C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Well I’ don’t don’t no which one to buy the afe full intake or bms shop said my setup will be around 630 to 660Rwhp and I don’t no if the bms will cause any issues or not lookin to save alittle if there’s no reason to buy a intake
Old 03-17-2018, 01:51 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I recommend loosing the two bolts holding it in place and push down the whole airbox very firmly. Then retighten I just put my 2nd one on last week. Car runs great. Mine is not touching the hood. My other Halltech on my other car does barely touch but it hasn't been an issue. I bought 24 inches of hose for $2.00 went under the unit. Then if you have the nomex sock it doesn't if your hose touches the nomex.

You also can grab the squeeze clamp on the big hose. Then twist it a little and it swings down more out of the way.
My unit had two seals for the tube one in place and one extra in the bag. It just keeps warm air out from under hood it doesn't let dirt pass the filter.
Still needed though.

Oh well I don't sell them or make a dime.
I just like the 40 rwhp. It seems to make everytime. Nothing wrong with the BMS Filter either obvious huge improvement (I bought and examined it one but never tried it). over the crap stock filter. But at 800 hp level I'm doing on 2 cars the Halltech is the unit.

40 rwhp from a cai LMFAO.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by K1600GT
I ordered the Halltech Stinger RZ and have been really disappointed so far.
I take my old intake off and begin installing the Halltech. First thing I noticed was the sticky back foam that is supposed to seal the intake box to the F frame is missing. I called Halltech and their response was “ Oh yeah, we ran out of that” I was really set back by this and the guy said nothing until I said “Really”. He then said to send him an email with my address and he would send me the foam. This was over a week ago and still nothing. I went and got my own foam the same day and proceeded with the install anyway. I get it all installed and find the hood does not close without springing the hinges. I fiddle with some things and decided if I had a longer 5/16” radiator hose I could route it under the air box. With this, I decided to watch the Halltech install video again and I noticed that in the video they run that hose under the air box. Problem is, they sent me 6” of 5/16” hose instead of the ~20” that is needed to do it this way. They must have been running short on this too or about to run out. Needless to say I went and got more hose. Now after routing under the air box the hood still does not shut without being sprung. I have moved stuff and it still doesn’t close properly....
Now on to another observation. I’m sorry, but the quality of this intake compared to the OEM intake is really cheesy. I paid $600 for this an so far I am very disappointed with quality, quality control, and customer service. Here’s more.
The routing of the radiator hose is tacky at best. In the video it states if you do it like they do you will have a 1/4” or so clearance with the alternator pulley and be sure as this will rub and eventually wear through. In my mind if you are going to have close clearance on a critical part like this you better secure it very well and not just with pushing stuff and zip ties.
I could go on but I know there are people that are very happy with this set up and that’s fine. Personally, I don’t care what quality cost (within reason) or customer service for that matter. I pay extra and buy local and it has paid off multiple times.
Halltech, please do not go into aircraft engineering.

I will sell this unused unit (with the proper parts for $500).

Most of the aftermarket stuff is a little sketchy on the fit and finish and the owner/installer has to be creative beyond the instructions to make it fit.

600 bucks seems steep. This product is maybe worth 150 to 250 bucks even if it was high quality.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

AFE was a clean fit and I am a happy camper.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:30 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default I like saving some bread if I can, don't you.

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Well I’ don’t don’t no which one to buy the afe full intake or bms shop said my setup will be around 630 to 660Rwhp and I don’t no if the bms will cause any issues or not lookin to save alittle if there’s no reason to buy a intake
Just think all that power and when you pop the hood you hear; look guys it's running a stock intake! Oh, and from a "quality/fit" stand point comparing the three IMO it's stock then AFE and last & least Halltech.

Down the road if your not happy, than I would consider running an AFE.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-17-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Why does the Halltech intake seem so unanimous for first mods on a lot of threads when it has such fitment issues? I’m still a little skeptical that the Halltech is so bad it can’t be made to work. Does the AFE intake make as much power as the Halltech?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Just about anything can be made to work, I do it all the time.

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP
Why does the Halltech intake seem so unanimous for first mods on a lot of threads when it has such fitment issues? I’m still a little skeptical that the Halltech is so bad it can’t be made to work. Does the AFE intake make as much power as the Halltech?
I believe there are more AFEs running in the 9 second zone on this forum, even though Halltechs far out number AFEs from what I can tell. Have you ever heard the term, Band Wagon?

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:05 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Just think all that power and when you pop the hood you hear; look guys it's running a stock intake! Oh, and from a "quality/fit" stand point comparing the three IMO it's stock then AFE and last & least Halltech.

Down the road if your not happy, than I would consider running an AFE.
so I should be fine with the filter for now right
Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

so I should be fine with the filter for now right
That's what I would do, being you already have the BMS filter.

Also remember that GM will have a new C.A.I. out soon which you may prefer over an AFE if the BMS filter does not work out.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-18-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Halltech

We also tested Halltech at the very beginning
My boys in the workshop told me:
The Halltechproudukt is cheaper US shot, does not fit like Stco and costs a lot of money.

Nevertheless, we have two tested on the dyno.
Results: I do not need to tell, otherwise I get angry email and phone again.

AFE product fits perfectly and works well.

The BMS filter with small modifications it also works very well.
Well, we're testing now with awesome Supercharger Magnuson 2.3 2016 with Automatic
We are looking forward to the results

Cölestin
Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

The BMS drop in is $89 and easy to install yourself. I'd start with that. It gives just as much of a gain for a fraction of the price.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
The BMS drop in is $89 and easy to install yourself. I'd start with that. It gives just as much of a gain for a fraction of the price.
I’m Procharged and don’t need anything for air filters/ Bolt ons etc.

If doing bolt ons or as simple as a air filter or assembly..... BMS sounds like the first choice.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
40 rwhp from a cai LMFAO.
Base line is Stock with Halltech only!
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Not bothered about looks or fitment as I had it professionally installed.

49 rwhp with the Halltech on mine.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

So, "rough" fitting and may require a little more effort but VERY impressive gains for just an intake nevertheless.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1

Right in line with my dyno results! Then I just added a second on to my A8 and it feels more snappy.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Terry,

Getting a little old the way you jump in on threads to **** on Halltech to promote the air filter you sell. I don't have a dog in the fight but it's unusual to see one vendor talk **** about another's product.

My mother taught me if you don't have anything nice to say....

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 03-19-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Disappointment

Old 03-19-2018, 11:35 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1

This is a bolt on cai, and nothing else?

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Base line is Stock with Halltech only!

where is the stock baseline, this proves nothing.

Lots of wishful thinking going on in here
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I believe there are more AFEs running in the 9 second zone on this forum, even though Halltechs far out number AFEs from what I can tell. Have you ever heard the term, Band Wagon?
You don't have 1 single bit of proof to back that up! I think there is more Halltech owners on this forum ! Plus the ones I have seen get a better result ! You can say "BAND WAGON"

Old 03-19-2018, 11:38 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rikhek
Terry,

Getting a little old the way you jump in on threads to **** on Halltech to promote the air filter you sell. I don't have a dog in the fight but it's unusual to see one vendor talk **** about another's product.

My mother taught me if you don't have anything nice to say....

Rick

Looks like someone needs to do a bone stock, same day cai comparison with AF ratio

Quick Reply: Halltech Disappointment