C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Warning Buying Out Of State Z In CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

As I understand it, there is a 50 state car and there is CA compliant 50 state car. The car needs to have YF5 option code to be a CA compliant car and be registered here with less than 7,500 miles.

If you don't have YF5, but you do have 50 state (FE9 code) emissions, you can still register here, but not before it has 7,500 miles on it.

I've seen this happen to several CA residents, but I have never seen one that could not ever be sold or registered here.

Did the DMV VIN Verification agent even check the option codes or simply fail it because there was no sticker on the hood? You can get a new emissions sticker from your local dealer if you provide them paperwork showing you own the car and and the VIN.

RICH
The following users liked this post:
Jnape (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Another thought is to post up in the regional forum and see if anyone will simply swap hoods with you for a few days.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:17 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

It's always something here in Taxifornia. If it isn't today, it will be tomorrow. Glad you found a solution.
Jnape (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
As I understand it, there is a 50 state car and there is CA compliant 50 state car. The car needs to have YF5 option code to be a CA compliant car and be registered here with less than 7,500 miles.

If you don't have YF5, but you do have 50 state (FE9 code) emissions, you can still register here, but not before it has 7,500 miles on it.

I've seen this happen to several CA residents, but I have never seen one that could not ever be sold or registered here.

Did the DMV VIN Verification agent even check the option codes or simply fail it because there was no sticker on the hood? You can get a new emissions sticker from your local dealer if you provide them paperwork showing you own the car and and the VIN.

RICH
Hi Rich,

No the DMV agent didn't lookup by VIN to verify she just failed it based on no sticker. The original owner still has the hood and sent me a pic of the sticker. It does have a separate CA class / stds. of PC / LEV160 so I should be good to go when the new sticker arrives.

PS.
Your going to be my new shop and I am so stoked that you are near me.....

Thanks,
John

Last edited by Jnape; 03-23-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Puttnutt24 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

OP that sucks. The car looked awesome too. That hood is an Exposed Carbon with clear window, made by ACS Composites. I think it's around $2k-$3k. I like how it looks to be honest.
Jnape (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnape
Hi Rich,

No the DMV agent didn't lookup by VIN to verify she just failed it based on no sticker. The original owner still has the hood and sent me a pic of the sticker. It does have a separate CA class / stds. of PC / LEV160 so I should be good to go when the new sticker arrives.

PS.

Thanks,
John
You'll be extremely happy with Rich at Abel. We in the Bay Area are lucky to have a Chebby dealer who we can trust, provides excellent service and will go to bat for us.
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
Jnape (03-23-2018), RichieRichZ06 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP
OP that sucks. The car looked awesome too. That hood is an Exposed Carbon with clear window, made by ACS Composites. I think it's around $2k-$3k. I like how it looks to be honest.
The hood looks amazing and the underside is very cool with all the exposed carbon fiber. ACS does killer work, they did the Stinger hood I had on my '02Z.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:23 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I could as my daughter lives in Sparks, I have considered it and the bonus is CA wouldn't get a dime...
Yeah, then you have the "tell on your neighbor just to be a d*ck" program Commiefornia has. Or the cops that interrogate you when you get stopped and ask if you REALLY live in NV.

I'd put it on the dealer in NJ to jump through the hoops and get you a sticker personally...put it on them to make it good for you....it's their ball drop.
Jnape (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi Rich,

PS.

Thanks,
John
Ok. So if you had a non-compliant car, you could just switch hoods with a car that had the sticker and be OK. Or you could just buy a sticker for $35. Totally makes sense in California.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:40 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Ok. So if you had a non-compliant car, you could just switch hoods with a car that had the sticker and be OK. Or you could just buy a sticker for $35. Totally makes sense in California.
Rich said it best above. If your car has the YF5 RPO than you have no issue. If not than you need 7500 miles or more BEFORE you buy it and operate in CA. It is all about that option that requires the Mfg. to give more warranty on the emission components and not the actual vehicle being built different. I bet CA. evens gets a TAX on the Mfg. using the sticker of which WE pay.....

Last edited by Jnape; 03-25-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Rich said it best above. If your car has the YF5 RPO than you have no issue. If not than you need 7500 miles or more BEFORE you buy it and operate in CA. It is all about that option that requires the Mfg. to give more warranty on the emission components and not the actual vehicle being built different. I bet CA. evens gets a TAX on the Mfg. using the sticker of which WE pay.....
Sorry I didn't mean TAX I meant FEE as that is the new term for our STUPID TAXS
Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 AM
ShelJW
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries snowflake you would fit right in here.
Libs didn't do this to me they have screwed over the ENTIRE state.

It's all good I will beat these idiots......
I was born in Los Angeles.

in the early '70s you'd drive on the 405 freeway, and not be able to see the mountains, through the disgusting brown haze of smog. We weren't allowed to go outside for recess numerous days, because the air was so bad!

it's easy to forget now how bad the air was. I can't remember a day in the past 3 decades where I've seen smog.

Liberal California, with an economy that's larger then all countries except the largest 5 , forced car manufacturers to clean up their cars, and stop them from spewing pollution that was literally killing our kids, in all cars, not just those bound for California.

Yeah... I have to go get smog checked every few years, and it costs me a few bucks. And cars weren't the only thing polluting the air, but it was a major contributor.

Damn libs!
robertbruce (04-09-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:05 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

No worries snowflake you would fit right in here.
Libs didn't do this to me they have screwed over the ENTIRE state.

It's all good I will beat these idiots......
Hey man just a thought here: if you bought this from a dealership, then they are liable for selling you a vehicle that not only fails to meet CA emissions, but actually all 50 states. Furthermore, you as an owner, no longer benefit from the federally mandated Emmissions Warranty.

All because if the missing stickers. The dealership should not have accepted the car in trade without the proper 50 state emmissions documentation, and that is those stickers. And they should not have sold you the vehicle with defective emmissions "equipment". This violates a federal law on tampering with emmissions equipment, which includes these stickers. I know it sounds silly, but thats how it actually works. You have legal recourse here.

So rather than trying to chase stickers and hoods around at your cost and time, I would suggest you put pressure on the dealership to either resolve the problem at their expense, or you will have no choice but to return the vehicle and cancel the transaction at their expense, including shipping it back to NJ.

There is no doubt that you will have one hell of a time selling the car as things are now, and not just in CA. So you need to protect yourself.

As for your response to the other guy, I agree. Liberal hell. Thats why I got the heck out of there last year and moved to Fl. Best decision I made.

Good luck.

Last edited by TTRotary; 04-05-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Jnape (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:56 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

RICH
Rich, I don't think that is totally true. Yes the YF5 is Ca compliant but the 50 state Fed code although different on the vehicle order still will get an emissions sticker the last few years that lists both Fed and Ca compliance. Without the sticker, you could rely on the order for the vin but in this case the order would show the 50 state emissions. Even though that is now equivalent, the law moves in slow and mysterious ways and the DMV needs to see the sticker that shows Ca emissions. Many of us have registered 50 state cars where the order code showed 50 state emission not the Ca YF5 code, but having the sticker say Ca emissions compliance was enough. Hopefully the OP has gotten his new sticker by now.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:25 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
Rich, I don't think that is totally true. Yes the YF5 is Ca compliant but the 50 state Fed code although different on the vehicle order still will get an emissions sticker the last few years that lists both Fed and Ca compliance. Without the sticker, you could rely on the order for the vin but in this case the order would show the 50 state emissions. Even though that is now equivalent, the law moves in slow and mysterious ways and the DMV needs to see the sticker that shows Ca emissions. Many of us have registered 50 state cars where the order code showed 50 state emission not the Ca YF5 code, but having the sticker say Ca emissions compliance was enough. Hopefully the OP has gotten his new sticker by now.
I have the sticker and DMV did the VIN check no problem. I asked the DMV clerk (20 years on the job) what happens when the dealer submits all the paper work for processing and sees the RED FLAG they have put on the VIN.
She said that the new verified VIN check document WILL NOT cancel the RED FLAG. She had no clue as what to do and just said be ready to fight it with all of my documentation........

Stay tuned and drink a lot.......
Old 04-06-2018, 06:17 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I have the sticker and DMV did the VIN check no problem. I asked the DMV clerk (20 years on the job) what happens when the dealer submits all the paper work for processing and sees the RED FLAG they have put on the VIN.
She said that the new verified VIN check document WILL NOT cancel the RED FLAG. She had no clue as what to do and just said be ready to fight it with all of my documentation........

Stay tuned and drink a lot.......
from your original post “If it had 7500+ miles no issues at all and it is MINE. As of today I can never register this vehicle in CA, sell or transfer this vehicle to a CA resident or business”- —————————-
As you go through all the
commy-fornia nonsense and keep driving the car - are you ok once it gets 7500 miles. Or can you drive it to 7500 miles and sell it to a fellow commy-fornian and are they free and clear?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-06-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Jnape (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Sucks OP. Hope everything works out ok for you. When I sold my C6 (in NJ) to a member here who lived in California, he asked me to send him a pic of that carb sticker. Was a big deal to him. Before that never paid any attention to it. Crazy to think someone peels or off or changes a hood and it screws up someone that bad wow.
Jnape (04-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Warning Buying Out Of State Z In CA

Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Congratulations on your new driveable Z06. Enjoy.

And this should be a lesson to all fellow Californians; never buy an out of state car with low miles unless you have a current picture of the emissions sticker and it shows Ca compliance.

Back in 12 I bought an 08 out of Texas with 4200 miles. I had read the DMV page on registering out of state vehicles so did ask for a picture of the emissions sticker and frankly was surprised when it said it had Ca emissions as the car was always a Tx car. But it did and I had no problem registering it in Ca. Flew to Austin and drove it back. A fun trip. The trip back was Austin/Houston/Ca so added 1800 miles to the 4200. And knowing the law, I could have driven it an additional 1500 if need be to get it registered without the sticker. The key is to not be surprised by some of these crazy regulations.

Last edited by pkincy; 04-06-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

from your original post “If it had 7500+ miles no issues at all and it is MINE. As of today I can never register this vehicle in CA, sell or transfer this vehicle to a CA resident or business”- —————————-
As you go through all the
commy-fornia nonsense and keep driving the car - are you ok once it gets 7500 miles. Or can you drive it to 7500 miles and sell it to a fellow commy-fornian and are they free and clear?
Nope as it stands right now no matter how many miles are on the car it can NEVER be registered in CA. because it has entered the state PRIOR to having 7500 miles.

But they are wrong it is a CA compliant car so I will win in the end.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
Congratulations on your new driveable Z06. Enjoy.

And this should be a lesson to all fellow Californians; never buy an out of state car with low miles unless you have a current picture of the emissions sticker and it shows Ca compliance.

Back in 12 I bought an 08 out of Texas with 4200 miles. I had read the DMV page on registering out of state vehicles so did ask for a picture of the emissions sticker and frankly was surprised when it said it had Ca emissions as the car was always a Tx car. But it did and I had no problem registering it in Ca. Flew to Austin and drove it back. A fun trip. The trip back was Austin/Houston/Ca so added 1800 miles to the 4200. And knowing the law, I could have driven it an additional 1500 if need be to get it registered without the sticker. The key is to not be surprised by some of these crazy regulations.
I should have been up to speed on that stuff but I thought all new cars were 50 state compliant and never thought we had 51 States to worry about lol....

Quick Reply: Warning Buying Out Of State Z In CA