sell it or trade it in for a new car.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

You certainly see the fiber glass fibers in these photo's. I still need to take my car to a body shop and get an estimate for repairs.
This accident would have made me sick for days then I probably would get it repaired and then sell it or trade it in for a new car.
Naw. It happened in a parking lot while it was parked. 2500HD turned too tight into a parking space and his running board ran in onto the fender. Fender, liner, and headlight were the only damage (and a small support bracket). The bumper cover just detached from the fender clips, with no damage to it. They just replaced all three damaged components with new OEM and sprayed the fender and re-sprayed the bumper cover (got rid of a few rock chips in the process). Replaced the front emblem too.

Looks a lot worse than it was. Felt a lot worse too.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 03-23-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Glad to hear everything turned out OK for you!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by l2vette
Glad to hear everything turned out OK for you!
Good enough for a photo shoot.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 PM
hoserdog
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front quarter Panels

MyZ06 is getting repaired from a Hit and Run in the local grocery store parking lot...Scraped front bumper where the vehicle rode up on it, right finder, bracket and head light .......
Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
Good enough for a photo shoot.
That's a great picture of your car. I love the wheels they work real well with the cyber grey.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Ok.....

Quarter panels - rear

Fenders - front
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Well on the C6s they were made of the same stuff the front and rear bumpers are made of. Now on the C7 the 14-15 have fiberglass reinforced hot pressed plastic or (SMC). On 16-19 its glass bead reinforced sheet molded compound. The latter gave GM a 35 lb weight savings per car.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:44 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for your help
Bill
Call a BMW, Porsche, MB, Lexus dealers and ask who they use in your area.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Quarter Panels-What are they made of?

Quick Reply: Front Quarter Panels-What are they made of?