C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Yellow bad Carbon Fiber? I'm about to order C7Z, need details

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Yellow bad Carbon Fiber? I'm about to order C7Z, need details

Hello everyone!

I have read on this forum that SOME of the carbon fiber put on these cars yellows and looks bad quickly. I want to avoid that. I was wanting to maybe do a carbon roof and carbon on the center of the hood and maybe carbon side skirts.

I guess the OTHER option I would consider is carbon flash paint, which would avoid the problem all together. Please share your thoughts and understandings of what carbon will be bad, and what will be good, who I should order from and who not to order from.

Thank you, Mike

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-16-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I missed the part about any yellowing but I don't follow posts about exposed carbon. My ZR1 had the exposed carbon and I don't see the value. I'll take a painted look on the top or hood any day. For my Corvette's

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-17-2018 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-16-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Vette E Boop
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 76 Posts

GM factory visible carbon fiber is a brownish tint with a hint of purple—not yellow—and a 3k-twill weave. If you install side skirts and splitters, any aftermarket parts you add will not match UNLESS you specifically order parts as described in my first sentence. I am aware of only two vendors who offer this: TKO Performance and directly from Nowicki—not through a middleman. TKO Performance has a very limited number with option to match GM. Nowicki will tint to match GM any parts displayed on their website. There is an up charge for this service.

I am very pleased with appearance of VCF option. I hope this helps. Good luck in your decision.

I just read second part of your question regarding ordering aftermarket. I was not aware Factory VCF was not black and had a specific twill.
I ordered VCF spoiler and rear diffuser from C7Carbon. Doesn’t match;
Hood extractor from RPI. Not only doesn’t match color or weave but it flows opposite of hood insert. They were wonderful and have allow d me to return it to APR;
Anderson Composite wheel flares. Doesn’t match and was very distracting due to part extending down behind canard on front splitter—two, different weaves and colors.
I purchased Stage 3 canards from a fellow forum member. They are glossy black and a different weave. Therefore, same issue as wheel flares.

I have a couple of pics on my phone of RPI/APR Hood Extractor installed next to my factory VCF Hood insert, if anyone would like me to text to them. I struggle with uploading pictures onto this site. It always says “file too large.”

Last edited by Vette E Boop; 03-17-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Thank you for the replies. My options seem to be to go ALL aftermarket and maybe stick with one vendor so it all matches, or go all factory, no mixing and matching it seems.

I too like the carbon flash paint, so perhaps i will just go that direction and keep things simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow bad Carbon Fiber? I'm about to order C7Z, need details

Quick Reply: Yellow bad Carbon Fiber? I'm about to order C7Z, need details