C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 warranty denied bc track

Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by silver74vette
Tells you in the book that came with the car. Page 165.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

Participating in track events or other
competitive driving without following
the instructions provided may affect
the vehicle warranty. See the
warranty manual before using the
vehicle for racing or other
competitive driving.
I've seen stuff like the below posted for the new Camaro which is very reassuring but, the way it's worded for the Z06 seems like it would be far more difficult to win the battle if they show the car has been tracked.
“If you’re not modifying your car and you take your production car to a track day and you have an issue with one of your parts, it’s covered under warranty,” [Camaro chief engineer Al] Oppenheiser told Motor Authority. “That’s pride of craftsmanship that we know it will stand up to track use.”
Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,565 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by silver74vette
Tells you in the book that came with the car. Page 165.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...s%20Manual.pdf

Participating in track events or other
competitive driving without following
the instructions provided may affect
the vehicle warranty. See the
warranty manual before using the
vehicle for racing or other
competitive driving.

Which is the same thing I pointed out in Post #2.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
Which is the same thing I pointed out in Post #2.
Which was edited and added after the fact to post #2.
The following users liked this post:
Redc8z06 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Looks like they are trying to pull a Nissan GTR on you. "Yes, the car has launch control but we will void your warranty if you use it". Lawyer up
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Sounds like this is a good problem to send a letter to Mary Barra about. First, the dealer's tracking response is suspicious and the fact they will not let you talk to the GM rep is suspicious. When you have a dealership like that you need to start at the top and Mary sits right at the top. Every time I have sent letters to the President or CEO of GM I have received excellent results. Just politely tell them the problem, what will make you happy (don't make it a guessing game) and you should receive some sort of acknowledgement from somebody assigned to review the case within a short time after the letter has been received. Include copies of all repair invoices and amounts you have paid. The first time I did this the dealer was found to be charging me for the repair and then turning around and charging GM for the repair under warranty. That complaint had a few people at GM upset.

Bill
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by desibaba
Lawyer up
...and go after the guy that sold the OP the car. Not GM.

Good luck with that one. It was likely sold in an "As Is" state, meaning there's probably nothing our OP can do but take it on the chin and pay for it himself.

Last edited by jvp; 03-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

just got back from inspecting the diff at the dealer. It clearly hasnt overheated or burned up. Just improper wear and tear on the rack and pinion probably from improper factory set up. most likely the same noise i read about in lengthy posts here on the forum where the only fix is a new diff. This has zero to do with the track and the corvette tech almost admitted it. The service manager said hes tired of seeing gm deny so many claims so hes not willing to risk it..Great warranty...def. not going to drop 130 k on a zr1 with a company that wont cover the warranty when somethings not right. The manager is going to try to get the local rep to reconsider but im not holding my breath. It just makes me mad that they basically made up there minds that they wouldnt cover it befoe even breaking down the diff.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Did I miss where it stated whether the rear was, or was not, properly broke in, or is JVP just being a douche for no reason?
GSpeed (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,565 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by tieppers
just got back from inspecting the diff at the dealer. It clearly hasnt overheated or burned up. Just improper wear and tear on the rack and pinion probably from improper factory set up. most likely the same noise i read about in lengthy posts here on the forum where the only fix is a new diff. This has zero to do with the track and the corvette tech almost admitted it. The service manager said hes tired of seeing gm deny so many claims so hes not willing to risk it..Great warranty...def. not going to drop 130 k on a zr1 with a company that wont cover the warranty when somethings not right. The manager is going to try to get the local rep to reconsider but im not holding my breath. It just makes me mad that they basically made up there minds that they wouldnt cover it befoe even breaking down the diff.
So lesson learn when a dealer asks you were you racing or on the track when it happen the answer is no. Let them prove otherwise....

I'll still bet the fluid level was low from the factory.

Last edited by Redc8z06; 03-19-2018 at 05:21 PM.
mcoomer (03-23-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Unfortunately, this is due to improper break-in. Whether at the track or not, this is precisely why you take it easy on the car for its first 500 or so miles. Failure to do this will probably result in: a howling differential. Just like what you're experiencing.

This is a fault of the previous owner. But it's not something GM should be expected to cover under warranty at all. Not in the least. It's documented plainly in the owners manual that you're supposed to take it easy on the car for the first 500 miles, and don't touch a race track for the first 1500 miles!
Amazing that you can tell from all the way across the Internet that the car was abused.

My 2015 Z06 was broken in perfectly per the manual and my diff still went at about 750 miles. And of course GM covered it.

It's not that I reject your theory that improper breakin can cause a failure, because that part is true. The part where you attribute every diff failure to owner negligence? That's must nonsense.

Unless I missed it, there's no indication that the track use was during the breakin period.

Last edited by davepl; 03-19-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Unless I missed it, there's no indication that the track use was during the breakin period.
I never said there was. Read my statement carefully. And with that, please also reference Occam's razor.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

That Service Manager is blowing smoke. GM honors their warranty even for track related failures. There are a lot of incidents of people having failures over the years and GM covering the failure. From the way the guy sounds the dealership is being watched closely by GM for fraud. Were you actually talking to the Service Manager or the flunky that meets you when you drive in the shop and writes up your repair concern?

How do you know whether or not he ever talks to the GM rep? If this isn't covered you need to insist on talking to the GM rep when he comes by. That may mean leaving work to go see him when he/she is at the dealership.

Talk to somebody in GM and the best person is at the top. You will get a response.

Bill
Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
if the dealer has been doing "too many" diff repairs then GM will flag them and potentially not pay them for the work, based on a per capita failure rate so the dealer may be quick to deny your claim for different circumstances than it not being coverable by GM.
The service manager said hes tired of seeing gm deny so many claims so hes not willing to risk it.The manager is going to try to get the local rep to reconsider but im not holding my breath. It just makes me mad that they basically made up there minds that they wouldnt cover it befoe even breaking down the diff.
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
From the way the guy sounds the dealership is being watched closely by GM for fraud.
GSpeed (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

The service manager said hes tired of seeing gm deny so many claims so hes not willing to risk it.
Maybe if he's tired of DOING HIS JOB, he should find another one. Also, exactly what is he "risking"?

Again, it's his JOB to submit repairs for warranty for YOUR car. YOU are the vehicle owner, the warranty is a contract between you (as a successor to the original owner). Manufacturer's warrant the vehicle and the warranty transfers with the car. Aftermarket or third part warranties are often a different story, but not the GM warranty.

Tell him to shut up and do his job. Or, find another SM who actually understands what his role is in the process.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Tort
Built for the track and warrantied for track use are two completely different things. Track use is absolutely a reason to deny a claim. I do hope they cover it though!
Well personally if that's the case then the power is pointless. i guess we are just paying extra for bragging rights.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

GM published a list of cars which are covered on track, Z06 included. I don’t have it handy, but I’m sure you can find it if you google it.

It’s one of the key things that separated the Z06 from the GT3. The porsche owners manual specifically states track use voids the warranty.

I’m planning to buy a ZR1, but ONLY if track use is covered.

If the OP isn’t taken care of, I’ll have to reconsider the ZR1.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,496 Likes on 2,591 Posts

The C7 e-difs are known to be under filled with fluid from the contractor Linimar. Checking the dif fluid level is not part of the PDI, even at Museum delivery. One CA customer took Museum delivery and oly made it to TX before the under filled dif failed.

Talk to you service adviser about this, likely no satisfaction, the go thru GM channels.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 warranty denied bc track

Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I think Bill has given the best advice. If you don’t get help from the Service Manager a well written letter to Mary Barra should help.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by fleming23
Did I miss where it stated whether the rear was, or was not, properly broke in, or is JVP just being a douche for no reason?
Exactly my thoughts. Typical fanboi attitude of him. Unless the diff is cracked I see no reason to jump to that conclusion.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

. Just improper wear and tear on the rack and pinion probably from improper factory set up.
Hope you get this resolved. I noticed that a couple of times you referred to the rearend problem as a rack and pinion issue. That is the steering rack in the front of the car. You probably mean to say ring and pinion which is the gearset in the rearend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 warranty denied bc track