C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 warranty denied bc track

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Z06 warranty denied bc track

I just bought my friend 2015 z06 with 8000 miles on it. He purchased it about 6 months ago and sold it to me to order a zr1. When I drove it I noticed a high pitched whining noise from the rear. He thought it was from improper wear on rack and pinion in rear diff. We took it to the track a couple months later for the first time. We followed gms track prep to the letter with oil,brake and rear diff fluid changes. I bought the car a couple weeks ago and took it to my dealer in Charleston sc to see if they could diagnose the noise. They asked if it had been tracked, I was honest and said 1 time and have receipts for the fluid use for track prep. They said it the rear diff was "burned up" it wasn't covered. It was almost like they made up their mind before looking at the car. The said it was the worst looking differential they had seen and it was our fault for tracking it. I spoke to upper level gm advisor and they will not honor the warrenty. Has anyone else had this issue of a track car your not supposed to track or you lose the warrenty?

Popular Reply

03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
tieppers
Cruising

Update. after re evaluating the diff the regional rep looked at the pics and determined it was not from overheating .. GM is covering it.. Local service manager went to bat for me for sure after we examined everything in detail. Thanks for all the advice but be sure to keep very good records of track prep if you are going to track it.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

That doesn't make sense I had Tadge himself tell me to my face to go race mine and have fun. As long as you didn't mod the car it should be covered. I would fight it.

https://jalopnik.com/scared-to-take-...cha-1768765826

And why would they have printed this: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf

"Please Note: The Corvette Z06, Corvette Grand Sport and Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package are the recommended models for track use."

See page 164: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

"Please Note: Participating in track events or other competitive driving without following the instructions provided may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty manual before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving."

Last edited by Redc8z06; 03-19-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tieppers
I just bought my friend 2015 z06 with 8000 miles on it. He purchased it about 6 months ago and sold it to me to order a zr1. When I drove it I noticed a high pitched whining noise from the rear. He thought it was from improper wear on rack and pinion in rear diff. We took it to the track a couple months later for the first time. We followed gms track prep to the letter with oil,brake and rear diff fluid changes. I bought the car a couple weeks ago and took it to my dealer in Charleston sc to see if they could diagnose the noise. They asked if it had been tracked, I was honest and said 1 time and have receipts for the fluid use for track prep. They said it the rear diff was "burned up" it wasn't covered. It was almost like they made up their mind before looking at the car. The said it was the worst looking differential they had seen and it was our fault for tracking it. I spoke to upper level gm advisor and they will not honor the warrenty. Has anyone else had this issue of a track car your not supposed to track or you lose the warrenty?
It sounds like you need to visit another dealership or contact GM directly to handle this warranty issue. If the rear end was serviced properly there should not be a warranty rejection because of track time. Can you tell us a little more about what was damaged in the rear? Was it the E-diff section or the ring and pinion?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Above are the pics of my "burned up" rear diff?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM
tieppers
Cruising

I asked to speak to my regional rep and the service manager wouldn't get me in touch.. Im picking the car up paying $600 for labor and waiting for GM to step up. This is my 3rd vette and I cant believe this is how gm stands by their track car.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Definitely a crappy situation and I feel for ya. On one hand, I think GM should cover this but on the other hand, it's hard to really expect them to cover a car that's been taken to a track. You may have done everything by the book but it would be crazy for GM (or anyone else) to offer blanket coverage for a car that's been tracked once or 100 times. That said, I'd fight them if I was in your shoes...
Old 03-19-2018, 03:09 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Tracking the vehicle should not be justification for denial, modifications or improper maintenance are valid reasons. There are have been several issues documented here on Z06 diffs. Go to the GM website and start contacting people.
The following users liked this post:
motodavid2000 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I'd fight it. The car is supposedly built for the track.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Tort
Racer

Built for the track and warrantied for track use are two completely different things. Track use is absolutely a reason to deny a claim. I do hope they cover it though!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM
gunnyosu
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
I'd fight it. The car is supposedly built for the track.
Agreed, this is ridiculous to not be covered. GM needs to step up.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by tieppers
When I drove it I noticed a high pitched whining noise from the rear.
Unfortunately, this is due to improper break-in. Whether at the track or not, this is precisely why you take it easy on the car for its first 500 or so miles. Failure to do this will probably result in: a howling differential. Just like what you're experiencing.

This is a fault of the previous owner. But it's not something GM should be expected to cover under warranty at all. Not in the least. It's documented plainly in the owners manual that you're supposed to take it easy on the car for the first 500 miles, and don't touch a race track for the first 1500 miles!

There are reasons why those statements exist in the manual. Unfortunately, it's on you to replace the diff now that you own the car. That is the only fix for it.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

if the dealer has been doing "too many" diff repairs then GM will flag them and potentially not pay them for the work, based on a per capita failure rate so the dealer may be quick to deny your claim for different circumstances than it not being coverable by GM.

GM has the last say, I agree let GM make the call or take it to another dealer.
jbsblownc5 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
Unfortunately, this is due to improper break-in. Whether at the track or not, this is precisely why you take it easy on the car for its first 500 or so miles. Failure to do this will probably result in: a howling differential. Just like what you're experiencing.

This is a fault of the previous owner. But it's not something GM should be expected to cover under warranty at all. Not in the least. It's documented plainly in the owners manual that you're supposed to take it easy on the car for the first 500 miles, and don't touch a race track for the first 1500 miles!

There are reasons why those statements exist in the manual. Unfortunately, it's on you to replace the diff now that you own the car. That is the only fix for it.
If this is the result of improper break in then it will be denied. The dealerships denial based on the fact that it had been tracked is not the proper reason. Since he bought the car with 8000 miles and it had the whine when he got it, his buddy may have dodged a bullet.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by silver74vette
The dealerships denial based on the fact that it had been tracked is not the proper reason.
Based on.....? Please show me where it says their warranty covers track use. Not arguing, I genuinely would like to know where you found this information that led you to believe track use is part of the standard warranty coverage.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by silver74vette
If this is the result of improper break in then it will be denied. The dealerships denial based on the fact that it had been tracked is not the proper reason. Since he bought the car with 8000 miles and it had the whine when he got it, his buddy may have dodged a bullet.
How is it known that the car was tracked before thorough break in period by the prior owner? I see no mention of it in OP's post. Did I miss it?

Not saying it's the only way to go, but the C7 owner in the thread below had his track prep work done by the dealer and his dealer went to bat for him. Long thread but you could be out big bucks if you don't prevail ($5300+ at dealer prices).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-a-z51.html

Last edited by AORoads; 03-19-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 warranty denied bc track

Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
How is it known that the car was tracked before thorough break in period by the prior owner? I see no mention of it in OP's post. Did I miss it?
I was responding to JVP's post and said that "if" it was from improper break-in GM could not honor the warranty. Analysis of the wear marks and tolerances in the unit could provide a the data that GM would need to make that determination.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

There is another known issues with both Stingray's and Z06's coming from the factory with low fluid level in their differential and had to be topped off or as many of us did just drained and refilled it to the proper level. Mine was low.

Maybe yours was as well and why the noise?

You can read other corvette forums where owners heard whining noises which went away after finding the diff fluid low and topping it off.
GSpeed (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:14 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Tort
Based on.....? Please show me where it says their warranty covers track use. Not arguing, I genuinely would like to know where you found this information that led you to believe track use is part of the standard warranty coverage.
Tells you in the book that came with the car. Page 165.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

Participating in track events or other
competitive driving without following
the instructions provided may affect
the vehicle warranty. See the
warranty manual before using the
vehicle for racing or other
competitive driving.
pjazz (03-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Z06 warranty denied bc track