C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Warning Buying Out Of State Z In CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:44 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

It has been all the same for emissions regulations for several years now, but very shortly we will again be an outlier. No way that Ca will allow the state to roll back the future emissions regulations. We tend to value our ability to breathe here and to actually see the San Gabriel Mountains most days. For anyone that has been here for years it is a world of difference with the cleaner cars. Anyone that does not think that they help should take a quick vacation to any large city in China. Best to pack a gas mask for the trip. Sometimes the regulations seem petty until you are faced with the alternative.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (04-09-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
It has been all the same for emissions regulations for several years now, but very shortly we will again be an outlier. No way that Ca will allow the state to roll back the future emissions regulations. We tend to value our ability to breathe here and to actually see the San Gabriel Mountains most days. For anyone that has been here for years it is a world of difference with the cleaner cars. Anyone that does not think that they help should take a quick vacation to any large city in China. Best to pack a gas mask for the trip. Sometimes the regulations seem petty until you are faced with the alternative.
I agree about the improved air quality over the years. I have lived in LA, San Diego and now the Central Valley for all my life. I have no issues with the smog regs, it's just DMV employees could give a Sh*t about the consumer. No help what so ever to get this error corrected.

I can't even get a temporary operating permit with the red tagged status of the car. They have no form (according to them) to reverse the red tagged status. I surly still drive it and carry all the BS paper work to explain to CHP if stopped.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:18 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

So you have applied for the plates and that is in process because you got the hood sticker, but you have no temporary plate now? I agree that all the paperwork should be ok so long as the officer that stops you is not in a really bad mood.

Sorry for the mess.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
So you have applied for the plates and that is in process because you got the hood sticker, but you have no temporary plate now? I agree that all the paperwork should be ok so long as the officer that stops you is not in a really bad mood.

Sorry for the mess.
No, the dealer needed the VIN verification and smog to process the paper work for me as that is their deal. Once CA DMV gets all the stuff from them is when the red tagged status will pop up. At that point I will have to plead my case with DMV.

I wish I had financed it as I'm sure the bank would go to hell and back to get this done.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:59 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Sucks! Sorry you are going through this. Your old Z06 was my 3rd CA Vette purchase. The previous 13 GS nightmare could make a good movie. Gal traded in the used 2010 GS we flew 1 way to buy while I was in the air with the wife. BMW dealer she traded it to wanted same $ as new 13 GS at the time. I then called Boardwalk Chev & bought a new 2013 GS. It had square tires, chips in paint & damaged dashboard. They wouldn't fix or swap tires. Returned it after 5 mile drive. Looked for another then repurchased it as used the next day. Drove to Salt lake with square tires. Discount tire warrantied tires, but now the blizzard had beat us to the Rockies. Raced the southern route trying to beat the storm. Storm won. We got stranded in snow in Colorado Springs. Waited 2 days for friends to bring my enclosed trailer from MN. Then spent the next year fighting with DMV & dealer over improper registration & tax. Fought with GM & dealer over dash & paint. Once it was all over I hated the car so much I sold it. I like an adventure. That was not fun. Your old Z made it home zero issues. I was worried about our DMV not liking your wives name on title without signature. In my name now
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John B
Sucks! Sorry you are going through this. Your old Z06 was my 3rd CA Vette purchase. The previous 13 GS nightmare could make a good movie. Gal traded in the used 2010 GS we flew 1 way to buy while I was in the air with the wife. BMW dealer she traded it to wanted same $ as new 13 GS at the time. I then called Boardwalk Chev & bought a new 2013 GS. It had square tires, chips in paint & damaged dashboard. They wouldn't fix or swap tires. Returned it after 5 mile drive. Looked for another then repurchased it as used the next day. Drove to Salt lake with square tires. Discount tire warrantied tires, but now the blizzard had beat us to the Rockies. Raced the southern route trying to beat the storm. Storm won. We got stranded in snow in Colorado Springs. Waited 2 days for friends to bring my enclosed trailer from MN. Then spent the next year fighting with DMV & dealer over improper registration & tax. Fought with GM & dealer over dash & paint. Once it was all over I hated the car so much I sold it. I like an adventure. That was not fun. Your old Z made it home zero issues. I was worried about our DMV not liking your wives name on title without signature. In my name now
Hey John,

You and your adventures, that's one *****d up trip. I am loving the new Z it's amazing. Glad this last trip to CA didn't have that much drama......
Old 04-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Ya know getting up Saturday morning to find four inches of snow on the ground I thought was insane, till I read this thread. Northeast Ohio, we call it spring.

Originally Posted by Jnape
As big as CA DMV is why cant they source the VIN from the Mfg. and see the 50 state as well as CA compliance as built.
Remember the GEICO commercial where the pig is getting his drivers license renewed, that must of taken place in California no doubt.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:48 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Had a friend who owns a resto shop go to the DMV last week to register an old BMW 633 that was purchased out of state. He got to the counter and realized he didn't have the smog test result sheet that includes the certification number for the passed smog test. The counter clerk says they can't do anything without that certification number. Not the sheet, you keep that, just the number. He called my son (who works part time in the shop) to see if he could find it in the office. No luck in finding it. My son did, however, know you can pull up smog test results by VIN on the CA DMV website, as he's had to log on there in the past to get test histories.

The kid pulls up the web page on his phone, does a screen capture of the CA DMV page showing the certification number for the passed test, sends to my friend while he's still at the counter, and the clerk enters the number off the phone.

Could the clerk have simply logged on to some internal database to get the certification? Apparently not. You can, however, log on for them and get the data off their own web page and provide it to them off your phone...
Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Updated on first post
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Hey, at least it's done and behind you now. Ridiculous process but what can you do?
Jnape (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Man, the OP has some wide feet. What are those, 4E?

Congats that it worked out. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place at the DMV/DOL a few months ago with them stuck in a "no issue" title mode, making me wait 3 years to see if anyone reported my (old classic) car stolen before I could have it. No logic, no rationale, just that's the easiest thing for them to do.

So I had to keep trying different places until I found one where the guy would do actual legwork to help me, he called the Capitol and we got it issued. But those hours/days of dealing with the non-caring people who wouldn't listen to reason were stressful!

Last edited by davepl; 05-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Man, the OP has some wide feet. What are those, 4E?

Congats that it worked out. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place at the DMV/DOL a few months ago with them stuck in a "no issue" title mode, making me wait 3 years to see if anyone reported my (old classic) car stolen before I could have it. No logic, no rationale, just that's the easiest thing for them to do.

So I had to keep trying different places until I found one where the guy would do actual legwork to help me, he called the Capitol and we got it issued. But those hours/days of dealing with the non-caring people who wouldn't listen to reason were stressful!
Ha Ha yup 4E alright. Heal Toe blip braking is a bitch lol. Love the decent rev match on the C7.
Man I thought my journey was a bitch but your story is outright scary.
Mindless people in high places.......
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

^^^ BTW, just FYI, I have the same shoes because they're one of the few made in a 4E, so it was just a lucky guess! You can't actually tell from a photo :-)

Although I do sometimes get tangled up in narrow European footboxes, I find that wide feet actually -help- heel and toe, at least the way I do it (which is all toe and no heel for me).

Last edited by davepl; 05-24-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Jnape (05-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Warning Buying Out Of State Z In CA